Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

ApplesandOranges posted:

Too much choice can throw people off. When I first played Skyrim it was almost paralyzing because there was so much you could do - do main quests. Do lots of side quests. Gathering. Exploring. When it's too open, people that can't make snap decisions (that faction sounds better, or I prefer axes to maces because they swing faster) get frustrated.

There are lots of other reasons to me, but that's just some of them.

I've actually heard this a few times from my friends. I never understood it myself. I tell them that there is no wrong way to go and just try everything, but its like trying to get a homeless guy to invest $50,000. They just don't think that way. It's....odd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The White Dragon posted:

Yes, as my twelve-year-old self learned the hard way :shepface:

Same here....but I was 18... I think I had like a max of 40 spells junctioned. I would still cast them. And I would just throw what ever where ever with out thinking about it. The game started getting hard so I leveled up to try to make it easier. Never played the card game, never refined magic. I had to beat Ultimicia by letting her hit me with her big move and then throwing the ONE Holy War trial I had and hope that it worked. Then do nothing but spam Zell and Squall's limit breaks.

No idea why the hell I didn't get it the first time through, but what ever. Game kinda sucked anyways. Now 9. That was a game!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

:golfclap:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

So could any one spoil the plot of Lightning Returns for me? Or point me to a previous post with a run down? I need it to spoil some one in my fantasy football league...its a long stupid story.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Awesome! Thanks guys. I'll show this rear end in a top hat how a petulant man child reacts to being knocked out of the make believe playoffs! Says there's nothing I could ruin for him, but then says he's really looking forward to LR....thats a lot of bad decisions right there. I'll show him, I'll show them all.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Pureauthor posted:

Kuja blew up a planet and succeeded 100% in his schemes. It was only because Garland had hosed him over from the moment of his creation that his plans unravelled.

And he helped his immortal brother in the end. Not to mention Trance Kuja actually looks kinda bad rear end. Kuja was an awesome character ruined by his character design. Basically the opposite of Sephiroth.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Pureauthor posted:

Where the hell is my updated FFIX, SE.

An HD remake is all I would ever want. I would probably buy it twice just to thank them.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Some coked out dude from the 70s and 80s. The next week will be dedicated to people pretending he's been relevent since then.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Layers upon layers!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

AllisonByProxy posted:

All this recent talk about Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within made me remember that I still own an original film reel of the first trailer released for the movie.

Nabbed it from the movie theater I worked at around the time it came out. I saw that movie in the theater so many times...

Great trailer by the way! http://youtu.be/qUXVOfdGE4o

Those belong to the studio you spoony thief!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Jerry Steinfeld posted:

I've never played a Final Fantasy before, which one is the best? Where should I start?

The answer to both those questions is Lost Odyssey.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Nihilarian posted:

Wild Arms 3 is a good PS2 era RPG. And Radiata Stories.

Don't know if this was sarcastic or not, but I actually agree with the Radiata Stories part.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

They even made him trip and slowly get up for dramatic effect. It just really drove home that classic Japanese folk tale of the robot puppet heroically sacrificing itself to be crushed by a magically shrinking temple that also serves to call down the holy fires from the heavens. Just simple storytelling done right.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Kalenn Istarion posted:

E: seems they didn't find the coke after all. It's now at the sorting facility. I'm unreasonably excited for a new FF game to arrive.

9/10 times "further inspection" means they couldn't find it for awhile.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I would buy and wear these. Wish they were steel toed though.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Hope has a girl's name.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Clarste posted:

Japan has a lot of weird specialty "breads" that are more like sandwiches, or even pastries. They use the term broadly in a way that doesn't work in English.

I was gonna say. If the scene where everyone was waiting in line and the school ran out of "bread," I'd think the game was taking place in like siege era Stalingrad or something.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Wait wait wait. The FF7 remake is gonna come out in episodes?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Endorph posted:

what didn't happen: nomura kicked down takahashi's door in full squall cosplay and yelled 'WE'RE GONNA REFER TO YOUR BUDGET IN THE PAST TENSE' as he ripped thousand yen bills straight from his wallet, while laughing maniacally

This is beautiful.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Also 13 didn't have stores/towns/inns/interesting NPC characters. Its a poo poo show and hands down the worst of the series in my opinion. Its remains literally the only Final Fantasy I was not able to force myself to finish. And I one time finished FF3 DS because I was sick in bed for a couple days.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I don't get the "the story is confusing" angle that people take with 13. I was never confused, just bored. Bored and didn't care and hated all the characters. And didn't like the setting. And thought the battle system was interesting until I got a game over when my controlled character died, thus making the "life" spell completely useless except for healing the 1 character in your party of 3 that is able to die and be rezz'd. Ugh, that game was such trash. Ha, I was just about to type that it was the last FF I played, but since its the last one they released I guess that goes with out saying, huh?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I can't wait to play Advent Children the Game spread out over six $70 "episodes" and two decades.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

pichupal posted:

Sarah/Sara/Serah is the main recurring FF name right?

1, 3, 9 and 13 had one off the top of my head.

Who was it in 9? Drawing a blank here.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Only an independent review site/reviewer will rate it lower than an 8.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Indecisive posted:

The nes games are loving classics you heathen

So is a '91 Ford Mustang. That doesn't make it any less an ugly piece of poo poo.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Why is he holding only half of a Tron bike?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

That was the dumbest thing.

Edit:
The GF memory thing. Though spelling everything with Ks wasn't that cool either.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Finally Fantasy has awesome set pieces. Story and character wise it's a jumbled mess. If you like breaking battle systems over your knee then you'll love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I know the cat is a robot, but is the big white thing another robot or just an extension of the cat robot? I'm starting to believe they didn't think the design of this spybot all the way through.