Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

MarsDragon posted:

I hate how this always happens to Red Mages, though it's kind of inevitable with having White/Black Mages as classes.

At least Red Mages get to have the best fashion sense out of all mages.

XI did it right, give the red mages something that neither white nor black get but that both would kill to have (Thinking of Refresh back in the 75-cap days, I quit before they raised it again but I assume there's a Refresh II nowadays) and then let them be a support role that can emulate a passable white/black mage but really shines at doing something completely different.

...which is basically impossible to pull off in a traditional FF, so I can't say I'm surprised. The hats really do go a long way towards making up for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Shaezerus posted:

Oh my god do not log back in to 11 right now or you will collapse into eternal despair.

I know they made everything easier and raised the cap to 99... did they also kill what little charm the game actually had?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

fount of knowledge posted:

I guess that depends on if you consider "play a melee class; idle in a city looking for a party for six hours", and "die on your way back from an exp party; lose several hours' worth of progress" to have been part of FFXI's "charm". If so then yes, the game definitely lost it. :v:
God, no. Why the hell do you think I quit in the first place? Only had BLM at 75, and sure, it was a job in demand, but I wanted to play something less squishy and there was no way to level it that didn't involve me wanting to shoot myself.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Ohtsam posted:

Even sadder is that if you manage to get the highest card rank the game glitches out because the designers didn't think any would be that crazy.
How many people have actually done it? I know it's been done, but I could never bring myself to do it, and I love to grind so that's saying a lot.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Miracon posted:

Cards can indeed level up, in stats or in attack type. However, as far as I know leveling up just can happen randomly whenever you play a hand with that card. It's not guaranteed to happen.

By the way, the attack type of a card affects its collector's value. X-type cards are worth 1 more point than normal, and A-type cards are worth 2 more points than normal. To get a perfect score of 1700, you'd have to grind until all 100 cards had A-type attack. :shepface:

For those of you who don't know about this system, it's far more ridiculous than that. To get a perfect score, even before you started grinding, you had to make sure that each of your 100 cards had a different pattern of arrows on it!

Granted, there are 256 possible, including "no arrows" which did actually spawn on cards... but man.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Bought Final Fantasy Dimensions. I'm less than an hour in, but it's pretty good so far. Hard to get used to touchscreen controls, but I'll deal.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Krad posted:

I never understood the hype behind this game. Vaporware like Versus, sure. Type-0, definitely. Bravely Default...? Eh... I'm sure my younger self would've liked it. I guess.
I really enjoyed 4 Heroes of Light, and the similar art style is making me hope I will enjoy BD as well.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

ApplesandOranges posted:

If nobody is too far behind on levels, the 'best' party for Necron from an objective stand-point is Eiko, Steiner, Freya, and the last slot can be whoever you choose, but I usually go with Vivi. Necron is weak to Holy and Wind, so Eiko can do large amounts of damage with Holy, Steiner with the Excalibur and Bird Killer also deals a bunch. If you've fully powered up Dragon Crest, Freya works well, but if you haven't, you can either go with the much more expensive Dragon's Breath or stick to Jump. Vivi's Flares aren't the most powerful, but they're decent enough and with him in the party, Steiner can use Flare Sword, which pierces Protect (Necron likes to toss one up every so often).
There's also the low-level strat (which can kill very quickly if you get lucky, or else I wouldn't be mentioning it) of making sure everyone's in critical before the fight and then using Steiner's Charge! ability, which makes them all attack. Freya is best here because Necron's weak to her Holy Lance.

Might not be what you're interested in, because it's high variance, but if you only want to beat the game and don't want to grind too much...

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Saigyouji posted:

It's difficult (well, even more so than usual, that is), but it's been done. The issue is that in the PAL version, you have to get there in 10 hours rather than 12.
Is it possible without cutscene skips? I clocked in at 11:53 when I did it without any skips and it was close as hell, and that's with the two "extra" hours from the proper framerate.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

YggiDee posted:

Not one of you typed The World Ends With You :colbert:

They omitted The Bouncer as well. No taste at all!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Paperhouse posted:

Speaking of TWEWY, how many of you actually managed to use both screens properly whilst in battle? I've got all the way up to Beat's chapter and I pretty much ignored the top screen the whole way, I found it loving impossible to actually co-ordinate doing both screens and passing the light puck appropriately.

