Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I'm fairly sure the Japanese version gave more insight into Ultimecia's motives and background too, through Edea at the speech she does in Galbadia in disk 1. In English, she just sounds like a generic crazy person who's doing it because she's evil.

Translations for Square games didn't really become good until around Final Fantasy 9, sadly and it was only because of the hell the translators went through for localizing Xenogears that it got changed.

I've been playing through VIII over the past week, and am almost to the end of disc 3, just finishing up side poo poo, and I'm still not very sure what Ultimecia's motives are. What Lunar Tear has to do with anything. Why or how exactly Rinoa and Squall fell in love (it went from Squall going from "Whatever" to "I've gotta save her no matter what!").

The translation thing does make a little more sense as to why he has friends, cause he's a total asshat until the mid of disc three. Especially to Quistis, he is such a dick to her at the beginning of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

One of the things I do like about Squall and his interaction with other characters is he'll have this long internal monologue where he just sort of stares in the distance and the other characters are like "Uh, we have no idea what you're thinking dude. You actually have to say stuff." And he just replies with "Whatever. It doesn't matter, let us just go and fight."

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

ManOfTheYear posted:

....whaaaattttt

loving online multiplayer? I have never ever even heard of this. For Christ's sake.

On the topic of VIII, should I replay it? Last time I touched it was when I was 14 or something, even though VII and IX are yearly replays for me. I know the gamepaly is pretty broen and the story is what it is, but are there any redeeming qualities?

I hadn't played it since it had first come out, but it's probably one of my favorite FF games except for maybe VI which I've played so much there's just nothing left there for me. Its broken gameplay is half the fun. Junctioning a hundred curaga to your hp at level 10 while you're still in the very early game and just destroying everything is satisfying. The story, though nonsensical at times, at least moves forward at a decent pace but I kind of wish they were a bit more direct in what I have to do. There were a few times I was just wondering around going "Ok, I have no idea what I'm supposed to do now." I also like all the side poo poo it has going on.

It's also not nearly as long as I thought it would be. I'm at 30 hours, and will probably finish it within the next 10 depending on how much AP i decide to grind out. Also haven't decided if I want to try and kill Omega and Ultima weapons since I'm currently at 31 (stupid Bahamut jumped me from 23 to 31 with his stupid dragons).

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

morallyobjected posted:

After watching Leovinus's last failed LP of it and how little he cared about leveling, I decided to just give no fucks about levels and just threw on Enc-None in the particularly annoying areas like the sewers or if I was item/draw hunting. it really doesn't matter. as long as you junction right, the game still isn't going to come close to catching you.

You lose out on a lot of ap that way. I found the best thing is to just wail on the enemy for a turn or two and then card them. That way you get the AP, no experience and you can refine the card into spells or whatever.

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm pretty sure Paine is Squall + Lulu. I certainly like her more than Squall, even if a lot of her subplot is optional. Then again, over half of X-2 is optional.

Maybe I should get X/X-2 HD for X-2 HD and the new Dresspheres. Oh and Last Mission.

Does the HD remaster still have the crazy requirements for some of the side missions in X-2?

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

fronz posted:

Like what? (I don't know of any actual gameplay changes other than the monster battling thing and the new dresspheres)

Stuff like not skipping any cutscenes, a certain conversation you can't skip at all, and I believe there were a few other very time sensitive things you had to do in order to finish certain side quests.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Am I supposed to know who NORG is when he's introduced in the game? Until that point I had thought Cid was the garden master.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Nihilarian posted:

I've mentioned this somewhere before - maybe in this very thread - but Squall is literally up to his tits in morons. The second most competent member of his team is Selphie, the nunchuck, trains and explosions girl who also happens to be literally the only party member besides Squall to accomplish something in the game besides "gently caress up" (Zell, Irvine and Quistis) or "get kidnapped" (you know who). His behavior in that light - added to the hosed up parts of his life (lost everyone he's ever loved, became a child soldier, etc) - is completely understandable. I think a lot of hate is because it's just one of the half explored plot threads in the tangled mess of plot that is FFVIII. Cloud's story is just told better, once you can get past the shoddy translation.

Selphie was pretty much in my party every chance she was able since she was the only one worth a drat. I know what Zell hosed up, and Irvine kind of hosed up the assassination mission but there wasn't much he could do about that. What did Quistis gently caress up? She was usually my number 3.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Barudak posted:

She's a terrible, terrible instructor and not a leader which in SeeD's weirdo military academy/mercenary highschool is kind of a big draw back for a person who is supposed to be both. Also while not entirely her fault she has difficulty processing what emotion she's actually feeling towards Squall which causes her to break numerous SeeD ethics violations which I'm assuming exist but they may have been written in the future and not yet made it back in time.

