Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

pw pw pw posted:

Can you show me a game with characters he designed that do not suck donkey chunks? I'm genuinely interested curious.

The World Ends with You isn't too bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

TurnipFritter posted:

I've seen someone argue that this is perfectly acceptable for a scientist to wear in real life. (They also argued that Gunner Yuna and Thief Rikku wouldn't look out of place at a beach during spring break, because, I guess where ever he lived the girls wore denim sarongs and puffy sleeves to the beach.)

The thing that bothers me the most about Gunner Yuna is that loving hood. What the gently caress is that even for

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Momomo posted:

Her design's mimicking Tidus.

She's got things like the hood, the retarded half-dress, and Abes' symbol on her chest. Obviously it's not a good looking design, but there was at least some reason for it.

Oh Godammit how did I not see that? It's just hard to believe that was intentional.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I might have to give these guys more credit. The only things I recognized were Tidus and Auron's swords.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Pesky Splinter posted:

That's so much better than rent-boy Vaan:

Put a shirt on ya goddamn beatnik! :arghfist::nixon:

He steals only what he can't afford and that's everything.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

NikkolasKing posted:

For you Joey, my quick recommended Black Mages metal covers:
J-E-N-O-V-A
Since you like FFVII.

But their best tracks IMO are:
Clash on the Big Bridge
Battle with the Four Fiends

Also this is definitely a your mileage may vary thing but I really like The Skies Above. It is cheesy but I un-ironically love it.

I also recommend Battle With Seymour

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Pesky Splinter posted:

When Kingdom Hearts 1 came out, I was roughly the same age Sora is meant to be. Ten years down the line, they've only aged him by two years. It feel strange to have followed a series for so long, that you're actually older than what the main character is meant to be..

I know just how you feel I was around the same age too. Maybe that's why I want Kingdom Hearts III so badly.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I just beat XIII-2 and from what I heard the ending was pretty dark. I mean right now it's playing the song and it looks like everything's going to be a-okay

Edit: Oh poo poo

Edit2: Oh gently caress this isn't good.

Squallege fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 10, 2012

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

TurnipFritter posted:

I think it's a combination of her voice acting and the limitations of FFVI's sprite work. The body language in FFVI ("looking down at the ground when you're sad") is much more tolerable than her body language in Dissidia.

It was pretty lame that they had Terra all :ohdear: throughout the whole thing. It's been a long time since I played VI but she got it together near the end right? I was kinda hoping she'd show that. At least a little.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm ready for some Lightning Returns.... Next year. Where's Timecop Snow when you need him?

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

PunkBoy posted:

I hope Chocolina returns. :ohdear:

I saw her in one of the first trailers.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Momomo posted:

I just got to XIII's "We're pets :downs:" cutscene. There was talk earlier of how the game's localization was badly done, does anyone know if this scene was any better in Japanese? Lightning's train of thought is weirdly done, and it doesn't really make sense for her to run away after getting another reason to hate the Fal'cie.

I honestly don't even remember that. XIII's story is so forgettable I only remember the basics.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I didn't care for XII when it came out because it reminded me too much of an MMO. But if it were rereleased I would definitely give it another shot!

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Peel posted:

Star Ocean 4 is the only 0% entry in my trophy list. I should probably sell it or something.

That guy wanted 360 RPGs, but what are the good PS3 RPGs? I didn't pay much attention this gen so I'm out of the loop. I have FFXIII & sequel, the Disgaeas and Resonance of Fate.

I've heard good things about Valkyria Chronicles. I haven't played it but I'm thinking of getting it.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Say what you will about Vaan's weird Aladdin getup or Ashe's skirt thing but Gabranth and all the other judge's armor were cool as gently caress.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Overbite posted:

If I demanded my family and friends called me Lighting I don't think they'd be cool with it.

She apparently has no family (except Serah) and friends is kinda questionable. Maybe the guardian corps all go by silly nicknames.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah, there was a female dragoon in a trailer wasn't there? At least I think there was...

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Final Fantasy VII is Zack's dying dream of Cloud who then dreams as he is dying in Zack's dying dream.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Oh gently caress Fang's back. Let's hope she ditched Vanille somewhere in crystal limbo.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer
As ridiculous as XIII-2's end game was. I still like the fact that the game starts its ending as happy as possible then goes off the rails into armageddon.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Coughing Hobo posted:

Who needs to catch monsters when you have Sazh, Snow, and two different Lightnings via DLC :getin:

I pretty much gave up on monster catching as soon as I got Valkyrie Lightning in my party.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Mazed posted:

FFXIII had a couple of tracks which really fell short of the mark, despite being decent to listen to on their own. The first of these was "Defiers of Fate", which played on the airship all the way up until the first Barthandelus fight. The scenery in this area was really cool and evocative, but having it set to a somewhat bland rock/synth cover of the Blinded by Light theme really took something away. It ought to have been something much more ominous and looming, seeing as how you were invading an airship designed like a flying cathedral. It could have been really cool buildup for your imminent face-to-face encounter with a god-machine.

