Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The first FF game I played was FFVII I think, which granted I enjoyed a good deal at the time, but no way is it close to my favorite. FFV, FFXI, the two handheld Tactics titles, and the Chocobo Dungeon games are all much higher ranked for me now. 4 Heroes of Light feels like the strongest "game" though; the combat system is just so far beyond every other turn-based FF game, and the job system is fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Are there patches for either of the tactics advance games that let you rename units?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I've been playing the FFV Ancient Cave romhack for the last few days in anticipation for the fiesta, and I had a question and had no better idea where to ask. Apparently there's supposed to be a chocobo merchant on a few floors who sells you stuff at random/inflated prices, but I've literally never seen them. I've made it pretty far multiple times now, is that just super bad luck on my part, or is he hidden behind a secret passage or something?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I've definitely gotten owned by the RNG a few times (one run where I didn't get any jobs beyond white mage for 25 floors, the damage was pretty well done by then), but if I had to make one major critique it'd be that the 5/10 minute timer per floor is really stupid. As in, it should be even shorter; The game pretty much expects you to grind for 5 minutes on each floor which is a lot of loving grinding and nothing to break it up. Increase exp gains and reduce the timer. The larger 10 minute timer seems really silly too since afaik there's no way to really know that the next floor is a doozy so an extra few minutes of grinding would be useful. Something like 3/6 instead of 5/10 would be more exciting I feel.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I always do the fiesta with a friend using the SNES co-op where we each control two characters, so any alternative fiestas must support 2 player. It's the law now.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Gammatron 64 posted:

Also, every private FFXI server I've seen was like "We're going to make the game HARDCORE AGAIN and bring it back to the good old days of level 75 cap, before Abyssea RUINED the game and made it for DIRTY loving CASUALS" so I haven't ever seen much appeal in those...

The only private server I briefly played on had teleporting NPCs and stores that sold decent high end gear for a pittance, so they certainly aren't all like that if any of them still are.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Can Of Worms posted:

I am extremely excited for the fiesta and I do have a hack! Unfortunately I didn't work on it much, it just has a new job and minor changes. Download here! Here's a screenshot that will surely entice you to try it...

What are the changes and what crystal does that correspond to

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I'm so ready for the FJF already

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Fister Roboto posted:

It's one of my favorite things about summer. I can't wait.

Yeah same. Fortunately I'm taking a no-job siesta for a bit so I have plenty of time to veg out on vidja.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Gologle posted:

July 13th, 2015

Hello everybody, this is Tabata. To answer the sudden flow of fan questions, yes, we will also be implementing a Job system, akin that in beloved titles such as Final Fantasy 3, Final Fantasy 3:DS, and Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift. However, in keeping with our pledge to construct "a fantasy based on reality" the Jobs will reflect real life occupations. Please look forward to such entertaining Job combinations as: Pop Idol, Salaryman, High Schooler, Poverty College Student, Janitor, and more. Over 25 new Jobs!

All these jobs own you dummy

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I love brands!!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Boten Anna posted:

I have provided examples though? Here's a few things about Theatrhythm off the top of my head that are very bad design:

* You have to play every single song on Easy to unlock the whole game (and if I recall, to access DLC or make it even relevant) which is tedious and mind-numbing and takes several hours

* The RPG elements don't make much sense, with many decisions boiling down to choosing between different options you have no real control over

* The only good thing to grind to unlock a good chunk of hte game's content is the Chaos shrine, but DLC never appears in the Chaos Shrine. Neither do the EMS (movie) stages, or several other regular songs, and there's only one difficulty which is harder than normal and easier than hard usually; it's way too inflexible and limited for as much as you need to play it to access game content

* Speaking of the EMS stages, there are a lot of good songs that are EMS but only appear in the game mode where you select one song at a time, which has the worst rewards

* You cannot get a perfect score unless you unequip everything, which is a tedious and manual process, and there are no gearsets

* I have played well over 100 hours and am not even close to unlocking all the characters. This is also what I mean by the Chaos Shrine being the only thing worth grinding, as it's about the only way to unlock characters sometime before the heat death of the universe, yet does not let you experience the full breadth of the content in the game, nor any additional content you paid for (and from a business standpoint, it's totally hosed up to basically make the additional add-on sales force you to play the least rewarding game mode instead of having it enhance the more rewarding parts)

* This one is more opinion, but the separation of BMS/FMS abilities and the weird sacrifices and choices you have to make to balance the two (especially for Chaos Shrine grinding) is just not very fun or good, especially if you are trying to level a bunch of people more than build an optimal party where you don't always have good control over who you can take that specializes in what (nor is this always clear on a character you haven't levelled yet)

* In order to fill the critical meter on a given stage you have to purposefully gently caress up summoning then get perfects on the non-summon part which is just really weird and not fun at all

This is all true and it's a shame

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Hildebrand would never say something so rude. Too much the gentleman.

Uh he's saying it right there, seems pretty clear 2 me.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Cake Attack posted:

Why do you like your favorite FF game, FF thread?

