Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I started playing my last run of FF5 like this then changed my mind because I wanted to mess around with combos I had never used before.

A lot of jobs are much better than I thought they would be! Not geomancer though

Edit: If anyone doing this run got Geomancer I'm sorry.

Also a lot of jobs are effective at different points of the game so just because a combo is destroying everything don't get cocky! Someone post their jobs those are fun to look at

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jun 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Schwartzcough posted:

My four job fiesta was Blue Mage, Red Mage, Geomancer, Dancer. As far as damage goes, Red Mage is nearly useless late-game, Blue Mage is situational, and Dancer is highly unreliable. For a good part of the game, I was relying on the Geomancer skill for most of my damage. Sure, the damage was usually pretty crappy, but it was free!

Oh man that sucks. Red Mage is actually very good at damage if you give him a Summoner or Black Mage subjob but with no real mages he just falls off very quickly.

At least Dancer gets a bunch of Sword Dance buffing stuff eventually.

Also for people playing who didn't know: Your subjob actually grants you stats. If you give a Knight !Summon 5 his Magic Attack becomes as high as a Summoner's. Some passive skills do the same - if you give a character Barehanded not only are his punches as strong as a Monk's, but he gets a monk's attack and defense stats as well. If your stats are already higher it doesn't give you anything though.

This is also why the first third of the game is made trivial by giving everyone Barehanded and letting your mages punch poo poo

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

W.T. Fits posted:

Black Mage/Time Mage/Ranger/Dragoon: Team No Healing. Really only had trouble towards the end against Neo Exdeath and even then I managed come up with a strategy that let me take him down easily. (And then was later informed that I could have made things much easier on myself than I did. Oops.)

Blue Mage/Mystic Knight/Beastmaster/Dancer: Just wanted to try these classes out, didn't actually roll for them. Pretty fun though. Haven't finished the game with this group yet.

Thief/Berserker/Geomancer/Dancer: Team No Magic. And yes, that's taking into account the Geomancer since !Gaia doesn't work against Omniscient. (For those who are curious, it takes around 6 hours or so for Omniscient to work through his 30k MP.) Currently at Neo Exdeath, but haven't been able to finish him off yet. Need a few more levels so my Thief and Geomancer can live through an Almagest long enough to get the Dancer back on her feet.

Dragoon/Time Mage is actually a good combo, you can jump multiple times in a row. Also a Ranger/Time Mage could attack 8 times in a row. Quick is a really good spell if you can afford the MP cost.

That second one looks really fun but you'd have to basically have parts of the game memorized. If you know what to capture/control and where Beastmaster can make certain fights trivial. You can deal with some strong random encounters by Controlling them and making them kill themselves, the Dragons throughout the game come to mind, and Capture lets you breeze through some tough boss battles as long as you don't mind the preparation time.

That last one looks like a pain in the rear end and I never would have finished it

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

This Jacket Is Me posted:

Yeah, the characters in FF10 are pretty bad. I can't even remember the personal stories of any of them outside of the main two, and even now I'm struggling to remember what happened in Yuna's life that isn't connected to the mainline quest.

On the other hand, the themes are presentation are really good, and combined with the gameplay means FF10 is in my top 5 jRPGs.

And I always called him Seemore Guido, which is closer to the original intent of the artists I believe.

I really liked the visual character design of FFX because everyone had a cool color palette they were working with that fit in with their job.

Lulu: Black Mage so she gets black clothes and dark makeup
Auron: Samurai guy wearing all red with his massive sword
Rikku: Thiefy looking thief
Kimahri: Blue mage who is literally blue. I didn't say they're all good

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I beat War of the Lions with the lag then I did it again on iOS :I

I'll endure the slowdown for the new stuff they added, my iOS playthrough I was using the characters I'd never used before.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I started replaying FF8 recently, got a limit break to do 9999 damage before even meeting Rinoa, slapped Enc-None on one of my guys and thought "Well, I guess I beat the game" and just sort of lost interest. It doesn't help that without that the only gameplay left is those dumb puzzle bits they throw in sometimes. The best part about the Card game is it has in-battle benefits too but if you're steamrolling the battles by mashing X then it kind of loses that.

