Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Zombies' Downfall posted:

So if you want to pretend the main character doesn't exist, you can.

Back when I played 12, I basically did just this. Balthier/Basch/Ashe. Works fantastically until you somehow get yourself killed doing some high level endgame content and all your backups are level 8 with lovely gear.

Never played IZJS though: I expect I'd have more of a reason to rotate between all six if I had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Thief/Summoner/Bard/Chemist. I signed up for hard mode, not that Gilgabot seemed to notice. Not at all surprisingly, it's a pretty easy team so far (just got to Castle Bal in world 2). I'm actually a little disappointed: I was hoping for more of a challenge.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Bruceski posted:

I've been playing them out of reflex. Right now I'm reminding myself that I don't *need* to go kill Shiva, though I think I'll do so anyway.

Fighting Gilgamesh without a thief is going to be painful. Goes against every bone in my body.

I'm fighting him with a thief... and without anyone who can actually use the Genji equipment. Stealing it anyway on principle.

Also, Swift Song is pretty loving awesome.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Pablo Gigante posted:

With Thief/Summoner/Bard so far, every single boss past Garula has been really easy. Bard isn't much use in boss battles besides giving everybody regen, but I've basically just been spamming one of the elemental summons and using two thieves for alternately attacking and healing. Beat Adamantoise, ready to head up to the flying ruins...

You'll love your bard for bosses starting mid world 2. Get Swift Song from Surgate as soon as you can. Everyone will get their turns faster and faster and faster and faster. It's like having super haste.

And for randoms, of course, being able to inflict stop or confuse on the entire enemy party is awesome. Though so is having your thief just !Flee from everything that you don't have a particular motivation to kill.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Harvs posted:

So I'm in the world 3 gear slog at the moment, my ninja and dancer are using legendary gear and the thief blade and chicken knife which is great but my mystic knight is falling behind with 2x great sword which I got from early world 2 and all the other swords im finding are knight only so far, are there any particular upgrades I can grind/buy/steal?

Rune Blade (assuming the MP for crits mechanic) or Enhancer (just plain high damage, and a boost to magic), both in Istory Falls. If dual wielding, you can get another Enhancer in the final dungeon. But given that shields can be pretty awesome too, you may not be.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Himuro posted:

Nooooo :gonk:

@therootsweshare can now use the Fire Job 'Bard'. La la la la la! Play the pianos!

An ode may not be an actual ode to the mighty bard:

Bards can raise the entire party's agility so much that you practically get your next turn instantly, like super haste. This lasts for the whole battle and persists through death.

Bards can raise the entire party's effective level so everyone does a ton of damage. This also lasts for the whole battle and persists through death. (So can the chemist if you get one, but the bard can do it without consumables.)

Bards will helpfully continue doing either of the above two things if they become zombified while doing them. (There's a death metal joke to be made here.)

Bards can stop or confuse (or both) the entire enemy party, making the majority of random encounters and a handful of bosses nearly harmless.

Bards can do a fuckton of damage to undead, making level grinding (if you need it) trivial in the right places.

Bards can also give the entire party regen, and raise strength and magic like they raise agility and level, but these are comparatively less interesting effects.

Bards can be mastered in a relatively trivial amount of AP, allowing any non-berserker to join in the singing fun.

Bards can do all the above for 0 MP, with no special equipment, and you've still got your ability slot to do with as you please.

Bards can hide offscreen to make sure someone survives that guaranteed final attack that wipes the rest of your party.

The above benefits are all basically job-independent, so bard synergizes with everything.

In short, bard is not a fire crystal job to complain about.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Pablo Gigante posted:

Hahahaha I got Chemist for my last job. Doesn't that pretty much mean easymode for the rest of the game?

Thief/Summoner/Bard/Chemist. Pretty good team I think. What do I do about jobs until my fourth party member returns?

