Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Subscribing for eventual Scout II goodness, and a side of 280ZX pain along the way. My wife had a '79 280ZX for a few years, which then went to my brother for a few years more; I quickly grew to loathe the following parts:

*Everything inside of the distributor
*Everything in the fuel system (SO MANY POSSIBLE LEAKS)
*That loving fan clutch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That looks like the exact same kit my brother and dad put in for the seats on the '79. Really came out nicely compared to the sun-beaten original seats.

FWIW, I also did the alternator twice on that car, and it had the master cylinder fail twice (once when my wife's mom took it to a shop, and then again two days before someone came to pick it up when we sold it). Alternator was easy, at least.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CatBus posted:

fuel woes

I hope yours ends up treating you better than ours did; at least half of the problems that car ever had were fueling related. If I'd kept it I probably would've ripped everything out other than the tank itself and plumbing in a brand new system and Megasquirting it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Now you are learning one of the reasons I wanted to do a MSnS on the 280ZX.

Obnoxiously the modules are painfully specific (i.e. I think almost all of them are one or two year only parts) and I never found one that wasn't poo poo. My dad and brother ended up getting a whole new distributor for it at one point.

The Scouts look good, though!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

What about liner + strategically placed rubber floormats where appropriate, at least to help with the heat issue?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That's one productive-as-hell update. Good work, man.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CatBus posted:

Sadly, fuel continually sloshed out past the gas cap on both days, and stained my paint :( I may just jamp a rag in there or something to keep that from happening.

Even on an older car this is something that shouldn't happen if everything is right - how old is the fuel cap? The only times I ever have encountered this on my GMC were either if I got the cap on crooked, or when the rubber seal on the original cap finally aged a little too much.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You'd be amazed :)

All the same it's good to see progress!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Anti-archival bump. That's the fun thing about older cars - even if you're the one doing the work, trying to keep track of "okay, now my brakes are from a '71, but this part is from a '77, and this one is from a 1980s model" is hard enough.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I've got nothing for you on the ignition side, I just want to say that those under car videos are cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

How loud is the rattle? My NB Miata rattled at idle in neutral with the clutch out, and it went until ~120k before the throwout bearing finally died of presumably unrelated causes.

• Locked thread