Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Barudak posted:

Consider FFXII if you haven't then, they're pretty similar in the political intrigue->magical god poo poo transition. Plus they're theoretically the same world even if there is so little overlap its almost fraud to say they're connected.

They're both incredibly Matsuno, even though Matsuno left during FFXII development. If you like the whole political intrigue angle of FFT, you'll likely enjoy XII, Tactics' little brothers Tactics Advance/2 and its spiritual predecessor, Tactics Ogre and it's also loosely linked friend Vagrant Story.

The link between XII and Tactics is pretty weak, Tactics is supposedly set way into XII's future where technology crashed and all non humans seem to have been purged, but the Zodiacs and the Espers are meant to be named the same, even if they're not actually related. Tactics just has a rather bad translation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Krad posted:

This is a lie. I thought the same thing before trying XII for the first time and ended up pretty disappointed. It turned into FF: Star Wars two hours into the game.

It's a fair complaint, especially as there is no Chewbacca analogue.

The White Dragon posted:

Ozma's actually pretty easy if you do the friendly monster sidequest, but if you were unaware of the part where completing it makes him vulnerable to Darkness instead of absorbing it (like I was), your chances of success drop from like 90% to 5% just because he basically gets an extra round before dying.

I don't see how anyone could possibly enjoy Tactics Advance 1 without disabling laws. Even if folks defend them with "well you can just walk around for a few days and the laws will change," that's the worst workaround I've ever heard. Also don't mislead him telling him its story is anything more than "rear end in a top hat complains about escapism, is an rear end in a top hat" :colbert:

The law system is so horrid in that game. Whenever I play it, I just do laps in the Jagd areas because I don't have an Game Shark for my Gameboy Advance.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's one of those things where you wonder how you even struggled to do it once it clicks, but until it clicks it's the hardest thing ever.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The fact that Lightning Returns comes out on Feb. 14 over here is the perfect summary of the XIII trilogy to me.

I'm absolutely positive that Toriyama pushed hard for that.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ilifinicus posted:

I don't get it, please explain without involving valentine's day because that would be silly since that means nothing to Toriyama since the was out in November already in Japan

There is no explanation without Valentines Day. The man made a bunch of kinda creepy comments about how perfect Lightning is so it seems perfect to the point of planning that the final major release date for her final showing is Valentines Day because he's creepy and possibly in love with her.

Just because he's Japanese doesn't mean his interest involvement ends at Japanese release.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The dub DLC is timed free, but if you don't need to access it through the store in game, just download it through the PS store and get the credit for it applied to your account.

I've no idea how that's going to work though so it's something to look out for.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's going to be for Lightning Returns when it comes out.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

After hearing my fair share of shrieky and squealy female Japanese voice actors and knowing what kind of character Vanille, I don't think I can imagine how bad Japanese Vanille could truly be.

Especially considering that the English one isn't all that bad. She's not exactly the best VA who ever existed, but she works for the role.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jan 23, 2014

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Vanille's voice is still terrible in both languages mind but even then the English version threw in random Australian accents. I'd take the English voice though if just because I hate Cutsey Girl Voices in Japanese.

I'm going to spoiler this because ilifinicus hasn't played FFXIII.
They're Aussies because they're not from Pulse like everyone else. I think it's a nice little nod. They sound like they're down under because they're literally from down underneath pulse

I just finished the LR:XIII demo.
It was pretty bland, the combat seems like it has potential in the end, but the demo didn't really give you a good stage for it and it seemed very short, too short to actually settle in, play and get a grasp on it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

chumbler posted:

It tries really hard to top 13-2's magnificent, best in the FF series ending, but doesn't quite make it.

I genuinely like that ending. It's so absurd and kind of out of nowhere. I'm also pretty impressed they had the balls to straight up kill the player character just like that at the end. It made me laugh pretty hard, which might mean I'm deranged or something, but it was a great ending.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I certainly was talking about 13-2.
There are no words suitable to discuss LR's ending.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

haha, yeah, that'll do it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

A Steampunk Gent posted:

This is a good thing: FFT is dreadfully slow.

l i t t l e m o n e y

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

fronz posted:

This is exactly what I thought of. On the other hand, it's also the only thing I could think of. The rest of the game felt fine to me.

Same here, but it's so iconic that it can't go without mentioning when FFT is mentioned.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

That's because Yasumi Matsuno is the best writer Square-Enix ever had. Tactics Ogre is equally good (I prefer it) in all the same ways as FFT and he's running a Kickstarter for a spiritual successor to FFT/Ogre Battle.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Tactics Ogre on PSP owns, but it has some pretty odd design choices.
Use a Gameshark code to make it so you have 100% crafting success rate, and maybe use an EXP code so that your new classes can be caught up to the rest of your classes easily to cut out a bunch of grinding.

If you don't have a PSP, you could buy the game, figure out how to make your UMD an .iso and then use PPSSPP, which is pretty good for an emulator.

Tactics Ogre PSP also has one of the best UI's I've ever seen. It's all amazingly crisp, presented really well with gorgeous as all hell character portraits.

Helmet 10 Warehouse is running a pretty sweet LP of it over in the Let's Play forum too.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Basch was originally intended to be the main protagonist of the game, and in many ways he really still is. As far as I know it was never confirmed as fact, but the rumour was that Square-Enix didn't feel as though a gruff 30+ year old man could move copies of Final Fantasy so they inserted or promoted Vaan and Penelo to player avatar and poster boy/girl to shift copies.

A lot of the reason why Vaan and Penelo feel as though they have no reason to be there and are tagging along is basically just that, they are just tagging along. Reks was added to give Vaan some motivation and to give him a way to meet Basch. I've heard Vaan and Penelo were always present in the script though, so maybe they were just re-purposed and shuffled up instead of being main friendly face characters in Rabanastre.

