Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

TheIllestVillain posted:

Beat FFV today, after fighting both Omega and Shinryuu at the end Neo Exdeath turned out to be a complete joke in comparison. I was sort of disappointed.

IX is next on my to play list, It's the FF I'm least familiar with outside of the MMO titles. Anybody have any thoughts on the game itself?

IX is my favourite. Characters are well-done, the plot is good and gives development to most of the characters (I'd say 3/4 of them, stretchable to 7/8).

There really isn't too much to worry about for most of the game, as it's really pretty easy except for one or two optional bosses. Battles are a little slow paced, but other than that, you can beat the game with pretty much any character combination. Characters have a set 'job' and abilities, a little bit like FFX during the game, but the game is flexibile enough that once you have the option to choose your party any combination is viable.

Early game, I'd recommend you decide if you want to use Zidane for the long run. If so, you may want to steal early and often to power up his Thievery skill (which you'll get in Disc 3). There are a lot of decent items to steal, especially from bosses, but you'll lose out on a source of damage early on (though that's not a big problem). He's an adequate frontline fighter (probably ranking around 3rd or 4th), and it takes a lot of steals to make the move worthwhile (talking about 700+), so it's a personal pick whether to steal every battle or just steal when you like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Have you tried the Friendly Yan posted earlier? :cheeky: I just picked up FF IX recently, having never gotten past the first disc. Enjoying it so far, but I doubt it'll displace VII in my mind.

(And I know you're referring to Ozma, watched a friend die to Satan's bouncy ball dozens of time)

EDIT: I'll go against the grain and recommend you don't use the Nihopalaoa, I never needed it to finish the game. Grab one if you're worried, I don't think it's necessary though.

Friendly Yan makes Ozma a lot more tolerable, but there are reasons why he still screws so many people over.

1. Curse inflicts Mini on everyone with a 100% success rate. Since you can't block the status, you have to cure it either using Mini or Angel's Snack, or using Remedies manually. You can also Trance to cure it, but the chances of everyone Trancing at the same time is really low, and if, say, one character Trances and three don't, you have to cure each of them manually if you're not using Angel's Snack. The upside is that some characters don't care much about Mini (Zidane, Freya, and Quina).

2. Meteor can screw you up no matter what level you are, since the damage is random. Your only means of protecting yourself from it is simply getting more HP. Shell doesn't even work.

3. Ozma has a unique speed system. While it gets turns like any other enemy, it also instantly fills its ATB gauge immediately before a character's turn, and it will attack before that character. So if you input commands for 4 characters, that's 4 attacks, and a 5th and possibly 6th one before you can heal up. The only way to avoid it is if you input commands during Ozma's attack's animations. While you can do this for some, like Doomsday or Meteor, some attack animations are so short you can barely get off 1 (like Curse).

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Trasson posted:

A while back I did a Tifa solo game and the endgame came down to pretty much this. With Deathblow-Added Cut and the Premium Heart with full Limit, I'd get a pair of free max/nearly so attacks for two Materia slots, leaving the rest for shenanigans (Quadra Magic-Ultima, really, as well as the requisite Barrier and such).

I just wish the cooler Materia weren't so rare. Getting Added Cut, Steal as Well, or blue Counter a lot earlier and getting multiples of the neater Commands (Steal, Deathblow, etc.) would have led to a lot more varied setups (Imagine, Cover with Counter-Deathblow) instead of the Limit Break/Magic/Summon/Enemy Skill frenzy that FF7 usually devolves into.

I've always thought the Premium Heart was near useless because of its gimmick but that's actually a decent strategy.

I still prefer the God's Hand for the most part though, since she gets perfect accuracy with it so can use Deathblow more reliabily.

Red makes one of the best Cover/Counter users early on in my opinion since the Seraph Comb trumps anything pre-Nail Bat (and has materia slots, to boot) pure power wise and Red's Limits are still somewhat decent (actually, his level 3 Limits aren't so bad if you give him a Peace Ring/Ribbon so he can use Howling Moon effectively).

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Bonaventure posted:

I was very thankful for the usually short animations in FF9, but FF9 did summons wrong by giving you, like, all of them at once. Don't you get Leviathan before Ifrit and Shiva, despite the damage hierarchy being the same as always?

Well, yes. You do get Leviathan earlier, but you don't get into any battles before getting Ifrit, Shiva and Atomos. The next dungeon you're likely to use Dagger in has a boss weak to Water, so there's no downside in learning Leviathan first and never using those 3 ever when you have Vivi.

You might end up using Shiva on Shell Dragon and Atomos on Yans, but the only fight I think where you'd use Ifrit over Firaga would be Meltigemini, and only because Vivi isn't there. You could use Ifrit against Taharaka, but you can just Heat that boss with Quina.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Star Platinum posted:

FF9 is my favorite, but its one major flaw is that most of your abilities are useless because a) their use is mostly situational and b) the game is easy as balls. There's never any reason to use Vivi's Water spell, or most of Steiner's sword skills or the majority of Quina's Blue Magic.

Valia Pira is the first boss after you can get Water, and it's weak to Water.