I started to replay FF9 on the PS3 then remembered how slow the battles were and again, lost interest. I'll wait for them to make it Vita compatible because stuff like that is easier to deal with when you're not taking up the TV :v:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Yar The Pirate posted:

So since there was some discussion of FFXIV, would it be recommended to pick the game up? I've only played about 9 months of WoW and had a great time grouping up but hated all the waiting around in LFG if I wasn't in a guild. I also tried out EVE Online but got bored of all the sitting around when all I wanted to do was blow up spaceships, run missions, and scam pubbies with 100 other basement dwellers. Granted I wasn't a part of SA at the time and I still don't think I have a high enough post count or the mental capacity to understand EVE enough to enjoy it and get in the Goonswarm anyway.

My summers are particularly less exciting than the rest of the year so I have some extra time I normally wouldn't have. Not to mention I imagine there will be a bit of a wait for me to play Planetside 2 so I'm looking for something to hold me over.

Edit: Is there some kind of endgame? PvP? Should I shutup and go visit the MMOHMO thread? Basically, do people still play this for fun and killing monsters together or is it like WoW where the grind and the gear are the only motivations?

I'm sure FF14 has changed it but if you hated LFG in WoW you would have shot yourself in FF11. I think I had nights where I'd log on, play for 5 hours, and be lower level than I started because I'd get one group after 3 hours, die once, delevel, and have to go back to sleep.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

God FF11 sucked.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

The fact that the world, the music and the lore of FF11 were great makes me dislike the gameplay even more for locking out so much of it.

There's a good singleplayer game locked somewhere in there. God the music was awesome

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

There were combos in FF5 that let you solo the optional superbosses, it's crazy what you can do in the game within their mechanics.

One of the superbosses is weak to Lightning, but reflects all spells and counters summons by killing you. You can cast reflect on your own guys and bounce it off, but then you can't heal and he keeps killing your guys and messing up your reflect anyway. On the other hand you can enchant someone's sword with Lightning using the Mystic Knight job's spells. If you have 2 swords because you mastered Ninja's Dual Wield, you enchant both swords. If you have Rapidfire from mastering Rangers, you can attack 4 times instead of once.

So you go from doing like 2000 damage to this boss to suddenly doing almost 9999 a hit, attacking 4 times, with both swords.

So you can do 80,000 damage in a turn.

Meanwhile the berserker attacked once for 2000 damage then died

Edit: This boss counters physical attacks so that Berserker actually made the fight harder for you

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Bruceski posted:

@Bruceski1 can now use the Fire Job 'Beastmaster'. Yay! Time to catch 'em all!

Huh, this is gonna be interesting. I've never really used a Beastmaster as more than a Blue Mage feeder. What with the megadamage coming out of my black and time mages this may wind up just whipping hoping to catch something at low enough life that didn't die. What's the threshold, 10%?

Control is loving awesome as a support skill. You can control some very tough encounters and tell them to kill themselves, it uses no mana, and with a Hypno crown it almost always lands. It's also a mana-free way to heal your whole party in some encounters, which is especially useful if you have no white magic.

Catch isn't bad but it takes a lot of effort, Control is the skill you're going to be equipping your other guys with.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Luceid posted:

Omniscient was a chump in my run. Imaged myself, berserked him, went to town with a berserked monk and a white mage spamming image. This also worked on Shinryu.

White magic, best magic. :smug:

Shinryu is really easy with pretty much any job if you Berserk him right away. Every attack he makes kills a target, but you have 4 guys so you can revive them faster than he kills them :v: don't even have to heal, just phoenix down them and leave them near death since it's one hit anyway.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Dr Pepper posted:

It really is hilarious to beat Shinryu without taking a single point of damage.

Oh man this is why I love FF5, didn't even think of that.

Pablo Gigante posted:

With Thief/Summoner/Bard so far, every single boss past Garula has been really easy. Bard isn't much use in boss battles besides giving everybody regen, but I've basically just been spamming one of the elemental summons and using two thieves for alternately attacking and healing. Beat Adamantoise, ready to head up to the flying ruins...