I just mash the d-pad. Is there actually a single human being who can use both screens properly?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

fount of knowledge posted:

Also it's entirely possible to get through the game mashing directional buttons and solely focusing on Neku. ESPECIALLY once you get Joshua.

This is how I did both the game and the postgame!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Mill Village posted:

Does 8 work like 7 where all the game data except the movies is on each disc? You could just swap to another disc to get past that part, and then switch back.
I would be surprised if it does, since the big point-of-no-return on Disc 4 locks you out of all the towns and the reason I've always heard cited was "to make room for the end cinematic"... although I guess that wouldn't rule out using the first two discs for that purpose.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Friendly Factory posted:

The text was in Japanese, the voices were in English. Strange decision, considering FFX International had English voices and the option between Japanese and English text.
And the translation patch just replaces the Japanese text with English text, which is why it's so darn easy to apply.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

ImpAtom posted:

Not to keep going on, but a good point of comparison for FFXIII is Resonance of Fate. Resonance of Fate released literally the same month. That game has a plot so incoherent that not even the Japanese players understood it until they released a book which explained the plot. It's a dumb, goofy and insane anime game. It was published by Sega who is not known for putting their best foot forward when it comes to this stuff either.

So take this cutscene. It's insanely bad for a lot of reasons. It's creepy and ridiculous and just kind of dumb.
Between that and them choosing to refer to the creepy shut-in nerd Cardinal Pater as "Master Pater" for half his scenes, RoF has a very special spot in my memory as one of the creepiest loving JRPGs I've ever played.

Which is a shame, because the battle system was at least a little interesting (if ultimately over-reliant on something that consumes a limited resource and intuitively feels like it should be boss-fight-only) and some of the backgrounds were beautiful.

e: also, holy poo poo, link me to a translation of this book, what the gently caress happened in that game?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I can't check the video, what are the steps for the FF9 quest that made people miss it for 13 years?
From the description:

quote:

If you go to the Tantalus hideout at the beginning of disc 4, you will find Zenero and Benero wondering where Marcus and Cinna are. You've likely seen this before, but this is actually the beginning of a side quest. Now, head to Memoria and proceed until you watch a cut-scene or fight a boss. Then head back to the hideout to find Genero wondering where Benero and Zenero are. Then repear this process seven more times and every time you go back to the hideout, you will find a new member of the family. The last five are girls and the final one seems to be a child, as she is really small. Once you talk to her, Zidane will comment on the huge family and you will now find a new chest containing a Protect Ring inside the hideout.
You can advance it via the fiend fights and a bunch of cutscenes, 17 triggers total.

e: f,b

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

ApplesandOranges posted:

Vayne can be a fairly sympathetic villian, looking at it from the right angles. He just made a bunch of really bad choices.
I actually felt bad for Dr. Cid on some levels. He was a total dickbag, up to and including trying to run his son's life and then trying to kill him, but he had direct conversations with basically-God, who was telling him where to point his research, and his ultimate end goal was freedom from a bunch of awful morons who think the best way to run the world is to make prospective kings trek halfway across it in order to prove their worthiness to go somewhere even more dangerous and get their hands on basically-nukes. Not so much that he was good, but that he clearly had some good ideals, and that the alternative to him was worse. It was interesting how much I could feel bad for this completely insane dude trying to murder me.

e: also anyone in that game who didn't talk in iambs automatically got points for me after I met the Occuria

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

ImpAtom posted:

I don't know, I think this is basically what they need to do. If they're not trying to have universal appeal then maybe they can have some focus in their games.
Counterpoint: It took them for-loving-ever to announce localization of Bravely Default: Flying Fairy. Next time they make something like that, maybe we won't get it at all under this new policy.

