Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

VIII is the one game in the series I've just never been able to sit through. I've tried quite a number of times and have even gotten pretty far in some attempts but without fail I'll just lose steam and not be able to stand playing it anymore after awhile. I don't know what it is about the game but... blugh.

Then again my first FF game as a kid was IX so... yeah I was hella spoiled in that regard. Going from the best in the series to VIII is a giant gap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Vanille at least has character depth. Most of the cast of VIII barely have much going on. Selphie for instance is just kind of there to be a bubbly personality. That's pretty much it she has no real character dept or plot significance.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

The fact that Final Fantasy VIII is a real thing that exists is still such a surreal thought to me. Like... look at these completely accurate descriptions of plot and characters. How is this a real game?

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

The funny thing about Squall is that Dissidia wrote him far better than his original game and he gets about 1/4th the development and screen time in that game.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

The White Dragon posted:

"Lord Gustave, escape while you can! I'll hold them off here!"
"G, gimme a sec. Yo Narciss my nigga c'mere. Hey, who the gently caress is this?"
"I, uh"
"Guys, it's Johann. Super assassin? You recruited me in the super secret chapter you may or may not have unlocked? Ring any bells?"
"... No"
":("

...Based on this paraphrasing alone I am now intrigued to play this game.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

I'm extremely late to discovering cool things on the internet forgive me. :smith:

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Adel does what she wants and if she has to gently caress up time to do so, well that's just a price to pay.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Champion Vincent will have off against rising newcomer Squall. Tonight only on pay per view.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Free Space: The final boss theme will include ominous latin chanting.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

I love IX to pieces but some of those optional key items can just gently caress right off. I've never gotten the King of Jump Rope nor the Excalibur II and I doubt I ever will.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Now if only that romhack was for FFTA instead of FFT I would be much more interested. :smith:

You could already snap that game into a billion pieces normally, I'd love to see what fresh hell can occur in a randomized version.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Saints Row is what happens when RPG protagonists retire from adventuring.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

I thought it was generally accepted that none of the games are connected beyond the sequels and side-games?

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Baal posted:

Crisis Core was a really good loving game and I would probably replay it if I cared to play on my PSP again.

Some story parts were questionable, like the entire existence of Genesis entirely. Game was still really enjoyable though I agree and probably one of the most painful endings to game I've played.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Nah, the best way to enhance your Final Fantasy VII experience is to just name every single character Sephiroth.

The meaning of a good 80% of the game doesn't even change.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

The White Dragon posted:

"the planet's dyin hank"
"not my problem dale"

actually so does that make aeris ming or nancy

Aeris is clearly Bobby.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

I thought Knuckles was supposed to be like the last echidna or something.

No, Shade doesn't count because Sonic Chronicles was a non-canon fanfiction with OC inserts.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Bongo Bill posted:

Mine's Marche.

Marche is fun because you spend the entire game trying to destroy the world while also committing grand theft and mass murder. And he's still the hero of that story.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Countblanc posted:

the hero of ffta is montblanc

So central to the plot that you can kill him off and nobody ever comments. :smuggo:

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Well hot drat that looks fantastic. I may try to hold for 1.0 if it's coming relatively soon but this FFTA patch excites me in many ways. I never could get into FFTA2 like I could the first.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

RPG mode basically takes away the core fun gameplay of Dissidia, which is being a fast paced free run fighter.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

The Festival-Goer dressphere is generally not great.

But who cares I get to fling shoes at people for Flare profit and summon demonic elemental goldfish. Best dressphere.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

To this day I still don't understand what the hell is with that enemy or why it's there specifically. If memory serves me there was a similar killer house monster somewhere in IX.

Are killer houses a thing in Japan or something?

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Seems to be a common complaint with OCremix, it's one of those love it or hate it kinda things. I typically enjoy most stuff from the site but I know people who absolutely refuse to go there at all.

Different strokes for different folks I guess. I'm excited about the prospect of an FFIX album though, it is unabashedly my favorite of the series.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I don't understand the accessories that just say:

(some condition)
Effect: 2 Times

Like Near Opponent or whatever. What is the effect? idgi

There's 2 types of accessories.

Basic Accessories give you some kind of statistical advantage: damage, defense, etc.
Booster Accessories like what you just mentioned modify the amount of things you get from your basics. In example "While Airborne Effect: 1.5x" would give a 1.5x boost to your basic accessory benefits while you're in the air.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Golden Goat posted:

No idea why they decided that redone look was a good idea. Everything looks weirdly smoothed out.

It's literally just the version for cell phones and tablets being ported to PC.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

So you think you can ride that chocobo huh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEUOOgNzOv4

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Sure, they both grew up in their own adventures but they never interacted during those times. They probably worked up in their head all the things they would do or say when they finally met again but when you are staring that person face-to-face all that probably melts away pretty quickly with anxiety. What happens when that occurs is they just defaulted back to what was comfortable and what they knew. Which was to call dad a stupid bitch and son a whiny kid. I think they both understood underneath that they couldn't bring themselves to say what they really wanted. Tidus even says "Don't worry, I'll make it quick", implying he wanted to end Jecht's misery rather than just punch him in the balls for revenge.

Basically, the two of them were just really horrible at conveying emotions to each other and communicating and all the character growth in the world didn't help when they finally saw each other again in the moment.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

That's everyone's experience with Final Fantasy III. Regardless of version.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Tae posted:

You're right, we should just kill everyone and ourselves because hope is dumb, there's no point

We were all dumb when we were his age. Kids are just naturally dumb shits.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

I'm in the poor people club of "if it doesn't get a PC port I don't get to play it".

So yeah, a PC port would be great Square. I don't have high hopes for that though.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Candy corn is delicious so I'm not entirely sure what your point is.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

It's not racism, we Americans have earned every bit of ridicule through hard work and dedication to our ideals.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Talking about old people in Final Fantasy games and no mention of motherfucking Galuf from FFV? For shame.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Veib posted:

Apparently 3D graphics can't render old age since all the old men are in 16-bit games.

Also is Lulu seriously the oldest woman in the series at 22.

Nope. Matoya exists and nobody remembers her.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I have to question this. Physically yes, but mentally and emotionally I doubt it. I've seen more mature 8 year olds than the cast of that game.

You missed the memo about how the entire game is "militarizing children is bad and ruins their mental development".

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

epitasis posted:

does this mean i should finally start ff13 pc

quote:

Final Fantasy Megathread: Every game is the worst game in the series.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Dr Pepper posted:

Y'shtola's a Conjurer how does she know Collective Unconsciousness I call hax. :mad:

Nah it's the WHM holy soap bubble, Asylum.

The real question is how she's using WHM spells.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Baal posted:

Bullet Wallass

From what I remember of the game this is an entirely accurate translation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Yeah but XIII is still better than VIII.

YoshiOfYellow fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Nov 10, 2015