Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
If you are in Tokyo you should go to Role and Roll too. It's a cool spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

mikeycp posted:

If you are in Tokyo you should go to Role and Roll too. It's a cool spot.

Sure!

Where is it?

All I know about them is that they apparently printed some loving radical replays of Shadowrun that were basically Anime Shadowrun Charlie's Angels.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

ProfessorCirno posted:

Sure!

Where is it?

All I know about them is that they apparently printed some loving radical replays of Shadowrun that were basically Anime Shadowrun Charlie's Angels.

There are directions and a map somewhere on this page.
http://www.arclight.co.jp/r_r_s/aki/shop/

It's a bit of a hole in the wall, so it's not the easiest place to spot.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Davzz posted:

Endbreakers, Alshard, Sword World, Barna Kronika, Monster Maker Legend, Beast Bind, Night Wizard

I'll second Endbreakers and Sword World. SW has a lot of words and few pictures, though, just as a warning. Endbreakers I completely love.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
I just bought SO MANY GAMES THAT I CAN'T READ

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

ProfessorCirno posted:

Deets! おねがいします。

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

ProfessorCirno posted:

おめでとう、外人さん。:v:

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
So! I hit up Yellow Submarine (after going to the wrong Yellow Submarine twice) and Role and Roll.

Incidentally, of the two, I found Yellow Submarine to be bigger and have far more jTTGs. R&R had a lot more D&D stuff, and I think had some kinda official WotC thing going on. Yellow Submarine had a full section of old western stuff, like AD&D and first gen GURPS old. I enjoyed Yellow Submarine more, but then again, it was just plain bigger, so it had more to go through.

I can totally agree with the OP - there IS a sort of weird Galapagos thing going on. There was all of one single D20 supplement in both stores outside the actual D&D stuff. No Pathfinder that I could see. Call of Cthulhu seems more popular then D&D, excuse the obvious jokes, and both stores had a two or three Shadowrun books (SR4; I don't think SR5 has even been translated yet).

FEAR looked like the dominant system; lots of games appear to use it.

However the big winner of the west is Games Workshop. They had a fairly good chunk of Yellow Submarine's RPG section, were very prolific in the minis/figures Yellow Submarine store I went to on accident, and even some game books in Role and Roll. You can never escape the Space Marines, it would seem.

Overall RPGs seem to really pale in comparison to cards over here, at least from my (very) brief viewing. There's a LOT of anime card games - even a Touhou one - and I have no idea what any of their rules are, but a lot of them made me feel very shameful just to look at the pictures. God dammit Japan.

SO. The overall score. All but the two Meikyuus were from Yellow Submarine; a lot of these were used and/or on sale.

- Sword World 2.0 booklet. I don't think they even have the full book in print anymore; now it's just a rather small rulebook. This was super cheap so, even though it is indeed mostly words, I grabbed it.
- Some kinda Touhou game? Flipping though, it seemed to be all about Cirno. gently caress you. Don't judge me. gently caress you. gently caress you.
- Barna Kronika. One of the more expensive ones; couldn't find it used.
- Arianrhod. Used, dirt cheap.
- Double Cross second edition. Used, fairly cheap. I know it's on 3rd edition now...but it was also signed by the maker, so hey, why not.
- Alshard. Used, way cheap. I saw Alshard FF in Role and Roll, but...uh...well, to be honest, forgot to buy it. I'll probably get it later.
- Night Wizard! The exclamtion point is part of the name, I think. Used, very cheap. Of all the used books, this one shows actual wear and tear, but it's not like I'll be actually using it.
- Night Wizard! 2nd Edition. I think? I'm not sure what the first book actually is but it was like $5. Anyways, this one is a loving tome. On sale; STILL expensive.
- Meikyuu Kingdom! Two books. I have no idea what the are. They're both different and they have lots of pictures, at any rate. Neither on sale, neither SUPER expensive alone.

Overall cost: ~$100-$110

COULD NOT FIND: Endbreakers. Neither store was carrying it; I'm not sure if it's out of stock or out of print.
OTHER THEN THAT: The only Beast Bind I saw was I think a supplement and also like 40 bucks so nope. I completely forgot about Monster Maker Legend.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Sounds like quite a haul! Sword World 2.0 is divided into three small books. Each adding more content. Arianrhod is cool, (and a manga I help translate's newest chapter is devoted to it) though I admit only getting it originally because I mistook it for Alshard. The two Meikyuu books are likely the dungeon book and the kingdom book. Both are needed for play. Sad that you couldn't find Endbreakers, looking at Amazon.co.jp it looks like there's only a limited number available there.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
I mean, I cannot read Japanese, so a fair amount of this is just for the novelty of it.