Haha, that had slipped my mind, since her getting fired was one of the few things that actually made sense, as when she was talking about it I was just like "You've got the hots for one of your students, no poo poo you're fired."

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Nihilarian posted:

Fair points.
Yup. For further evidence of her being a fuckup, please see the Assassination sequence in which she leaves her post in order to apologize to a pouty teenager.

Oh god that part. That part is just bewildering, and then she tells the other two to stay put so they can close the gate and what do they do? loving go after her.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

NikkolasKing posted:

I noticed on my last playthrough that, if you have Quistis in your party, you get a good deal of extra dialogue with her at certain times. For example, if you take her with you into space, or have her in your party when you revisit Edea's Orphanage after rescuing Rinoa from the Sorceress Memorial. I usually have Selphie in my party and she doesn't say poo poo But Quistis will talk a great deal witH Squall or about Squall at those moments and make her a bit more interesting.

My take on her going to apologize to Rinoa is that she felt bad about being jealous. Yes, on the surface it was about her yelling at Rinoa for being childish but I recall in those optional scenes with her she talks about being jealous of Rinoa and if you talk to her during the oprhanage bullshit, she says she had "given up" on Squall as soon as Rinoa came around. So I say she yelled at Rinoa because she felt Rinoa was competition. But she was self-aware enough to realize this and thus went to apologize.

Yeah, she has a lot to say, but I wasn't sure if some of it was just filler talk like other characters would say stuff too or if it was just unique to her since she was in my party as much as possible.

How Rude posted:

Selphie's the best character because 1. She never complains, unlike the rest of the characters. 2. "Blow it to smithereens with a rocket launcher!"

She's also the reason you're even able to fly the Ragnarok around once you get it.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Kalenn Istarion posted:

How do you get that to happen? I don't remember that at all.

What. The. gently caress.

I mean, I know there's a lot of poo poo you can skip but that's loving bananas.

I'm not sure, I might be reaching, but I think there was some mild sexual innuendo there.

The Seifer Odin thing happens way way later in the game, pretty much the very end of disc 3. And it is actually Seifer doing that, not Gilgamesh.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Terper posted:

Ar Tonelico 1 and 2 is 50% Anime Bullshit, 30% STUPID Anime Bullshit, and 20% genuinely interesting and good character development, as well as some cool songs. It's kinda frustrating.

I started playing the first cause of this thread and the RPG thread and I'm about four hours in. The crafting system and magic uh, diving, system seems like it could be really cool. There looks like there could be some exploiting there once I get off this stupid island.

The english va is terrible. Just plain terrible. And then the introduction of the diving system is so full of innuendo. It's not subtle at all, and it just keeps going with it, and suddenly the innuendo just stops and it's all serious again. Game is weird.

Also tired of fighting stupid regenerating healing people, so if this poo poo keeps going on I'm probably gonna just drop it.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

The cosmosphere seems like it's literally just "A man enters a woman and empowers her." That's it. Like the first dive is just the dude going "Ok I'm going in this spot" and then she goes "Oh thank you for going to that spot, now I can make this spell!"

There is absolutely nothing feminist about it. It is all pro guy, pro woman needs a guy, all the way.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

So I started playing Lightning Returns. How much of an issue is this time limit thing? Cause games with time limits? They can eat a dick. I just wanted to run around Final Fantasy world with different outfits killing crazy dudes, not worry about how many souls I can save in a set amount of time (reminds of me of valkyrie profile which also bugged me).

If it is a thing I think I may just return the game for some version of Ateleir.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Maybe I'll give it a bit more, I just don't like timed anything when it comes to games, but if it doesn't really matter I guess I can live with it. Really I just want to play dress up.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

Why would you return the game for another game which features a time limit? I mean the Atelier games have a way way harsher time limit than LR ever would.

I had no idea the Atelier games had time limits either. Why are these a thing?

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

There's a patch for it that gives it the snes sound and graphics so with that it's the go to version.

