Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

CatBus posted:

Here is a picture of the programmable fuel gauge for the Scout Truck. That is a fiasco situation, and I hope it works when I get a chance to install it.

I'm sorry but having a working fuel gauge in a Scout is blasphemy.

CatBus posted:

There were a ton of crazy custom and limited edition Scout and Scout II trim packages. I'm glad I don't have anything special, but a diesel would have been nice. We need more Scouts around here! I know Trouser Chilli has one, and maybe Deleted.

Yeah, IH was so busy putting out Scouts in every possible special edition and combination that it's really hard to find two that are alike, so they're all special! Oh and that doesn't even include the aftermarket stuff like Midas and CVI put out.

The diesel is ok, I wouldn't mind having one myself but they can be a bit obnoxious to own. An example; a friend of mine has a 1980 turbodiesel that blew the alternator. The alternator isn't like a standard Delco 10si like you'd find in a gas Scout, but instead is an integrated unit with the vacuum pump (to run the brakes and poo poo), so a replacement was north of $400. And this guy is no dummy, he knows his way around Scouts and how to turn a wrench, but his back was up against the wall on this one. My suggestion was to convert to a 10si and run an electric vacuum pump, but ultimately he wanted to keep this one stock.

Anyway, here's a different friend of mine in his Cummins powered Scout playing in a mudhole about two weeks ago. If you want a diesel Scout, I really think this is the way to go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpvpymsV_bg

Coming back, he stalls it when the airfilter soaks down and shreds itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRrAkmT29-k

trouser chili fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jun 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

CatBus posted:

Trouser Chili: The problem with *every* first generation Scout's fuel gauge dying is that there was some bizarro decision to use a non-standard sender/gauge. It is a 73 ohms empty, 10 ohms full, LINEAR setup. Apparently everyone else used a non-linear scale, and none of the senders or gauges will work. Hopefully the programmable one can figure it out, otherwise I lost a $120 gamble.

Scout II has the same or similar problem, which is why my gauge reads 3/4 when full, and E when I still have five gallons left. That's ok though, cause five gallons is lucky to get me fifty miles, so it's prudent to fill up again anyway. Also, the gauge decides to just check out for a while here and there as well. Why it does this I don't know, but I know the low-reading is because of a generic sending unit hooked to the IH gauge. I actually have a genuine NOS Scout II sending unit, but it doesn't want to fit in my aftermarket poly tank, so it sits on the shelf being useless on top of a bunch of other parts being useless. I love how owning a Scout means also owning an ever-growing pile of parts.

Anyway, planning on Nats this year?

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

CatBus posted:

I am planning to attend Nationals this year. Hopefully I'll drive the 1966 Scout up there. Hopefully. Are you going?

I don't know yet, if I do I probably won't drive the Scout, costs too much in fuel and I've been hit hard this year with unexpected medical expenses.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

CatBus posted:

So, that doesn’t leave too much for the exterior. All that remains is:
1) Install bumpers
2) Install mirrors
3) Install roof rack
4) Refinish/install license plate rack
5) Install tail lights
6) Buff the crap out of everything.

Then it’s on to the interior! That’s progress. It is starting to look like a Scout again.

Do yourself a favor, if you are thinking about a carpet kit, don't do it.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

CatBus posted:

I have actually been kicking myself a little for building the floor and wheel wells, because I know an aftermarket carpet kit won't fit. If the aftermarket kits suck, maybe I shouldn't feel too bad? What have you seen/heard? Is there a good way to DIY carpet in a vehicle?

Here's my experience. The carpet gets wet and just holds moisture against the steel forever. The quality is just fine, if you do the sides of the truck behind the doors and the bed and the tailgate like mine, then it also impedes access to things like the holes for the top insert panels screws. The tailgate one impedes access to the wiring for the license plate. The bed floor itself isn't so bad, but the front carpets make replacing my hi/low switch difficult and has also completely covered my transmission access panel. They're just annoying and potentially harmful.

My favorite solution so far is what J. Roedel did in his truck "patches". It's body-colored rhino-lined on the floors and bed and regular body paint on the sides. Looks great, tough, doesn't hold moisture and you can hose it out if need be.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
I've never found my carpet to offer much heat/sound protection. The floor still gets unreasonably hot right above the mufflers, and driving the Scout is such a cacophony of sounds from every direction, especially with the hard top fitted with the interior beauty covers. I've found it's actually quietest with the soft top fitted and the sides and back rolled up. It's really loud with them down though. The only piece of carpet I actually enjoy in the truck is actually on the bed floor, and that's just because I sleep back there often.

trouser chili fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Oct 19, 2012

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

CatBus posted:

There is an IH Travelall, which shared all of the front sheetmetal, but had a longer wheelbase. They were kind of an IH version of the Suburban. I'm guessing that is what you saw.

I thinking it was a Traveler, not a Travelall. The Travelall was the big-body IH truck that shared no sheetmetal with the Scout. The Traveler was the 118-inch wheelbase Scout II with a fiberglass top (in either stationwagon or pickup body).

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

CatBus posted:

Saturday:
1) Cleaned garage (major task)

After:

You can always tell where a Scout has been parked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

CatBus posted:

Haha, yeah, that is from the 1966 Scout. It's crazy because it is a different transmission and transfer case (both of which I rebuilt), and it leaks everything out just like the old combo!

I'm pretty sure the leaks are designed in, that way you know it's got fluid in it.

• Locked thread