Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

They kinda did, it was on the PSP and it was called Dissidia. Not quite the same thing but you get to play as Sephiroth which I think is why people played Ehrgeiz to begin with

I played it for that sweet (terrible) rogue-a-like mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Well. I guess Type-0 HD isn't just a straight upscale port. :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVIc7L230bA

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tae posted:

Some news on Type-0 HD. It's being done by Hexadrive Studios who did Zone of the Enders collection HD, Okami HD, and helped with Zelda: Wind Waker HD. They also helped development in making Third Birthday, which used a lot of the same tools to make Type-0.

Type-0 will also launch with English and Japanese audio options. I don't know if they changed it last night, but FF13 will also have English/Japanese options for versions outside of Asia.

I assume by ZoE HD you mean they're the ones that cleaned up the port of 2nd Runner not the ones who originally worked on that shitpile. Okami HD is amazing and runs at something like 1440p which is then down sampled to 1080 and looks stunning.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

mateo360 posted:

Curtain Call brought to light one more reason for m,e to really not like 12. You have a full orchestra no matter where you go. Stormy mountain top: Full orchestra booming away. a clam field: Full orchestra plays on. I really don't need music that is so full of energy all the drat time.

I dunno, I love the FF XII soundtrack, trouble is Sakamoto just doesn't really know how to do quiet. I've never finished XII or XIII and Curtain Call reminding me how good the music in both of them was kind of makes me want to try again, though I'm holding out for an FF XII HD for the moment.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kurtofan posted:

Curtain call made me realize I don't like FF XII's music.

Beef Waifu posted:

FFXII made me realize that, dunno why you're so late to the party. For real though, 12's got one of the most boring soundtracks ever.;

You both have terrible taste in music, sorry.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Madmarker posted:

FF8 is awesome and I will fight anyone who says otherwise. :ssj:

The only good thing about FF8 is the intro, it's all downhill after that.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Leper Residue posted:

Am I supposed to know who NORG is when he's introduced in the game? Until that point I had thought Cid was the garden master.

Nah, it's yet another FF8 plot point completely out of left-field.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Raruna posted:

Nomura loves to ham it up, but personally, I hope that all his "burning anger" will seep into the story of KH3 and make it as dark as End of Evangelion. :getin:

Not gonna happen while Disney still has its name attached (no matter how marginalised that stuff may be by now) but that would rule.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You're showing them that putting out half baked no-effort ports is making them money all right.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Probably gonna have to tear up my JRPG credentials here but what game is this dude from?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cake Attack posted:

something you don't want to misspell googling

I laughed then felt a deep sadness that I knew what you meant.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

For ages I thought I just didn't understand what was going on in FF VIII, it's good to know that it really doesn't make any sense and it wasn't just me.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I played it like a regular Final Fantasy game as well. I used GFs over and over and over again because in previous games summons were the strongest attacks you could do. This was The Wrong Way.

Same, I also accidentally levelled myself to 100 grinding weapon components without realising it would take me a fraction of the time just breaking down cards, and wouldn't gently caress me over by making the game even more difficult.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Krad posted:

Good thing we're getting new Final Fantasies in 2015 to complain about!

I've already been told that Type-0 is the worst game in the series, so we're off to a good start.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No one cares about that stuff any more anyway, sorry.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sakurazuka posted:

No one cares about that stuff any more anyway, sorry.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Is there like an FF7 translation that actually tries to be a decent translation instead of sperging out over stupid poo poo or being borderline incomprehensible like the original?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

NikkolasKing posted:

I really don't understand why this forum has such a problem with FFVII's original translation. If it was half as incomprehensible as people say, I probably wouldn't have perfectly understood the plot and characters, but I kinda do. Cloud was a dork growing up who wanted to impress Tifa so he tried to become a super-badass but his mind wasn't up to the task so he got as a mook. Then he got expeimented on for five years, his brain got destroyed, and the magic alien cells in him glued the shattered fragments of his psyche together and made him think he was a badass.

And Sephiroth is the son of a couple crazy scientists who was exposed to magic alien cells while in the womb and later he lost his mind because he found out about some of this.

And Barret used to be a coal miner who put all his faith in Shinra only to have their stupid reactors destroy his town, drive his best friend insane, and then he swore revenge on them under the guise of protecting the Planet.

And I could go on.

These are all perfectly spelled out in the original translation.

There's a reason that 'serviceable' and 'good' do not mean the same thing.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm now super pumped for both FF XV and XC X, Japanese RPG developers embracing open world stuff is something I've wanted for years. Now if only they would let me make my own main character as well. :argh:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Motto posted:

You do make your own character in XCX.

That was just bumped up over FF XV then, especially if I don't have to be a dude.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah, the Expert Grid can totally gently caress you up if you don't know what you're doing and plan stuff out in advance (or do poo poo loads of grinding, I guess.)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

More interested in whether they're going to fix the alleged grinding problems with Type-0 than if it still has all the costumes in it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Momomo posted:

So I have never paid a whole lot of attention to project leads, what else has Tabata done? Because it really doesn't matter how well a job he does, he'll be better than Nomura by default as long as the game actually comes out.

