Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

C-Euro posted:

To start us off- I've heard it mention in a few places that oftentimes one's favorite Final Fantasy is the first one they ever played. How many of you are guilty of this? FF6 was the first one I played and it remains one of my favorite games of all time, so I've fallen into that trap.

I don't think many people who started with FF1 would pick that as their favorite. FF1 was my first. I never liked it. It was too grindy and lacked the charm of the NES Dragon Quests to make up for it. FFX is my favorite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Safari Disco Lion posted:

I just dicked around with FF4 DS again after it sat in my shelf for a few months, I've never played it before. Is it just me or is this game way harder than others in the series? I'm only a couple hours in and the underground waterway was a huge pain in the rear end. Then I got to the boss and it nearly oneshot Rydia, who died and missed out on fight exp because I ran out of pheonix downs. Now she's even further behind at 15 while Cecil is 19 and Tellah was 18. I also had a really hard time when I first got her and she was way underlevelled, I had to grind for a good 45 minutes to get comfortable with fights and I was still having to use magic all the time in the waterway on random mobs. Now I have Edward in the same situation.

And what's with this game and terrifying boss monsters? The octomammoth and antlion are both horrible. :gonk:

Was Rydia in the back row? Grinding with Rydia in the desert is the worst thing you can do because fights in the desert are harder with just Cecil and Rydia than they are in the cave with Cecil, Rydia, and Tellah, due to Tellah being able to one hit shot kill everything with his lightning.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

Then you get back to the moon, give Rosa Omnicast, and breeze through the rest of the game because half the enemies on the moon will kill themselves with magic (due to omnicasted wall) while they others just flail away at Cecil who you kept on perma-guard with counter on top of it.

Augments are both cool and terrible in the game, and all the good ones you won't get unless you're looking for them (in a walkthrough) because nobody's going to normally use augments on temporary characters. Then again they might if NG+ didn't have a cap on the number of runs.

Don't you think these two issues cancel themselves out? If you can only get the good augments, like Omnicast, by looking in a walkthrough, then the end of the game was only a breeze if you used a walkthrough. I played through the game twice and never came across Omnicast.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

der juicen posted:

But but but I love cutscenes. :suicide: I kinda really do though.

The cutscenes are terrible though. If you want a good heavy cutscene FF, play FFX.

I really think playing FF13 first might make you refuse to play the rest of the series.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

der juicen posted:

I will take heed if the title. People telling me to play X, I am unemployed, disabled and despise the PS2 controller, so XIII it is!

Sell your 360 and get a PS2 with the money. The thread title is just a little joke. XIII is really the worst. 90% of the thread will agree on that. (Or they'll say it's second worst to FFVIII)

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Azure_Horizon posted:

It would if Disc 2 wasn't a total abortion.

Disc 2 was the best part. It got rid of that boring mediocre gameplay for the most part.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Azure_Horizon posted:

But then replaced it with the worst plot!

They replaced your 2nd Xenogears CD with Chrono Cross? I'm sorry to hear that.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

microwave casserole posted:

I'm still generally enjoying the hell out of FF9, but what is up with the random encounters? I literally can't take more than ten steps without triggering one. Is there something wrong with the PS3's emulation? I cannot believe it is supposed to be like this.

Ah, now you're getting to the biggest reason why 9 is not as lauded as 4, 6, and 7. I liked the story, but due to the high encounter rate, slow start to the battles, slow animations/ATB, I couldn't finish it and won't ever play it again. It's really incredible just how slow it all is. The only RPG I've honestly had less fun playing was FF8.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Rueish posted:

There aren't enough psyducks in the world for this. What? Unmemorable? FF9 has the best soundtrack in the series, one of the best in gaming. It's even Uematsu's favorite score! It has countless amazing tracks and there are some that are fantastic homages to past games as well.

I agree with Mister Roberto. It was the only musically disappointing game in the series to me. Most of the songs were very bland. (Much like the characters, story, and gameplay)

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

DeathBySpoon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUNLwlenkh0&t=74s

Teddie Kefka is the best Dissidia character.

