Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

OatmealRaisin posted:

FFX: The International version (...) wasn't released outside of Japan

Well, excuse me! Europe exists, you know. Our version of FFX had black borders and ran at 50hz but it had everything the International version had.

OatmealRaisin posted:

Is the HD remake going to be based on the International version?

It's not a HD remake, but a "remaster", which means they just upscale the graphics and call it a day. It will most likely use the International version as a basis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Schwartzcough posted:

Is this actually based on any hard evidence, or just the collective finger-crossing of the fan community? I'd like to believe if they ever release a XII HD that they release the international version, but that sounds like exactly the sort of way SE would just love to crush people's hopes.

Putting aside your theories on how SE has nothing better to do but "crush people's hopes", did you read the rest of my post? Europe got the International version. There's no reason for them not to use the International version as the basis for their HD edition. The same isn't as obvious when it comes to FFXII, but for FFX? They would have to avoid doing it on purpose.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I'll keep saying Ultimate Saga was one of my favorite PS2 games 'til the day I grow old and die.

Mansion Maniac posted:

Maybe I should have tacked on that I haven't found an FF enjoyable since it left the PS1.

Lost Odyssey has way more in common with the PS1 FF games than the later ones. Give it a try at least.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

p.crestmont posted:

That explains why XII stands out as different (much better)

Does it now? Vaan was just confused as a generic Nomura character and, dear god, Ashe's design is a terrible abortion. Hookers don't dress like that, much less Queens.

I love XII, but its character design wasn't "much better".

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Ah, you guys hate fun. Nathilus just listed every reason why AC was so hilariously absurd while remaining completely awesome.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I'm amused people used to consider FFVIII's plot a trainwreck to the point that the Squall is dead and Rinoa is Ultimecia theories had to be created to explain the plot. And yet, nothing can save FFXIII. :toot:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Krad posted:

Speaking of XIII, I'm still waiting for ANY kind of news regarding Agito. Maybe at E3? :sigh:

Isn't Agito the one named Type-0. It's been out in Japan for a while now with a Vita re-edition coming to the West, AFAIK.

vvvv actually, that would be pretty cool. I'd rather play it on my PS3 than buy a Vita for it. Not a chance in hell it will happen, though.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 17:40 on May 22, 2012

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Versus XIII may come out in 2015, but by then Nomura will want to use a new engine and port the game to the PS4, so 2017. Maybe.

NikkolasKing posted:

I think you got that backwards actually.

I played both and I know which plot I liked and which one I didn't. Thank you. I'll take the monsters on the moon dropping in a funnel to Earth while Squall just whatevers the gently caress out of them, any day.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Squall is completely out during the whole thing. The player doesn't witness anything that happened between him getting pierced apart and him waking up healed. There's nothing incredibly obtuse about it; we were playing only on his point of view until then, and it made thematic sense to continue to do so at least until he woke up. It's not rocket science.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Yeah, if my last memory was of me being pierced by a magic icicle and bleed to death in front of Rinoa, when I would next wake up I wouldn't even wonder what the hell happened and why there is no longer a hole in my chest. Makes sense.

But please, carry on your rant and ignore everyone making a point outright explaining why your argument is silly.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Is there an exhaustive list somewhere of everything that changed or was added in the X/X-2 remakes? I can only find some news articles that give a small overview of the changes, but this is the Internet -- surely someone made an absurdly vast list of the changes.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Exactly what I wanted. Thanks.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I have eight hours left to decide if I want to preorder Type-0 on Steam or not. I have not played any version of this game before even though it caught my eye way back on the PSP. I also know the story is a huge mess, though not the details because I didn't want to spoiler myself. So it's a good time for someone to convince me not to buy this thing 'cause I'm listening. On the good side it's 22€ with bonus Dota 2 items I can probably flip to lower up the price even more. On the other, I don't see anyone clamoring for it anywhere.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Goddamn it, you guys, don't make me go read reviews. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Some people like it, some people don't. It's an okay game but nothing special and despite how much work they did on it nothing can disguise that it's a PSP game blown up to 1080p.

All right, no red flags and I can live with the downsides of the upperscaling/remastering process.

I'm probably only buying it because of my schoolgirl uniform fetish.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Andrast posted:

Buy it when it's $5 or less on a Steam sale.