Sup fellow Thief/Summoner/Bard/Chemist buddy. :):hf::)

Yeah, it's a pretty easymode team after the initial Thief/Thief/Thief/Thief segment. Admittedly a little lacking in non-magical damage output, but very versatile and survivable. See how far you can get without too much level grinding.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

golden posted:

This thread inspired me to go back to PSN and download the only FF8 that I have never played all the way through, Final Fantasy 8.

I COULD play the game the way the developers intended, but I've heard time and time again that this is one of the most broken FF games if you do it right. I ask you, what's the way to break this game?

A few more tips:

Quistis card -> Card Mod -> 3x Samantha Soul -> Time Mag-RF -> 180x Triple. Junction these to Strength on two characters (with 100/80 or 90/90 distributions), for either +70 and +56, or +63 and +63.

Zell card -> Card Mod -> 3x Hyper Wrist -> use on three GFs you'll be keeping on different party members (e.g. Quetz, Shiva, Ifrit) -> one copy of Str +60% per party member.

Combine these two and you're basically running around with endgameish Strength stats - and thus endgameish physical damage output, because FF8's damage formulas are purely stats and do not multiply in level or anything. And you can get these cards and refinement abilities super early on (like, a quarter to a third of the way through the first disc), and with minimal time investment.

Another game-breaker: Gesper card -> Card Mod -> 1x Black Hole -> use to teach Degenerator to Quistis. This is a 100% guaranteed instant kill on nearly every type of random enemy in the game.

There are quite a few other ways to beef yourself up and make yourself powerful early on, many of them involving cards, but they range from moderately to massively less time-efficient than the above options. And as it is, you're really loving overpowered just with the quick and efficient options.

General playstyle game-breaker: Get someone to yellow (under 25%) HP in battle, then tap the switch turns button to, well, switch turns until they get their limit. (It's a random chance that can kick in whenever the command window comes up, which is checked for the respective character every time you switch turns to them.) You can thus spam limits every turn. Being at yellow HP isn't even all that dangerous if your max HP, your Vit (physical defense), and your Spr (magical defense) are respectable.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Kill your berserker (or to be more generous, don't revive them after they inevitably suicide, and hope they don't take too many others down with them). Once you're only eating attacks rather than attacks plus a constant stream of berserker-induced double counterattacks, set your bard (swift song) and chemist (lotsa stuff) to buffing.

Or alternatively, just don't fight it. There are less aggravating ways of making money with that team.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

Correct. Aside from the elemental rods (Flame/Ice/Lightning Rod, which boost their own element), there's the Air Dagger (Air), Airslash Katana (Air), Gaia Gear (Earth), Venom Rod (Poison), Magus Rod (Air/Fire/Lightning/Ice/Earth/Poison), Sage's Staff (Holy), Rune Bell (Air/Fire/Lightning/Ice/Earth/Poison/Holy), and the Earth Hammer (Earth). These add a 50% bonus to the Magic Power stat of the spells of that element, making them way more likely to breach magic defense, etc.

Would I then be correct in my assumption that the only way to boost water damage is by means of a chemist?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Just won with Thief/Summoner/Bard/Chemist, aka Team Overpowered. After the initial Thief section the game was basically a cakewalk. Summoner was my main damage output through world 1, chemist through world 2, and bard of all things (Apollo Harp + Dragon's Kiss :black101:) through world 3. On the other hand, thief was the all-star for random battles since it let me skip any of them that I didn't feel like loving with.

Neo Exdeath was really trivialized by bard and chemist (and by chemist, I mean !Mix on every single party member). He got a grand total of zero named moves (and a physical attack or two) off on me before dying.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Okay, this is a really stupid question, but how the gently caress do I submerge the airship in world 3? I'm trying to get into the cave by Istory Falls and I can not figure out how to submerge, just go from air to on the water.

Get the second tablet from the island shrine to unlock the fork tower. Finish the fork tower to make it disappear and give you access to the catapult again. Find Cid in the catapult, and he'll upgrade your airship to have the option of turning into a sub. (When on the ocean surface, hit A, then choose the flashing up - airship - or down - submarine - arrow and hit A again.)

