Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I think you guys are forgetting that every game is the worst Final Fantasy game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Alright, I'm playing Final Fantasy Dimensions right now and honestly it's...good. The story isn't great, but it's decent. The combat is where it really shines. I'm in Chapter 2 with the Light Warriors, and I JUST got Barbara the Dragoon guest character at the Highwind Tower. So I figure it's time to step up my grinding game and I need some advice.

The main thing I'm already seeing about this game is that, like FF5, any job combination works fine. That said, I want to make fights both as easy as reasonably possible and also start to jump on the min/max train a little. I've done some research but I'd still appreciate some advice.

First, where's a good place to grind out AP in Chapter 2? Second, right now I have Sol a level 6 Monk, with a level 6 Warrior and 2 Thief. Aigis is a level 6 Warrior with a level 6 Monk. Sarah is a level 5 Red Mage with a level 4 Black Mage and level 4 Summoner. Dusk is a level 5 Red Mage with a level 4 White Mage. The first job is the primary job, and the second/third jobs are the ones I level after I reach the Job level cap on the main job.

What's a good level to take their jobs (I already know to get Red Mage to 20 as soon as possible because its usefulness will start to run out soon) and what jobs should I start maining? And what are some set-ups that you guys have? I could also use the same information for the Dark Warriors.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

Barudak posted:

Your endgame party, if optimization is a concern for you, will be 4 Dark Warriors and a light warrior with mastered Red Mage and the levels in Paladin and Warrior to get the Great Wall F ability and then specced into Seer. The other 3 chuckles there can be anything you want since the game is really easy outside of the Tier 2 boss for both parties.

As for grinding AP once you have access to the completed world map (i.e. before the final dungeon) you will be able to fight cactuars who die in a single phantom rush and give out 100 AP. You don't really need to even consider this unless you are itchin to kill the post-game super bosses 6 times or really want to steamroll the hell out of the endgame.

3 Dark Warriors should all either get the f-ability phantom rush (Monk 17 Dropkick+Dancer 20 jesus christ dancer sucks so bad) or ranger 20 multihit then become Ninjas for Dual Wield before becoming Dark Knights with the backrow ability. The remaining dark warrior should master Red Mage and Blackmage then become a Magus in end game and dualcast Meteor/Comet with +50% to damage over and over again.

Thank 'e man. And what are some of the other good F-Abilities to get?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
drat it, this game looks to be just as horrible as the rest of the console games of the Fabulous Pretentious Latinous series of FFXIII. I really hope that Kung Fu Jesus and the Posse LP it.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
It says something about games in general, possibly even about humanity, than even a mini series I hate as much as FFXIII can have at least one good thing in them, maybe even a few if you get lucky. Sazh gambling was one of those few.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

alcharagia posted:

I forgot to mention that you defeat the HAL-1000 by screaming your complaints against its functionality at its creator 200 years in the past.

That was actually one of the few other things I liked, although I'll admit I didn't even think about it the first time, but KFJ's LP of the game made it hilarious to me. Like, that's very nearly something that old school FF might just pull.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I think my favorite party in FF6 was Terra, Locke, Edgar, Sabin, and Celes. But as somebody said before, most of the characters were all cool motherfuckers. My problem with this great game is that it had points where you HAD to play as the other characters, and since I only really concentrated on my favorites...yeah. Rough times were had.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I feel like we need to continuously keep reminding ourselves whenever we begin to post in this thread that every game is the worst in the series. Come on guys. You don't have to argue about the semantics of the worst game when this is a thread dedicated to the worst game.

I've gotten to chapter 3 of FFD, and I'm beginning to feel that if the story wasn't so bland, and the characters didn't keep falling under the umbrella of "nobody ever helps anybody until they fight" this actually could have been a strong rival of FF6. The basics are there, but the staff just couldn't pull it together.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I must be the only guy who liked Serah/Snow, and was disappointed that even Square-Enix had absolutely no interest in the two. And I HATE Fabulous Prissy Latinis and just about everything in it except Sazh. And now Snow is evil, because gently caress. This is going to be more of the same drat "nobody ever just talks about the problem".