(mind you, I can't actually confirm BD:FF won't suck, but I liked 4 Heroes of Light a lot so I could use the same argument with that one probably not being US-targeted.)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Bongo Bill posted:

The worst case scenario is a return to the mid-90s, where half their titles don't get localized, but their best stuff still does. This is a real fear - even though they did confirm Bravely Default, consider that we almost didn't get loving Dragon Quest 6 until Nintendo stepped in to publish it.
Holy poo poo, I hadn't heard this before. In what universe does that make even a marginal amount of sense? I mean, DQ doesn't set the world on fire over here like it does over there, but isn't it still a fairly consistent seller?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Mazed posted:

Final Fantasy XIII did give random NPCs voiced dialogue. Of course there are literally what, three places where random NPCs even exist. :v:
I ran back and forth to grind at one point right before the final dungeon, which required weaving through two NPCs

"This is the throne of Eden!"
"drat those Pulse l'Cie!"

ad infinitum

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Cake Attack posted:

Flamehounds are some serious bullshit though.
Could you imagine being six years old and running into them?

They left one hell of a memory for me.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Man, if this came in different characters I would totally buy the Sazh trilogy.
if the action figure's hands could do the little gun flip he did when he pulled them out :3:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

amaranthine posted:

I know, right? Adding post-battle poses to Final Fantasy is totally gross and disrespectful to the series, I wish they'd go back to games like Final Fantasy 7, which totally didn't have Tifa conveniently thrusting out her breasts after you won every fight!

It's basically like playing with Kitase's real doll. Or whatever real dolls were back then.

They were awful back then too. You'd think we'd have made some progress since then.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Azure_Horizon posted:

Kitase just came out and said that if the HD re-releases do well, that they'll do XII. Not that I'm excited for that abysmal title getting remastered or anything, but some people do like it.
oh my god it'll be IZJS and have the original audio

...A MAN CAN DREAM, DAMMIT

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Pureauthor posted:

Also I think they gave Ultimecia some of Rinoa's weapons to equip in Dissidia.
...because Rinoa was also a sorceress and Ultimecia didn't have any equipment otherwise, but I'm not going to continue this because I hate when other people start it.

High point of FF8 was the speech from Laguna at the end that literally said something like "step 3: use the power of friendship and love to avoid becoming lost in time forever!"

edit: At guy above, you just finished Disc 1? Love to get your impression when you get further, don't read this yet...
Did you think there was an abrupt tonal shift when Disc 2 started?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

The White Dragon posted:

You say this as if FF8 doesn't have abrupt tonal shifts every five minutes
I wanted to know if he noticed the big one when he wasn't explicitly looking for it, because I came in looking for it and sure, found it in spades, but I'm wondering if that was confirmation bias.

Now we'll never know, since now he knows to look for it :downs:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Peel posted:

Maybe Noel could have been some kind of barbarian/razor-edged lunatic from a future where all civilisation collapsed and he was one of the last people alive rather than the blandest dude in 700 years of history.

I don't think even the devs liked him, just look at the Snow paradox ending.
That was easily the best ending in the game, right down to how they ran off to look for bullshit magic crystals nobody had heard of before. It was perfect!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

ImpAtom posted:

FFXIII-2 would have been roughly infinitely more tolerable if it was just willing to be silly as poo poo 24/7. Once it starts yapping about paradoxes my brain shuts down.
Changing the future changes the past :eng101:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

That loving Sned posted:

I had no idea whether the people of Cocoon lived on the inside or outside. One of the things I thought was interesting when I played the first Halo was seeing the land curve up into the sky, and join with the other side right at the very top. Even if it's very abstract or unexplained, they should at least give you a visual reference that you're not on any normal planet.
Weren't there lights in the sky in half the intro cutscenes? I had a fairly distinct impression of inside-ness somehow, but I don't recall why.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Peel posted:

Star Ocean 4 is the only 0% entry in my trophy list. I should probably sell it or something.

That guy wanted 360 RPGs, but what are the good PS3 RPGs? I didn't pay much attention this gen so I'm out of the loop. I have FFXIII & sequel, the Disgaeas and Resonance of Fate.
Nier is incredible if you can deal with some clunky gameplay. Ni No Kuni is incredible, period. The port of Eternal Sonata made the plot slightly less batshit insane, but it's still peak JRPG, so your mileage may greatly vary.

e: poo poo, how did I forget Valkyria Chronicles, I loved that game

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Zonko_T.M. posted:

The mist knacks will open up those outlying panels you can reach. There's charts or lists that will show you which job gets what abilities depending on which summon/knack you choose. You can only get up to three knacks, but I don't remember if it's possible to claim a fourth or later knack-space for a summon but no new super attack.
You can't.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Coughing Hobo posted:

I can't think of any time I ever needed to grind in FFVI, even my first time through the game.
I got my rear end kicked by Air Force/Ultros my first time, because I didn't take advantage of having access to good shops at basically any poinst post-Thamasa. That really stands out, for me, as the only place I had to grind - that segment from there to Atma Weapon just being two powerful bosses and a shitton of powerful random encounters, some of which you can't run from.