As for Steiner, most of his skills are pretty meh, but he has 3 great damage skills, and both Darkside and Charge! have situational uses. Iai Strike also has an absurdly high accuracy for an Instant Death move. So it's mostly just the Break skills and Thunder Slash.

As for Quina... yeah, no argument. The only ones you'd be using at the end of the game are Frog Drop, White Wind, Angel's Snack, Auto-Life, and possibly Earth Shake/Twister/Vanish/Mighty Guard, all of which can be done by Eiko better.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

The White Dragon posted:

Twister is no good because the damage variance is too high, Mighty Guard is okayish (but limited in use unless you really grind Spirit), but you're ignoring the fun poo poo like Magic Hammer and Matra Magic. Thanks to Auto-Life, Limit Glove is very gameable as well (not to mention that Phoenix Downs generally have like a 1/8 chance to revive you with 1 HP anyway at lower HP).

Frog Drop you probably won't be using until very late game since the formula involves Quina's level, but I'll tell you for certain that it kicks the rear end of anything Eiko can do. Honestly you use Quina for the huge damage potential thanks to access to mid-lategame weapons really early in the game, and guaranteed 9999 attacks later on.

Oh and grinding Grand Dragons to 99.

I guess I'm just not a fan of Quina because h/she feels like it just takes a lot of effort. If you steal some high-level-ish forks early on, Quina can be good DPS early on, but if you don't, s/he becomes near worthless on offense (to the point where I end up skipping getting Quina on Disc 1, just to avoid the EXP loss) unless you remember that an enemy is a multiple of 4 or until you get 1000 Needles/Earth Shake. Limit Glove is fun but so many things can go wrong with that strategy - I'd rather use Charge!

Late-game, not that Quina doesn't stack up, but you practically need Frog Drop to compete with other members. And even getting the number to fight Quale is an exercise in patience. You don't physically attack because the forks become too random, so your only worthwhile option in the meantime is Twister, which is random, and Earth Shake, which is fine... except you have Fenrir.

Eiko might not have guaranteed 9999s, but she does almost everything else. She's a lot easier to power up, since Fenrir just needs gems, Madeen grows with her level, and Holy just is strong naturally and is of a great element (the only monsters to even resist/absorb it late game are the Friendly Monsters, I think, and you shouldn't be fighting them). If she gets into Trance? Hey, Holyx2 beats Frog Drop. She can also use Mighty Guard for a fraction of the MP by using Carbuncle with Boost; she can even use Vanish on the entire party if you equip her with a Moonstone. (Just like how Regen is useless when you have Reis' Wind) Even her equipment options are better. The only other thing Quina has on her is Auto-Life and Angel's Snack, which requires 4 Remedies.

Quina is a potentially fantastic party member, and I've used him/her a couple of times, but the effort needed to get there turns me off him/her on casual runs.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Frozen_flame posted:

What really turned me to Quina in IX is the point before reaching Terra, and the Earth Guardian scoffs at a monkey and a weird clown chef trying to defeat him. And then you can eat the fucker. Call it a stupid reason, but for the child me that was the best. The Eat mechanic I found annoying, but worth it for the smug factor.

Frog Drop is just icing on the cake.

Also consider that later he comes back in Disc 4. Which implies you're fighting whatever Quina digested and came to life.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Pasteurized Milk posted:

So hey, stupid question time. What am I missing out on by not doing blitzball?

Early access to Teleport Spheres, Dark Matter, and you end up saving a bit of gil and lots of time.

Also, Attack Reels.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Good to know! Planning to play through FF9 when they get it working on the Vita and I wanted to use a party that isn't just Steiner-Vivi-Dagger. How was Amarant? I know Freya could be powerful if you do it right.

Amarant is kind of... average, personally. His physical attacks do decent damage, but then again, Steiner hits harder and his Sword Art skills outclass any damage output Amarant can do by the end of the game. He can Throw, but you'll need a solid supply of weapons to use it regularly. No Mercy is good, cheap damage, but that doesn't really fly by the end of the game. It can hit all enemies if you go into Trance, but Climhazzard beats that.

Amarant's best strengths are Chakra, Revive and his elemental claws. Chakra and Revive are both great supportive spells, and become that much better when he goes into trance. Amarant is arguably your best source of Wind damage with some of his claws, as Twister is unreliable, Fenrir requires an accessory and Rackets require you to attack physically with Dagger/Eiko. (Dagger can use a physical build fairly well actually due to her great selection of equipment, but most people likely won't go there)

Compared to the other physical attackers, Amarant is about on par with Zidane but falls behind if you build up Thievery. He hits less than Steiner but has better support and doesn't require an Ether every 3-4 moves. He hits harder or about on par with Freya until she gets Dragon Crest.

Amarant generally shines mid-game, when you're possibly running out of MP from time to time and Steiner, Freya and Zidane don't have their killer moves yet. He's competent enough late-game, as is any other character, but Chakra and Revive are really the main reasons to use him above other characters.

