Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Most Final Fantasy's writing/translation/characterization is so loving atrocious that being unintentionally hilarious is its only saving grace. Most attempts at being whacky and humorous usually turn kinda sad and confusing... see the entirety of FF X-2. There's plenty story bits to love, but it's not... good.

Speaking of not good: cutscenes in the FF-X HD remake aren't skippable? Well, too bad, Squeenix. You're not getting my money now. This is bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

morallyobjected posted:

I'm one of those people who never had a problem with IX's battle speed. If anything, of the three mainline games on the PSX, the battle system is my favourite. :shrug:

I love FF IX to death, but I could never warm up to the battle system. It's not even the speed. It just feels profoundly weird to me: whenever you enter a command, you never quite know when it's gonna happen. Sometimes, enemies and the party just seem to stare at each other, as if both aren't quite sure what to do next. It feels incredibly stilted to me. Not to mention the countless little annoyances, like how you can't control exactly when Trances will trigger, how stealing is incredibly tedious, and how... get this... Zidane, after casting his "Always Escape" thingie, slowly reverts to his default animation before running away with his teammates, who have been running in place for half a minute.

You can't believe how that last one annoyed me.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

So, I finally caved in and got this, even though I hate not being able to skip cutscenes. Go me. Whoooo.

Still, I'm going for Platinum. Can anybody tell me how exactly resetting the blitzball league works? I know you can do that until the reward you want shows up for the next tourney; does it reset all blitzball player stats in the world, or only those of my team?
Because I dread having to go up against the Al Bhed Psyches at an increasingly higher level than me...

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Okay, this is slowly driving me insane.

In Bevelle temple, at the very end, you get an HP Sphere (which seems to be one of the required treasures for Anima). Afterwards, you can warp the altar there and insert a Bevelle Sphere in the wall, so that the walkway to the left activates. There's a treasure chest at the end! All you have to do is push the altar on the walkway to move there...

...only I keep sliding of the loving altar. The overworld controls of FF X are objectively horrible (yes, you know it's true), but this is beyond ridiculous. No matter how much I line up, or if I run or walk, I just cannot for the life of me push that goddamn altar to the left!

Eventually I proceeded ignoring that chest, but I'm honestly amazed how lovely that turned out. Anybody else got that problem? Is there ANY way of NOT sliding off? Because in all FAQs I checked, everybody just seems to assume you can push that altar fine...

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

CrusherEAGLE posted:

You forgot to grab a bevelle sphere and stick it in the altar. I had the same problem, the thing won't slide unless you remember to get a sphere from before and stick it in there.

Goddammit. I used the only sphere in the altar to unlock the walkway... I think you can't even return at that point to fetch another sphere, since you can't push the altar down the stairs. Yet another bullet point on the huge list of things awful about Bevelle temple. At least it's not required for anything...

Well, good thing it's only a stupid Knight Lance in there. I'm not reloading a save, sitting through a boss fight + a annoying enemy gauntlet + a fuckton of cutscenes + almost the entirety of Bevelle temple just to get that thing.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Is my memory playing tricks on me, or did they actually give Sin in FF X a new move? Every once in a while, when fighting the arms or the core, Sin counters with Negation, which removes all my buffs and cures him of everything. It's annoying as hell to re-apply all the Break stuff, because he seriously does that move every third turn of my guys.

Still kicked his rear end, sure, since it's FF X, but that kinda took me by surprise...

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Hahahahaaaaaa. :shepicide: I removed all not-max nodes from the sphere grid, replaced them with optimal ones and completed it with every character. Even the Luck spheres. Yes. I killed Earth Eater that often. I've probably performed Wakka's Attack Reel somewhere close to a thousand times by now. (Speaking of that, I spent 90% of all my blitzball games firmly lodged behind the goal. Turns out the game bugs out as well when you go to the very top and the very bottom of the field, not just behind the goal...)

And yet, I still couldn't be assed to do the lightning dodging.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Okay, that's it, I'm giving up. Originally, I wanted to get the "Fill the entire sphere grid" trophy with HP Spheres, so that I could have 99.999 hp.

Turns out, that'd be over 300 HP Spheres, so roundabout >150 Ironclad fights, not counting those where he drops Dark Matter instead. The fastest Ironcload method I ever got was Frag Grenade -> Attack Reels -> Entrust to Wakka -> Attack Reels again, and then killing a Dingo to fill up Overdrive again. It was maddening. I didn't get even half as annoyed at fighting Earth Eater so many times. SO. MANY. TIMES.