I actually agree about FF9's music not being as memorable, though- I'm playing through it RIGHT NOW, at about 30 hours in on Disc 3, and I couldn't remember the boss theme at all. I usually pay a lot of attention to game music, too. Its good music, it just doesn't stand out to me the same way as something like The Landing, Force Your Way, or Terra's Theme. Also, this is the best ATE in FF9 because of the music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IwDkM5uDSs&t=8s

I listened to the final boss theme from FF9 yesterday when someone posted it and already today I don't remember it. It's so undistinct compared to something like FF4's awesome Zeromus boss music. Now that was a final boss theme.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Facepalm Ranger posted:

How come VIII has a much better soundtrack than VII?

I can't think of a single tune from VII except "SEPHIROTH!"

You forgot VII's overworld theme - the best FF overworld theme? I thought VIII's map music was just poo poo compared to that.

Same for the regular battle music.

This violin cover of Cosmo Canyon https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCQ8UXCSs-M is better than anything to come out of VIII IMO, music or otherwise.

I also really like the boss themes, the Mako Reactor theme, and You can hear the cry of the planet.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Beef Waifu posted:

No voice actress cares about sexual poo poo they work on. Hell, one of Tara Strong's favorite roles is Toot from Drawn Together and that is something of a role. The only time I've heard a voice actress struggle with a scene because of the content was a scene in Death Note that is REALLY showing how dissonant the values of Japan are when it comes to a married couple.

Which scene in Death Note was that?

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

You know in all my searches for JRPG recs, Dragon Quest games never come up. I always had them pictured in my mind, and this is based on practically nothing, as these rather bare-bones stock fantasy things. Maybe fun to play but nothing else of note. I tend to prefer JRPGs with a lot of story emphasis and I don't think I've ever had a DQ game suggested to me on the basis of its story. I also never hear the soundtracks for the games listed as particularly amazing either. (and I spend a lot of time looking up music lists for games on YT since OSTs matter a lot to me)

Can I get your opinion on these?

http://youtu.be/1UHjVnNLnYc (listen to entire thing because it changes at 1:30
http://youtu.be/OlN7mbkslXo
http://youtu.be/YR1kvUHtI_U

Final fantasy does battle and over world better but I would actually say DQ does emotional music better.

That loving Sned posted:

The best game to start with is the remake of Dragon Quest III for the SNES. It's got a fan translation now, and the pacing is better than any other game in the series. For one, your character sprints around towns and dungeons, and it's also the only game where you start off with four party members, with jobs you can assign to them.

Being the last Dragon Quest game on the SNES, it looks absolutely gorgeous. It uses a 4MB cartridge like Dragon Quest VI, but since the game isn't as long they managed to pack the game with detail and fluid animations for the enemies. The animations are much faster in the game than they are in these gifs, though.

I don't think recommending DQ3 to someone who plays RPGs mostly for the story is a good idea. Your characters in DQ3 are just people you buy in a shop. You can trade them in and get new people whenever you want. That's part of the reason DQ3 is my least favorite DQ. If you like RPGs with a good story, you want DQ4, DQ5, or DQ7.

some bust on that guy fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Aug 27, 2014

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

I wonder how they got away with having Edgar, Sabin, and Setzer be 27. And Cyan be 50. This is why FF6 had the best cast.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Beef Waifu posted:

I know you like to act like 13 doesn't exist, but it has a father in it.

The one likable character in the game. He's an outlier. FF6 is the only one where most of the cast is 25+. (At least I believe most, I didn't count) So it feels like the most adult cast, even despite Relm and Gau. It's the only RPG I can think of where I can have my top five favorite characters be 25+. I wonder why they chose to do that in one game and then never again.

some bust on that guy fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Sep 3, 2014

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Sunning posted:

A large reason you see Japanese game developers target this young audience is because those demographics are most likely to purchase console games and become engaged by them. By engagement, I mean consumers who not only purchase the game but also take part in the community surrounding the game and trans-media promotion (merchandising!) of the game. When Japanese gamers enter college and the workforce, the level of engagement typically declines and many of them stop playing games altogether. This is okay for games aimed towards a niche audience but big budget games need to attract a large and active audience.

In a past interview, Kitase talked about the Final Fantasy audience is sort of a moving target. Their target demographic eventually age out and will they have to target younger consumers with newer games. It's why they pay attention to latest trends, such as in fashion and music, so they can incorporate these elements into their games. So there is a divide between younger Japanese audience and older Western audiences in what they expect from an RPG.

Why is it mostly a RPG thing? You see older main characters in other genres all the time. Silent Hill, Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil (Chris Redfield is 40 now), Castlevania, even Mario.

Do they take into consideration at all that Western youth wants older characters too? I never remember a time being a teenager where everyone only wanted to watch other teenagers. The only casts of teens in popular movies I can remember from when I was a teen were usually just characters that we all rooted against in horror movies. Even as a kid, I mainly liked and remember other kids liking Indiana Jones, James Bond, Batman, Hulk Hogan, Rambo, Star Trek, Star Wars, Ghostbusters, etc.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Jerry Steinfeld posted:

I've never played a Final Fantasy before, which one is the best? Where should I start?

X is the best but if you start with that one, all the others might be disappointing.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

The White Dragon posted:

The GBA has the best translation and a bonus dungeon, but like all the GBA ports, the ATB is a little buggy and the music port is kinda lovely. The SNES translation is the most accurate experience you'll get relative to the original release, but it has a little bit of Internet Translation Team syndrome. No bonus dungeon.

The PS1 port is just crap and has loading times for the menus because it's basically running a proprietary SNES emulator on a Playstation, but the translation is also the most entertaining in the wrong way.

What's so bad about the PS1 translation? I was thinking about replaying FFV and the PS1 port is the only one I have. I see a little loading time as being preferable to poor quality music. I remember how GBA butchered FF6's soundtrack and made that definitely the worst way to play FF6.

Is the RPGe translation better than the PS1 port?

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

I thought this was supposed to be a bad translation. That's a good fitting name for those guys.

Since they're into butt humor, how odd that they didn't go with Butz.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

I'm playing FFV for the first time. I just got my first death from an enemy doing a LV 5 doom spell. Everyone is instantly dead. I love when games do that bullshit.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Mega64 posted:

Now have a Blue Mage learn it so you can do the same bullshit to a surprising amount of enemies.

I would never do something so cheap to the enemies as a Lv 5 doom spell. I'm better than that. That totally wouldn't be fair.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

TommyGun85 posted:

I found I had to grind more for money than for levels but whatever, thats just me.

In Dragon Quest, you don't buy everything. You just buy what you can afford. You avoid buying weapon for a character in one shop, then you'll be able to afford the best weapon in the next shop.

DQ8 is definitely not a game where you need to buy everything. The biggest flaw of the game was that it was the easiest DQ in the series.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

FFV developers were such assholes. I just ran into a regular enemy in the Fork Tower that hit me twice in one turn for 9999 damage each.

What the poo poo? Looking it up, I see that Flare counterattacks any non-magic hit with two 9999 attacks. What a coincidence you meet this guy on the part of the game that only lets you have two characters. If he only attacked once a turn, then you could survive and learn from your mistake. Why does he attack twice? lol

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Nihilarian posted:

It's almost as though you're not supposed to melee monsters on that side of the tower.

How were you supposed to know that before instantly dying?

It's not just this part though. There's the monster in the basement of a castle that's pretty much auto death, there's this other castle in the middle of your path that entering it is auto death, there's enemies that do Lv 5 death which killed my entire party instantly. You have to save a lot with this game.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Looper posted:

One of the guards in that first castle straight up tells you to stay the hell out of the basement

Well yeah, but come on, every player is going to go there anyway. Some of the time the people in a RPG tell you not to leave the first town because there's monsters outside.

I just thought that sentence meant he was really really hard, not impossible.

Pureauthor posted:

I'm pretty sure the game tells you before you set out that one side is Magic-only and the other is Physical-only.

You're right. Someone in the nearby town says it. I didn't remember reading that. Still, two counter attacks of 9999 is a little overboard.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

bloodychill posted:

The stark contrast between silly but fun FF5 gameplay discussion and FF13's mind-numbing mythology over the past two pages is the best example I've seen of why it's so hard to give a poo poo about where FF is going these days.

We need to discuss Ex-Death disguising himself as a splinter in Cara's foot alongside the FF13 gibberish nonsense.

Not if the talking turtle has anything to say about it!

some bust on that guy fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Dec 12, 2014

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

The game's pretty explicit about the whole "on this side use magic, on the other side use physical" and so yeah when you break the rules fork tower breaks you. It's like complaining that you can't beat Whelk in FF6 because once he goes in his shell his counter attacks keep killing you.

Except you're told during the battle and Whelk doesn't instantly kill your party. In FFV, someone in a nearby town tells you. The last time I went to that town was when the tower still had the barrier up and before I got the second tablet. That was maybe a week ago for me.

Of course I don't mean this to be a big complaint. I only lost 30 seconds of game time when I died. I'm liking FFV a lot. It was just something I found funny. He had to attack two times for 9999, not just once, and this monster had to be on this one part that only allowed you to have two characters.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

J-Spot posted:

For popular series reviewers tend to temper their scores based on general gamer sentiment, so public opinion on the series has to turn before they can give it poor reviews. The next game in the series then has points deducted for being associated to the previous game.

Isn't that what happened with Resident Evil 6? RE5 was beloved by reviewers and mixed with fans. Then RE6 came out with the same problems as RE5, and the reviewers ripped it to pieces.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Dragon Quest shines with it's sad melancholic music.

I prefer these to all sad FF music except for To Zanarkand.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR1kvUHtI_U Days of Sadness - DQ7
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIXq2SnwqiU Elegy - DQ4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UHjVnNLnYc&t=75s - Small Shrine (1:15 on video) - DQ3

It also has better epic world music (As it should)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjfdQYo-G_I Heavenly Flight - DQ8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22E-D7wG_GI Endless World - DQ2

DQ typically has really really poor battle music though.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Kaubocks posted:

I've been playing a lot of Theatrhythm this weekend. It's putting me in a serious Final Fantasy mood. In the grand scheme of things I've played very few Final Fantasy games-- pretty much just 7, 10, and 10-2. I hear some of them are dated and some of them are just plain bad, but I really kinda want to just... play them all. From 1 to whatever the gently caress 13 is at, from start to finish. Likely skip 11 and 14 because I don't even remotely care about MMOs.

I've had a number of people tell me that 1-3 are objectively kinda trash these days with barely any story. Should I really just not bother with those and start at 4? I feel like that kinda defeats the purpose of exploring all the Final Fantasies I never played but if they're just kinda junky barebones "go here and kill this guy then go kill another guy" stories then I could probably live with skipping them.

You should start at 4. The series really starts at 4. Also, don't play the SNES version or the PS1 version. The SNES one has a poor translation and dumbed down difficulty, the PS1 has loading. Get the DS version.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Kaubocks posted:

Wait hmm I just remembered poo poo like Crystal Chronicles exists and suddenly the idea of playing all the FF games seems tedious as gently caress. I might just have to pick and choose which spinoff games I play alongside the mainline games.

You can't forget about Final Fantasy Mystic Quest and Final Fantasy Adventure. I prefer FFMQ to many of the main games in the series.

How's about this. Play 5 hours of each, and if you're not feeling it, you don't have to continue. Only I think FFX gets drastically better after the first 5 hours.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Nihilarian posted:

Chrono Cross is the quite possibly the most beautiful game on the PS1 and it has exactly one song on it's OST that isn't The Best. Play it.

That one song (the battle theme) is the one you hear the most and is so terrible, it makes you put the TV on mute though.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Boten Anna posted:

Remember that a lot of conventional wisdom to us as to what the "good" or "popular" Final Fantasies are are totally different in Japan; IV is a huge developer favorite and VI's reception was lukewarm, whereas here VI tends to be revered as one of the best games ever and IV as pretty good but in few fans' top 3. Lo and behold, IV got a thorough and beautiful remake and remaster, while VI got an OK GBA port and a lovely mobile port. I totally didn't know how much Mass Effect borrowed from Spirits Within but it makes complete sense, as does western devs in general taking cue from the things in the series that didn't resonate with Japanese players but are huge in the Western fanbase and running with them.

That always made more sense to me. IV had a much more exciting story than VI. It's big plot twist after plot twist. You're attacked in a castle and lose, your best friend betrays you and steals your girlfriend, your ship gets destroyed and you lose all of your friends, you end up at the worse possible place - the city you attacked in the beginning, you seek forgiveness, two kids in your party turn to stone, Tellah sacrifices himself, your best friend is on your side again, you have to go underground, holy poo poo the girl from the beginning is an adult now and was raised by monsters. VI had the world ending and some good parts too but they're separated by many very slow spots. World of Ruin has good atmosphere but is mostly boring. The main villain just sits and waits while you walk around. Each character usually has one brief development scene in WoR, then they're never heard from again. Character interaction between the whole cast after you get the airship is non-existent in WoR. Also, VI is too easy compared to IV.

Japan has it right. IV needs a better HD remake. VI should continue to get nothing.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Gammatron 64 posted:

The best Final Fantasy game is Final Fantasy ___X____. The worst one is Final Fantasy ____V____. This is an objective fact and if you disagree you are literally retarded and human trash

Filled in your blanks with the correct words.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

If Aeris is called Aerith in the VA, we have no need for this remake Square Enix. We don't want it. Don't even bother.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Wait a minute, there's really going to be a Nier 2? Why are people talking about FF7 then? Who gives a flying gently caress about FF7 in light of this news?

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Nihilarian posted:

they're probably really excited for it in the Nier thread

We play Final Fantasy here.

We talk about other Square Enix RPGs and Square Enix as a whole sometimes here. (In fact those are the best posts of this thread: Sunning posts) Every RPG thread should be celebrating.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

HD DAD posted:

After re-reading this past page, I remember that they really did have some fairly nuanced characters for a video game in 1997. Whether that was intentional or just pure dumb luck is whole other question.

Also, second only to people forgetting Cloud was actually kind of a goofball is everyone forgetting that Aerith was kind of a sassy tomboy weirdo. Somehow over the years in the collective memory she got turned into the "pure-hearted magical girl". If anything, that was more Tifa.

Could it be because you don't see much of Aeris's sassy tomboy weirdo side after Midgar? I can't remember if you ever see it at all after Midgar. The most striking image of Aeris is her praying while she gets stabbed. The battles are also at odds with that characterization. Most people remember Tifa being the badass girl that kicks robots to death while Aeris is the girl you use for healing.

Having played it a few years ago, I still don't think of Cloud as a goofball. Was it just "Let's mosey"? I always chalked that up to weird translation since I didn't remember him saying anything else like that.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

fronz posted:

is Nier fun

It's a great game but fun is probably not the best way to describe it. It's an experience. One every gamer must have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Golden Goat posted:

Nier is a thing. I love it but I can't honestly suggest it to somebody cause the gameplay is insanely boring and the first half of the game is kind of a slog at points.

Also it's a completionist trap. Never attempt to do all the sidequests.

Why exactly is the gameplay insanely boring? At least it's fast. Groups of enemies could be repetitive but you could get rid of them quickly with 1 or 2 moves. I'm playing FF9 now and it's battles are way more boring and torturous. It's much more of a slog. The last game I played before FF9 was Xenoblade and that had me missing Nier's speed and how short the battles were.

some bust on that guy fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jun 23, 2015