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

Skeletons in the Ship Graveyard can drop them. You can use a free inn in the underdecks of Faris's ship.

Alternatively, just steal (or, before going there, buy) a crapton of potions and throw them at undead Siren for 50 damage a pop. Throw them at your party members during regular Siren, and !Flee from all the random battles. You can buy daggers in the next town after getting out of there. Probably faster than grinding out rare dagger drops.

In other news, Team Overpowered (Thief Summoner Bard Chemist) had no difficulty whatsoever steamrolling Shinryu (berserk) and Omega (stop).

Shinryu: mix berserk + mix blind + Golem (resummon whenever Shinryu connects) + usual murderbard shenanigans. :black101: Honestly I could've skipped Golem - Shinryu whiffed an awful lot, and I wasn't even using Elven Mantles - and just flung Phoenix Downs around.

Omega: Thief and chemist take turns spamming Romeo's Ballad to keep Omega stunlocked with Stop. Summoner settles into singing Swift Song for the rest of the battle (which lets said turns come faster and faster and gives Omega less opportunity to squeeze in a move edgeways).

The bard itself, despite Omega basically getting a death by song here, actually does no singing. Instead it does all the murderbard preparatory mixing (including halving Omega's enormous defenses a bunch of times), then starts murderbarding. Omega's insane evasion apparently does not apply to Apollo's Harp. :black101:

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Bellmaker posted:

In FFV does the Chicken Knife increase in power if you run after acquiring it?

The game tracks all runs for Chicken Knife and Brave Blade, both before and after acquiring whichever of them you choose. So yes, if you want to power up Chicken Knife, you can wait until after getting it.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Moldy Taxes posted:

Yeah, the plan currently is to buff during Exdeath, then once he switched to Neo I start up Rime and go to town.

Reflect would work out fine, but I would like to keep her buffed with at least Blink so she won't be interrupted out of Rime. Would be nice if Bard could equip the Mirage Vest, at least...

I'll give that Reflect Ring strategy a shot, though. I think she can take one or two physical attacks without Protect on, and if not then at least I know I can just Raise her instead of Arise.

Now the only major issue I can think of is a bad Grand Cross on the party. I guess I'll just time my Dragoon's Jumps for those.

Consider doing a crapton of Swift Song buffing during Exdeath. (Also, turn the battle speed all the way down.) The more your agility rises, the closer to full your ATB bar will start after you take an action. Hermes Sandals are lovely in that regard too, not to mention they'll block a few potential Grand Cross effects.

The longer you can draw out the first phase of the fight when he's at high HP and relatively harmless, the better. Then switch to Hero's Rime buffing (if you have the patience, still do this during high-HP-Exdeath) once your turns are coming sufficiently super-fast for your taste.

After that, it doesn't really matter if the bard gets killed (though FYI, they'll do major damage to one of the targets - middle top, I believe - using Apollo's Harp), though a super speedy white mage should have no troubles getting them back up and buffed in between Neo Exdeath's already somewhat sluggish turns.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Moldy Taxes posted:

The issue with song buffing during Exdeath is that I was assigned a Berserker way back when I got the Water crystal. Given the choice between extra time buffing or getting Exdeath out of the way before he started spamming Meteor, I chose the latter. Maybe it made Neo Exdeath harder than necessary, but I was at least able to get a good ways into Hero's Rime before the switch.

Congratulations on your win!

My song buffing advice was kinda operating under the assumption of either a. let the berserker stay dead or petrified for a bit, or b. throw some healing at Exdeath to keep him at his relatively harmless high-HP attack pattern and offset the berserker's damage output.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Mega64 posted:

Great Sea Trench was marvelous because Requiem and Dwarves. The pigs were tedious to deal with, but I managed to luck out and have enough lag between reviving to wipe them all out at once.