So gently caress it, I'll stay at 9.999 hp. I filled the sphere grid with Magic Defense now. That fucker only takes two normal hits, AND I make a ton of money. Looking forward to fighting Penance now. :shepicide:

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

There we goooooo, got the trophy for completing the sphere grid. Only with 9.999 hp for everyone, but at least 255 luck. Pretty much every super boss instantly kills me with every attack unless I stack defensive spells, and even then some just murder me - for example, every single group attack that Nemesis has. But with generous use of Auto-Life and Rikku's overdrive, I got through that fight. It's not always easy to recover from having your entire party revived via Auto-Life, but so far, it's worked against all the Dark Ae-

...what the gently caress

Did the Magus Sister's overdrive just murder my meat shield aeon normally despite having overdrive, wait until my party returns, THEN use the overdrive, which IGNORES Auto-Life, giving me a Game Over instantly?

gently caress you, Magus Sisters, I'm killing each and every one of you seperately now. t:mad:

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

moosecow333 posted:

After I beat the game I thought about doing the endgame for a bit, read some of the things I would have to fight, and then immediately shut off my Playstation.

I can understand why some people would be interested in it, but its such a slog I can't even begin to comprehend it.

There is nothing to comprehend. You just want another shiny Platinum trophy, no big deal, I got Nier's trophy as well, what of it? And there you are, shooting twelve spikey blitzballs into a giant monster's rear end for the 200th time, and for a brief moment of clarity, you laugh and cry at the same time, before you're moving anime people over a grid again and then it's back to spikey blitzball rear end tornado and :shepicide:

Defeated the Magus Sisters now. They're completely helpless without their Delta Attack, since they can never kill more than one character at once. Only Yojimbo, Anima and Bahamut remain...

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Aaaaawwww yeah. It was tedious as poo poo, but I finally dodged 200 lightning bolts in a row in FF X. Congratulations, Lulu! You've got your Celestial Weapon now! Too bad no one ever loving used you in battle past that sphere-amoeba thing. Go pull your retarded one-liners and slow-rear end casting animations somewhere else.

All that remains now is Penance. I'm all set up. Once I've got an hour or two to spare, I'll take that fucker on and enjoy what will doubtlessly be an underwhelming reward. Can an ultimately meaningless Platinum trophy fill the raging void that FF X has left in my heart? Probably not! :dance:

Really, though - I couldn't help but notice how badly this game has aged. I's a pretty lazy HD remake, all given, and I hesitate to call it a remake at all. Several characters actually look worse in HD (Tidus and Yuna look strangely stone-faced), the controls are extremely wonky especially with a moving camera, the battle system feels somehow even slower, and pretty much every single minigame is hot, steaming poo poo. Every single one is determined by your patience with the clunky, camera-hating controls and bad collision hitboxes. Maybe Blitzball gets better at higher levels - I pretty much never want to find out. For all of low-level play, AI was embarrassingly bad. The goal glitch is a godsend. Also, Yuna has such a terrible VA compared to every other main character... Yes, even Seymour. (Who is hilariously unimportant, all things considered...)

Still - much more fun than I feared it would be, given how many of my other childhood favorites turned out...

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Dross posted:

I've been noticing this too, her lines sound awfully stilted, like they recorded her reading them out loud having never seen them before.

It's not even just that. They reused several lines in different contexts, I believe, which is why you always get the same hasty "Yes" in every situation. But worst of all - Yuna just doesn't sound convincing. We're being told over and over how she's got such resolve, how she's got a will stronger than Gagazet, how she keeps doing the journey out of sheer conviction and love for Spira... But she sounds like a meek, naive girl who is constantly ordered around by every single person she meets. Like, she loving ASKS Auron if Rikku can join. She is bossed around constantly. She doesn't sound like some kind person with a tremendous force of will, she sounds like someone too weak-willed to not do the same thing as her father, which is loving ridiculous when it involves suicide. Like someone constantly intimidated by rocks and squirrels or some poo poo. This is due to her lovely lines as well, I suppose.

Quite a shame, really, 'cause she does some badass things during the game.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Actually playing FFX HD made me realize I like FFX way, way more than I thought I did. Honestly the game aged very well, as long as you ignore the terrible minigames and don't try to go for a Platinum. Bit too exhausted to jump straight into FFX-2 though.

It might not be that obvious from my posts, given how I spent 90% of it bitching about awful minigames and the soul-eroding task that is Platinum, but I still like this game. It's got surprisingly good charactes, the battle system is really fun whenever it's not "use this character to instantly eliminate the challenge", and the music's nice (no comment on HD remake there - I played with sound off all the time, because I loving HATE HATE HATE the battle theme).

I don't think it's aged well, though. If anything, the HD remake makes it more obvious how stilted the animation was. And, again, the controls are horrible even on the overworld - the only time where they work as expected is the battle screen, which is where it matters most thankfully, and even then there is noticable lag. And the Closter Trials are... ugh. Bevelle. Just Bevelle. I can ignore all those flaws because I appreciate the game's strong points (especially how non-static the battle field feels, with everyone running around and whatnot), but the remake made me, again, painfully aware that those flaws exist.