Welp, guess this is what I'm doing. Storefront was reporting that there was still six hours left to preorder and then they released the game out of nowhere "SURPRISE!" so goodbye preorder bonus and discount. Six hours would have been more than enough time to get home and grab my CC to buy it, but meh.

On the plus side someone will probably release a mod to unlock framerate and/or improve textures by the time it's on sale.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

From my Steam feed:

I half-regret, half-love the fact I didn't preorder this thing.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

My favorite Triple Triad memory is (spoiler for disc 3 of FF8) the space station being ready to blow up and Squall stops everything to ask Ellone to play a children's card game and she's completely baffled "Now??". You're the best Squall, don't let anyone say otherwise.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Let's see, Zell likes hotdogs, Seifer is an rear end in a top hat who gets the chicks, Squall is autistic, Quistis is confused about her sexuality, Selphie wants to PARTTAYY, Rinoa in our age would just get a tumblr and forget about her daddy issues, and Irvine.. I guess he was there and he dressed like a cowboy 'cause he thought it was cool? Oh, and Laguna should really stop running from his problems.

I still prefer this cast to the entirety of XIII. Even Sazh can't save that game. I will take a cast of twenty Seifers over Snow and Hope any day.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I first played FFX in late 2002, early 2003, and 18 year old me absolutely loathed Tidus back then. Not in the "emo" bit that you guys are talking about but that he wouldn't shut the gently caress up and was always trying to take stage like some dumb jock. While I knew Jecht was a poo poo prick of a dad I didn't realize back then the effects that would actually cause to a child. Of course Tidus grew up to be an attention seeking guy, overcompensating due to complete parental abandonment. I'm replaying X now through the HD collection and I mellowed out considerably regarding him.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

TommyGun85 posted:

Just because a character has a good reason for being insufferable doesnt mean he'll be a good main character.

I don't think anyone was saying otherwise. He does make a good POV character, though. None of the poo poo happening in Spira would be as shocking to the player if not seen through the eyes of a naive outsider.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Baal posted:

Shut up gologle

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

There was a theory that Necron was the true form of the Iifa Tree as the ultimate life vanquisher based on dialogue and whatnot. Not sure how sound that was since I read that like six or seven years ago and can't remember much.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

FFXII had a pretty decent story. The stuff that got it down were the ending and -- nope, not Vaan, he's just "there" -- Ashe. Every important plot point she was involved in was retarded and just a way to make a Star Wars "join the dark side" reference. Otherwise, all the political stuff going on, Basche, Balthier and Fran, that was all pretty good.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Meridian posted:

So I finished up the platinum for Final Fantasy X yesterday

Ok, tell me your secret. Because I was trying to do exactly that and sort of gave up because it was getting hair-pulling frustrating. And I'm not even talking about the chocobo stuff or the lightning doding (so fun) as I left those for the ending, or the complete insanity of filling every character's sphere grid, no, I was doing what I thought would be the easier stuff like Blitzball, except even in Blitzball I'm being destroyed. That mini-game is all right, my problem is winning the tournaments/leagues to get Wakka's items.

Like, a guide says, reset the stats, go hire Brother, Ropp, Wedge, Yuma Guado, and some lady from Besaid whose name eludes me right now, then keep entering the menu until a tournament shows up and the first slots reel is the prize (there's two other more slots reels). I enter, first game is against the Ronsos. They all have astronomical stats over my players, but after some resetting I eventually beat them. Second game, Albhed Psyches, they equally have monstrous stats, this time in even more important places, so they can score goals from nearly the other side of the field and they always block my players with three of theirs. Just seems impossible to win.

I considered, maybe I should level my players up in exhibition matches, but since the other teams' players also get more experience, I have no idea what to do here to gain a foothold.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

In Training posted:

Get a one goal lead and then stand in your own net. The AI stops functioning and you can wait for time to expire and you win.

Ok, that's good to know. I still can't get a goal lead against the drat Albheds, though. Their goal keeper has a 18 BL stat. Highest shooting stat my players have is 14, I think. He will block everything.

