Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Endorph posted:

there's a ___ is dead theory for loving everything.

But how many of them have their own website?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Kyrosiris posted:

FFXIV is getting a hell of a lot of mileage out of the dreadnaught model from FFXIII. :v:

They said games previous to x-2; of course you can't treat reused assets as a special thing after all of 13.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

TommyGun85 posted:

whats so terrible about it?

It's most known for the terrible anime fanservice (IIRC the steam preorder bonus was a bodypillow). I'm sure the gameplay is bad too because otherwise it would have at least some fans.

mycot fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Nov 14, 2014

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Uh, Finn from Adventure Time? (There are even Adventure Time games!)

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

TommyGun85 posted:

if you are old and optimistic then youre an rear end in a top hat.

Maybe you shouldn't be proving his point.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Come to think of it, this might be part of the reason why Ezio from Assassin's Creed was so wildly popular. Compared to pretty much every other player character in the scene (including other AC games) he didn't get "THIS CHARACTER FEELS BAD AND DOES BAD THINGS" hammered as much.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I recall the protags from borderlands and sequels being pretty zany / cheerful.
Yeah, and it's actually pretty nice. They all know they must be "bad people" since their lives revolve killing, but they're content about it, you know?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

ImpAtom posted:

Borderlands 2 basically makes the protagonists of the first game either shitheads or dead.

I like Brick and Mordecai. If anything they had more altruistic goals than in the first game. No comment on Lilith.

mycot fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Dec 3, 2014

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Facepalm Ranger posted:

I was thinking of playing it via psp. If the game is running from a memory card that should make the loading times quicker...right? I don't have access to purchase the DS version for two months.

According to the PSP thread that version of Chrono Trigger is also sluggish. I don't know if that's just a property from being the ps1 version or if it's a terrible port on top of that.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

TommyGun85 posted:

uhhh, I meant in the way people were disappointed in it for thinking it would be a sequel instead of loosely using the same mechanics or story even though they are still great games in their own right.

Dude the entire plot of Cross is a convoluted way of answering "what happened to Schala?"

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Doesn't' DQ sell gangbusters in Japan?

The context is overseas.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Schwartzcough posted:

But who is "God" in this mythology?

I assumed it was Bhunivelze (since he would be woken up when the gate is open), but I guess it could be Lindzei since he also hosed off apparently.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Dan Didio posted:

I'm sure it's a very succinct and precise description of that plot, but anytime I see a paragraph with the phrase 'fal'Cie' in it, I batter myself with a series of punches and other blunt striking manoeuvres.

That's why "god robot" is there.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

You heard it here first folks, the entire reason to own a vita is to be a toilet :smug:

Also I only ever played one of the PS2 era SaGa games and boy was it really bad. Did I just start on a bad one or is it just not for me.

There were 2 SaGa games released for the PS2 so there's a 50/50 chance it was the Bad One. There are people here that were considering LPing it and decided against it because they thought they couldn't make it interesting if they tried.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

ImpAtom posted:

The unfortunate truth is that action games are shown to have a higher impact among general audiences than turn-based RPGs. It's a mix of turn-based being 'boring' and 'complex' (even though FF is never particularly complex). I love turn-based games but their hayday is gone and never coming back.

At least there's always Pokemon.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
The point people are trying to make is that if the best part of a character is that you can ignore he exists, he might as well not.

vv But what can you say about Penelo?

mycot fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 27, 2014

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Jeez it's worse than I remembered. For some reason the only thing I remembered was the inexplicable skirt.

Edit: Hilariously, every single piece of concept art has the skirt. I guess it's a core part of the character.

mycot fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Dec 31, 2014

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Calaveron posted:

After playing Curtain Call I really wish they would revisit the Crystal Chronicles series. That game had the chillest, nicest, comfiest setting with the music and the real pretty environments and the different races just hanging out.

Yeah. Sometimes I get tempted to track down the Wii title despite the mediocre reviews simply because it's the only time the setting has been revisited in depth.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

ImpAtom posted:

Xenosaga wasn't really one game divided into episodes in the same way. The games did significant art style and gameplay changes between games and really played them more like traditional sequels.

.hack and stuff like Digital Devil Saga are a lot more like modern episodic releases.

Yeah Xenosaga isn't literally one game spread over three, just narratively.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

For some people bland is worse than a total train wreck. At least a train wreck can be interesting in its own way.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

ImpAtom posted:

The same way you fight an encrouching parallel universe, a literal diety or the concept of evolution?

Okay, the first one is Wild Arms 2, the second one is SMT plus a million other jrpgs, but I'm drawing a blank on the third.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

TommyGun85 posted:

why not just youtube the whole game

Well...you can. That's what the Let's Play forum is for.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Toxxupation posted:

Let's see:

Not Good, Bad, Dunno Never Played, Fantastic, Terrible, Who Cares, Never Heard Of

Final Fantasy: Rose-Colored Glasses

Or, as the thread title says, every game is the worst. They've always been the worst.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I think Ark-Sys used it for Guilty Gear Xrd too.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Sunning posted:

There's an amusing Final Fantasy Easter egg in the first episode of Life is Strange. The game was published by Square-Enix.