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
No, the most powerful outfit is a black two piece bikini that barely covers the areolas and exposes tons of rear end and grants Auto Haste, Auto Bravery, Auto Faith, and applies a special Slow, Poison, and Blind status to enemies that cannot be resisted.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
It gets worse, mate. At least After Years does a few things right, and actually manages to have badass moments.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I fuckin' love Ivalice. The setting and the whole "politics but with magic" poo poo is so cash. Even though a lot of people seemingly have issues with the more magical part of that equation in terms of FFT.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I have done so much grinding in FFD to get my Job levels to the points where I can switch them to the Jobs I consider fun that I am no longer having fun. It would help if Sol/Alba would please stop being the most annoying people in the world. Final party is going to consist of Aigis/Diana/Nacht/Dusk/Glaive (or Sarah), because screw Sol and Alba. Especially Alba. At least Sol has a good heart underneath his stupid.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

SSNeoman posted:

Well what do you know! I found a use for Dancers in FFD. When I was fighting the Earth Eater, I used my Dancer to heal my Paladin and D. Knight. Cure Dance doesn't trigger his spell absorption. My other two mages got killed by that point, but I decided to see how far I could go before having to reset. Killed him before he got me :smug:
That accessory he dropped is just what I need for the last dungeon. Prevents enemy encounters oh god yes

I refuse to believe that anything makes them actually useful. I still need to level Nacht up in them to get Phantom Rush too...

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
The best parts of FFXIII were Sazh, Snow being a good hearted idiot (this was only a good thing around 25% of the time), and Serah's hotness. Like, holy poo poo. FFXIII-2 just amped it up. But I mean drat, I can almost understand hentai when I look at her.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

Great Lakes Log posted:

Quick question about a totally different FF game, because I have played either of the XIII's yet. There are a few versions of FFV in existence, and I'm wary of just getting the PSN one because FFVI had such awful load times. Does the GBA game make significant changes? Is the iOS one serviceable?

I would honestly say that the GBA port is the best version, but I might be a little biased because it's the first one I played and I still really love it.

Anyway, I was just saying Serah is pretty cute, but I understand my comment was inappropriate, and I am sorry.

Just got Paladin in FFD, and because of my aforementioned Job grinding I can actually immediately switch to that Job and maybe have fun now. You know, after I get through the last section of Chapter 3 and get Ninja, AKA probably the most DAMAGE Job. You don't know how much I'm looking forward to dropping Alba and never, ever, again having to deal with her.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Of course, once you see where the world goes in Vagrant Story and Tactics, there's also the question of whether it was worth it, because I think it's implied that without the Occuria's influence, magic comes to a slow end.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I've gotten to Chapter 4 of FFD, the last chapter. I've got my Paladin's runnin', my core characters all nice and tidy, Ninja's kicking rear end, and now I'm having fun. LAST CHAPTER, MORE THAN 15 HOURS OR MORE (definitely more) INTO THE GAME, AND NOW I'M HAVING FUN. The story is actually sort of kind of interesting in a very FF4-ish way. At the last chapter, the game gets fun. It's like I'm playing The After Years all over again.

Except the After Years did have some fun chapters. I really loved Yang's tale, aside from the drat forest maze, because you went around as badass monks beating the crap out of everything with your bare hands. And Kain's was good. But if we take the After Years comparison even further, then the game is going to start being crappy again a few hours later.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
gently caress MATRIX SOFTWARE'S IDEA OF RANDOM ENCOUNTERS. I've either been blessed or very fortunate in that all of my grinding have been because I personally decided to grind for AP, and not because the game forces you to. But the Mysidia Cavern is bending my party over and screwing it in front of an open window in a skyscraper in Los Angeles. I have actually been forced to switch out my normal Jobs for my bossing Jobs because ever encounter here feels like a mini boss fight. And sometimes I still die. I hate status effects.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

Barudak posted:

I would not grind AP there. Additionally, there is a save point half-way down the cavern and if I remember correctly the encounter tables change halfway down and the status effect inflicting enemies aren't in the second set. Don't bother grinding AP until you get the airship and can beat the tar out of cactuars.

