Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
Can someone link me to a list of Final Fantasy games in chronological order of release in North America?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
I'm playing thru the games in North American release order, just so I can take them in at the same pace I did back in the day. Just finished 7 for the first time, and I felt like the ending was a huge dissapointment.

I never beat the game as a kid, I used the save crystal in a bad spot and could not get back up from the final descent. I couldn't reasonably level, and didn't have enough consumables to beat the game, so I just quit. 20 years later, I ice sephiroth with cloud 4x striking, and a few ultimas and heals from cid and Vincent , and then... What?

It's somehow a lamer end sequence than 1, and that amounted to the roll out sounds and a winnar is u screen. Maybe I was spoiled by 6 ( my favorite ) and it's hour long epilogue, or maybe I just had 20 years of build up and nothing could really have satisified me after that :shrugguy:

I do like the Final Fantasy closing credits with the crystal song and the starry outro. I kind of disliked 7 in the day, just because of all the edgelords and the gamefaqs saying it was the best game of all time. I was wrong to hate on it, and it's a good game, but it's not better than 6. Any criticism of 6 could apply to 7, with the exception of the sprawling cast but even then by the the end of the game you are pushing double digits. If anything the characters in 7 are less important, as development occurs at the materia level.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
It may not be fair to complain about endings because in these games you often are fighting a god, but would every group of light warriors really be able to just revert back to whatever it is they were doing like their adventure barely took place?

Honestly I'm not even sure what I want out of an "ending" for a game. Most jrpgs tend to have bad endings, but if your journey is one of god killing and world saving, you either save the world and kill the god or you don't.

I guess the only other ending that really compares in dissapointment department is Battlestar Galactica. How the hell you gonna tell me they have a plan at the startof every episode for 6 years, and the pull out a "nah lol we made this poo poo up on the fly every week enjoy Earth ( 5 maybe ? How many Earth's did they reference to that point ) and Lil Wayne .

Maybe the issue is the scope of the games. If you have to save the world, what are you gonna do you gotta. Often these games start small and intend to keep you on a fairly straightforward goal, only to psyche, your quest to find ur dad is over, double psyche he dies 10 seconds after you find him and you have to kill several gods to avenge him.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
In fairness, 4000 years ago technology was barely more advanced than 12,000 years ago, and this weekend I talked to a 100 year old lady that didn't have indoor plumbing until the 1950s.

So I just wrapped up Final Fantasy Legend 1 and am nearing the end of 2. I know that 3 is a little more traditional jrpg, so are there any akitoshi kawazu style games I should be playing after FFL2? I love the "do stuff get better at that stuff" leveling mechanic and I feel like they were really about to iron out the kinks of that system with another game in that style. Oh well.