Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gamwhiz1
Aug 15, 2012

Overbite posted:

I think I'm the only one who thought FF15's trailer was kind of dull and not what I want out of Final Fantasy.

Anyway whats the better strat for Curtain Call; picking a team and going with just them or alternating characters in and out? Right now it's Ramza, Rikku, Cloud, Y'shola and I dunno if stat wise it's great but I like the characters so I'm going with it.

Honestly from what I've played of it it's entirely inconsequential. I've totally beaten high-level quest medley bosses with level 30 characters, it doesn't take much.

Really the only stats to focus on are hp/stamina buffs (if you happen to get bads/misses a lot) and strength/magic depending on the character. Either load your team up with the heavy hitters (preferably with the auto-activate boss techs and/or lots of damage abilities), like Jecht and Cloud, or just cycle 'em out so you can 99 all of them. Then min/max with the Crystarium if you're that kind of person.

Personally, what I've been doing is getting a team of four up to 60ish, subbing one of them out for a lvl 1 noobie, then doing it again when the remaining three reach level 80ish. You end up with a team that has enough power to get you through basically anything while making sure you're constantly getting a new character up to par. Then you can just cap everyone off at 99 and call it a day.

E; yeah you can also sub people in for extra rhythmia, or make all boy/girl teams, but honestly if this is anything like the last game you'll unlock everything fairly quickly just playing normally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamwhiz1
Aug 15, 2012

Man, I gotta say, literally the ONLY complaint I have about Curtain Call is that the preorder didn't come with one of the large, customizable styluses like the first one did.

I carried that thing fuckin' EVERYWHERE until I lost it (I think at the WI state fair?) and it was the saddest thing. I've made due with the normal 3ds stylus since, but that thing just felt SO drat GOOD. I still have the stickersheet with all the faces unused, it taunts me.

Gamwhiz1
Aug 15, 2012

Terper posted:

I don't think there's ever been a JRPG like that, ever. I'd be interested in seeing how that woulf work for sure.

Final Fantasy 1 NES :colbert:

E; well ~maybe~ you could argue for the black mage but

Gamwhiz1
Aug 15, 2012

We had a game that was basically "The adventures of Yuna and her Gal Pals", and personally I thought it was a fun refreshing take, didn't take itself seriously and had a very different feel from the rest of the series. It did not need a male cast member thrown in there, and it did not get one.

It would also be cool for the same to be done with a bunch of dudes going around doing dude things. This is not something to get angry over, or judge the game on.

Gamwhiz1
Aug 15, 2012

Himuro posted:

Sure about that?

P sure, unless she grows up into the butchest woman ever/Bahamut has a weird genderbender fetish

Gamwhiz1
Aug 15, 2012

chumbler posted:

Why couldn't you have just made a game about Sazh, Square?

yessssssssss

Gamwhiz1
Aug 15, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly, to change the subject a bit, one thing I worry about with regards to the 'road trip' thing is that it means the game is gonna be really linear. I'm not really someone who complains about that but I know it was a sticking point for FFX and FFXIII and "we're driving to a set location with a lot of wilderness and seemingly few towns" doesn't seem like it may fix people's problems with those games.

Linearity I don't have a problem with, it's lack of variety along the linear path. FFX never really felt linear to me because you'd stop at towns and temples and various other places along the way, places populated with people and interesting things and sometimes no battles.

What really got me with FFXIII is that it never loving stops with the constant straight paths dotted with monsters, the only break is when you get to Pulse and even that is just a bunch of branching straight paths dotted with monsters. I kept waiting for the bustling town that never came, the quiet area where I could just sit back and relax, like Luca in FFX or Rabanastre in FFXII. As long as XV gives you some flavor and varied locations, I don't care if my ultimate destination isn't really up to me.

Gamwhiz1
Aug 15, 2012

Beef Waifu posted:

FFXII made me realize that, dunno why you're so late to the party. For real though, 12's got one of the most boring soundtracks ever.;

FFXII has a shitload of really, really great music for areas and events, and an equal amount of kinda bland battle and boss themes. It's easily my favorite FF world to explore, but I agree that the songs in curtain call (bms at least) are super underwhelming.

Gamwhiz1
Aug 15, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

The first ~45 seconds of Force Your Way Ultimate, holy crap. I have no idea how I did this song in the first game.

And of course I need to beat it for #1 Platinum.

Force your way and final battle both have these bullshit strings of short holds ending in swipes and it's the only thing that still really gets me in this game. Like I'm fairly dece and usually just gently caress up a couple notes into greats, but final battle...

:argh:

Gamwhiz1
Aug 15, 2012

Rirse posted:

Someone should try the Ultimate version of Final Fantasy IV Battle Theme. That song wrecked me when it appeared at Expert during the second Quest Melody.

"Battle 1"? I didn't have tons of trouble with it, it's kinda slow.

I just wish the score value of notes were calculated consistently across different tracks, I mean on the one hand it's nice and tidy that every one caps at 9,999,999, but on the other hand, it's kinda boring and not nearly as impressive as a big huge number for a really hard song could be.

Gamwhiz1 fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Sep 24, 2014

Gamwhiz1
Aug 15, 2012

Also online people please stop ragequitting, I just want to give you this kickass medley with 3 black shards :(

Gamwhiz1
Aug 15, 2012

Evil Sagan posted:

I still don't entirely "get" the RPG mechanics in Curtain Call. Is damage done by regularly hitting notes based on a particular stat like Strength or Magic? Or do those stats only come into play for certain skills?

