Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
While we are on the topic of art, I took a picture of my old Versus Books FFVII guide poster last night for the FFVII LP Thread. Thought you guys might enjoy it as well. Bonus: Wild Arms 2 poster!

Click for huge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Pablo Gigante posted:

Square Enix announced Final Fantasy Dimensions for iOS and Android, which is probably a port of that cellphone game Warriors of Light and Darkness since it has the same logo. Was that game supposed to be good? It has a job system and everything so I'm excited for it :)

Some sources say it's possibly a port of this:

http://www.square-enix.co.jp/mobile/ff/ffl/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLG0Ooa2yYM

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

This is no joke. I installed this a day or two after it was released and it's seriously night and day. It will make you fall in love with FFT all over again.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Allan Assiduity posted:

Looks like I'll need to get custom firmware on my PSP, as the lag is one of the reasons why I never get very far in War of the Lions.

Absolutely get that custom firmware. I remember reading ages ago that the lag was "unfixable" so I was leery at first. When the intro battle fired up and the first few attacks were dished out I immediately said, "Oh boy, I'm in some real trouble here." and then all of a sudden the sun was rising.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Krad posted:

This is really good. I need to figure out how to install it on my PSP eventually.

Now, if they could only fix the music...

It's been awhile since I fired it up, but what's wrong with the music?

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Final Fantasy VII has been in the Steam registry for ages, but apparently Square-Enix has just registered finalfantasyviipc.com. This could get interesting.

http://www.networksolutions.com/whois-search/finalfantasyviipc.com

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Pablo Gigante posted:

Thanks, I may take you up on that if I get stuck :) Just beat Liquid Flame in four turns since I got Shiva.

You could have done it in 2 with frost rods!

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Breaking from the FFV Fiesta chat - there was an update in the whole http://www.finalfantastyviipc.com domain registered to Square Enix in the past day. This was caught briefly by several people (and Google cache) before the site locked down requiring login credentials:

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Here is an updated version of the site all thanks to Gibbed! http://gib.bo.lt/finalfantasyviipc

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

ImpAtom posted:

The GBA version is by far the best. The only thing the SNES version has going for it is nostalgia and slightly better sound.

And there are even romhacks out there to bring the SNES sound back.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I'm having a lot of fun trying out the various jobs in FF5. But, are there any jobs (I'm up to the third set of them, so the newest ones I have are geomancers/beastmasters/ninja) that aren't worth the time at all?

EDIT: Oh, and any other random tips/things to look out for would be nice too.

Geomancers will have a very good use (for a very short time) later when you are forced to walk through a bit of lava, as they cause the whole party to take no damage from floor types. They do have free magic, but it's location specific so may not always be the best option.

Berserkers can be very good, but I wouldn't use them on a first playthrough.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Fister Roboto posted:

Here's something odd I just noticed in FFTactics. The picture for Riovanes Castle:

is the bridge Pont Neuf that leads into downtown Toulouse, France:

which is where I grew up. Quelle coincidence.

I'll be honest - I can't see the similarity in these pictures at all. They both contain bridges I guess?

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

CottonWolf posted:

I think Tactics is the better game, but I know the iOS version was horribly broken from framerate issues. I haven't played it since launch, so maybe they've fixed that with updates now, but it's definitely worth checking before you commit your dollars.

In my opinion FFT on the go is absolutely worth the price of a used PSP (I've seen them go for $50 on SA Mart) and the sub $10 price of the game. With the slowdown/lag fix it's the ultimate version of the game.

Edit: Not to mention the dozens of other great games for the system!

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

All the "HD" packs for FF7 PC are garbage. Just play the PSX version.

Play it on the PSP - it still looks drat good on the smaller screen. And it's portable!

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Barudak posted:

The PSP version (post unofficial patch, oh dear god post patch) has a re-written script and some additional content. If you love FF Tactics and want a little bit more of it then yeah, get War of the Lions. Otherwise you're fine just using the original version.

And the slowdown has been fixed. It's the best version out there.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

The White Dragon posted:

Wasn't the actual story that they just had a nerd meltdown, dumped the project under the guise of a C&D, and used that to play up interest for their dead project that they never gave to anyone?

Yeah, except for the fact Crimson Echoes exists, and I have played it. Maybe 5 hours in so far. It's very tough, but actually pretty good.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
ATB looks fun, but the pricing is out of control. I don't mind paying $4 for the game, but if you want to get all the characters it's an additional $35. Not only that, the character you receive at $1 a pop is random (it will be a new character every purchase so you don't receive duplicates, but it's still random). It would be fun to drop $1 on a Sabin character for a sweet suplex move, but to only have a 1/35 chance of getting him? No thanks. Additional worlds are also $4 each.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I don't know if the FFT PSP slowdown was intentional or just laziness, but it has been fixed by a fan on PSPs running custom firmware. It doesn't matter if you are using an ISO or the physical UMD. It brings the game to the level it should have been from the start, and it's incredible.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Don't forget the fast forward/auto attack feature for battles in the FFIV PSP version. It was very handy when running around with weaker enemies. If FFV got the same sprite/music/mechanic treatment it would be a day 1 purchase.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Dross posted:

I don't like having so many options that I can't reliably decide which one is going to be fun enough to compel me to continue playing the game.