His final niche is being one of two characters with Return Magic, which is nice against Ozma if you choose to do that, but Vivi fills that slot much better.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Paperhouse posted:

Amarant and Freya are both really good imo. I never use Vivi after the start of the game really, I don't get the appeal so much. I've never found the damage of his black magic to be much better than the damage Amarant or Freya can do, and they're more robust and have more varied abilities to boot.

Vivi's great early game while his magic hits almost anything for a weakness. He tapers off around Disc 2 when there are less enemies that does so and are gaining more HP, and Bio isn't quite strong enough to make up for it.

Once he gets the Octagon Rod and the -ga spells, he becomes pretty useful again. The -ga spells are useful till Terra at least, and the Octagon Rod is an excellent weapon due to its natural Water/Wind absorption. Only the Ribbon has the same kind of elemental protection, and as it is it makes certain fights (Red Dragons, Silver Dragon, Kraken) a cakewalk. It also allows Vivi to heal himself using Water. Vivi can also equip items like the Coral Ring and heal himself using a powerful -ga spell, which is nice.

Vivi's also incredibly self-sufficient with Drain and Osmose. If SCCs weren't so easy due to the EXP split, he'd be one of the better ones anyway due to being able to only fear attacks that knock him out in a single blow. If the game was harder, he would be better.

Unfortunately, he kind of starts to lag behind after that. Flare is good, but non-elemental isn't such a big deal when every enemy except humanoids have a weakness. Doomsday is very nice on Disc 4 for healing+damage and for taking out Yans, but it also forces you to wear certain equipment. Dbl Black is very nice with Doomsday, but if you're not using it, Dbl White is arguably better. He's still a great pick against some end-game bosses like Nova Dragon and the Element Four where he can abuse his -ga spells and the Octagon Rod... but beyond that he kinda slips to middle of the pack, especially with Dragon Crest and Bahamut around.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Leovinus posted:

How exactly does the Freelancer class function in FF5? I'm not sure I understand it totally. Is it right that it uses all the non-command abilities from jobs the character has mastered? So, for example, if I have Faris master Ninja, her Freelancer class will automatically have Dual Wield equipped, and assigning it to a slot is a waste of time? Does that work with all non-! abilities?

Essentially yes. Freelancer just gets better as you master more jobs, with only the penality of not having any natural abilities. Berserk I think is the only non-! ability that has to be manually set for it to have an effect.

Also, since Freelancer automatically equips all non-! abilities, this also means it will always have the best positive stat gains from other jobs if possible. So if you mastered Thief and Summoner, your Freelancer would automatically have its Agility and Magic bonuses.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Cyberbob posted:

It pretty much forces you to evenly level all available characters.

I remember i failed to do so on my first FF VIII playthrough. Boy did I learn my lesson about multiple save files after saving the game just before the Adel/Rinoa boss fight, with a totally neglected and underleveled Rinoa. She'd die within a few turns, and from memory I had no way of going back to the overworld to level up more.

You actually never have to use Amarant except for Ipsen's Castle, Oeilvert/Desert Palace and Amudias, so he's the most expendable member of the party.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

He's stylized and exaggerated like everybody in IX! I mean, Steiner is obviously supposed to be human and looks ridiculous too.

Amarant, aside from his weird skin tone, sorta reminds me of Middle Eastern guys in other Japanese stuff. Like Ganondorf, or the bounty from the second episode of Cowboy Bebop.

The only things that bugged me about Steiner is 1. He appears to be wearing eyeliner and 2. His armor doesn't completely cover him from the waist down, which exposes some surprisingly skinny (and hairless. For some reason I expected him to be a hairy dude, but it's Japan, where Auron has smoooooth armpits) legs.

But yeah, Amarant bugged me too. Half the time I thought his head was too heavy for him, which was why he always had a hunch.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

The White Dragon posted:

Alternatively, find some super strong monsters and do this. There's a glitch in Dawn of Souls where you gather weapon EXP for whichever piece of equipment you ended the battle with. Grind up EXP with Shields in both hands, then switch everyone to weapons and finish the fight. The CR of the monster mobs is what determines your max skill level, but the power peninsula just south of the starting city boasts Mantises of a high enough CR that you'll be able to master anything to 16. Keep in mind that lovely Bows will take twice as long with this method since you're dual-wielding Shields and would normally switch to any other dual-wielded weapon so the EXP would count twice, but bows are two-handed so it can only ever count once.

The only problem is if you want to master Toad there for the Genji Equipment matching puzzle. Said Mantis enemies are vulnerable to it and the Gel/Pudding mobs don't have a high enough CR to take you to 16 with that.

Stealing from bosses is important for equipment, but normal enemies only have common items. If you get frustrated trying to get them to give up their rare items, by all means, frick'um and just finish 'em off, but while some guides will tell you "well you can just buy this stuff at the next town, or the town after next :downs:" what they don't tell you is that those towns are hours off.

Without going too much into detail about individual items: On discs 1 and 2, at least make an attempt to steal every boss's full set, but if you get fed up, you can stop. My rule is that I go "easy" on a boss--don't just balls-deep gently caress 'em up--but still damage it every round while dedicating Zidane to Steal duty. If I get everything, great! If not, I don't sweat it.