Of course, I was like eight, and I didn't know how good Gau was...

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

SpazmasterX posted:

For the life of me I cannot think of a parallel between Ultimecia's Castle and any event in FFXI.
Maybe he means the end of CoP? I don't remember it that well but Al'Taieu had that castle in it and then a trippy space battle against literal God or something, right? It's been years since I've thought of that game.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I don't think I've ever seen this opinion on the internet. There's a pretty clear divide between VI and VII+ fans, which I think is silly (being someone who grew up playing the SNES FFs and loved VII).

I'm curious though, what's so poo poo about VII that VIII does better?
That's not a common opinion? Because it's mine too.

7 aged like poo poo, 8 somehow managed to remain playable. I can't actually comment on any of 7's merits, since it's in the club of FFs I couldn't get more than three hours into (single-digit prime-numbered ones) but 8 had me laughing at its plot (unintentionally) and breaking the incredible game mechanics over my knee thanks to the card game, and then the ending was so far over the top it felt like something out of Grant Morrison.

Like, Laguna literally tells you to use the power of love and friendship. This isn't a thinly veiled JRPG metaphor, he actually says it.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Paracelsus posted:

What're the odds that the "God" she's talking about ends up being the final boss? I'm guessing something in the area of 100:1.
That actually stuck out like a sore thumb to me. They haven't said "God" before, right? And Lightning met Etro personally and knows she's a Goddess?

Who's the God here? Do they worship Bhunivelze? Is Lindzei pulling the wool over everyone's eyes and you're doing his dirty work all game before you kill him?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

PunkBoy posted:

Oh god, looks like I'm not doing the bestiary sidequest as well.
Bestiary sidequest only ended up making me grind one thing in that floaty area at the end.

...and one was enough, since it was pretty awful, but you will get the majority of them if you just go through to the final boss and get in fights along the way.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I admit it, I'm that guy who actually cares about this... but is Balthier's bow animation as slow as his gun animation? If so, I'd swap him and one of the other two you have free, because his gun animation is literally a fifth of a second longer than anyone else's and it's a huge drag on his DPS.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Great Lakes Log posted:

It's not that it's particularly long, I just think its boring and I don't care enough to actually go through the motions to finish the game. All I'm going to do on the final boss is get squall into limit break territory make him invincible and use Lion Heart over and over till the game is done. I don't care enough about the story to do this. Or even read about it! I assume you save the world.
If you turn off the ending halfway through, you can pretend that jackass Squall gets what he deserves.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Fungah! posted:

A way better time to do that is when he gets impaled by that ice spear, though. Not only do you get to pretend he died, you can stop playing the game three disks early!
It's too late for that now! Besides, he'd miss out on MASTER NORG and his actually really good boss fight theme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Elec posted:

I'm at what I can only assume is a 'halfway' point in 12 IZJS. There's just so much to do with marks and stuff. Gaining levels seems to be somewhat slow going--in the high 40s now and just beat Gilgamesh, though story-wise I just fought Cid. (Loved that re-done theme from 5 during the Gilg fight)

Do I still have quite a way to go? I have no interest at all in fighting super-bosses or anything (outside of a half-hearted attempt just to see how fast I get slaughtered), though I have to say that I'm pretty surprised at some of the victories I've eked out of some of the elite marks and some optional espers.
Speaking of espers, how doable are the last couple of optional ones?

This Reverse spell... can I just use this during any boss fight for smooth sailing? I am certainly not going to complain about its inclusion!
Yes, you have a fair ways to go yet. I can't give you an approximate level to beat the game at, since I am that guy who does all the hunts, no matter how impossible, as soon as they become available.

As for the Espers, depends on which you mean by "the last couple of optional" - the difficulty ramps up pretty steeply on the last one or maybe two, the others are all around the same level of challenge at the time you can take them on IMO.

And yes, Reverse is insane. Do you have Decoy? I don't remember which jobs get it in IZJS.