Yasumi Matsuno had a serious health condition as development of XII was reaching its end and had to leave the project prior to completion. I think people believe he had a nervous breakdown, which is super lame obviously. This will have no doubt affected how the game turned out in the grand scheme of things, and the ultimate mark Yiazmat was named in his honour.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I played it without cheating on my PSP too. The chance of failing a craft is just so arbitrary and easily save scummed that you may as well save yourself time by just getting rid of it if you can. I would say its the only thing you should definitely cheat away because it serves no purpose but to annoy the player. Grinding is just a personal choice thing, so if you don't like it, why bother with it is all.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Choice as in you like doing it or not. I was probably unclear about that.

I was saying that if you don't like doing it, you can consider using a code to catch up quickly and skip the majority of it via cheating or you can do it the intended way and grind your classes up slowly. Grinding to catch new classes up is an integral part of the game, and the game is good at giving low level classes more exp to help you catch up pretty quickly.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Canopus is the best :allears:
I dream of a game starring him and T.G Cid destroying everything ever.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Seh-sil.
Choco-bow. As in chocolate and the thing that fires arrows.

South Yorkshire, England for location reference.

Tidus has no pronunciation. Saying his name brings the end of the world and everything on it. Just go with "him" or "you-know-who".
That rename thing in FFX was the dumbest thing and has literally no reason to be in there.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Jibo posted:

A love for giant monsters that transform into planes and cars and poo poo is optional.

Actually, that's mandatory if you wish to live a life of contentment.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It took me 100 hours to platinum XIII, and 40 of those were main campaign. The other 60 were Archylte Steppe with very brief sojourns elsewhere. I dunno what they were thinking by having Titan there and not having you fight him though.

The Archylte Steppe in XIII-2 was much more visually impressive, but it was tiny and it was worse for it.

e: fixed terrible math error.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

X was basically the prototype for XIII. It's equally linear, with as much corridor running as XIII in impressive for the time areas that were quite small, a large plateau where you did mini-games and most of the end game content and such. It has better writing and characters, but structurally, they're not that different.

X had blitzball though, which I enjoyed so I was OK with it. And towns. I think X is a better game than XIII, but I hold their shared flaws against them. I've seen my fair share of people poo poo on XIII for being a linear turd of a game yet praise X as the be all and end all of Final Fantasy in the next breath.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I don't know. I don't think either game hides it well when there's a minimap on screen, and the minimap is showing a blue corridor for the forseeable future. It has the better art direction of the two to help that though.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ShadeofDante posted:

I had a theory that SE was hoping the FFXIII trilogy would mirror Mass Effect.

Sadly, FFXIII trilogy has no Wrex tier character to make any of it decent.
Thinking on it, I feel all three games would be improved if the dialogue consisted solely of "Lightning" "Snow" "Hope" "Sazh" "Lightning" "Fang" "Vanille" "Serah" "Baby Chocobo".

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Caius. Dude's Hammy in all the right ways.

Caius was OK, but he wasn't a Wrex.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Objectively untrue.
Wrex is the best Mass Effect character.
That scene does rule though.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

At least Academia looks quite nice?

chumbler posted:

"Yeah this poo poo is super tedious to actually play, guys."

I've just read through all of this "XIII-2 is really awful" conversation, I've just quoted something inarguably true and I've suddenly got the urge to play XIII-2. What the gently caress is wrong with me.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I only really want to fight the Ultros boss in XIII-2, but I can't afford to buy silly boss fights for games. I only want the Ultros one because :allears:Ultros:allears:

Apparently Akihiko Yoshida is joining the Kickstarter for Matsuno's new SRPG, and won't be a stretch goal.

That truly is looking to be an Ivalice/Ogre Battle successor and I'm praying they at least meet the Sakimoto stretch goal.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Rirse posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQrBSO74DzA

This trailer for Lightning Returns is interesting, as it a recap of the FFXIII and FFIII-2 plot using Final Fantasy VI style sprites. It really well done too, but bums me out they cant just make a new game like this, instead of the horrible iOS style they been using.

Would play the living hell out of this.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Pesky Splinter posted:

It's SE NA's offical Youtube account.

Anyone know if they released a chiptune version of Caius' theme?

Caius, I have an idea.
Get Yuel some velcro shoes and teach the poor girl how to swim.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

That summary of FFXIII-2 is the most amazing thing.

Seriously.
"Snow, I can't stay, be careful!" "(Snow gets no lines)" is the best.

Caius has become TRIPLE BAHAMUT.

Serah drops dead.
Noel: Oh no.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Final Fantasy XIII is a pretty special kind of stupid.

That said this isn't entirely wrong. Trying to describe, say, FFIX would involve "turns out that Zidane is a genetically engineered space alien from another dimension created to destroy Earth but he has amnesia."

And then a blue thing appears and it's Iifa Tree or something.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Not just the port, more effort than basically everything Final Fantasy related in the past decade.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance is the tale of a boy who wants to stop his wheelchair bound little brother from being able to walk so badly he destroys the entire world.

Maybe.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

You are a teenager with a magical adoptive sister who mind controls you into the past to put you in the mind of your father while he bangs the mother of the girl you want to bang and then you kill a witch from the future.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Stay away! Stay away! Stay away!

That's my dissidia summary.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I've been making jokes about him being head over heels for her since XIII-2's announcement.
I was about as funny then as I am now. Not at all. :v:

Also someone in here a while ago mentioned me having a theory about it and the perfect Feb 14 EU release for LR. It was a joke, dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Sex_Ferguson posted:

It is, go play BBS.

Wait for HD 2.5, it'll be in there and will own bones.

I'd have just gone with "Simple and clean" for them all.