Same goes for the Yaschas Massif theme. Nothing against bossa nova, but a winding, precipitous mountain trail inhabited by powerful monsters that ends in the ruins of a modern city inhabited by ghoulish cie'th sincerely deserved better ambiance.

The Sunleth Waterscape theme really put me off at first, but eh...it grew on me. :v:

The rest of the music in XIII was really good and suited the environments extremely well, for what little we got to see of them. That, and it has the best normal battle theme that the series has ever had, bar none.

Dust to Dust is still one of my favorite XIII tunes.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNR-wsFAfiU
She did music for Xenoblade Chronicles too.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Evil Fluffy posted:

I can't hear that song and not hear the similarities to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpvdAJYvofI

Holy poo poo now I can't either.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

HJE-Cobra posted:

So if I haven't played either of the existing FFXIIIs, but I have pre-ordered Lightning Returns (...partly because of a Cloud Strife costume), is it worth going back to play FFXIII-2? I don't intend to go back and play the first FFXIII, but people seem to say the second one is a step up from the first one.

Also I enjoy time-travel stories, and hadn't realized until reading this thread that time travel features heavily into FFXIII-2.

I'd say it's worth it. I think you can get FXIII-2 and all the DLC together on the Sony store for a fairly decent price.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Overbite posted:

So do you guys like ANY Final Fantasy? I mean they all have terrible stories and most have terrible characters but I thought 7 was really good, and I liked 12 :shobon:

I don't think I hate any Final Fantasy

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Is the best way to legally acquire the game from PSN? Because I'd like to replay it, but my discs are battered all to gently caress and possibly lost + I don't wanna fuss with a Playstation emulator.

I think it is. You can play it on the PS3, the PSP, and even the Vita.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Yohan Kebab posted:

FF8 is the first FF game I played and nostalgia dictates I will never look at it objectively. I just can't, I've replayed it about 5 times and loved every single playthrough. Surely everyone has a FF game like that?

I'll admit I'm this way a little bit with FFX.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

He'll be like Sora's parents. Just gone.

Hey now, his mom's exists... Just as a disembodied voice.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Azure_Horizon posted:

BEST version of Clash on the Big Bridge. I also love the original version of Noel's Theme. gently caress yeah guitar shredding. Thankfully we got that in-game with Last Hunters, which is such a great battle theme.

Beautiful, fantastic FFXIII-2 tracks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-mE25_YEOY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWCuv1oo6pg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9pzcp6GiYs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8vXYBEvSow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hafLpftyWCA

And so much more. XIII-2 actually has more space on my mp3 player than XIII did.

I agree with all of these and add a couple more.

Village and Void and Chaotic Guardian
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkT9yjhBC3I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrLpVD_N0ns

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Lord of Pie posted:

The previous post about Lightning getting a breast enlargement with jiggle physics in 13-3 makes me wonder if perfecting that "feature" for Tifa is what has been holding up a remake of FF7 all this time.

It can't just be that S-E hates money.

I think Tifa was the only character they even had jiggle physics for in Duodecim.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer
In all honesty if anything is good from game to game it's the music. I can always find at least one song in each game that I like. Even XII which I probably like the least has some great tracks like the Esper Battle, Empire Theme, and Phon Coast.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I buckled and got XIV earlier this week and made a character during the early access thing I got despite canceling my preorder. My biggest issue is that all the worlds are apparently full unless you go on Japan's servers. I had to ditch my first character and start a new on Anima(JP). I got to level 11 within a few hours. I like it a lot more than WoW at least.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Guys I don't know. I've been to Japan once. I think I might be anime too.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Glad to see some Caius talk. I liked Caius but like just about everyone else hated that he wielded Soul Edge.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Renoistic posted:

His lovely voice made me sit through all his lovely dialogue so that was some genius casting. Too bad they didn't do the same for Yeul. If they'd gotten Jennifer Hale I would've been able to listen to her exposition no problem. Doesn't matter that the voice wouldn't fit her!

I wouldn't mind if there was a scene where Caius just reads a phone book cover to cover.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_BFovD7cYA
So here's the Yuna costume in action.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

amaranthine posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aO-GfCaeRLs

Well, that's certainly a thing. So not surprised.

(you have to buy some sort of guide to get it, I believe)

:lol: They show a cutscene of her getting impaled specifically for the Aerith costume

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I honestly couldn't remember if Raijin was the man or the woman who talked in all caps until I googled it.

...and I'm not sure which would have been funnier.

"LOVE!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

dis astranagant posted:

They had some grand plan to use Aki as an "artificial actress" to refine over time and star in most of their planned films. Hence the 400k poly model in loving 2001.

Oh yeah I think I saw the documentary they made about that called "S1m0ne" it had Al Pacino in it. It takes some liberties.