I also can't hire him, since he has a contract for 24 games, so, uh.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Much appreciated. Guess I'll give it a try again.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

#BarretWasRight

Also, I'm not a betting man, but if I was I would put quite a bit of money on FF7 remake being canceled two/three years from now. Something something, market not viable anymore.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

You people are weird, but the more power to you.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Speaking of LR, here's an image for you, now guess the game:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Edge Maverick will forever be the greatest name a fictional character ever had.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I imagine Auron was early 40's. Or at least I hope so, otherwise the whole shebang about his mystique just falls really flat.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Replaying FFX thirteen years later as a 31 year old dude made me realize how well done and fitting that ending actually is. Back then, hotheaded, barely out of his teens, old me didn't recognize any of that and just shrugged it off. But now I could see it for what it was.

It ends on a perfect note where the idiotic main character finally learns you can't solve a worldwide problem with just optimism and the wrong notion that no one had to sacrifice themselves. Of course you had to: it's a worldwide problem. Someone has to do the metaphorical toilet scrubbing. Even the final interaction between Tidus and Jecht, while not impressively written, is just right. "There's nothing that we could say here that would change anything, let's just get it done." Bang.

Hell, the whole auto-life thing against Yu Yevon is also not properly presented, but the meaning is there and is powerful stuff: those dudes will fight to the very end to kill that tick that prey'd on a world for a thousand years, no turning back, no chance to die. Of course the game represented that in a way the battle engine would understand, which is just auto-life and that makes it seem lame instead of cool, but eh.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

You kill them, too. In fact, all the aeons have a custom "kill me" message. One of the Magus Sisters asks you not to be sad.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

My assumption (which isn't really a theory) is that Ultimecia is indeed Rinoa hundreds of years later but that the reveal itself was removed by editorial demand in a late stage of development, so most of the clues throughout the story were left there.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I don't know what I'm looking at but it looks pretty cool.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

I no longer think that.

Well, you see that final boss you meet at the end of disc 4? You have been fighting her throughout the whole game, ever since the very start of disc 1. She's this insane sorceress that has lived hundreds of years past her time because she can't give her powers away, who spent most of her adult life being persecuted after losing all her loved ones. She's stuck on a time loop and is trying to break free in the only way that makes sense in her broken mind. Also, it's theorized that she was Rinoa when she was younger.

Moral of the story: enjoy the present and living among those you love because the future can only get bleaker.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

Why did Seifer act the way he acted?

Guy wants to be a renowned hero. Sorceress offers him a lead position in the government in exchange for betraying his former allies. Later claims he was under a spell when he loses and said government crashes down. Right.

cheetah7071 posted:

What are GFs?

Crystallized sorceresses or whatever theory you subscribe to explain summons in each Final Fantasy.

cheetah7071 posted:

SeeDs are really just what they appear to be?

Paramilitary unit formed by the husband of a sorceress to deal with the coming of the future sorceress. Remember: time traveling story.

cheetah7071 posted:

Why can't Ultimecia just possess Ellone directly?

Ellone is not a sorceress. She's probably the biggest problem in the story. She's special for "reasons" but she isn't a sorceress, so she can't be possessed.

I think it's implied that she was experimented on by Dr Odine at some point, which might explain it? I dunno, haven't played the game in ten years.

cheetah7071 posted:

Why is it relevant in the slightest that everyone grew up int he same orphanage?

It's not. It's just something the protags realize and assume it means they are destined to do something greater because it's a JRPG troupe. Turns out if they were just random people who had met each other for the first time nothing would have changed either way.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Oct 29, 2015

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Dr Pepper posted:

My brother's Astrologian using the Celestial Opposition skill. When cast the Astrologian creates a bubble around them that reduces damage done to anybody within the bubble, as well as casting a HP Regen spell on them.

It's a nifty skill. :) Looks pretty cool too.

Ah, it's FFXIV. I just meant everything about the screenshot looked cool, including the character's design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Tempo 119 posted:

There's no origin story for GFs or Ellone's power, they just "are". Odine was trying to recreate the power mechanically (Junction Machine Ellone).

Ah, right, that's it. But yeah, like most things, it's just "because" and it's just hanging in there.

Like, that Laguna movie connection with Seifer. That's probably at most implied and not spelled directly to the player, but fans fill in the blanks because the game surely doesn't make a good job at doing it at all and no one will ever disagree on this. The story is a mess. I still really like the game, warts and all, and boy does it have a lot of warts.