In the meantime, try your best to save/grind up 60,000+ gil. Once you get to disc 3, go to the Treno Auction as soon as you can and buy the Thief Gloves, which teach Master Thief and make your steal odds soooooo much more bearable. After that, absolutely steal everything from every boss because not only is it all great but starting on disc 3, it's also often unique stuff you can't get anywhere else.

Always have Bandit (it gives Steal a 100% accuracy even if you fail to steal anything; if the enemy has a higher level than you do, you have a chance that it'll outright miss) and Master Thief equipped if at all possible.

Otherwise, just pretty much never attack with Zidane, and only have him steal, even from regular monsters. It's the only way you'll bearably get Thievery to do max damage. I am absolutely loathe to toot my own horn but you can trust me with FF9 poo poo, I did the spergin' ultracompletionist LP of it :)

Oh, and Synthesis stuff, if you can afford it, it's not a bad idea to buy a surplus of 2 more of every weapon and armor beyond what you can equip, sometimes it's just really hard to judge what you'll need without reading really confusing guides... and believe you me, the extant guides on Synthesis are formatted so poorly that you can barely even read them, let alone make a shopping list of what you need to make every useful Synth item in the game.

I'll actually say that unless you're going to fight Ozma, it takes far too much effort to get Thievery to anything decent. Even if you Steal from everything and never attack, by the time you first get Thievery you're likely only doing 1-2k damage.

Basically, Stealing is good, especially against Bosses and some enemies (Grand Dragons are good for free Tents/Ethers), but I wouldn't specifically go out of your way just to power up an attack that you need to dedicate yourself to using when Zidane is a perfectly competent physical attacker (has the second highest attack power in a weapon after Excalibur II, and has MP Attack and almost all the Killer abilites). The game is never so difficult that you'll end up as a disadvantage if you want to dedicate Zidane to Stealing, so if that floats your boat go ahead.

Synthesis is always good, and Chocobo Hot and Cold can get you some great and often unique items. (For one, it's the only way for Steiner to get Shock unless you're rushing to get Excalibur II)

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

The White Dragon posted:

And I will say you're full of it :colbert:

You steal from absolutely every little enemy you come across, you'll easily be doing 5k+ by the time you actually get the ability. Plus you won't be greedy with consumables since you'll replenish them at a pretty healthy rate. At that point, it's up to you whether you want to keep stealing, or if you want to try leveling your speed since the formula is (#ofSuccessfulSteals * Speed) or something similar, which goes up naturally as you gain levels but can be forced up too. Stealing is just the preferred way to go about it since pumping up your Speed stat, while not necessarily hard, is pretty drat arcane.

You only need the 600 steals if you're doing a Level 1 Challenge. If you can manage to get 50 speed, you only need about 230 steals, and you'll get into a lot more than 230 encounters throughout the game. You'll probably get Thievery around... hmm, 35-45 range, and your speed will likely be in the mid 20s by that point, and you barely need 400 steals once you're that high and you'll probably have gotten into maybe 300, 400 encounters by then.

^ Whoops, Speed/2, so I guess you do double those numbers. It's not tough to steal twice in one random encounter, though. Also be sure to set your ATB to Wait and sit in your Item menu whenever your own actions animate in order to minimize the enemies' ATB charge and maximize your party's. Never enter in your entire party's actions at once, always keep someone free to do this.

Maybe it's just me then.

And Speed is absolutely useless in FF9 outside of Thievery. FF9's ATB system is set up that there will never be a case where a character gets double the turns of another barring counterattacks/Ozma. So if you're min-maxing, you should focus on Spirit first, then Strength/Magic. Speed is only for Zidane and you could be spending better points elsewhere. Even if you want to max out Thievery, just steal the extra 50-100 times and spend those stat points elsewhere.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Height limit because of Mist, they constantly make a big deal about how you need Mist for everything and "how could you operate without Mist" blah blah.

Also thing I didn't know until this playthrough:

You can get 4 of the hidden zodiac coins by the time you first get to Treno. If you give them all to the bird woman you get a Blood Sword which at that point in the game is amazing for Steiner, not only is it stronger than a Mythril sword but it fully recovers any damage he does. It lets you take on that monster in the Treno item shop basement as soon as you get it (equip the wind-reducing armor Steiner starts with) but your reward is just a dumb card.

Also you can good stuff in the Auction House early:

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Treno_Auction_House

Magician's Robe has 21 defense at a time when the highest defense item available to casters is 10. It teaches Auto-Potion and MP+10%, which are useful. I got it for 3500 gil even thought the estimated price is 8000. Fairy Earrings can give Level Up to anyone in your party, Reflect Ring gives auto-reflect but is usually really expensive and Pearl Rouge gives Reflect-Null which lets you heal whoever has auto-reflect.

You can get non-reflect ring items for about 4000 if you keep trying, I could only afford two before I'd have to sell stuff and I moved on.

You should be able to buy the key items (Griffin's Heart, Doga's Artifact, etc.) and sell them to certain people in Treno for extra gil.

