Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

glod posted:

PSP: Contains everything from the GBA version with graphics that are even better than before. They are similar to the graphics from the PSP versions of FF1 and 2. The script is a bit different, and there are new cutscenes for certain parts of the story. It's also on the same UMD as FF4: The After Years, which is the sequel.
Most importantly, it contains a fast forward button, making battles with random trash enemies way less obnoxious. The PSP version's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Pablo Gigante posted:

I'm pretty sure the PSP version is identical to the GBA version besides graphics, meaning you can choose your party for the endgame and the new section of Mt. Ordeals and Lunar Ruins added in.
It also features a fast forward button which is really great for skipping through battles with trash enemies. Can't be mentioned enough, every port of a Final Fantasy game should have this.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Donnor posted:

Speaking of Final Fantasy games released as episodic content, is The After Years actually worth playing?
Not even slightly.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Just to offer a dissenting viewpoint: I thought 13-2 was worse in nearly every possible way, especially it's writing and balance. It's less linear than 13 but all this really means is it has 100+ fetch quests that have no compelling reason to complete outside of having higher numbers. Dungeons now branch but the branches are few and mostly inconsequential and the entire thing feels lazy from start to finish.

There are almost no new characters in its story, monster raising is more tedious than regular leveling, and half of its dungeons are palette swaps. Characters from the first game recur across the timeline so that Square didn't need to expend effort writing new ones.

A True Jar Jar Fan fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Sep 11, 2012

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Dross posted:

There was one shining part of XIII-2 in my opinion, and that is the Dying World. The atmosphere of that place was spot on.

This I agree with. I actually liked a lot of the art design towards the end. The final dungeon looked nice but was miserable to play. Loved getting stuck in a random encounter mid jump and having to redo the terrible platforming.

Also the enemies there were hard to kill and yet gave less CP than enemies halfway through the game that I could take out in literally 10 seconds.

A True Jar Jar Fan fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Sep 11, 2012

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I'm playing FF8 on my PSP for the first time since the game was new and it's stuttering like crazy in some parts of Disc 3. Was that always part of the game, or is it some funky behavior caused by the PSP? It's been too long since I've played the original version to recall, but it's pretty irritating. It played fine up until now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Do you have that emulation setting on where it's something like "Fast loading" or something along those lines? Try turning that off, same thing happened to me in FF9 in areas with a lot of CG.
Nope, but I had it on for a while when I replayed 7 and it caused weird things to happen like character portraits and text being all garbled after battle.