I'm being cajoled to get Tokyo Nova (I saw a lot of it, seems fairly popular), and I might look for Monster Maker Legends, if I do go back.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Potsticker posted:

Endbreakers I completely love.
Are you personally familiar with it? Can you tell me more about it?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

ProfessorCirno posted:

There's a LOT of anime card games - even a Touhou one - and I have no idea what any of their rules are, but a lot of them made me feel very shameful just to look at the pictures. God dammit Japan.

There's three different touhou card games! You could probably use this link to figure out which one it was. Phantom Magic Vision is a M:tG clone, no one has any clue what Touhou Kontofu is, but if that was Rumbling Spell Orchestra, you should pick it up just because the rules are completely insane in the best way. It is a very unusual card game, to say the least, and if it were in English I would absolutely pick it up. The touhou wiki actually has a complete translation of the rulebook and every single card right there, so you could even play it! Slowly, with guides on the internet. But you could! If you wanted to spend money on a probably dead card game you can't read.

ProfessorCirno posted:

- Some kinda Touhou game? Flipping though, it seemed to be all about Cirno. gently caress you. Don't judge me. gently caress you. gently caress you.

Also you should post pictures of this in the touhou thread. I know you know which one.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
I THINK it was Phantom. I fidn't look hard because all the other anime games I've seen have had really creepy artwork.

Also, sadly, I A) don't know what thread you mean and B) will not have a scanner gor a long while, probably.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
As far as I know, we've only got one touhou thread. I could be wrong.

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Curses from all directions!
I must admit I'm kind of curious about Cirno RPG. Clearly, just focusing on one character was the way to go. Trying to accommodate them all just really, really gums up the works.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Davzz posted:

Are you personally familiar with it? Can you tell me more about it?

I should really do some sort of writeup about it some time. It's sort of my personal translation project, but I get distracted easily.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Potsticker posted:

I should really do some sort of writeup about it some time. It's sort of my personal translation project, but I get distracted easily.
Well, if you ever get around to it, be sure to drop a notice or something here.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

bahamut posted:

I must admit I'm kind of curious about Cirno RPG. Clearly, just focusing on one character was the way to go.

Just the idea of an entire RPG filtered through Cirno's belligerence-tinted glasses makes the idea grand, really.

quote:

Trying to accommodate them all just really, really gums up the works.

Oh, you have NO idea. I dunno if you remember me or the time I asked for your permission/blessing to make a modification/fixup of Tales of Phantasmal Land, but me and the friends working on it have considered dividing the GM materials into the playbook (with mechanics and chargen) and GM info (stat sheets for all---and we mean ALL---of the characters).

I'm pretty sure this experience is what the personal Hell of GMs everywhere is like. :v:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

InfiniteJesters posted:

Oh, you have NO idea. I dunno if you remember me or the time I asked for your permission/blessing to make a modification/fixup of Tales of Phantasmal Land, but me and the friends working on it have considered dividing the GM materials into the playbook (with mechanics and chargen) and GM info (stat sheets for all---and we mean ALL---of the characters).

I'm pretty sure this experience is what the personal Hell of GMs everywhere is like. :v:

Duh, you just use d20 FATE. Simple! :downs:

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

SirPhoebos posted:

Duh, you just use d20 FATE. Simple! :downs:

I briefly proposed using the Tri-Stat system to my GM-friend. I'm still not entirely sure why in retrospect and I'm glad he declined the idea. :v:

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Only three? I don't believe you.

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Curses from all directions!

InfiniteJesters posted:

I remember, yep! Honestly, if I'd have had my way, I'd have never statted out anyone unless I'd written an adventure that called for them to appear, in which case I could have statted them appropriately for that adventure. As opposed to giving everyone stats for stats sake, and then forcing people to try and tailor their adventures to accommodate the stats of the canon cast. I just got so drat many emails from people wanting canon character stats, that I cobbled some together, and in the end no one was pleased. As much as I'd love to encourage people to create characters/stats as required, it seems people just have a burning need to have statistics and things expressly defined.