Edit: I'm not too sure on the rules for posting pages with roms especially since you can buy ff6 so I'm gonna err on the side of caution.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

His dad also has the ridiculous pants when you see him in flashbacks. I forget if he has the glove thing as well cause I was too distracted by those pants.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

W.T. Fits posted:

I recall reading somewhere (I think it was in the Dark Id's FFX LP) that the original concept for Tidus was that he was gonna be some kind of maintenance worker in Zanarkand before being swept off into Spira. That's why he's got those weird-rear end coveralls. I guess Nomura designed him with that in mind, and later on when they changed the script so that he was an underwater soccer/rugby superstar, they just didn't bother giving him a uniform that matched the rest of his team's because :effort:

Aw, that would've been cool to have him a maintenance dude. Then he could lament about how much better his father was at unclogging toilets and he could never master the Jecht Buffing Blast.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Firstborn posted:

So what you are saying is symmetry isn't cool. He's dressed like a literal clown.

I guess I can't talk about stupid outfits. This is my favorite FF character:

Everything about him.

I don't think he should count, cause he's like one of the the least unlikeable character out of 17 games. Honestly, I thought that whole game did characters rather well. No idea what the story was about, but I liked the characters in it.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Beef Waifu posted:

Basch's outfit isn't too bad. It's nowhere near as good as some of the other designs in that game *coughjudgemagistersvaynevenatbalthiercidcough*, but it's a pretty inoffensive design. I'd say some of the more ridiculous designs come from like 10 and that subject's been kind of beaten to death.

The judges straddled this fine line between 'badass awesome' and 'this is ridiculous' when you first see them, but then then they start talking and then they start fighting. And you realize they're just badasses and this is the armor that badasses wear in this game.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

NikkolasKing posted:

When it comes to ridiculous FFXII character designs, there can be only one.

Don't know who that is, but reverse img search brought up Dona and Bart from FFX which I'm currently playing through.

It's literally triple x all over. Chest, triple X. Crotch, triple x. Arm, triple x. The dude and his torso, triple x. I bet if we had a better angle on his arms, triple x.

edit: her chest is quadruple x. Hmmm.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Nihilarian posted:

They are a moron, they didn't mention the clown shoes.

They're also bedazzled by multi-colored clothing.

Also sora is wearing a one piece, so the belt has zero function.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

I couldn't even finish the Dark Ids LP of Drakengard 1. I'd hope upon hope that they improved upon it on the third one.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Kulkasha posted:

NIER is the The Wire of videogames. There will never be another action rpg as platonically perfect as NIER. And that's okay. I don't think the world is ready for another game like NIER.

I like Nier and all, but it has got some bullshit to it. Like lots and lots of bullshit that people seem to just gloss over cause the story is cool. I'm not talking about the random quests, but poo poo like the dungeons being just plain unfun, the last dungeon being a gently caress you to modern gaming, probably more, too tired to remember them right now. Pretty much the only thing the game has going for it is strong characters and writing, the gameplay though, bleh.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Aurain posted:

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=16969

Someone on this forum posted this at one point and it's been in my bookmarks ever since :allears:

I bought Curtain Call the other day. It's fun and good. I like it.
Some of the Ultimate tracks are hard as hell though.

This is amazing.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

alcharagia posted:

FF10 HD is pretty as hell, god drat

Yeah it is, I was rather impressed by quite a bit of the scenery and costumes.

However the expert sphere grid system is currently blowing up in my face as I've gotten further in the game. I have made some terrible choices.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I really enjoyed being able to use the expert grid for the first time in FFX HD. I managed to get some teleport spheres early too so I was able to do stuff like have Kimahri save up 30 levels, have him teleport to Yuna, and have him go 30 past where she was to learn Holy so Yuna could learn it through a White Magic Sphere.

I like that it actually rewarded looking at it a bit, especially when it came to Kimahri. He was constantly switching to new roles and at one point could use Rikku's abilities and Lulu's magic about as well as them but with way higher HP. Also popping Yuna into Lulu's grid once in a while makes Lulu completely useless, Yuna has a much higher magic attack stat.

I say it a lot but FFX HD reminded me how much I really liked FFX. I still need to start on X-2, I actually liked that a lot unlike most people who bought it on release and I'm excited to see the new stuff.

This is my first time really playing FFX (I played it when it first came and stopped at like the first time you play blitzball) so I don't really have any idea of what to do. I might have to mess around with teleport spheres, I think I have one or two.

Like right now I think Wakka is where Auron is supposed to be cause he is just a wrecking machine and is pretty much soloing content while I switch other characters in and out. Tidus is where I think Rikku should be, Rikku got steal and then curaga. Yuna is beyond useless and is just lost somewhere in the grid while I try to get her back to where she belongs. I think Lulu is the only one besides Wakka that isn't a total mess.