Some bosses are vulnerable to Stop but heal from it pretty quickly. If you have two guys with Sing alternating though you can stunlock some bosses to death.

FreezingInferno posted:

So I joined this FF5 Four Job Fiesta thing today! Playing on the SNES version for the first time in a good ten years.

My final job setup is Blue Mage/Berserker/Knight/Monk. Boy they weren't kiddin' about hard mode. Blue Magic rocks though, so it helps offset the fact that my classes are all physical. Shame I can't get White Wind though... it would be nice to have some healing.

Does hard mode let you choose the order or do you have to start as Blue Mage? Because Monks make the early game a joke but yeah unlocking them as your last job kinda sucks :I

The good thing about this setup is Berserker with Two-Hand from the knight is actually a really good damage dealer for a large portion of the game.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Awesome post, you really know the game inside-out at this point.

Edit: just tried rolling jobs.

White, Berserker, Ninja, Dancer

Not actually that bad? Starting as white Mage sucks but at least lategame there's some healing. Can berserkers make good use of dual wield? I know they can two-hand their hammers. Ninja is awesome, I don't like Dancers but equip ribbon helps. No magic damage until Holy though.

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jun 20, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Think the post was missed because I edited it in

Whm
Berserker
Ninja
Dancer

Should be pretty easy right? Can berserkers dual wield stuff?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Oh yeah scrolls! Forgot about those. I think that's actually a really easy party once you get Ninjas. Counts as magic damage too right? So I can grab holy without too much grief.

How about dancer - does swords dance work with dual wield? Dunno how much of that equipment you can get without a thief anyway. Rainbow dress/haste boots/ribbon would be pretty good if you can rely on a good sword dance.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Moldy Taxes posted:

I'm a tad bit jealous, because I'm looking forward to this one just slightly more than KH3D.

But it's out in two weeks anyway, so no big deal.
Am I missing anything because it look like theatrythm is a cheap cash in but a lot of people are actually exited for it.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

homeless snail posted:

It looks like a pretty decent rhythm game set against the iconic moments and music of classic FF. Its a way more interesting application of nostalgia than some lovely remake. Sort of like Dissidia.

What seems cheap about it, though? Other than the music and the occasional cutscene its not like they're reusing a bunch of premade assets or anything.

From what I saw some of the levels are literally preexisting cinematics and preexisting music with taps that don't line up to what's going on at all.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Vil posted:

Would I then be correct in my assumption that the only way to boost water damage is by means of a chemist?
Exactly, which is why leviathan isn't as great as he initially seems.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

W.T. Fits posted:

The damage formula for martial arts just scales poorly.

All damage in the game is determined by the formula:

Damage = (Attack - Defense) * Multiplier

Monks and characters with barehanded calculate these values as follows:
code:
Attack = 3 + (Level*2) + (0..(Level*2)/8)
Multiplier = (Level*Strength)/256 + 2
Defense = Defense
On a critical hit (8% chance per hit), Attack = Attack*2, and Defense = 0

Early on in the game, that's not that bad, especially given that you attack twice and also have an 8% chance to crit on both attacks. But once you start getting higher in level, that multiplier really starts to fall behind the other weapon types. Take swords, for example:
code:
Attack = Weapon Attack + (0..(Weapon Attack)/8))
Multiplier = (Level*Strength)/128 + 2
Defense = Defense

So it's really the way the Multiplier is calculated that makes Monks so weak late in the game compared to other weapon types. The !Focus/BuildUp command helps by doubling your Multiplier on both your hits, but that delay before the attack is made can really screw you over.
Well with a Knight you can give Monk Equip Sword but for some dumb reason it doesn't let you use Knight swords. You can't use double hand or anything too.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Kyrosiris posted:

You'll be able to take both of them out with ease. You have Wonder Wand and !Summon access, meaning you can Berserk Shinryu and keep up a wall of Golem with double Hasted Summoners (your Summoner and Black Mage), and Omega can be soloed by a Chemist.
What

How does that work?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Moldy Taxes posted:

I'm right at the final boss in my Fiesta run, but I've got a bit of a problem.

Basically, my Bard dies to every spell Neoexdeath casts. My other party members can survive if they're at reasonably high HP, though. As an example, my bard has 1073 HP, and Flare/Holy do something in the 1200 range to her with Shell on.

Does anyone who completed the game with a Bard have any tips for this? Outside of grinding levels for increased HP, I don't see how I can keep her up, but if I grind too much the challenge is pretty much gone.

Bards take hits worse than every other class in the game. Flare and Holy can both be reflected though can't they? I'd imagine you could use Reflect rings for those at least. Also fun trivia that is probably a pain to set up:

If a bard becomes zombified while singing, they'll actually keep singing. Slap Hero's Rime on there and just let her buff your party to 9999 damage.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

gigglefeimer posted:

Not really. It's very useful and fun, it has advantages and disadvantages compared to other jobs.

Alchemist in X2 was really good for random battles though. They had free full party heals but with a long cast time - if the battle ended while they were still casting the heal would go off anyway. You just set them to heal right before you finished a random encounter, you're never in danger of random fights again :v:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Just the other day they said that FF11 has been the most profitable of all the FF games.

I wonder how much of that was people who forgot to cancel their account

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

FF11 has been active for 10 years. They just celebrated the 10 year anniversary.

It's about a $13 a month charge, more if you wanted other characters (a lot of people did because of the insane storage requirements)

13x12: $156 a year, + $50 for the game = let's round it to $200, if you just subscribe for a year

MEANWHILE...

FFX: $50
FFXII: $50
FFXIII:$60

The last what, 10 years of mainstream releases are less sales revenue than a year of FF11. FF11 is a lot cheaper to keep working on too - you pump out expansions to keep players interested but that doesn't take 200 people 5 years.

Also loads of people who "quit" didn't do so overnight and left their account open for a while. If you leave your account open for 4 months without playing you just paid as much as FFX.

There's a reason everyone and their mom was trying to make MMOs for a while, they can make a lot of money if you do it right.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Kyrosiris posted:

That said, there is a not-insignificant upkeep cost associated with MMOs that you don't have with stand-alone titles. I don't think that FFXI was barely breaking even or anything, but saying that every month is $13 pure profit is pretty disingenuous. :)

Phrased differently, once a game like FFXIII is paid off (revenue => costs), that's it, it's paid off, and everything thereafter is profit. An MMO can't be so succinctly "paid off" as it has recurring costs (data center/bandwidth costs, data center support staff, customer service staff, new expansions/raid content to keep people's interests, etc).

All that said, I wouldn't for a moment doubt FFXI's status as SE's most profitable venture. I just wish the user interface wasn't so goddamned convoluted and hard to use. Every time I've tried to play FFXI (and I've tried a good 3-4 times), it takes me 15 minutes to find and figure out how to fight a drat monster, let alone do anything meaningful. :(

That's true but I'd imagine your guaranteed income every month should balance that out, not to mention that although games like FF13 can be "paid off" eventually the sales dropoff for FF games is huge, you basically have a couple of months to sell what you can.

I work in retail finance but our group doesn't sell any subscription based services, mostly clothes, cosmetics and restaurants. If they could come up with any way to guarantee the same person would buy something from you every single month they'd kill for it, they've certainly tried :v:

Also profitable or not FF11 is still pretty bad, even the old games have friendlier interfaces and didn't make you wait for airships in real time after you had to do 15 missions to even get permission to board an airship.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I don't disagree, I just think it's a waste of a class they could have done more with. Reread your description of RDM then read what they said the job was:

What the hell are they going to do with that new Rune Fencer job now? It's basically what Red Mage looked like when you first pick it.

Edit: My favorite part of being RNG/NIN meant that literally getting into fights cost me loads and loads of money

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

DapperDuck posted:

tl;dr version: Red Mages were terrible, then great! But now they suck again.

As someone who played FF11 in 2004-2005 this was actually really interesting. I do remember sometimes intentionally tanking as a RNG/NIN if the tank went down and impressing my parties (It was really easy to draw massive amounts of hate with Barrage) or taking the TP hit to switch to a crossbow with sleep bolts to sleep a link.

It's too bad the quick-thinking aspect was usually not there and the most you had to do was wait for your puller to come back and press attack

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

FF12 With a job system sound awesome. You can't switch mid-game though right?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

The stupid thing about the optional missions they added in FFT:WOTL is that you need to do them in multiplayer over Wifi because Japan has some weird boner for putting loads of wifi only content in their portable games.

In the iOS version they completely strip them out, and instead when you beat the game once they give you all the rewards you would have gotten :I

There's crazy stuff in there, the armor all has more +HP than any other armor in the game and the weapons take the best possible weapons and add 2 or 3 tiers above them. There are boots that give more than 1 MV and a lot of stuff that pumps multiple stats. Would've been nice if they just let you do single player missions for them.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Given those numbers, it's pretty simple to use a spreadsheet or any kind of online dice roller or random number generator to create a fiesta party of your own. There's also a lot of little rules modifications you could do like including Traveler in the wind and Mimic in the water or earth list, rolling a different job for each half of the fire crystal (giving you a pool of 5), or using the Hard Mode method with a no-duplicates clause. You can do even crazier stuff with hex editing in an emulator or cheat device, like opening all the jobs from the beginning so you can do a Fire Only run or something.

Final Fantasy V owns.

I tried to make a lovely thing in google docs for this but it's not working right with our firewall here so it's stuck as an excel spreadsheet.

Edit: Oh drat looks like it won't even attach a screenshot correctly. Well I got it to do this :v:

Hard Mode: Time Mage/Mystic Knight/Mystic Knight/Black Mage
Normal Mode: Blue Mage/Red Mage/Bard/Dancer

Hard Mode: Samurai /White Mage/Ninja/White Mage
Normal Mode: Thief/Berserker/Ranger/Dragoon

Hard Mode: Geomancer/Time Mage/Red Mage/Thief
Normal Mode: Monk/Summoner/Beastmaster/Dancer

It'll just keep spitting out random jobs. For hard mode it's any 4, for normal mode it's 1 of each crystal.

Oh wait Hard mode is wrong, it's supposed to only give you jobs you could have at that point right? Oops, well easy fix

Only registered members can see post attachments!

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Jul 3, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Another tip: If you give someone a subjob they get bonuses from it. So a Blue Mage with !Summon 5 gets much stronger blue magic, since Summoners have the best Magic stat in the game.

This also means your last 2 jobs can be anything at all and still have powerful spells available to them :v: !Blue is great on a lot of classes that don't have high magic because many of the spells don't use the Magic stat. White Wind heals your whole party based on HP so the beefier classes are actually better at casting it than a Blue Mage would be.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Berk Berkly posted:

I know I've been having a lot of fun running Knight/Breaker tanks with White/Red/Black/Time mage support/damage.

I have every base covered, every spell and tech. Full buffs, debuffs, and everything in between while still making GBS threads out damage. A bunch of obnoxious traps? Float over all of them. Bunch of dudes with every buff in the universe? Dispellga. Super high HP rear end in a top hat? Death.

Nothing says steamroller like watching Basch kick out 5 digit numbers every swing with Berserk/Haste/Bravery:

In vanilla FF12 I also realized I broke the game by giving Basch the strongest weapon I had and keeping those buffs on him at all times. He would run off, get a 3 kill chain before I catch up.

In the Zodiac version does one job get all 3 of those buffs?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Fister Roboto posted:

It's any four from crystals you've already reached, so what you have here wouldn't work. You'll always have at least one wind job on hard mode.

Yeah I realized this later. Seems kinda flawed as a lot of the wind jobs are simple but useful, like I'm pretty sure a Knight is better than a Dragoon at any point of the game and "Hard" mode can give you an easier party a lot of the time.

quote:

Second best magic!

Oracle has a higher magic stat. Of course, in the Four Job Fiesta and non GBA versions the Oracle isn't in the carts.

Yeah but the Oracle is a lovely job otherwise :v: it would actually make a four job fiesta hard if you could somehow start with it.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Schwartzcough posted:

Yeah, Vaan and Ashe are the most well-rounded characters for hybrid classes, so both Uhlan and Monk make sense. Or in my case, WHITE MAGE WITH GREATSWORDS :black101:

Archer – Balthier (Famfrit- 825 HP)
Red Mage – Penelo (Cuchulainn – aga-level black magic) (Shemhazai – Esuna, Cleanse) (Exodus- Heavy armor 8-10)
Breaker – Fran (Belias – Horology) (Hasmal- Swiftness)

White Mage – Vaan (Chaos – 310 HP, Greatswords 2)
Time Mage – Basch (Mateus – 230HP) (Adremmelech – Cura, Raise) (Zalera- Ether Lore 3) (Zeromus – Addle, Shear) (Zodiark – Swords 9)
Uhlan – Ashe (Ultima- Expose)

A bit light on magical offense, but what can ya do. This should be fun.

How the hell do Espers work in that version I don't get it

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Miracon posted:

Like in the original, only one character can obtain a given Esper. On the new license boards, there are a number of "island" licenses that you can't reach at first. Once you defeat them, Espers will become bridges to those spaces. In the above example, Red Mage can learn Firaga, Blizzaga, and Thundaga once you obtain Cuchulainn. Each job receives different bonuses from a given esper. Zeromus giving Addle and Shear to Time Mage is mentioned there, but Zeromus could alternately give MP Cost -10% to Red Mage. An esper might give no bonus to a particular job, though; none of the jobs receive a bonus from all 13 espers. That makes it easier to avoid conflicting needs.

Ahh I see, that's kinda neat but makes it seem like you can screw up your party even more than giving them the wrong jobs. Also a lot of the Espers are very late endgame stuff anyway.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

FFTA2 is a neat little game. Don't go in expecting another FFT. Also the optional content is like 80% of the game so don't rush through all the story stuff.

I think my party of 5 were all incredibly overpowered by the end, there are a lot of combos that are just really good.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Zombies' Downfall posted:

It's actually rather elegant design, because it means people who get into the guts of the game and want to challenge themselves can find those strategies (like the stuff we've been doing in the Fiesta) while people who just want to experience the story can spend another 20 minutes grinding and trivialize the challenge. JRPGs (and some western RPGs too) have been organically doing what Bioware created a ludicrous "new" system for in ME3 since at least the 8-bit era.

Most games that use stuff like scaling XP to cut down on grinding either end up being too easy for genre vets (Suikoden) or too hard for casual players (Persona) because as it turns out it's really loving hard to balance a 20-100 hour JRPG. Not that there's anything really wrong with games specifically for casual or hardcore players.

Of course, reviewers who play one of these games per console generation and haven't actually beaten one since the PS1 era just sorta gloss over that.

Persona did have difficulty levels though. Either way the difficulty curve was a bit messed up, they'd start out hard and by the end be cakewalks if you were keeping up on S. Links and fusions. I guess that's kind of the grinding replacement though - you can actually get Persona much higher than they'll let you grind them by having S.Links of a high level and fusing whenever you level up.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

TheIllestVillain posted:

Well I beat FFIV recently and I by beat I mean got to the end, realised I was way too underleveled to take on the last bunch of bosses and watched the ending on youtube.

Anyway I'm going to move on to FFV, any advice on which version to play?

GBA version, no contest. It never came out on the SNES in English so you'd need a translation patch. The PS1 version has weird loading bugs. Also the GBA one adds post-game jobs and a dungeon if you decide you want more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

It's kind of funny that some of the FF games had so many versions and remakes you have to ask what's better but all those remakes stop just before FF7

Edit: As for what to play GBA games on, I wouldn't feel too bad about using emulation. As far as I know Nintendo straight up stopped manufacturing systems that play GBA games at this point.

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Jul 11, 2012