No, no, you misread. I've already done all my AP grinding in Chapter 3. The game, up until this point, has never had a point where I felt underleveled. Until this point.

Anyway, I have to hand it to the guy/guys who illustrated the character portraits and some of the other pictures, they look very good and suit this game far better than they did in The After Years (I think it's the same guy who made the chapter pictures for The After Years, the style is very similar). I particularly like Aigis', Glaive's, and Dusk's portraits, but then again, I like those characters anyway.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Oh. So...that's how you're going to handle all eight main characters still being relevant to the plot. Well poo poo, if I'm going to have to put up with Alba in cutscenes anyway, then I may as well switch my main party up. Sol, you're back in. Sorry Glaive, I like you more but Sol has more utility to bring to the table.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I really, really miss world maps, it's true. It just feels like even though it isn't so, the game is so open world. A positive quality of FFD. One of few.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

SSNeoman posted:

What's the preferred way to farm Super Cactuars in FFD? My ninja just did a double 0 with Aim and he has like 270 ATK.
And my Memorist is now the first person in my party to officially hit for 9999 damage with Valiant Blow.
Memorist is actually hella fun. Get Moogle Band, go on a short scavenger hunt, watch some optional cutscenes, enjoy triple digits in base stats.

I did it on a Ninja with Phantom Rush. Phantom Rush WILL kill them in one go, especially with your attack, but it's very random whether or not you can fire one off without it fleeing without a Hermes Sandal on.

After copious amounts of grinding today (from around 8 in the morning to around 2 in the afternoon) I just finished the story about 10 minutes ago and got all the Jobs mastered on Aigis, my Light Warrior bro bro. Memorist is in fact hella fun.

That said, gently caress Final Fantasy: Dimensions. I was going to give it a 7/10, but after thinking about it some more, it's a 6/10. Spoilers ahoy.

Aigis, Glaive, Sarah, Nacht, and Dusk were awesome. Diana was decent, Sol was tolerable, Alba was not. I hate Alba, and I hate the implication that she got together with Glaive at the end for no real reason. And why the hell was everybody alive at the end except former elf king, bro Elgo, and bro bro Vata? Literally everybody you don't see die that was your ally at some point (loving Cid, why the hell is he not locked up, at least?) turns out to have survived, SOMEHOW. It's not even possible for Matoya to have found Jinnai before he died, and Gawain being alive is just a straight jerking the chain.

And why is Sol, presumably, with Diana? Why did that relationship even go anywhere? He wasn't even with her for more than half the drat game! Sarah and him had far more interaction and, in the end, were more compatible. I would have been fine with Glaive not winding up with anybody, but not like this...not like this. Being Glaive is true suffering.

But I liked how in the end Nacht goes wandering the world looking to rebuild Falgabard. I was kind of hoping that Graham would pass on after the end, but I guess not. And I liked how both Glaive and Aigis get nice cushy jobs being badasses. Dusk being the next leader of Mysidia just made sense, but why is Diana "Oracle of the Crystals"? Her whole spiritual connection with the crystals thing came completely out of nowhere once Chapter 4 started.

And gently caress this game and random encounters. You could argue that this is a long running problem with all FF's, but the games made by Matrix Software in particular are encounter dependent as hell. The Moogle Charm was the best item in the game if only because it got rid of random encounters.

The story ranged from good to stupid/bad. I really do not like how things only became really interesting IN THE LAST CHAPTER OF THE GAME. I know making a storyline for a game must be difficult, but you could have tried! This game was almost carried by it's Job system, which I must say is pretty good. Not as great as FF5 and Tactics, but at least comparable to FFTA and FF3.