The same applies to having a huge backlog of games and not being able to decide which one to play.

Chooser's Dilemma is a very real and well researched thing.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I have never spent more than $2 for a mobile app before, but you guys are making Dimensions sound pretty drat awesome. Sounds like the job system is pretty deep.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Dross posted:

I don't get this sentiment. Is it just because the text is high res, like how video at 60 fps looks cheap/homemade because you're used to professional projects being made at film's 24fps?

The text boxes are awful. I didn't rename any characters, but the te
xt still looks like this and it drives me crazy. It never pushes the wh
ole word but cuts it in half all the time.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Dross posted:

IIRC that's caused by letting the screen shut off while the game is running. If you exit the application and restart it, it should fix it.

I do pick it up and put it down often, so that could be it. Thanks for the heads up, I'll keep an eye out for that pattern.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I must suck at getting Fusions in Dimensions - I have one: Magic Bomb.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Barudak posted:

Without a guide you're not likely to get most of them. About half of them require the summoner class + something else and the other ones require really high level skills and abilities that you would probably never keep on the same character much less use them often enough to have them trgger.

You're right - I finally just took a glance at a list, and they are all high level skills, some from classes I don't even have yet. No rush I guess.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Shaezerus posted:

Dancer. Dancer is just plain bad. Its only use is for building toward Phantom Rush, and maybe one other Fusion, I forget.

I got the Dancer's Veil dance by backtracking through three rifts, and it adds an image to every party member. It makes any physical bosses a joke.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Last Emperor posted:

I really need to play Tactics, the only one of that series I've played is A2 and I really did enjoy it.

If you have a PSP I recommend getting it for that. There is a patch you can install to fix the slowdown. I haven't tried the iOS version, but I prefer physical buttons for my gaming (for 40+ hour games that is).

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
If only these were real:

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Krad posted:

Then the V haters must be the least vocal group out of all the people that hate FF#. Every time it's brought up, people always praise it and its gameplay.

How can I hate it when it's used to raise money for charity? I always love doing the FFV runs every June for the Four Job Fiesta.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I took a screenshot or two when trying out the mod awhile ago. I don't recall the swearing being that common.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of FFV, it's on sale for $10 on the Google Play Android store at the moment. Not sure about iOS, but I imagine it has a similar discount. I've heard pretty good things about the updated enemy art and sprites.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Also something worth mentioning about FFXIV - your chocobo can fight along side you and learn moves of its own.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Hedera Helix posted:

You can't just say that without posting a link.

I assume it's this classic:

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Pasteurized Milk posted:

My dad is the airship from Final Fantasy IV.

Constantly getting his holes plugged by a man named Cid?

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Griever posted:

Bravely Default is the best Final Fantasy since XII - with the best job system since V. If you have a 3DS it's definitely worth picking up if you want a modern version of a more classic style of FF.

Apparently all it took to make FF good again was to change the name and not let the FF veterans at squeenix anywhere near it (except the art guy as it's a lot like FFT aesthetically which I love).

The demo for NA comes out on January 2nd, which I believe has 15+ hours of gameplay. This is totally separate from the main game, but some things transfer over.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

dis astranagant posted:

FFT doesn't have 4:3 images, they're 16:15 which looks even shittier when stretched to the psp's 16:9.

I think the same guy that created the FFT PSP slowdown fix also fixed the stretching. I have played with both fixes in place and it looks incredible.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

WAS THIS SO HARD SQUARE ENIX?

If it wasn't for Bravely Default they would never get my money again.

Woah man what crappy translation did you play as a kid?

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

ShadowedFlames posted:

This. Dear God, this. I still claim FF6 as my all-time favorite game, but there's no way I'm going to play that eye-jarring excuse of a port.

Besides, if Blitz inputs are arrows only now, how the gently caress is one supposed to do X Y Down Up to suplex the train?

By pressing X, Y, Down, and then Up?

Edit: Nevermind, just looked at the picture again. Huh.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I thought they saved the world for delicious hotdogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

ImpAtom posted:

The script is much better and more coherent and it has extra content but the gameplay has slowdown. If you're just playing for the gameplay, the original is probably the way to go. If you're playing for the story too then get the PSP version.

The slowdown was fixed a year or so back by a fan patch. You need custom firmware to install it, but it makes the PSP version the best version.