And Silk Robes are probably better than Magician Robes because of the Ability Up ability early on. You can only get them at that point through a Chocograph I believe, which means doing it while you're on Zidane's side.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I just booted up my FF Tactics (WotL) file again, and apparently I left it off at around Orbourne Monastery or something.

Right now I apparently have:

-Ramza, who's almost done with Monk and Squire
-Generic Archer who's maxed out Monk
-Generic Ninja who's got about 4 levels in Chemist
-Generic Time Mage. I think I was going to make him a Summoner?
-2 Red Chocobos
-Mustadio and Agrias

All the generics are male. Everyone is around level 21 except Agrias and Mustadio who are level 15.

Is it going to be rough going from here on? Do I need any female generics, or will I be fine with the current party?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

It only really fucks up your healer/buffer. If they have bad compatibility with your guys they can't heal or revive them in a crucial moment but you can get around that by using chemists or raising Faith.

Ramza's Taurus, the Mage is Virgo, so... pretty bad, I guess.

The other two are Aries/Libra, so I guess that's another no go.

I guess I should just raise up another generic. I could use another mage anyway, since I don't think Red Chocobos will last all the way to the endgame, right?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Nice, thanks for this. So Eiko and Freya for sure, I'm thinking Quina in the last slot but depends on how it goes. I wanted to use Amarant but eh

Ultimately depends on what you want. Quina has better MT damage with Earth Shake and to an extent Twister, and has a bit of MT healing. Amarant can also do that but only in Trance, and is far better off for ST damage unless you want to grind Quina to get Frog Drop. Amarant is better choice for hitting Wind-weak enemies with certain claws. He also has better buffs and can recover MP.

Bottom-line, Quina is better if you put work into him/her, Amarant is better for a casual run. With your current party compoisition I'd lean towards Amarant, since Chakra helps out Eiko and Aura + Phoenix + Reis' Wind is a solid defensive combo that's only shut down by status. Zidane/Freya/Amarant/Eiko also has a nice thematic feel to it, but again, ultimately your own choice.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

The White Dragon posted:

Well Eiko would be your wildcard slot against Ozma, really. The problem with Auto-Phoenix in that fight is that if Ozma doesn't follow up a TPW spell with Doomsday, there's no way you'll be able to win: Curse or Flare Star's animations are way too short for your ATBs (which reset to 0 when you die) to recharge before Ozma gets another turn, short of having 50 Speed and Auto-Haste. The only thing you want Eiko to be doing in that battle is using your one Dark Matter on the boss since that's an automatic one-time 9999, and then never acting again because magic is way too unreliable against that boss. I've had 2x Reflect Flares do <2000, and party-reflected Bios do anywhere from 4000 to 9999.

Honestly I'd try wildcard Steiner: physical attacks (i.e. SHOCK) are much more reliable against Ozma than magic is for some reason. Of course, you'd just be using him to drop the Dark Matter on his first turn and hoping that he wouldn't have to act after that anyway.

Eiko is pretty much the shittiest character in the game, mechanically speaking. Sure, you get Full Life and Madeen, but 1) you shouldn't be dying anyway, 2) what are you gonna do with Doublecast White Magic, 2x Holy? You can get more mileage out of 2x Bio bounced off your party: it's non-elemental, it'll probably hit multiple targets, it'll definitely do max damage, and its animation is super-short, 3) if you're looking for a healer with good damage output, Garnet is worlds superior. Doublecast White Magic hits twice; Eidolon hits literally infinite times as long as she's in Trance.

Far as not-Ozma goes, between Quina and someone else? I still like Quina as a character, some folks don't, but if you're one of them who doesn't, I'd personally go Zidane - someone - Vivi - Steiner. The lattermost eats up MP like a motherfucker, but his normal attack is already crazy anyway and Magic Sword or Beatrix's Holy Sword stuff is entirely optional, or for when you wanna hit entire groups with him instead of single targets.

It's kind of a 'some like this, some like that' kind of deal, but I wouldn't say Dagger is immediately suprerior to Eiko. If we're talking mechanics, Holy has a much shorter animation than Bahamut, and there aren't any Holy-resistant enemies in the game anyway (other than the Friendly Monsters). Yes, Bio would probably be faster, but we're not comparing Vivi, we're comparing Dagger, and using the Bio strategy either requires everyone use up 15 gems for Auto-Reflect, or using Eiko anyway for Carbuncle. As for utility, you can't beat Dbl Wht. Esuna and Dispel are also extremely valuable support - the latter is useful when fighting Ash in Memoria if you don't want to equip Locomotion. Eidolon has potentially great output, but the random factor of it makes not exactly reliable. And using it infinitely is a moot point since 1. Dagger can't do anything when her next turn would end Trance, sind that would end Eidolon, so you lose your healer and 2. There are no enemies that last long enough in the game that you couldn't blow through with 1 Trance Bar, anyway.

