Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I bought ff132 today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Madmarker posted:

Ugh, I'm sorry, its the worst game in the series.

If it manages to be worse than ff13 I'll eat my hat

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Help Im Alive posted:

Why do people that don't like 13 buy 13-2

because I can always just return it like I did the first one

game is already better thanks to having a) jokes and b) fun music

also c) no crying child seriously hope please shut up

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Final Fantasy 13 2 is............ good

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I changed my mind

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

haha holy poo poo are there really SOLVE MY MAZE segments in ff13-2

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The boss fights are still tedious as gently caress, though. The stagger system is such a terrible concept, it turns every fight into a huge drag.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

The stagger system is straight-up the best idea a FF combat system had in a long time. It actually helps with a lot of problems FF games traditionally have.

It helps cut down on the HP bloat that so many FF bosses have. FFXIII bosses have a lot of HP (although not more than other recent FF bosses) but they actually go down faster due to a combination of a faster combat system and the stagger system allowing higher damage numbers earlier on, at least if you're using it properly.

It also gives them a way to make status effects hit without just making the boss vulnerable to them, since Staggering changes a bosses elemental strengths and weaknesses and can be exploited to stick debuffs that you normally couldn't. Giving the players a goal to to work towards to allow incredibly powerful debuffs to hit is better than just making the enemy immune to them.

On top of that, Lightning Returns had a great idea for making staggering give enemies unique specific stagger effects and adding other ways to stagger them (such as a perfectly timed guard) which gives yet another option to the fight beyond "cast Fireaga until their HP be gone."

You can finish almost every boss fight in FFXIII in 5 minutes or less. People have done runs where they do most of them in 5-10 minutes without upgrading their characters at all. (And a few require upgrading their equipment but not their character levels.)

On the other hand, it means earlier bosses are all identical because you just cast magic until they stagger and then hit them a bunch. For examples see the big flan boss in ff13-2 which can barely hurt you but still is boring to actually fight.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

That is because FFXIII-2 had significantly worse design that de-emphasizes interesting stagger mechanics. (Which is one of the reasons I'm not fond of it despite it having other mechanical improvements.) FFXIII's bosses actually were a bit more varied because most of them were a tutorial for a specific mechanic.

They're still early-game FF bosses though, don't get me wrong. Most of them are boring with the most thought they need being "don't hit the boss when it is guarding."

How is ff133?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

lol at the resolution of ff13-3's ingame screenshots

wao

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Rianlee posted:

I like serious RPGs, like having storyline relevant party members, and hate having monsters as party members, since they're rarely relevant to the story. It seems that FF13-2 and FF13-3 are not for me.

13-3 has no party members at all except magical mary sue lightning

also the demo has sold me on it, the combat is so much better goddamn

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

lollin at how lovely the screenshot function is

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I have decided that lightning returns is pretty good on the whole

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

lol

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

They could hire some artists to draw the prerendered backdrops at a higher resolution. That'd be neat.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

To be fair if you could make millions by doing no work at all why the gently caress would you not?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

Maybe SE will decide to do a port of SaGa Frontier for PSN/Vita and as an added bonus they'll go back in and finish the game so we can play Fuse's storyline, and Lute's will be longer than 5 minutes. :unsmith:

Lute's story was probably never planned to be that long, honestly. All the SaGa games have a character with no story events, so that you can move on to the nonlinear stuff as quickly as possible. There's a character in the PS2 Romancing Saga whose entire storyline is that she danced at a bar once.

Fuse, on the other hand, we got screwed out of.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

TARDISman posted:

Lute's story was pretty much that, hell according to official timelines, his is finished last because he's recruitable in everyone else's story. drat shame about Fuse, Asellus and anyone else in that game with bits cut from their story. Come to think of it, I think the three complete stories were Blue, Red, and Riki. So cool, awesome, and a waste of goddamn time.

Fuckin' Riki. The Armic of Saga Frontier.

But did you ever play Romancing Saga PS2? That's a good game, but I think people passed it over because Unlimited Saga was... Unlimited Saga.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

TommyGun85 posted:

unlimited saga has an amazing soundtrack

Unlimited Saga has amazing everything, but people didn't like it regardless.

Except for Armic. Nobody likes Armic.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Xad posted:

So I've been playing FFXIII a bit more, and I don't get all the confusion with the fal'Cie, l'Cie, Cie'th that everyone and their dog kept complaining about in the thread. I don't remember if they explain what a fal'Cie is, but they pretty clearly say multiple times in cutscenes that a l'Cie is someone given a quest by a fal'Cie, and if you gently caress it up you turn into a Cie'th. They even conveniently explain that Serah turns into a crystal because she didn't gently caress up, very soon after you see it happen. I guess I was just expecting the plot to be a lot more confusing?