He's worked on Type-0 (obviously), Crisis Core and 3rd Birthday :barf: also co-director on a couple of Kingdom Hearts things, I think.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

3rd Birthday counts as negative points though and I'm suddenly glad there aren't any female main characters in FF XV if he had any hand in both games stories.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Okay, but he must have at least read the story and gone 'yeah, this is okay', instead of tossing it out of a window like any sane person.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You can get Valefor's second overdrive without beating Dark Valefor but it involves walking all the way back to the starting village once you hit a particular plot point, but before the one that causes the Dark Aeons to trigger.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Varance posted:

They rebalanced Blitzball for the HD Remaster, so it's significantly harder than the original game in that you can't just put Wedge in goal and watch him catch everything. Also, they nerfed Wedge and buffed the other teams (specifically the Luca Goers) so that he has to be much higher level to be an effective steel wall over the goalposts/backfield.

That buff is also why the story match is a pain in the rear end now, if you don't spend the first half just passing the ball around to level up your team and stop the Goers from getting any levels.

They didn't do a very good job then because I think it took about two matches before I was steamrolling everyone 8 - 0, same as usual.

VVVV There are but those two and Tidus should carry you through pretty much anything. Recruit Wakka back in for a laugh!

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Nov 8, 2014

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Furthering my theory that people decide to hate or love a game usually based on one tiny element of it, and not the entire game as a whole. For example, I usually love games that give you non-lethal options.

My housemate does this, only with just the hate bit, and I find it absolutely infuriating.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

How Rude posted:

Is that Mega64 himself in the flesh?

...did they lose a bet or something?

That's like... what Mega64 got famous for doing, have you never watched their older videos? The one with the merchant from RE4 was the best.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Argarest War is ridiculously poo poo with the some of the most retarded and convoluted systems outside of a SaGa game, even if you love fanservice and dating waifu's and boy do I ever.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Attitude Indicator posted:

but seriously, it doesn't have as much customization as FFt but tactics are more important, having the highground, where to position your characters, which caracthere fights which enemy, different goals to winning a battle. it's good poo poo.

Vandal Hearts is great an probably the first SRPG I ever played, hardest part is dealing with there being no random battles so you have to work at your tactics and trying to make sure that people don't fall behind the levelling curve at the same time.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Evil Fluffy posted:

I thought Vandal Hearts had random battles, and that it was Vagrant Story that didn't?

Nope and Vagrant Story isn't an SRPG are you confusing it with Vanguard Bandits maybe? (lots of V words) That doesn't have random battles either though. :v:

Attitude Indicator posted:

no random battles in vandal hearts. there are like 6 extra battles or something, but they\re really hard to find without a guide.

Yeah, you need like 6 keys from certain maps and doing the six extra stages (which are pretty loving hard) unlocks the final overpowered class for the main character, though you only get to use it for like four or five stages by the time you get it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Also does the game ever stop "travelling through space"? Or does it just loop indefinitely?

I once sat through that for about 30 minutes hoping for an ending that doesn't suck, so either it goes on forever or longer than that.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Is it just me but does FFXV look just bland? None of it looks interesting in the sense of art direction. Possibly because it's very modern/contemporary and not fantastical enough.

I like what I've seen of the world but the main characters look kind of drab, I know they're going for a more 'realistic' look for them but that doesn't have to mean nothing but dark grey and black.
Also, I'm still fairly 'Eh' on the no female playable characters thing.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

NikkolasKing posted:

Funny you should mention Xenosaga, I think Episode II also had the audio compression thing going on for voice-acting and yet it was still on multiple disks.

Yeah, but Xenosaga games have more voiced cutscenes than they do gameplay.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ImpAtom posted:

The problem is largely that developers are so dead-set on making Serious Mature Games for Mature People that they end up making boring one-note overly-serious characters. This is also why 8 out of every 10 games now ends with your protagonist dying, usually in slow motion or some overly-symbolic way while sad music plays. Even the ones that don't end with you dying end with "but was it REALLY a victory?!" (often tied in with sequel baits.)

It's so rare to have an ending which is just "You won! Isn't it awesome? Check it out" short of something like Mario.

I just finished Sleeping Dogs for the first time and was surprised by just how 'oh yeah, everything's cool now, good job' the ending was given the tone of the rest of the game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dr Pepper posted:

This guide is amazing for how much this guy does not understand FFV.

Using jobs is a 'crutch', don't you see?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!?!?!?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Krad posted:

Where's XII? God damnit SE <:mad:>

XII would take effort since there isn't an already HD version they can just port straight across.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

General Morden posted:

Is the Blitzball bug, where you can just hide behind your own goal post after scoring once still a thing in the FFX HD Remaster?

Yup, still there. Though Blitzball is so incredibly easy I only started using it once I got bored of beating everyone 15 - 0.

How Rude posted:

If it's anything like I imagine Kingdom Hearts this sounds like torture.

Making an incredibly difficult and hard to understand boss that can kill you very quickly is not fun after 5 minutes of un-skippable cutscenes.

There's only like two hard bosses in the game though, not counting super tough optional bosses, which don't really have the cutscene problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

EmmyOk posted:

On my first playthrough I beat her first time. All my subsequent playthroughs I died at least one though, despite being a better player.

Haha, same here, beat her the first ever time when FFX first came out without realising she was considered hard, ended up having to check out a guide when I was doing the HD remaster this year. :suicide: Seymour at the top of Mt. Gagazet always slaps me around a couple of times though until I remember to save my overdrives for the last form.