I wouldn't go using Trances to determine usefulness at the end of the day, considering the rarity of getting them. Quina and Freya have terrible trances, but it doesn't diminsh their usefulness any. Trance is more of a bonus than anything when you get it.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

The White Dragon posted:

Like you say: battles are super short in FF9. But it's pretty self-contradicting to say, "well battles are so short that [action] is pointless" while saying "cast support or utility spells" in the same breath :colbert:

The amount of time it would take to use up an entire Trance bar, even if Trance activated at the start of the battle, including all the turns of your other 3 members and any enemies on the battlefield, is long enough that you would only see it during boss fights like Trance Kuja or Necron.

And if you're going to say support or utility spells are useless, I guess that would make Chakra, Curaga, Life/Phoenix, Auto-Life, etc. pointless? Because anything that doesn't do damage would fall under that category.

Don't get me wrong, I like Dagger. She has the better stats, you get her earlier so you can boost her stats more efficiently, she has the better selection of equipment, and I like the character better. But if you want to talk about who the better character is, you can't discount what Eiko brings to the table. Even if she's not outright better than Dagger, she would certainly beat Amarant, because hey, support or utility is pointless, right?

But at this point, I think we can just agree to disagree.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The first image I thought of when I saw Celes was the one from Dangan Ronpa. Whoops.

And I got into FF6 later than the other FFs. I liked it, I didn't think it was the best thing since sliced bread, but I can see how it can be thought of as one of the better FFs - the opera scene, while rather mind-numbingly slow now, would have been pretty good back then.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

ShadeofDante posted:

You're missing Seiken Densetsu 3 (Secret of Mana... 2?) which instead we got... Evermore. Evermore is an okay game, but compared to what we would have got, it's just depressing.

FFIX is a lot more fun than I remember. I'm at Lindblum now and drat does that city feel alive. I'm trying to decide on a party involving characters I hardly touched the first time I played it. I'm guessing Zidane (he's mandatory right?), Freya, Quina, and... Eiko? Maybe Vivi? My standard team of Zidane, Steiner, Dagger, and Amarant got me through the game pretty smooth last time.

Zidane is mandatory till Disc 4 - you can swap him out once you're in Memoria (and only Memoria, he'll be forced back in if you leave).

I'll probably say just choose whoever you like. FFIX is a relaxed enough game that you can pretty much coast along with your favourites. So if you wanted to see the other 4 you didn't choose, just swap Zidane out in Disc 4 and play along.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Mazed posted:

And DiMaggio as Cait Sith.

'Laddie needs Cait Sith. Cait Sith protect laddie, ya? Sand-blasted AVALANCHE grease-monkeys!'

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Mister Roboto posted:

Example: I bet anyone here can hum the FF7 battle theme. Or One Winged Angel (yes, I know). Or Eyes On Me. Or Man with the Machine Gun. Or FF6's Boss Battle. Or Kefka's theme. Or Aerith's theme. Or To Zanarkand. Or the overworlds of FF7, 8, or Terra's theme/World of Balance (which are very similar).

Anyone NOT able to recall any of those?

Now, FF9's music is alright. It has quality. But it simply wasn't quite the same level of Uematsu's instantly-hooked tunes. Can anyone recall FF9's boss theme off the bat? FF9's overworld? Zidane's theme? Or ANY FF9 character's theme?

Now, I couldn't remember most of FF7's music, does that make me not a FF fan? And I could hum FF9's battle theme and overworld theme (the latter's just Melodies of Life). And FF9 had some great music. Rose of May, Dark Messenger, Not Alone, Ukelele de Chocobo... and of all the voiced pieces, Melodies of Life was by far the best.

But I think it's purely subjective - some people just gravitate to some games' soundtrack more than others, especially if they prefer a game more. And Nomura did more pieces for FF9 than any other game, which must say something.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Trasson posted:

I am now imagining a Veldt kitted out like the Pal Park from Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum.

On the name thing, how come Final Fantasy characters never have relevant last names? Like, I'm discounting the Ivalice games here, because they all written by people who actually decided to do something different with the series (whether or not you like the stories), but you go and play a game where you have all these characters, and where we have real life where people have multiple names, everyone is all these one name things.

This wouldn't even be a thing but then you go and play games like Tales of Symphonia, where some of the character's last names are mentioned, and one is a minor plot point while another is a major one! It's like, why even bother giving them a last name?

What did you mean by that though? Because some characters do have last names that do somewhat reflect their role and growth in the storyline (Cloud Strife, Tifa Lockhart, Cid Highwind), are minor plot points (Rinoa Heartilly), or just have other odd connections (Eiko plays a flute in battle, and her last name is Carol).

It might even be weirder if they didn't have a last name - it worked for FFX due to the whole doomwhale killing off people regularly so I guess parents getting killed off early was a bit of a given, but in most games where you presumably have societies and such, why wouldn't they have a last name?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Dr Pepper posted:

On to FFXII IZJS talk. With the job system I'm using some of the more weirder edge case techniks that I didn't really bother with before.

Horology is pretty handy for hitting flying enemies when you can't just switch to a ranged weapon. Sure, once Basch gets his hand-bombs I won't use it. But it's handy now.