Anyway, I beat Penance. And then I watched a 10min+ video bridging the game to FF X-2 to earn the final trophy before actually finishing the game. I didn't even notice the Platinum trophy pop up, because I overkilled Ju Yevon and went to get a loving drink. I returned in time to see the most epic high-five of the game. This is it. This is closure. Rest in peace, childhood me, who did not have the patience to farm Ironclad, and who did not go "gently caress that noise" and just farmed a less tedious boss instead.

And I'm not gonna touch FF X-2. I won't believe your lies, FF X-2 fans. :colbert:

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

CODE WHITE.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

McDragon posted:

Also also I still don't get the point of Via Purifico. If it's meant to be a way of execution, why is there an exit? Bevelle is dumb.

I love how incredibly dumb some parts of FF X are. It's really just details that don't matter, but seriously - it shows where the scenario writers paid attention and where they didn't...

- The mystery of drown ball - yes, people hold their breath for +10 minutes with heavy physical activity, deal with it.
- The two equally stupid execution methods of Bevelle - of course, only people that can actually swim get thrown to the water monster! Their execution methods suck so bad, even they know they gotta place kill squads on the exits to kill anybody.
- The million and one abilities of Sin - it basically invents new abilities every time it's on screen.
- The dangerous Yevon trials - Okay, I can see Yuna being in danger, since she'd probably hurt herself on a door knob or something, but how are these things dangerous again...?
- The WHOLE STUPID JOURNEY - Soooo, why the pilgrimage? So that a geezer's ghost can nod his head and get out of the way? What exactly does the pilgrimage DO, besides collecting summonable meat walls? They never say HOW it is a requirement for the Final Aeon, only that it is...
- Cid is pretty stupid - Okay, the Al Bhed's big plan of kidnapping people is... weird. Especially how Rikku abandons it immediately after trying to kill the party. And why exactly did the blitzball team demand that Wakka throws the game, when they were actually after Yuna? Did they just go "Yeah, while we're at it"? Weird.

I bet there's an explanation for every little thing that seems off, but man, you have to dig for them.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Madmarker posted:

And we know that traditionally, Summoner's have guardians when they take on the pilgrimage. The pilgrimage is designed to force that close emotional connection between a summoner and guardian so that once they meet Yunalesca, the guardian is a suitable sacrifice to become the Final Aeon.

Man, that part bothered me as well. The party waltzes into Yunalesca's places, going "Where's my super aeon" :saddowns: (well, Auron's :smuggo: , that smug awesome fuckhead), and Yunalesca spends the next ten minutes or so telling them how they've all been deceived, it's all a sham, but it's okay petty mortals because hope. She's making GBS threads on them as if she doesn't actually WANT them to go through with it. So, naturally, the party goes "gently caress that nope", and instead of shrugging and going back to doing whatever an immortal zombie medusa stripper does, Yunalesca tries to kill them. Like, WHY? To prevent them from spreading the terrible secret that Sin is eternal... which she didn't even have to tell anyone? Nope, it's just some dumb JRPG reason, because hope despair bla bla blargh.

The entire scene would've worked much better when the party decides against sacrificing a guardian without knowing about Sin's return. Yunalesca tells them that they might defeat Sin this time, Auron goes "Nope I secretly knew all about your bullshit :smuggo:", Yunalesca gets pissed the mortals know what's up (saying it's better her way or something), boss battle time.
As a bonus, Auron drags the entire party into killing a demigod because that's just how he rolls. But, nope.

Also gently caress you, SE, for putting a huge-rear end cutscene before a boss with an unannounced one-hit party kill move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Hell, having the Al Behd capture you then, thus giving a clear link from Macalania to Bikanel, would fix that plot hole completely. Also, the Guado not only find Home instantly, but destroy it completely in the...what, few hours, tops, you were out in the desert? How would they even know where to look?

Because SE wanted a cool "mechanical city under attack" setpiece. :haw:

I actually really liked how you're on the bottom of the ice lake, and suddenly, there's Sin chilling out. Of course, the transition to Bikanel makes zero sense, but it's a neat scene. The way that Sin is gradually revealed is really well-done, actually. At first, it's just a floating water sphere that barely reveals the creature inside. Then, it's a giant fin. Then, it's the whole thing submerged in water, from above. THEN, Sin's first front appearance, but he's all covered in goo and special effects (seriously, the SFX guys went NUTS there). Afterwards, the first time Sin isn't attacking, and you actually get a first glance at how that thing might look in the whole. Then, face-to-face with Sin - you still can't see all of it, but boy is it a huge space doom whale. And FINALLY, Sin hovering in the air in all his glory - the camera even zooms around him just to show you how alien and awe-inspiring that creature is.

And then he gets freaky insect wings.

Sin's powers don't make a lot of sense, but I love how the game keeps revealing further parts of Sin! It's really one of the strongest concepts of the entire game, if you ask me.