In the end, I walked into this thinking it might be FF5, walked out wishing it could have been more FF6 and the actual experience was just FF4. Not even FF4, more like After Years. For all the time spent on the game, I don't feel that I wasted my money, but I still don't quite feel 100% satisfied.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Eh, I'll say that the story does improve, for certain definitions of improve. I thought it improved, but it's still Final Fantasy: Dimensions, so...

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
The worst Final Fantasy is all of them.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I don't understand the ability system of FF5 even after playing it about 8 times now. I know what abilities to assign to what characters, but not why. Like, what abilities increase what stats? I know Equip Axes gives that character the base strength of a Berserker, and the same for Barehanded, but I don't really know the rest.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Oh wow, I feel like a dumbass now. I only used that FAQ for Omega and Shinryu's patterns, I had no idea it also contained Job and equipment info. Thanks.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Agreed with SSNeoman, the new remakes of the old FF games and FFD with the option to Auto battles is fantastic, and better than FF13's way of automating things, because I still feel engaged if the enemy suddenly starts murdering my rear end I have the choice to switch up what the Autoer does manually rather than have the AI do the automatic calculations. I just hate FF13 in general.

Every Final Fantasy, hell, maybe every RPG should have some kind of Auto system where it records your last manual action and does it over and over, but not completely like FF13 does (I know you have the option to manually pick your commands BUT WHY THE gently caress WOULD YOU DO THAT).

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
As somebody who went through all of FFXII without using Gambits because I didn't understand how to make them effective, it wasn't so bad. It was like playing a Final Fantasy.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TFT3K7wyb4

Look at this smug dude. He so smug

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Considering I have loved everything I've heard Sakaguchi directed, would it be too much to just ask if Square could beg him to come back to save their flagship game series? It could even be like that Making of Revengeance video where Kojima's employee's grovel before the camera and admit to their failure and how Platinum saved the game.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

Pringles_School posted:

Eh, nobody knows exactly. He didn't take it well though that Sakaguchi left/the entire trouble around it. Sakaguchi was the reason he was there in the first place.

"I MADE IVALICE FOR YOU. FOR YOU. We were going to bring balance to Final Fantasy, not leave it in darkness!"

And then Vaan and Penelo were made.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
The Horrible Secret of Animal Crossing Final Fantasy XIII.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Final Fantasy: Every character is the worst in the series. Except Balthier. And T.G. Cid. I would have said Cids in general, but FFD is a thing.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Kung Fu Jesus, you're right, Eggman's voice would be perfect for voicing Steiner.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Kain will always get the shaft in anything and everything. It's pretty much the reason I like him, oddly enough. Guy doesn't get the girl, doesn't get the world saving, in fact, brought the world closer to destruction, but he's doing his best to try to make up for it. He just fails at that too three times (more if you count After Years, but I sure loving don't).

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I'm going to be so happy when FF15 comes out so you all have something else to ceaselessly argue about. Geez people, it's a bad game, it has a lot of bad things in it, accept it, move on. You seriously can't say anything about FF14 or the various spin off games Square has made since, like Duodecim or Dimensions or other poo poo?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I want a game set in Ivalice where you play as the Occuria and you're creating the world along with your Occuria bros but you have to use the correct debate and iambic quadrupleseptameter word choices and speeches to make stuff and get your bros to agree on something so together you can create it.

Basically Ambition by Michael Gibson.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I can understand why people would think that FF15 will share the same setting as FF13, because it was originally a spinoff, but now that it's a main game don't you think they'll be different mythos? There's that whole thing about every Final Fantasy main game being a different world from the rest, aside from the usual connections (Gilgamesh, Summons, Gil, Moogles, Jobs, etc.).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
It seems to me you've lived your life like a candle in the wind. That is to say, every Cid has been an inventor of some sort, and every Etro action shown so far is a giant stupid action.