Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!
On the "cheap FFXIII-2 front", Amazon.co.uk has it for £12 with free shipping, which is the price I got it for. It seems pretty worth it so far! Just beat up Atlas, and the game seems pretty easy now that I've got COM/COM/COM and RAV/RAV/RAV paradigms set up. Are they the way to go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

I'll probably have a good go at the Fiesta this year, unlike last year where I couldn't finish it due to exams/work getting in the way and burning me out. Since I've never finishes FFV, I think that I'll just do a normal run of it.

Of course, if I finish early and still feel like it, nothing's stopping me from going at it again unofficially.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

Ragequit posted:

This is no joke. I installed this a day or two after it was released and it's seriously night and day. It will make you fall in love with FFT all over again.
Looks like I'll need to get custom firmware on my PSP, as the lag is one of the reasons why I never get very far in War of the Lions.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

Gammatron 64 posted:

Are they going to do a 360 release of FFX HD?
They have't announced it; they've only announced editions for the PS3 and Vita. They may well port it over to the 360 like they did with FFXIII, though - I wouldn't bet on it in particular, though.

quote:

I'd really like a 360 release of FFXII International.
I don't think they'll even do a PS3 version of it, which means that a 360 version isn't terribly likely. I'm fairly sure that the only reason for FFX's re-release is that they know that it will sell.

As for E3, E3 sucked and no real news came out of it intentionally :)

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

iastudent posted:

Out of curiosity, are we talking about his run or anything related to the Fiesta on IRC somewhere?
I don't believe so, but if someone with more knowledge about IRC wants to claim #ffvfjf (or just #ffv) for the duration, that could be radical :)

As of now, RK is having some technical difficulties, right after some gameplay difficulties: getting the Main Gauche from the Fire Crystal castle (took a wrong turn).

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

Minrad posted:

If you want to do it again you can grab Aera off the Gigas mobs in the exploding castle. Just wait around and they'll cast it eventually.
If you don't want to go back, one of the Page enemies in the library also does it. It's really not worth going back just for Aera.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

Pablo Gigante posted:

Any tips for beating Garula with Thieves besides grinding up levels? He keeps killing me even with the Elven Mantle :(
Wyverns in the Walse Tower have Mythril Daggers that can be stolen, which'll double your damage output. If that fails to do the trick, put three of your Thieves in the backrow, with the Mantle bearer leading the front - slow and steady wins the race. A multitude of Potions may also be useful if you're running out of healing.

On that note, I've finally reached World 2, with a party of Thief/Red Mage/Bard/Dancer.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

J. Alfred Prufrock posted:

There's an easier version of 1.3 (Content) that would probably be fun if you don't want the difficulty but want to try out the rebalanced stuff.

LFT is also good but if I had to pick I'd go 1.3 Content since it changes things up more so it feels more like a different game.
Hm. What's the difference between the various FFT rebalance patches? I know 1.3 is the "hard one", but the others are all just names to me v:shobon:v

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

Berk Berkly posted:

I did that but I noticed they have this horrible tendency to run off and steal from mobs I wasn't focusing endlessly so I either hand to manually re-target them, or distribute attacks. Also I had to get them to re-steal if they missed the first time and the mob was damaged in the intermediary. It felt like a pain in the rear end, and I was having to micro-manage them just as much or more if I just stole manually, so I just stopped stealing all together.
I'd recommend giving the HP = 100% -> Steal gambit to your party leader, so they aren't running off to fight people. Additionally, don't worry about not snagging the item instantly (unless you're fighting something which gives really good armour), there'll always be another enemy. If Steal only works half the time, you're still getting 1.5x as many items overall.

Speaking of the IZJS, I'd be up for playing it myself. Do I need to import a Japanese copy (and find a way to get around the region lock), or is there a simpler way to get to play it? Thanks :)

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

voltron lion force posted:

Question about the PSP version of FFT: the slow down fix is a fan patch right? Does that mean that I need custom firmware on my PSP to apply it?
Yes, yes.

However, trust me in that it is quite simple to set up using guides on this here forum, and not a pain at all (if you've got something to let you hook your PSP memory card to your computer).

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

After seeing that, I think how everything looks in Theatrhythm might even come out favourably :psyduck: Who sees that Mickey Mouse and thinks that it looks good?

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

Donald Duck literally looks like a kid dressing up, with a duck bill on a piece of string. The mind boggles as to how you could make this art-style look more unappealing than Cagnazzo's rear end-chin.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

Level Slide posted:

I hope XIII-3 busts out some new antagonists and conflicts that have nothing to do with the previous games except maybe one instance of absurdly vague wording from an obscure datalog entry that could be interpreted as foreshadowing by idiots.
Apparently, some people think that XIII-3 will involve the Thirteenth Ark based on its two-second appearance in XIII-2 and something from the Datalog. Here's hoping you're right about this.

TGS is in September, right? Not too long to wait to see what their next money-making scheme is.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

Moldy Taxes posted:

His friends spawn with less max HP every time they pop back up, and I think they're vulnerable to some debuffs such as Deshell/protect that'll make taking them down much faster.
Although your Auto-Hinder will select it for you, the one that's immune to physical attacks is vulnerable to Deshell and vice-versa. I don't think anything else is notable for their debuffs, but it does help in getting them down quickly.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

Momomo posted:

I'm talking about how "deep" they got, not really if it was well written or anything. They're more complicated than Villain = Brother.
If that's the crux of your argument, FFIV isn't 'just' that either. It's "you are half moon-man, just as this big villain guy is (also he's your bro), your moon-men friends are asleep, and a super-evil moon-man is trying to destroy the world with a giant moon-man thing they sent there ages ago. Also one of the moons is fake, and it has yet another eight crystals."

Presenting the plot in such a way that it seems totally weird and odd doesn't work, since even the simplest plot in the series can be explained in a "wow, this is so stupid" way.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

The combat system in Xenoblade is fun, even if it can seem very chaotic at first. It gets simpler as you use it, though; you auto-attack when you approach an enemy you're locked onto, and use arts when you choose. I think it's a lot more fun then any system Final Fantasy has had for years; the closest it got was XII, which Xenoblade knocks out of the park in every regard.

Lost Odyssey's final boss music is pretty interesting; the rap isn't as bad as I thought it'd be, even if it isn't very "final-boss-y" or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That area kinda blows, but the next area at least looks nice enough, and the one after is drop-down gorgeous. It's all uphill after there.

Speaking of gorgeous, despite the money spent in the graphics engine, the areas in Final Fantasy XIII(-2) don't really strike me as being "oh, this is really pretty". They don't look bad, but I think the only time I ever went "oh!" at an area was Noel's dreamworld during XIII-2. That crimson sky is pretty striking, unlike most of the game.