That's silly, hand-bombs are absolutely useless.

On another note, I still think FFIII (DS) was the hardest to actually beat without grinding. I remember the first time I beat it I was using a gimmick team of Bard/Bard/Ranger/Devout. Requiem is a beautiful thing when it deals tens of thousands of damage at the start of the battle.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Kyrosiris posted:

Doesn't that practically sum up every FF game in which stealing is useful, though, aside from maybe FFIX?

There's FFX - pretty much almost any enemy has something worth stealing, and Rikku isn't going to be doing much other than Stealing, Mixing or Using.

There's also FF8, where Mug is almost always suprerior to Attack except for certain items (like the Power Generator).

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

TL posted:

Back onto stealing for a minute, I never really bothered with it before, but I'm playing through IX right now and it's ridiculous how much of an impact it's made. First, I really haven't had to do much item shopping at all. Plus, I've gotten weapons (and thus, abilities) way earlier than I would have otherwise. I've pretty much just decided I'll steal at least once per fight, and most of my other characters are in just enough shape that I've just been dedicating Zidane to stealing from bosses to get the really cool poo poo. Does Zidane's chance of stealing successfully go up the more he does it?

There are two parts to Steal: Whether or not it hits, and whether or not it hits a slot where an item would be.

If Zidane has Bandit, Steal always passes the first check. If not, the game will test if (Zidane's Level+Spirit) is greater than the enemy's Def. If yes, then it passes the first check.

At the second check, the game will try to steal the rarest item first. If that fails, then the second rarest, and so on. It's entirely RNG based, and passing a check to try and steal an item that has already been stolen will result in a failed Steal. If Zidane has Master Thief, Rare and Very Rare Items go from a 1/16 and 1/256 chance to a 1/8 chance of succeeding, and Steal will no longer fail when attempting to Steal empty slots.

TLDR: Bandit and Master Thief are pretty much all you need. Zidane should always have Bandit on till the end of the game anyway.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
A little late to the party, but one reason why I disliked Gizamaluke's Grotto on the first run is that the Lamiae are pretty imbalanced for that point of time - they have more HP than any enemy so far, they can confuse any character except Freya, they heal themselves, and they counter any attack by casting Might and making their physical attacks more powerful. :argh:

Perhaps the only thing that can really stop them in their track at that point of the game is using The Ogre+Soul Blade to Blind them.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

The White Dragon posted:

The difference is that Chakra is an unlimited pool of MP restoration where White Draw is based on the enemies' cturrent MP totals.

White Draw is actually dependant on only two things: RNG, and the enemy's level:

[Damages an enemy's MP and restores a small amount of MP to all party members between 0 and the enemy's level *2 - 1.]

Typically, I don't use White Draw much; Freya has better things to do with her MP, like Dragon's Crest (or Lancer/Cherry Blossom), or Reis' Wind. If it didn't cost such a hefty amount (for Freya, at least) in the first place, I'd use it more, but as it is, Chakra wins out for me, especially if Amarant gets in Trance or gets Power Up.

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

Someone said that this game doesn't seal up as bad as 8 did on disc 4, anybody know what exactly is closed off when I get that far? I guess making a second save wouldn't hurt anyway.

You miss out on the following places:

-Observatory Mountain (to complete the Coffee Quest, but if you missed the one in Dali in Disc 3 then there's no point in this one)
-Ice Cavern (again little point, except for a slight change in the Mognet quest I think)
-Pinnacle Rocks (2 chests there which you should have gotten already.)
-Desert Palace (get the Namingway card if you haven't, other than that, not much point)
-Conde Petie (nothing of worth here)
-Iifa Tree and its paths from Conde Petie (ditto, unless you missed the Moonstone)
-Esto Gaza and Mt. Gulug (probably the only one worth noting, since you definitely want to pick up Vivi's Octagon Rod if you haven't already. Other than that, Steiner, Freya, and Eiko all have abilities that can only be learned by the equipment here.)
-Oeilvert (nothing much here)

The only other thing you'd probably want to do is stock up on Mythril equipment if you want to do synthesis, though none of the end products are absolutely vital.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Sep 27, 2012

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

The White Dragon posted:

I remember running into that kinda crap in the normal dungeons. There are, what, two, maybe three Ribbons in the game? One of which is from the optional part of the final dungeon, and another comes from I think the end part of the final dungeon.

I guess I kinda dodged that bullet because when I said "sufficiently prepared for the final dungeon," this also entailed having a full Onion set on someone, which provides ad-hoc Ribbon effects, and Ribbons on my two casters. My Ninja was my only vulnerable dude, but I mean I had to farm a loving Onion set. I ain't play that game ever again.

There are a total of 5 Ribbons in the game, 4 of which are from the last area.

Still, there are other ways of weakening status, like the Aegis Shield. I know, using a shield instead of dual-wielding, madness. And the Bad Breath in this game is never as bad as FFVIII, or FFX.