Sakaguchi would be proud.

I'm starting to see where the comparison to Twin Peaks comes from.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Kaubocks posted:

I've been playing a lot of Theatrhythm this weekend. It's putting me in a serious Final Fantasy mood. In the grand scheme of things I've played very few Final Fantasy games-- pretty much just 7, 10, and 10-2. I hear some of them are dated and some of them are just plain bad, but I really kinda want to just... play them all. From 1 to whatever the gently caress 13 is at, from start to finish. Likely skip 11 and 14 because I don't even remotely care about MMOs.

I've had a number of people tell me that 1-3 are objectively kinda trash these days with barely any story. Should I really just not bother with those and start at 4? I feel like that kinda defeats the purpose of exploring all the Final Fantasies I never played but if they're just kinda junky barebones "go here and kill this guy then go kill another guy" stories then I could probably live with skipping them.

To give you an idea of how dated 1-3 are: the final dungeon of 3 only has one save point. (And of course they didn't change this for the remake).

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I don't see what's wrong with wanting an illusion. I mean all of fiction is the illusion of something or the other because none of it is real.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

ImpAtom posted:

Well, it just begs the question of 'why play Final Fantasy?" It isn't and never will be anything but the thinnest illusion over a heavily linear plot-driven RPG and that is generally what has brought the franchise success.

But if you go into that line of questioning then it becomes "why play video games". Because some arbitrary combination of qualities make them enjoyable, and sometimes a slightly different combination just sets people off.

Edit: To tie this back into Final Fantasy I think 13 also had the misfortune of coming out when this period of people becoming really enamored with "non linearity" or "choices" in games started. People might not have noticed if it didn't seem so dated.

mycot fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Feb 3, 2015

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

ImpAtom posted:

That's a little disingenious. FFXV's reveal got a pretty big explosion too. This is the first time P5 has been meaningfully shown so it's pretty understandable people would be talking about it more than a minor trailer.

Yeah people talked about Boy Band Road Trip a lot. The Persona trailer literally came out a few hours ago.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Yeah everybody knows all of the rendering went into Garnet's butt.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm just amazed that people still make arcade games.

Every fighting game from Guilty Gear Xrd to the freaking' Pokemon one has an arcade version; they never went extinct in Japan.

mycot fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Feb 14, 2015

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

victrix posted:

Surprised this thread isn't abuzz with new Dissidia talk: http://www.siliconera.com/2015/02/13/square-enix-announced-dissida-final-fantasy-aracdes/

Of course, arcade :eng99:

There's not a whole lot to talk about since, well, like you said arcade. And people already posted their "characters I want in Dissidia" lists 100 pages ago.

I'm still hoping for Sazh.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Kurtofan posted:

Speaking of Theatrythm, more songs are coming (in NA/EU for Feb 19) (two Nier songs!! and... one Live A Live song? never heard of that game)

It's the equivalent of two Japanese batches because the previous one was late for some reason:

BMS
Final Fantasy IX - Vamo’ alla Flamenco
Final Fantasy XIV - Nemesis
Final Fantasy V - The Dawn Warriors
Seiken Densetsu 3 - Swivel
SaGa Frontier 2 - Miβgestalt
Chrono Trigger - Frog’s Theme
Live A Live - Megalomania
Romancing SaGa - The Conflict
Romancing SaGa 2 - The Ultimate Confrontation

FMS
NieR Gestalt/RepliCant - Kainé/Salvation
NieR Gestalt/RepliCant - Song of the Ancients/Devola
Legend of Mana - Echoes of the Spiral

These should be right, they're not from me but from someone's translation. edit: the songs' names I mean.

I knew they couldn't be adding Nier music without including Song of the Ancients.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

InfinityComplex posted:

And that's a bad thing?

No, I meant it as relieved.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Help Im Alive posted:

this motherfucker

"Aw, gently caress you, Germany."

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Volt Catfish posted:

What the gently caress is Final Fantasy Mystic Quest

Edit: Wait I think I got it mixed up.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Endorph posted:

you have a metal gear solid avatar

This 15 minute death speech about my sad childhood is ironic, I swear.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Srice posted:

*In an alternate universe where FF7 is released in 2015 instead of its original date*

What the gently caress why did my guy destroy a Mako Reactor? And what the gently caress is a Mako Reactor? AVALANCHE? What the hell is that? Ugh this game makes no sense!

Materia materia materia.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Pureauthor posted:

The plot of every FF is "there are bad guys and the heroes group up and beat up the bad guys."

FFXIII is especially bad because it manages to screw even that up.

It's more like "But there's a BIGGER and BADDER guy behind that bad guy".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Screw you, Adam Jensen had an awesome voice.