The boss of Mt. Gagazet is destroying me so I've been grinding sphere levels trying to try and get them back onto track. This is my punishment for being cocky, though I did think I'd get the airship before now and would be able to grind different locations when I wanted sooner. Didn't realize just how linear this game is.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Help Im Alive posted:

If you're stuck on a boss in FFX it might be good to know that you can probably make the fight super easy using Rikku's mix overdrive. I don't really remember the item combinations off hand but there are a couple that'll make all your attacks do 9999.

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Mix_(Final_Fantasy_X)

Ok, well this looks way more useful than my Grenade + Lightning Curtain that did gently caress all. Thank you, this will actually help out a lot.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Man, going through X and Dark Aeons are no joke. Also no warning. Just minding my business collecting enemies for the arena when I walk up to two women and then get ambushed by three bug ladies who proceed to one shot two of my party members and just in case I still had hope of pullng through the third lady casts some ridiculously long spell that does more damage than all three of my characters hp combined.

And not realizing what that was, while running through the desert I come across Dark Ifrit who one shots two characters a turn.

Why are these assholes in the game?

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

The GIG posted:

Because they are "challenging".

So do I get poo poo for killing them, like some super aeons or something?

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

alcharagia posted:

I am having a situation that is foreign to me. The situation is that I can't see a single reason to use Rikku over Kimahri basically ever because he's gone down her Sphere Grid already and her only advantage is 3 extra points of Agility at the moment

I have Rikku and Tidus in my main group. The two of them just steal from everything while Wakka one shots and captures the monsters.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

These stupid chests in these stupid Omega ruins and their stupid random chances to contain stupid mimics and messing up my stupid awesome reward is stupid.

Or I'm stupid for spending so long trying to do it, but ugh, 99 warp spheres would be the bees knees.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

So I finished X. If what I enjoyed was the weapon customization, progression customization and the ability to be op as heck, and lots of side quests, what's the best FF to go to next? I started X-2, but I'm a little burnt out on the locale, especially since I haven't had 3 years in between games.

And not 8, since I played that a few months ago. Or 6 I guess since I know that game by heart.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

How is the IZJS english patch coming along? From what I could tell by just doing a quick glance it seems like it has still got a ways to go.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Cake Attack posted:

isn't it done?

so looking a bit more at the page I found for it, it's at v.22, but the bug list shows only a handful. So I'm not really sure what to think since .22 is way further away from 1 than say .89 and if it was done it'd be at 1 or at least something like .99.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

I've actually beaten XII about 3 times. When it came out I was unemployed (but was getting awesome unemployment) and had no internet for a few months, so I just sat around playing games and drinking beer all day. I beat Disgaea 2, and Dragon Warrior 8 and played XII before and in between each. I have like zero interest in it unless it's that IZJS version.

Edit: I had kind of forgotten about xii until everyone started mentioning it and then I looked at the screenshots and it all came flooding back to me. Still if I can get a copy of IZJS then yeah, awesome.

Leper Residue fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Nov 18, 2014

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

I've been playing seven and my god, the main characters in this game are loving idiots. You get betrayed by two of your characters (I have no idea if vincent betrays you because I haven't gotten him) and they're just like "Eh ok fine guess we'll just go along with it." No, gently caress you, that rear end in a top hat just stole a key, this stupid person stole all my god damned materia. Kick them both to the curb.

Then, Shinra has a plan to destroy the meteor coming at the planet. The hero's plan? Steal the poo poo shinra needs to successfully accomplish this plan. Once you completely loving sabotage the plan and it fails horribly then go 'oh look Shinra's plan failed.' no it didn't you loving hosed the plan up. It could have worked but for some unknown reason (It's the knowledge of something or other!) you decided to actively help in the destruction of the world.

I would not be surprised that when I beat this game cloud just jumps on top of the meteor and starts laughing maniacally as it crashes into the planet.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

The White Dragon posted:

Unlike the kid, though, Granny doesn't actually upgrade her gil into an elixir. She just gets really depressed.

Pretty sure it's not even an elixir, but a turbo ether. Doesn't really matter either way cause I have way more ether and turbo ether than I do elixir. 7 seems to want you to go a while between save points, so you're given a ton of ether.

But also given a lot of save points so I don't think they knew what they wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

That's pretty funny, never considered that. In-game if you let Shinra keep the huge materia they fail anyway, but you still make good points.

Can you let them keep the materia? I was given the impression that you have to get the huge materia to progress the game.

The entire time I was wondering why I was doing it though. Like all cloud said was "we've gotta stop shinra" and there's no real reason why besides them being 'the enemy.'