I like FFXIV and FFV because they have multiplayer and I hate singleplayer games.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Cake Attack posted:

PC versions are even better since you can use cheat engine to make a turbo that doesn't even mess up the music

This is some next level tech

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Evil Fluffy posted:

How about instead of another terrible FFTA game they make another good FFT instead? Put this one a few hundred years earlier with Demon Jesus.

FFTA2 was good

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Cake Attack posted:

marche is the hero of ffta

the hero of ffta is montblanc

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

YoshiOfYellow posted:

So central to the plot that you can kill him off and nobody ever comments. :smuggo:

It's a heroic sacrifice so Marche can continue on his noble quest. It's a sign of true friendship and courage.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

corn in the bible posted:

speaking of ffta, version 1.0 of the big rebalancing mod should be out soon http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=9817.0

:cheerdoge:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I would buy FFTA3 in a heartbeat

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

how many final fantasy sequels have actually had good endings

FFTA2

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Is that FFTA patch out yet

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

fronz posted:

did you find out the answer to this

No and I'm crying

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

mycot posted:

I'm speaking really generally here, but I don't think someone on Something Awful has room to complain about the cynical "haha I don't really like this stupid thing" attitude.

fortunately, Something Awful the Brand isn't making that comment, poster ImpAtom is

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Motto posted:

Speaking of which, does anybody know where the idea that JRPGs require grinding came from? Is it simply a situation where if something's possible, a chunk of people are going to do it even if it's really obviously a bad idea and a huge waste of time?

Lots of people really want to use a specific character, class, or strategy and chancing that out for something more situationally useful may not be appealing if they've decided that no, they MUST use a bad character because they like them, especially if that problem can be solved by spending 5-10 minutes mindlessly mashing the X button in random encounters.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Marche and Mewt

Oh HELL yeah!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I have a problem with the design of Krile's sprite, because it weirds me out that she stares right at you

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

bloodychill posted:

Marche did nothing wrong.

He's a hero.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

ImpAtom posted:

I think it can be summed up a simple way:
RPGs, by and large, are about loving up the status quo. Bigger numbers mean a bigger status quo to gently caress up. God is the biggest status quo of all.

Lots of RPGs are about returning to traditionalism, like the classic "village boy find a magic sword and goes off to slay evil that threatens their way of life."

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Upon re-reading the Final Fantasy X-2 LP, I can't help but notice that there's a line in the game that really sums up the X-2.5 novel pretty well.

On another note, I've heard that Explorers likely won't have a demo due to that killing Japanese sales? If so, that's a shame. I hate buying games blind. But this game does have Blue Mage, so I am sorely tempted. Maybe I'll take a leap of faith.

A game bleeding sales because of the demo seems pretty telling. Have people/reviews said it's just bad?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

can you make or name units in this

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

NikkolasKing posted:

I never understood this mentality. One of the best things, to me anyway, in an RPG is going from some schmuck at Level 1 with a Rusty Sword and a Fire spell that can barely singe something to a Level 99 badass wielding the Ancient Blade of Awesome and throwing around spells that can blow up the planet.

Seriously though, the game gave you all this cool stuff, why gimp yourself? I'd much rather just find a hack or mod that increases difficulty. That way I'm expected to use everything at my disposal just to survive. I never understood the full depths of FFVIII's mechanics until a mod made me realize there was a lot more to it than just slapping Curaga on your HP and destroying everything.

I'd agree if you leveled up in games at fixed story beats and each level offered interesting play-style changes, but as it is most FF games aren't meaningfully different at level 69 than it is 79 than it is 89 than it is 99, and each of those can take hours of likely-boring game play to reach.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

LordVorbis posted:

Why? Is it just bad?

Who knows! SE seems to have a complete media lockdown of the game in the West, going as far as to not release a demo since apparently it got bashed hard in Japan and they're presumably worried about people not buying it once trying it. There's also basically zero reviews of the game (or weren't yesterday, I haven't looked today).

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Renoistic posted:

Those descriptions make the game sound more fun than MonHun, actually.

:chloe:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Monsters running away was literally added in MH4 for the expeditions afaik so it seems weird for it to be a purists thing.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
That's basically the most damning thing for a video game period though

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Arrrthritis posted:

Edward or Galuf as a Bard would be pretty awesome.

e: he could inflict disorienting status effects.

Galuf should be a Geomancer. They should also add Montblanc.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The only reason to not play the GBA version of FFV is if you desperately need an official version of FFV on an iOS device for whatever reason, or you're a weirdo like me and want to play it co-op with someone else (in which case you need the SNES one).

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

widespread posted:

So I can't break a monster's face open to get a shot at some rare item, right? Or cut a monster's tail off to make a better weapon?

correct. The game is more a beat-em-up than a monster hunter clone. Also it's really really easy and boss hitboxes are weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

TL posted:

So being a fan or FF but having never played an MMO before, is it worth giving XIV a try?

FF14 was basically designed for your demographic.