Also the battle system is really fun, especially now that I can actually use paradigms. I wish you could pick roles for individual characters in-battle, though. Otherwise there's not really a point in not just instantly making every possible paradigm for your party, in case you need to exploit a specific weakness or something. One of the early bosses is weak to water and lightning, luckily I had set up a RAV/COM/RAV paradigm for Lightning/Snow/Vanille beforehand or I would have been stuck with just COM/RAV/RAV.

I also switched to the Japanese voices immediately after the "Moms are tough" scene and Vanille is by far the most anime character. And I wish Hope would go away forever and maybe I could have another synergist to replace him?

Did you mean the inexplicable Australian yet? Because she is the best character.

Hope is the worst, which is why he has a significant side part in 13-2 and is your Otacon in 13-3 while Sazh just cries a bunch instead :shrug:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

MOMS ARE STRONG

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I think it's pretty funny that Lightning's MO in Lightning Returns is to just beat people up because the world's ending anyway. People will gibe you quests to just straight up drive species to extinction and she doesn't even care

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Aurain posted:

Shamefully, if I get LR for PC, this is one of the first things I hope people mod away. If I'm going to accessorise, I can't be having those neon pink eye sores ruining my efforts.

If lightning doesn't look like a crazy woman you're not doing it right.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Protip for FFT: get a mediator and breed cool monster bros to be your pal. if you get chocobos you can ride around on them!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Suikoden Tactics is really good, by the way. It's a shame that it's tied to the rpg with the worst world map of all time, Suikoden "let's ride a loving boat" 4

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Nah, just make sure you save before you start a level since some are two-part (with a save point in the middle) and if you get halfway and then realize the second part is too tough at the moment, if you can't reload to right before you started you'll probably be pretty mad.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Don't blame me, blame yourself or God

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I just had Ramza punch everybody on half because he had max Bravery.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Haha Sazh's storyline in FF13-3 is so stupid

SAZH IT WAS YOUR ANGRY FACE PUT YOUR SON IN A COMA

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I liked that in ff13-3 lightning gets really sick of caius's whining and just leaves, because those were my feelings as well.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Artix posted:

The 13-2 preload is up on Steam, somehow they've taken an 8GB game on consoles and made it 28. :shepface:

It's probably like the PC FF13 where they rerendered all the fmvs to be higher resolution. 13-2 on consoles has really fuckin lovely quality FMVs (partly because there are so many of them and partly because the game runs at like 400p) so it is honestly a good choice on their part.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Reminder the ffxv has been in dev since 2005, possibly earlier

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

so for the next area of our new final fantasy i'm thinking five hours of straight corridor over a blue frozen lake

ship it

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

THIS PLACE IS HUGE, LIGHTNING! WE COULD GET LOST!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

oh wow shiva was in the bullshit ice lake ???

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

dMastri posted:

Nah PC only. Still no console though I may finally bite the bullet and grab a PS4 next month.

To be honest I recently grabbed a 60" TV and have been looking for games to play from my couch. After running through Valkyria Chronicles I had an RPG itch to scratch and decided to take a chance on FFVII.

In terms of what hooked me on FFVII, the plot was completely different and modern. Brought back memories of my favorite RPG Phantasy Star IV, so I guess what I really liked is that it wasn't standard fantasy fare. Steampunk, future, etc is a nice change of pace. And the gameplay was a nice change too - with materia being separately leveled and allowing you to mix & match & totally respec guys at a moment's notice. I did think the party size of 3 was too small, though that's a minor gripe.

I feel like I watched my old roommate play through X when it was released and I think I didn't care for the combat system, but that was years age and I could be mis-remembering.

I did consider looking at Tactics. Is that at all like Shining Force or completely different?

Are IV and VI back to traditional fantasy tropes?

4 mostly is just fantasy. However, 6 is where the strange steampunkish future fantasy thing started in the series, though not to the same degree as 7 and the later ones. It's pretty solid. Though 8, for all that the gameplay and story is completely retarded in many ways, is absolutely not a traditional fantasy game. So you might like it, I don't know, but I didn't. It's very... experimental.

Though 13-2 is coming to PC soon, so you could try that.

Do not play ff13-1 under any circumstances.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Gambits would have improved 13 immensely. You already spend most battles hitting auto battle, so letting me set up how to act in fully automatic would have been much better.

Maybe have separate gambit lists for each paradigm?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Madmarker posted:

Yeah, unfortunately for me, my computer is a piece of crap, and I'm not sure it would handle it. Can you patch the game disk somehow to run the IZJS version of an American PS2 in English or is that not a thing that can happen?

You could mod your console.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

FF9 is absolutely the best one but he asked for games with PC ports so I don't know why we're talking about it :shrug: