Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Ragequit posted:

While we are on the topic of art, I took a picture of my old Versus Books FFVII guide poster last night for the FFVII LP Thread. Thought you guys might enjoy it as well. Bonus: Wild Arms 2 poster!

Click for huge.

I have that FF VII poster! Came from a great strategy guide, with some poor intel. (example, they said you could encounter Test 0. I think they were using a Japanese copy to write the guide.) Always wondered why Cid didn't make the cut for the poster!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Even fans of FF13 make it sound like the shittiest story ever told. Square has completely lost the plot, their game release schedule looks like some designer fried out on LSD got to make executive decisions.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
The biggest complaint wasn't that she showed too much skin, the poo poo was given for awful, beyond-unrealistic character design. But thanks for a wall of hotlinked images, perhaps all the poo poo given should be directed towards your awful post! :cool:

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Pesky Splinter posted:

quote:

After release, director Motomu Toriyama felt that the lower-than-expected review scores for a main Final Fantasy series game came from reviewers who approached the game from a Western point of view. These reviewers were used to games in which the player was given an open world to explore, he said, noting that this expectation contrasted with the vision the team set out to create. He noted that it "becomes very difficult to tell a compelling story when you're given that much freedom".

quote:

Yoshinori Kitase stated that they "didn't really intend to work within with the RPG template," but "wanted to create a new game, even a new genre." He stated that "in a lot of senses FFXIII is more like an FPS than an RPG."

quote:

Square Enix president Yoichi Wada made his thoughts about the reception of the game known to Gamasutra. He said, "Some value it highly, while others really don't like it." He added, "Should Final Fantasy become a new type of game or should Final Fantasy not become a new type of game? The customers have different opinions. It's very difficult to determine which way it should go."

This is an excellent compilation of quotes stating, in short, "Square doesn't know what the gently caress."

Western audiences loved FF games, even when they weren't open-world like GTA. Why? Because the world was more open than FF XIII's. Also, it is not difficult to tell a story in open-world games. It requires a little intuition, maybe early railroading, but... :argh: What a loving cop-out. Especially Wada's quote, jesus. How is he president of the company?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
I want to do this, but I hate twitter and don't have an account. Will someone just roll a d20 instead?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Happy Blue Cow posted:

You and me both :o:

In all seriousness, you aren't alone in disdain for twitter and/or even having an account. My last tweets on my twitter account were from LAST YEARS fiesta... that's how little I use/care for it.

But like RevenantKioku says, Twitter allows for privacy (if you make a new account). Not to mention at this point the Twitter Gilgabot is pretty deeply embedded in automatically tracking a lot of things, such as the statistics of progress, donations, pledges, and job allocation of hundreds of different players all simultaneously, and automatically updates these events on website. It takes a huge load of work off the event organizer, and makes things really clean and efficient, by having Twitter support.

So making a twitter account in less than 2 minutes to sign up really saves a lot of time in the long run, and is well worth it since this event rocks!

:getin:

EDIT: I also signed up for Hard mode!

Could have just said no, but thanks for the wall of text. I'm not registering for Twitter to use it once. I'll find my d20s once I get home I suppose.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
FF4 was my first, and nearly my least favorite (only a bit better in some ways than Mystic Quest).

The best FF is obviously Tactics. :colbert: if I had to pick a numbered game, it's definitely 7.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

It does.

Hope you like waiting an extra 5-10 seconds when you cast protect on your group. :sigh:

Really? It's running off of flash memory, that fixes it on the PSP.

Oh right, Square.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Himuro posted:

Don't play Earthbound; play Mother 3 instead.

Mother 3 was a pile of poo poo, Earthbound 4 lyfe :whatup:

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

jivjov posted:

Is there any good way to experience the story of FFXI without actually playing? Has anyone done a story-based Let's Play or something?

I could lead this if anyone wants to give it a go. Don't have crap for video recording, but I have a high-level character on Bahamut and the patience for this sort of thing.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Gammatron 64 posted:

Chrono Trigger, FF7, and Mario RPG make up the holy trinity of JRPGs.
Muuuuch better. Fixed a typo, and you were missing a comma. :angel:

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
nvm

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
They regularly release all the old expansions with the new for $20ish.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
FFXI runs on a netbook. They used to have a little benchmark application you could download to check things out.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

penguinmambo posted:

Coming fresh of X2 and its job system (which mostly own, though there's some you sort of get then never use again) and not really having played the early ones, what other FFs use the job system or close approximation without feeling like there's a bunch of useless jobs?

FF3, 5, and Tactics use the job system. I've found useless jobs in each game.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Azure_Horizon posted:

It's just surprising to me considering FFIX was more well-received from game critics than VII was. If he thinks FFVII was the pinnacle of quality in the franchise, well...

...he's right.

Ain't no gettin' offa this train we're on!

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

This Jacket Is Me posted:

Also, there's lots of non-main game FF7 spin offs, movies, blah blah that probably generated enough to put it over FF11.

I sincerely doubt it. Someone who has played FFXI since release has spent thousands on the game. Newer players won't have spent as much, but still much more than an initial $60 the developer doesn't see if you buy used or rent.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Forgot to factor the price of buying each of those expansions, new, plus the lovely $10 add-ons that didn't add new zones or jobs and finally drove me to quit.

Not that I'm bitter.

Also, you can take solace in the fact that Red Mage is awfully underappreciated, and regularly gets told to stand back and keep casting Refresh. Or heal. I loved playing the job solo to sub to better jobs, but I'd never party as RDM.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
I don't disagree, I just think it's a waste of a class they could have done more with. Reread your description of RDM then read what they said the job was:

quote:

These fighter-mages can utilize both black and white magic, as well as the arts of the sword.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

What the hell are they going to do with that new Rune Fencer job now? It's basically what Red Mage looked like when you first pick it.

MDef tanking. Reportedly. Isn't that what the game needed back when Absolute Virtue was undefeated?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Yep, so RDM was great for any linkshell that didn't melee zerg everything in seconds....

Oh, wait.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

SpazmasterX posted:

Oh sure, if you're gonna take an hour to zombie slog your way through something than who needs anything but a pointy stick?

Zombie slog? That's when you want RDMs, they make life easier for everyone. I'm talking about 15 second to minute-long battles where you throw DRKs and SAMs at it til it dies.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Is there a way to get Slash-All in FF5? Would it work with the Healing Staff?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Idioteque Dance posted:

So now I decide which to do next - I haven't finished but have played quite a bit of): 6, 12, 13 (also, 11 and 14). Decisions!

I haven't played 14 but here's how I rate the rest:

12/6/11/13. 11 isn't most people's thing, but it's kinda similar to 12. I couldn't stand 13.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

penguinmambo posted:

Are there "positive"-associated fan theories? I've noticed that every popular FF theory seems less about some neat idea that is fun to think about and more a need to explain away something not adequately explained that ended up specifically *annoying* the audience or to do some kind of damage control in making the character more interesting.

What about "everybody died at the end of FF VII"? I've heard people other than me argue that point. Squall and R=U were internet theories that required some serious stretches, whereas FF VII foreshadowed that point somewhat heavily.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

penguinmambo posted:

Yeah. FF7 was deliberate though and that feels more like "intepretation of the media" than a fan theory.

I don't know that I understand this. Not to champion Squall is dead, but watching a movie where a guy gets impaled by an ice shard and deciding it was fatal is an interpretation of the media.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Dissidia had this to say: "The weapon collecting, dimension hopping, self-proclaimed "legendary swordsman." Although possessing the body of a fiend, he holds a strong sense of loyalty and compassion."

I think his FF XII appearance was the best yet.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Is it really considered grinding to leave your PS2 on overnight?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Leovinus posted:

FF9 also has the most challenging superboss in the PSX series. I've only beaten him once, because he is an absolute fucker.

Have you tried the Friendly Yan posted earlier? :cheeky: I just picked up FF IX recently, having never gotten past the first disc. Enjoying it so far, but I doubt it'll displace VII in my mind.

(And I know you're referring to Ozma, watched a friend die to Satan's bouncy ball dozens of time)

EDIT: I'll go against the grain and recommend you don't use the Nihopalaoa, I never needed it to finish the game. Grab one if you're worried, I don't think it's necessary though.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
You can use PayPal to purchase Crysta for as long as you want to play, and have zero recurring fees.

As to how old FFXI players did it: bootstraps. Grit. Especially if you were an unwanted job like Thief. I have no regrets. (But I was younger with a lot more free time.)

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

I've been curious about trying out FFXI recently, but I think I only have Silver LIVE. If that's okay, then I wonder if there's a downloadable demo for the 360 out :shobon:

The White Dragon has been huffing jenkem or something, you don't need Gold. But there isn't a demo, sorry.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
I completely agree, too many excellent Windower plugins to pass up. And the graphics will be a little nicer. Why hasn't anyone else tried a console MMO?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

So that post is making me want to play FFXI, because I'm a huge FF fanboy and want to just see the story that I've heard is worth playing an MMO for. If I were to try to solo the game just to see storyline, and I don't plan to play regularly (maybe every couple of days for 3-4 hours), how many hours do you think that would take? Like 200? I'd be willing to sink that kind of time in if there were a way to pay by time spent on server rather than monthly, but maybe at like 100 hours I could try to sink the whole FFXI experience in in a three or four month go.

It still takes a LOT of time for all the bullshit quests you need to do just to get there. Watch the story on YouTube or read it on ffxiclopedia.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
It was incredibly useless without going to its Playonline page, now it's probably wasted paper. With pretty pictures!

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
It's still a great game to me, after all these years. I've played all the FFs, and the only one I found more enjoyable was Tactics. Amazing story, excellent characters, love the world, and Materia. I get why some prefer VI, but I'm all about FFVII.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
What's odd is, it wasn't my first by a long shot. I cut my teeth on the NES and SNES, enjoyed Dragon Warrior and Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG... FFVII did a lot of things right, and I'm a little sick of people saying that others like it because it was their first. That isn't always the case.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
I haven't beaten it, but don't spend much on Marcus, if anything.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Didn't know Tri-Ace helped with 13-2, I'll be picking that up. I'd play an action rpg Final Fantasy, too.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Boten Anna posted:

If you like XI, play XII. It's basically XI offline.

I loved the poo poo out of FF XI, and XII was no exception. If you finish XII and feel the need for more, try Xenoblade. But XII will keep you occupied for quite awhile.

EDIT:

Rape Jake. posted:

Uhh the retarded plots are the whole point of JRPGs, I dunno what universe you live in.

Crazy plots are the whole point of JRPGs, not necessarily retarded. The crazier and the loftier, the better. It might be why I enjoy FF VII, Tactics, Earthbound, and Xenogears the most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
JRPGS are most focused on plot and most susceptible to awful stories because of it, I don't think that's off-base.