Couldn't you have just thrown a Magic Lamp Odin at them? The trench even has a lamp-recharging spot.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Zombies' Downfall posted:

It's a real boner that he can't learn EXIT though, because my original party was Fighter/Monk/Thief/RM and that meant I couldn't loot the Masamune and warp out of the Temple of Fiends :(

:eng101: Red Mage can't learn Exit or Warp. Red Wizard can learn both. White and Black Mages also have to wait for promotion to learn those spells. FF1 makes sure that no party misses out on the sublime joy of Earth Cave backtracking or getting out of Ice Cave alive.

So long as you keep some spell slots open on your RM until after promotion, you can have your Masamune just fine.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Final Fantasy games are known for having really terrible balance and broken mechanics, and this one was no exception. I think the game honestly has too many jobs - many of which that have the same general role.

It would definitely be much better balanced if it had a much narrower assortment of jobs (especially melee jobs), I agree. The last thing the game honestly needs is MOAR JOBZ. What it needs is a complete overhaul of the enemy TP move mechanic.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Registered for a second run through hard mode, up to Bal Castle in world 2. Gilgabot is suspiciously kind to me: Blue Mage/Knight/Ranger/Chemist. Two overpowered teams in a row is nice, though I was kinda hoping for a bit more challenge this time.

Since I'll actually be able to use both, any thoughts on Brave Blade vs. Chicken Knife with this team?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Bellmaker posted:

Bard: I knew !Sing was good, but not this good. As long as the enemy isn't a Heavy or a Dragon a Bard can shut down almost any encounter in the first 2 worlds, and a lot of them in World 3 as well.

In post-airship world 3, you have your chemist make your enemies into Dragons (Maiden's Kiss + Dragon Fang) specifically so your bard can kick their rear end. Apollo's Harp does 8x damage against Undead and Dragons, ignores row, and always hits. You're looking into several thousand unblockable damage before you get into the bard and chemist's other buffs, and 9999 once you throw some level increases into the equation.

I coined the term "murderbard" in my own bard + chemist playthrough for precisely that reason. As for non-bosses, well, Chicken Knife stands as testament to the best way to deal with them. :D Many random encounters in this game are more trouble than they're worth.

I do grant that neither of them would play well with a berserker. There's a certain amount of prep time that you often want to do while the boss is at high HP and relatively harmless (e.g. the beginning of the final battle), and the berserker is having none of that poo poo. :black101:

I also agree that chemist in and of itself is kinda bleh for general purposes, once you've cycled it around to everyone to teach !Mix. Healing Staff duty is often helpful, but a lot of the time you'll be getting the most use out of the Chemist through whatever command you put on them. I did get a kick out of using !Rapid Fire and the Sage's Staff to have my chemist clobber my way through to the third tablet in my latest playthrough (which didn't have bard but did have ranger).

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Idioteque Dance posted:

I'm just picking up my game of FF5 after several months, this should be a good place to ask since you've all just beat it. I have the airship in world 3 and I'm about to descend into where library of the ancients was. I can't remember what came before this at all - are there any sidequests or summons to get before I go there? I notice its a point of no return of sorts and I think I'm a little underlevelled anyway.

You're supposed to be gathering the twelve legendary weapons (which are weapons, and legendary, and twelve in number). There are four dungeons to beat - you've beaten at least one if you have the airship - and you get a "tablet" from each of them. Each tablet nets you three weapons, plus you find a selection of goodies in chests in each dungeon.

And post-airship world 3 is basically sidequest central. Three of those four dungeons are themselves technically sidequests. Without knowing what you have or haven't done yet - and you probably aren't too sure yourself - it makes it hard to suggest what to do next.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

How'd you get past that "bring me a captured Behemoth" bit without a beastmaster? That's the only thing stopping me from giving the sealed temple a shot with my first team.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Miracon posted:

Someone #pledged for Enuo kills, and listed an exception for that part, plus one where you need a Thief to outrun a waterfall.

https://twitter.com/#!/EnlongJ

From looking through that, it looks like Gilgabot (well, the guy running the FJF) had a chat with him, so the guy ended up retracting and changing his pledge (now $0.50 per bonus boss with no commentary on special job allowances).