I enjoyed FFIII for what it was, though - a game that was legitimiately hard and made me try it over and over again. You rarely find games that actually make you really work to win in the story itself, most games just have difficult post-game content. This might be one of the only games where when I start a new game I'm going 'geez, I don't know if this job combination will work in the end, but I'm going to try anyway.' FFIII DS in particular is very difficult and at times aggravating (I'm looking at you, Garuda), but that's part of its charm for me.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

The White Dragon posted:

The only reason you'd ever have to grind for Gizamaluke is if you're trying to steal the Ice Staff from him for the increased survivability. He's weaksauce otherwise and you can easily roll him in like three rounds.

You don't even need the survivability, since you can just Tent him and steal in near absolute safety.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Belzac posted:

Based off this I decided to look up the ages of all the "little girl" characters in FF that I could remember.

Porom is 5 years old. :wtc:

Yet she's somehow not as bad as Relm, that Edgar actually hits on.

Vivi's the youngest though, at less than a year old.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Technically, Laguna would be 44 in present day FFVIII, but I suppose you could take his playable age to be used instead.

There's also Fusoya in IV, but his age is unknown.

Also amusing how all the oldest characters (save Fang and Vanille, who are still fairly young physically) are men. Maybe they should have a granny character next game.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Armor-Piercing posted:

For the DS/PSP version of FFIII, what would the hardest combination be for a FFV-style random class challenge? Ignoring the parts where you need Toad/Mini and I guess the dungeon where only magic really does any damage.

I figure Scholar and Evoker for the middle two crystals. I guess White Mage for the first crystal? Not sure about the last.

Edit: I guess I might as well spoiler that part since the game just came out again.

I'd actually say Thief is worse than White Mage - White Mage is harder going on, but they do eventually get access to the elemental rods that make grinding easier for the first part of the game. Thief doesn't have survivability or enough damage to matter.

For the Fire Crystal, Scholar easily.

For Water, I'm not entirely sure - Evoker is a strong candidate, but you can occasionally bust out a decent effect from Heatran or Catastro. Dark Knight is pretty flimsy and Souleater is pretty terrible near the end of the game. But I'd say go with either - they both have enough flaws at the end of the game.

For the Earth Crystal, Magus is easily its weakest job. Sage is also poor because of its low Agility, but Magus takes the cake.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

ImpAtom posted:

Steiner doesn't have a great character arc but he has a fully rounded one. He begins as a suspicious stick-in-the-mud and gradually grows friendly, more understand, less competitive and eventually falls in love and becomes a well-rounded individual. As far as Final Fantasy character development goes that's pretty good.

Freya... uh. Well. She doesn't do much. She gets poo poo on a few times but never in a way that causes her any meaningful character change. She is obsessed with Fratley, finds out he has amnesia and... that's the end. At the end she's just hooked up with the amnesiac version of her boyfriend. It's not a character arc so much as it is a character speed bump. Final Fantasy V characters have more of a character arc than that.

With the exception of Auron, sensible, well-rounded characters seem to end up pretty boring.

Freya has a pretty sad character arc all around, which is a shame since it had so much potential. Not many other characters has had as much bad stuff dumped on them - having your boyfriend disappear for 5 years, watching the near extinction of your race, finding out your boyfriend is alive only that he can't even remember who you are, and being saved by Blank and Marcus.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Squall's line is more hilarious when you realize that the rest of the group hasn't been reading his inner monologue like us, so he's literally shouting that line in the middle of nowhere.

Though I do prefer 'I dreamt I was a moron.'

FF12 had the problem that if you wanted to do Hunts or sidequests as the plot progressed, you could literally spend hours before the next plot point. Even in its own dungeons you have that problem, like the Stilshrine of Miriam or the Pharos.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Mustach posted:

Speaking of Ultima, 6 is the only one where it's at all useful. Agree/disagree?

It's useful against Jumbo Flan in FFX, at least (though only when Doublecasted. The regular version has just so much downtime to be worth using).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Pollyanna posted:

So in FF3, what's the best way to conserve MP and avoid screwing myself over by dying and what jobs to use and whatnot? Right now I have a Monk, a Red Mage, a Knight, and a Black Mage, but apparently Hein is impossible with that team or something.

Hein isn't really too bad, but the Black Mage starts fading out of usefulness at this time. He gets one useful spell in the dungeon after Hein (Blizzaga), which allows him to still deal decent damage against bosses, but you might want to consider switching him out soon. You can still use him if you want and he'll hold up till you get Magus, if suffering a bit in long dungeons.

A Geomancer works well for taking out Hein - Terrain is unaffected by Barrier Shift, and you can easily do about 500-900 damage at this point of the game.

The Red Mage will be fine for now, but healing will become more difficult to keep up after the next Crystal. Bards become available then, but they can get fairly redundant with a Knight.

I'd say your best option if you want to limit Job switching would be to change your Black Mage to a Geomancer, then switch it to a Bard once you finish Saronia, or keep it as a Geomancer or Ranger till the Earth Crystal if you want more damage. (Garuda, incidentally, is such a pain that I'd say your best option would be to blitz it to death using 4 Dragoons or 3-4 Geomancers).

Of course, all that is assuming the DS version.