Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

quote:

Yeah, FF4 tells a very simple story but tells it very, very well. It's just the way the characters interact, I assume; it's really basic, but at the same time, it does everything it needs to do without going overboard or embellishing the wrong places, and even though its conclusion is very predictable, truth told, predictable is predictable because it works in storytelling. I mean, thousands of loving years of literary tradition can't be wrong.

Going back a page here. I've always preferred FF4 because of that. The combat system was nothing to write home about the and the difficulty jumps all over the place but its just a really well made game. It has very simple themes and identifiable characters with an impressive scale for the whole setting. I also like the fact that they knew how to do an ending back then. It was this 20+ minute sequence that ends the journey and gives you some closure for each of the characters in a meaningful way. It was a great little game with fun things like airships, a trip to the moon and even had stupid twists like the dark crystals which ended up being a real shocker when you thought you had almost beat the game. I wish more games were made with that kind of care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

The White Dragon posted:

See the thing is there's all kinds of complex poo poo going on in these songs but it really isn't for video games. The human brain can process about four, five layers of music at once; this has eight or ten at least, and you're playing a video game so fat chance that you can even do the four or five you get when you're just listening to music without anything else going on in the back and way having too many layers for the brain to process actually can create a psychological effect where it becomes cacophanous. They might be successful pieces on their own, but for their purpose, they are abysmal failures.

I don't really agree that they are that complex and the themes seem to fit most of the visuals pretty well. FFXII has it's faults but the music is generally solid and neatly suits the various environments.

I worry that we'll never see another JRPG with the kind of world building in FFXII and that's a shame because it had some really interesting exploration elements more akin to western themed RPGs.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

ImpAtom posted:

I wanted to like FFXII so bad. If it had just had a combat system that wasn't abhorrent I would have loved it and been able to put up with all its other problems. I was so excited for the Zodiac Job System re-release but it didn't actually fix my fundamental problems, just addressed some of the more egregious errors. :smith:

I thought the combat was pretty well implemented, if a bit easy at times. The gambits were hosed because they made most of the ones you need obtainable towards the end of the game. I wish the combat speed in the vanilla US release was a little faster so that you weren't watching auto-attack so often but other than that it was pretty standard FF fare. What were your specific issues out of curiosity?

A friend of mine loathed the game because "I can't control anything, this is stupid!" and I've never really understood that beef with FFXII. If people want to obnoxiously control every single attack like the old games then they can simply turn off gambits and have at it. It's almost like people were offended at the idea of the gambit system more than anything else.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

ImpAtom posted:

I'm not arguing that other FF games had deep combat, just that FF's simple and shallow combat is a poor choice for automation unless you add another layer to focus on. All automation did for me in FFXII was lead to me watching fights play out without me. If I'm going to remove the need to pick attack or cast buffs or whatever then I should be focusing on something else, not putting the controller down and waiting for the fight to end.

Yeah, I don't agree with everything you said but you definitely make some fair points there about adding some complexity to make up for the automation. I think FFXII works best when you're underleveled for content as even the automation doesn't make up for the challenge and you're constantly tinkering or overriding things to go with the flow. I did the Gilgamesh fights at a very low level and it was probably one of the enjoyable and challenging boss fight in any FF game I've played. The fighting becomes rote when you have god equipment or are just facing little wolves in the desert though.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I think the only Final Fantasy game that I haven't seen people in this topic hate is 5.

I think it tends to get a pass for its goofy translation and likable characters. I never really took the game seriously but still had a good time just breaking it through crazy job combos and exploring the world.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

So that post is making me want to play FFXI, because I'm a huge FF fanboy and want to just see the story that I've heard is worth playing an MMO for. If I were to try to solo the game just to see storyline, and I don't plan to play regularly (maybe every couple of days for 3-4 hours), how many hours do you think that would take? Like 200? I'd be willing to sink that kind of time in if there were a way to pay by time spent on server rather than monthly, but maybe at like 100 hours I could try to sink the whole FFXI experience in in a three or four month go.