I'm guessing the website's #pledge list just grabs every tweet with that tag, rather than filtering out removed/replaced pledges.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Hedera Helix posted:

Where are their eyes, where are their eyes? :gonk:

They may not have eyes, but they have the all-important rosy cheek circle.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

At least it's not 4 Thieves.

4 thieves wasn't so bad. Karlabos isn't beefy enough to cause concern. Siren can be potion'd to death even if you don't farm up any dagger drops. Daggers can be purchased before Magissa and Forza, and an all-out offense works well enough for them. Mythril knives can be stolen before Garula, and you can also nab an Elven Mantle.

On my second thief-less fiesta run, I really really missed !Flee and the innate Vigilance.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Schwartzcough posted:

Doesn't this only happen after you master a job, though? OmegaZultan said they worked after he learned the sprint/see passages abilities, not after he mastered Thief.

Given the context - you usually don't use Freelancer again until you've mastered all the jobs you care to master, on account of the wasted potential AP - I figured this was an endgame question, and a completely mastered thief wouldn't be at all unreasonable in that situation.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Pesky Splinter posted:

I've always felt the best ending for X-2 was where his sparkly ghost thing hugs her from behind and vanishes, while she acknowledges that he'll always have a place in her heart. Which feels way more touching than the "I'm a REAL boy!" ending.

Agreed. Granted, it goes against my OCD completionist tendencies (since to get it you have to skip something earlier and not even have the option of the other one), but it's a much more thematically appropriate and meaningful ending in my book.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

11's got some very likable NPC protagonists too. (Prishe! :swoon:)

Of course, there's also the minor pesky "play a grindy and unbalanced MMO to get at its story" drawback.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Dr Pepper posted:

Yes. All passive abilities but the Berserker's Berserk and the Necromancer's Undead are inherited by Freelancer.

To clarify, passive abilities are abilities that the job starts out knowing and which you get just by switching to the job.

Contrast something like Two-Handed on the knight, which isn't a command ability but which knight doesn't have by default either.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Idioteque Dance posted:

So, FFV. I've gotten all 12 legendary weapons, all summons except the last one, and I've picked up the 3 bonus jobs. I feel like I've done all the sidequests before I go kicking rear end in the Rift. Anything else I should go for first?

Get the last summon perhaps? The last row is Leviathan, Bahamut, and Phoenix, possibly not in that order. If you've gotten all the weapons you presumably have Leviathan, so that leaves Bahamut (can be useful, though boosted Syldra is often comparable and is less expensive) and Phoenix (situational).

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Boten Anna posted:

Well as predicted, my luck ran out, I got Bard for my Fire job :v:

Unless there's secret badassery I'm missing, I look forward to bard and rdm being kind of dead weight near end game :(

Allow me, if you will, to quote myself from earlier in this topic:

Vil posted:

An ode may not be an actual ode to the mighty bard:

Bards can raise the entire party's agility so much that you practically get your next turn instantly, like super haste. This lasts for the whole battle and persists through death.

Bards can raise the entire party's effective level so everyone does a ton of damage. This also lasts for the whole battle and persists through death. (So can the chemist if you get one, but the bard can do it without consumables.)

Bards will helpfully continue doing either of the above two things if they become zombified while doing them. (There's a death metal joke to be made here.)

Bards can stop or confuse (or both) the entire enemy party, making the majority of random encounters and a handful of bosses nearly harmless.

Bards can do a fuckton of damage to undead, making level grinding (if you need it) trivial in the right places.

Bards can also give the entire party regen, and raise strength and magic like they raise agility and level, but these are comparatively less interesting effects.

Bards can be mastered in a relatively trivial amount of AP, allowing any non-berserker to join in the singing fun.

Bards can do all the above for 0 MP, with no special equipment, and you've still got your ability slot to do with as you please.

Bards can hide offscreen to make sure someone survives that guaranteed final attack that wipes the rest of your party.