I've seen some people talk about mixing up the types in their parties, like having some strength and some magic characters on hand. Is this better than just having a full party of Magic characters boosted by Mana's Paeon and what-not?

From what I can tell, normal damage is only dealt when a monster recovers from its "stagger" animation; some return to damageable state super-fast, others (like loving diamond weapon :argh:) take forever to return to neutral. This "normal" damage is, I'm relatively certain, always physical, which means that a strong fighter is often better than a magic user.

HOWEVER, skills and critical triggers bypass the stagger thing and deal immediate damage, so rapid-firing high-level skills is really, really good. The best team I've found for this so far is Warrior of light > Rydia > Lightning > Zack; give WoL and Lightning "added cut", fill the rest of WoL and Zack's abilities out with focus (and zack's boss skill), and throw in magics for Ligntning and Rydia. This basically makes it so that once abilities start poppin' they'll never stop, so Rydia will ONLY deal damage with her strong magic, and the others will attack with physical things. You can deal near-constant damage, and with a couple Prestiges and visits to the Crystarium, you'll maximize things even further.

You can sub people out, like Rydia for Terra, but the general gist is that you want constant abilities, and mixing it up with some magic users lets you take greater advantage of touch and slide triggers, whereas a team of only physical fighters will be focus-ing and not much else. Also, added cut is op as hell. If you need healing, put in Aerith or something, Great Gospel is p good.

Gamwhiz1 fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Sep 26, 2014

Gamwhiz1
Aug 15, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Is Added Cut better than the big boss-hit abilities? My comparison is Cloud, who has both AC and Omnislash along with the three Focuses.

If you don't have any, or only one, I'd say added cut; my personal ideal though would be level 2 and 3 focus, added, and Omni, unless the rest of your party didn't have enough reactive abilities going on to maintain the chain. You'll often end up with the last enemy in a song running away before you even execute all the abilities left in your queue (on some/most expert scores and nearly all ultimates), so if there's enough going on already, axe the low-damage focus.

Also I was a little curious and made a party of Warrior of Light > Cloud > Auron > Lightning, who all have added cut - It doesn't count itself, unfortunately, so I'd limit it to 2 per party. Still really freaking good though.

Gamwhiz1 fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Sep 26, 2014

Gamwhiz1
Aug 15, 2012

Toxxupation posted:

Oxxidation is a loving prick

Ate there goon fights goin on? That sounds fun :mrgw:

E; also disregard that thing about only using 2 added cuts, just swapped Zack out for Cloud and killed 26 enemies in Ulti One-winged angel :V

Gamwhiz1 fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Sep 26, 2014

Gamwhiz1
Aug 15, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

So what, Cloud/Warrior/Zack/[Lightning or Rydia or Terra or Shantotto] is just the nut?

Not really, but they're good ideas. I'm just saying it's good to make a party with many (and varied) reactive abilities, and added cuts/magics are helpful. Auron, Lightning #2, Paine, and maybe others have added cut and other reactives, Vivi's a magic powerhouse too, and there are tons of other interesting characters that you can totally use instead (one of my favs being teams with sacrifice-type strength moves, like Machina w/2 darks and a sacrifice, 520 strength without any Crystarium). Just steer clear of characters more focused towards FMS and treasure-finding and it usually ends up working out.

And even then I've only gotten about 1/3 of everyone up to 99 anyway so there's probably a bunch more super deece dudes out there. Chaos gets 255 in both Attack and Magic naturally, alongside all the -Aga spells, for instance.

Gamwhiz1 fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Sep 26, 2014

Gamwhiz1
Aug 15, 2012

Kanfy posted:

That'd mean I haven't all critted a single song in 50 hours of gameplay. I know I'm not amazing at this game but give me some credit here you jerk. :colbert:

Nah, I just haven't done any parameter boosting yet since I tend to switch around characters so much so it has to be there.

Yeah, in the Crystarium matching certain cards (and using crit-boosting cards like Mog) gives you a % chance to double the stat gain you get. I'm guessing that's what it means.

Gamwhiz1
Aug 15, 2012

Curtain Call got me interested enough to pick Crisis Core back up, I don't love the game and wish it gave you more freedom of movement/cool ways to combo, but daaaaamn that ending nails it.

...Now the question is, do I pluck Dirge of Cerberus out of my PS2 drawer and give that a chance? I've never tried it, and it obviously has something of a reputation, but is it more "narmy story, weird gameplay" or "aggressively unfun to play"? Like, I suck at shooters, but I've played and enjoyed a few (like Gungrave) and if there's at least SOMETHING redeeming there I'll try it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamwhiz1
Aug 15, 2012

fronz posted:

I just played an international VS match in CC because nobody was on domestically, got someone with 9999 battle rank who chose final battle and crit everything but 5 or 6 notes on ultimate with EX bursts on

these people exist

I usually fight those guys to get kickass quest medleys, but my best online experience was when I played one of XIII's boss songs on ulti against one of them and we BOTH perfect critical'ed the whole thing. It was magical.

...Also, apparantly when that happens the win goes to the person with less online battle ranking :devil:

Gamwhiz1 fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Sep 28, 2014