Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

First that I owned and played to completion was Final Fantasy X-2, and while that game had its faults, I did enjoy the combat and gameplay enough to finish it the 6 or so required times to get the best ending. I've since played every main series game except IX and can say that my favourite has to be XII. The world felt alive, the story was slightly up its own arse but less so than the other recent FF games and they totally nailed gameplay. I felt like I could do anything in that game, which is why XIII was such a let down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

Eggie posted:

Speaking of FFXIII's music, I've been playing FFXIII-2 for two hours and I'm in love with the soundtrack again, moreso than the first time I played through the game. It's very poppy but it works so well.

The soundtrack would have been better if it was only Crazy Chocobo. :colbert:

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

Pesky Splinter posted:

People approved this. People sat down and thought this was a good idea.

There's also the shower scene and the plot twist at the end of the game which reveals that Aya is mentally a 12 year old girl. That game's story was the loving worst.

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

Renoistic posted:

It's slightly worse than that. She isn't Aya, but the clone from PE2, who switched bodies with Aya. Then, in the end, she has to kill Aya because

3rd Birthday had some decent music and the gameplay was surprisingly solid, but the rest of it was a complete disaster on every level.

Yeah, I know. But I was more approaching it from how creepy it is that the game keeps perving on a character who is mentally a child rather than just how stupid the plot was.

It's kind of a shame that the rest of the game was so awful, given how challenging and fun the game could be on hard mode. I haven't really seen any other 3rd person shooters with that level of challenge and demand.

List talk: The fact Balthier isn't at the top of the list shows that the list is objectively wrong.

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

Oh, they're using the same battle system they did in the last two games except now there's only one character. Didn't previous interviews say that it was going to be more action oriented? From the looks of this, we still won't have any movement control over Lightning in battle. Squeenix really does love sticking with a formula which was a downgrade to begin with.

I'll probably still end up buying this and completing it while constantly convincing myself that it will get better in a few hours. :cripes:

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

Francois Kofko posted:

If you didn't like XIII's battle system, I have no drat clue why you played XIII-2. Like, the selling point was the removal of linearity and poo poo, not a whole brand new battle system.

To be honest, I went into FFXIII-2 knowing that the combat would be the weakest part of it. I was mostly sold on the time travel mechanics and I was hoping for a more Chrono Trigger style of world exploration, where you could go to any area in any point of time and there would be clever side-quests involving the manipulation of that. I can usually ignore RPG combat if there are other elements that I enjoy.

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

Mazed posted:

Then pretend that might not actually be an improvement.

Vaan was more irrelevant, than he was annoying, though. He was only really involved for a few hours of a hundred hour story before the focus shifted onto Balthier, Ashe and Basch. I don't get the hate for Vaan because he is such a footnote in the story after Bhujerba; whereas Tidus is plot relevant for the whole story, so if you don't like his brand of teenage anime hero characterization, then you're stuck for the whole game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

Looks like the sprites from the GBA port of Final Fantasy I. Could be the game re-done with the Active Time Battle system, possibly.