The above benefits are all basically job-independent, so bard synergizes with everything.

In short, bard is not a fire crystal job to complain about.

It's worth noting in addition that if you get bard and chemist, then you can have the bard use Apollo's Harp (8x damage to undead- and dragon-type enemies, always hits, full damage from back row) in conjunction with the chemist using Dragon's Kiss (makes any enemy into dragon-type) to become the mighty murderbard in world 3. :black101:

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Fungah! posted:

Holy poo poo that team

OK, here's your synergy. Mystic Knight uses spellblades of whatever element the enemy's weak against or Drain or Flare Blade otherwise while dual-wielding swords for crazy ha-ha damage. Ninja does the same thing, only he's got Throw (nothing on your team has particularly great Magic, but that's OK. Scrolls and shuriken are still good). Chemist uses Mix to hyper-buff everyone, making your sky-high damage output crack the stratosphere and stopping like 50-75% of damage and effects. Thief doesn't get to do a ton, but check here for a list of good steals and so on.

Basically, you've got 3/4 of one of the best teams in the Fiesta, the only real weak point is your kind of low magic damage but who cares. Mute Blade and Throw can take care of Omniscient and on everything else Spellblade/Dual-Wield can just absolutely tear it to shreds e: oooh! oooh! Or you you can Mix a Bacchus' Wine or Blessed Kiss to give him Berserk and just beat him to death. Have you considered taking a run at Omega and Shinryu once you get there? Because that team can definitely take Shinryu and it's got a decent chance of killing Omega too.

Thief isn't really going to be a superstar when it comes to damage output on bosses (therefore: give them mix for bosses to help with buffing up the mystic knight and ninja!), but steal can get you nice stuff, vigilance means you will never ever be back attacked (which is something you don't really appreciate until you go through the game without a thief), and flee means that you only have to fight the worthwhile random battles. It's actually really nice as a convenience class.

Needless to say, go for the Chicken Knife, and therefore run from anything you don't have a compelling motivation to kill, to power it up. (Thief also lets you use it safely, via Mug.)

For chemist, I found that I only wanted a handful of Dark Matters, a moderate supply of Turtle Shells, and a crapton of Dragon Fangs. (And of course a crapton of the buyable things but they're buyable.) Plan your farming accordingly.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Barudak posted:

Isn't that attack based on the total number of equipped materia? Like 500 dmg x Total Number of Equipped Materia or am I thinking of another Emerald Weapon attack?

Correct. The name of that attack is "Aire Tam Storm". It was nevertheless a few months after the game's release before the FAQ writers clued in to the mirrored text in the attack name that totally gives away what its damage is based on. I remember figuring it out myself before the info showed up in FAQs and having my teenage self feel very smug about that. (My adult self still feels mildly smug about that.)

Damage formula is 1111 x number of equipped materia, calculated on a character by character basis. 9 or more materia per character and it'll do 9999 to the whole party, but if you can go in with a slim but efficient materia setup, you can easily live through it.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

That's kinda why I liked the Four Job Fiesta for FF5. Even though Gilgabot was kind enough to give me a chemist both times (so I can't exactly speak from experience about it making the game difficult...), it still forces a little more use of tactics you otherwise wouldn't have thought of.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Suaimhneas posted:

What? I stole once from each enemy I fought and when I got Thievery it was already doing 7000+ damage.

Plus I had a bottomless supply of potions and ethers, which was nice.

It could also depend on stat raising, since the formula is "(Anyone's) Steals * (Zidane's) Speed / 2". At a low level, or after having levelled up with equipment that doesn't give much +speed, it would take more steals to compensate.

At endgame speed you're typically looking at around 600 steals to max out Thievery. Before endgame, you should still see some very decent numbers so long as you steal once or twice per battle.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

If you're a spergy stat-maxing goon like I am, then you prioritize strength and even magic (for MP) over speed, given the way ATB works in this game. (Prioritizing spirit over everything for everyone is of course a given.)