It's not worth the time. I loved the world in FFXI but the story stuff is easily viewed in other spots and the world building isn't worth the slog that the gameplay is. When people say its better they are comparing it to years ago, not modern games. Custom servers (if any exist) would be the games best hope, so you can speed up exp and all that.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ramagamma posted:

Paying £8 is better than loving about with emulator settings if you just wanna get your FF7 on like old times.

Err, it's not anywhere near the hassle you make it out to be. You can google emulator settings for the game in a few seconds and have it running in a few minutes tops. Actually locating your FF7 PSX discs (unless you archived a copy of it on a hard drive) probably takes longer.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Winks posted:

Really?

"The "Lightning Saga" that started with the release of FINAL FANTASY XIII, has achieved a cumulative shipment of over 9.6 million units; and in May 2012 FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 was brought to conclusion with the add-on content entitled "Lightning's Story: Requiem of the Goddess".

I'd be really interested in seeing a better breakdown on that data, using shipped figures alone always seems dubious to me.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Evil Fluffy posted:

I always seemed to have issues with this place on the NES version, but every playthrough I've done since my first has been:
Beat Lich
Get Canoe
Go to Ordeals
Go to Ice Cave
Get Canoe
Class Change

By the time I'm done I can go walk through the Volcano to kill Kary quick and easy.

e: I don't understand how TunnelArmr is that hard unless you're somehow level 10 or lower. Celes can just use Runic while Locke kills/potions as needed (but it will take awhile).

Yeah that's what I do too. The Ice Cave always blows with those shithead insta tentacle rape guys but it's worth doing to get the airship early.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Man I miss Secret of Mana, I gotta get my brother to play that with me when he gets back in town, just like the good ol' days. He gets the midget!

Did Square ever do anything more with the series? I remember Seiken Densetsu 3 was pretty bad rear end but stopped keeping up after that.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Dross posted:

IIRC it's advantageous to have the Sprite be the AI-controlled character, simply because you have more dead frames between spell casts (where you can't open the menu and start another cast) when he's under player control.

I am not going to min max Secret of Mana co-op, haha jesus.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Answering my own question from earlier, it seems like after Seiken Densetsu 3, Square released a bunch of mediocre Mana games for various platforms and dead ended the series back in 2007 when the original creator left.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
So I'm almost done with Ni No Kuni and need another JRPG to play soon. I find myself looking at FFXIII-2 since it's like $5 used up here. I hated FFXIII, didn't finish it and did not enjoy a single minute of gameplay in it nor cared about any of the characters/story. A friend tells me "oh no they fixed all of the gently caress ups you'll like it" but I am dubious, is it that radically different or just lipstick on a pig type tweaks?

Also is that Versus game even being made anymore? Google gives me conflicting answers which is pretty amusing.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

ImpAtom posted:

Anyone who tells you that is lying. FFXIII-2 is worse than FFXIII in almost every way except it's less linear. (And still very linear.)

Wow ok, nevermind then. Maybe I'll just replay Tales of Vesperia or something, jesus this gen sucks for JRPGs. I think I got more time out of my DS than all next gen consoles combined.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Vil posted:

Also, seconding this. Xenoblade is amazing. Perfect, no, especially when it comes to the NPC and sidequest systems, but nevertheless it's amazing.

Sorry I should have mentioned I played Xenoblade, it was pretty good although the story gets a bit retarded and the side quest stuff is often just busywork. Lots of great modern JRPG mechanic adaptations that other games should take note of and that environment design was breathtaking.

I had no idea an FFXIII-3 was on the way either, that's uh...hilarious for some reason. I hope Versus isn't really dead, it seemed like the most promising thing they've worked on in a long time.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

bef posted:

I can't find this anywhere so I thought I'd ask here: Do Entites respawn in ff12?

\/\/\/

Thanks and thank goodness.

Yeah they're like any other non-hunt/rare mob, zone away 2 screens and they can appear.

edit: beaten

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

ImpAtom posted:

No, I feel the same way. Touch controls are awful for basic movement.

I can only stomach really casual games on the phone like pinball or something. The control scheme for the types of games I enjoy just don't work well and I can't imagine trying to play 40+ hour JRPG on one. Also my phone barely lasts a day without gaming, if I was constantly gaming it would be on the charger 24/7 or I'd be constantly swapping batteries.