So 50 speed may not be in the cards, but even mid-30s speed only adds another ~200 steals. Either way, point is that you'll get pleeeeeenty if you actually do steal regularly. Thievery probably won't be fully maxed out when you first get it, but it'll certainly hit drat hard.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

And Spirit is too nebulous a stat to prioritize. It's okay for casters, crappy for everyone else since it otherwise only determines the rate at which you generate Trance and its rate of decay, and most characters' Trances are pretty mundane compared to their non-Trance options. It's okay earlygame for Steiner, but mid- and lategame, he has Shock and therefore no use for his Trance. Zidane, also useless since it's only a factor in his Steal formula if you don't have Bandit equipped. It's crappy for Freya because you get better mileage out of Dragon's Crest than her Trance (even if it makes her invulnerable), and even Amarant isn't that great because oh boy I'm gonna use multi-target No Mercy once

As far as casters go, it's not bad because it determines the duration of Protect and Shell, but there's no real need for buffs in FF9 anyway. For Vivi, it's half his accuracy formula for Meteor, but if you're gonna grind up his level high enough that you can max his Spirit, you might as well just equip everyone with Auto-Reflect, give him Reflect x2, and bounce a 8x strength Bio at the enemy party. I'd say the only character who you really want to bother giving high Spirit to is Garnet because she has hands-down the best Trance in the game.

After some work with Ctrl-F (on "Spr" and "Spirit") in the Battle Mechanics guide on GameFAQs, it looks like spirit improves:

- Critical hit rate with regular attacks
- How long beneficial status effects last
- How quickly negative status effects wear off
- How frequently regen ticks
- How slowly poison and venom tick
- Damage from Spare Change
- Damage from thief swords and knight swords
- Counterattack rate (when Counter is equipped)

- How quickly trance refills
- How slowly trance empties when active
- Hit rate of Steal when not using Bandit (Bandit makes that step 100%)
- Hit rate of Meteor
- Percentage of HP you're revived with via Life (Spr +5)%, Phoenix (Spr +30)%, or Revive (Spr +20%). Also technically Full-life but it's (Spr +100)% so it's moot.

Point being, it does a laundry list of useful poo poo. Boldfaced are the ones you didn't note.

That said, I'll absolutely grant the point that speed is more useful than it otherwise would be, if you use the Wait trick with the ATB.

E: Personally, I love it, if for no other reason, than for the way it makes regen even more insanely awesome than it already is. Regen ticks twice as fast at 50 spirit compared to 40 spirit.

Vil fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Aug 30, 2012

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

To be fair to speed, the time it takes to get each turn scales with speed, exactly the same way as the time it takes for regen to tick scales with spirit. In other words, 50 speed is getting turns twice as fast as 40 speed or three times as fast as 30 speed.

It basically boils down to a linear (60 - <stat>) function in both cases, and at a theoretical value of 60 you'd get turns instantly and regen would instantly heal you to full. Hence why the game caps you at 50 for those stats.

You do have to make sure to use the Wait trick though in order to benefit from high speed. Otherwise, by the time everything's done animating, a. someone else will have their turn up again and b. each enemy gets to take a turn too. On the bright side, enemies can't take advantage of the Wait trick. :)

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Dr Pepper posted:

What's the Wait Trick?

Scroll back through TWD's recent posts in this topic. The basic idea is "have the battle system set to Wait, keep at least one character's turn up at all times, and hop into an item/ability submenu to trigger Wait whenever attacks are animating".

It maximizes how much benefit you actually get from "ATB time", so you don't have a whole bunch of it go to waste - or more to the point, go to enemies - while all the various attack animations are going off. If you're not in a submenu (to pause "ATB time") and all four of your characters' ATB bars are full, then some or a lot of it is going to waste.

That said, FF9 is an easy enough game where you can just play normally and ignore that that happens, but it's worth bearing in mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

My latest understanding is that midnight (Honolulu time) tonight is the end of the fiesta proper, but the window for people to actually donate and make good on their pledges is open for another week.