Aside from an initial burst of productivity on the next version of Tale of Phantasmal Land, I haven't made too much progress since. Little bits here and there since. Largely because of Treasure Hunters, but ironically Treasure Hunters was originally just a way to test the new Spell Card resolution system I'd devised for Tale.

It's not the personal hell of GMs, so much as it is the personal hell of the design-inclined, I think. The designing and revising never seems to end!

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

DalaranJ posted:

Only three? I don't believe you.

Three published ones. The sky's the limit on amateur content or games only released once at comiket 10 years ago.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!
Andy's been meaning to send me some TRPG stuff that he thought might give me some inspiration and whatnot for ages. He finally got around to it, and was pretty clearly dumping some stuff before he moves to Japan (not that I mind) because yesterday I got a box with like 15 or so books. These include a doujin Utena RPG, a mini hack of BRP/Call of Cthulhu for romantic comedies (titled "When Our Eyes Met, a SAN Check"), and so on.

The one I'm most interested in is Working Witches:

The game concerns the everyday lives of people (male and female) with magic powers that they use to make a living. It's also card-based, and further appears to be one of the vanishingly rare Japanese GM-less RPGs. It's also about 40 pages, and generally has the feel of a zany Forge game as done in Japan. I'm hoping to find time to read it and do a writeup, though I've been insanely busy lately.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Ewen Cluney posted:

a doujin Utena RPG

:allears:

Even though what made Utena so good was all in the storytelling aspects and not somethingbthat could be codified into rules, this still piques my interest.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Ewen Cluney posted:

"When Our Eyes Met, a SAN Check"

:allears: Even though a cthulhu romcom game sounds awful, that is the perfect name for a cthulhu romcom game.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Ewen Cluney posted:

Andy's been meaning to send me some TRPG stuff that he thought might give me some inspiration and whatnot for ages. He finally got around to it, and was pretty clearly dumping some stuff before he moves to Japan (not that I mind) because yesterday I got a box with like 15 or so books. These include a doujin Utena RPG, a mini hack of BRP/Call of Cthulhu for romantic comedies (titled "When Our Eyes Met, a SAN Check"), and so on.

The one I'm most interested in is Working Witches:

The game concerns the everyday lives of people (male and female) with magic powers that they use to make a living. It's also card-based, and further appears to be one of the vanishingly rare Japanese GM-less RPGs. It's also about 40 pages, and generally has the feel of a zany Forge game as done in Japan. I'm hoping to find time to read it and do a writeup, though I've been insanely busy lately.

I got a box of stuff too, Meikyuu-related, but I think there might be some other things in here that I haven't checked yet. Maybe a Dreamcast full of mealworms? I'll crack it open at some point soon and root around.

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge

Ewen Cluney posted:

a mini hack of BRP/Call of Cthulhu for romantic comedies (titled "When Our Eyes Met, a SAN Check")

This sounds hilarious.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

gnome7 posted:

:allears: Even though a cthulhu romcom game sounds awful, that is the perfect name for a cthulhu romcom game.

It sounds great to me, but I can't take the Cthulhu Mythos as anything other than nerd schtick at this point.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Don't think of the mythos. IIRC it's only the system being used and the SAN checks are a complete real and accurate simulation of the teenage love experience.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!
I'll have to find time to read it (it's a pretty thin book), but I don't remember seeing any hint of actual Cthulhu stuff. It's surprising just how well-known Call of Cthulhu is with Japanese fans; I've seen the notion of SAN points even pop up in anime from time to time.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Ahhh, okay, I misunderstood. But yeah, Lovecraft seems surprisingly prominent in Japanese fandom, at least judging from the number of appearances in makes in videogames, manga and the like.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
But does the media it appears in grasp Lovecraft's concept of horror?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Tasoth posted:

But does the media it appears in grasp Lovecraft's concept of horror?

Well there was a two season anime recently where Nylathrotep, Hastur and others were kawaii animes who fell in love with a normal human boy.

EDIT: What I am saying is that there are horrors Lovecraft never dreamed of.

Potsticker fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Feb 12, 2014

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Ewen Cluney posted:

I'll have to find time to read it (it's a pretty thin book), but I don't remember seeing any hint of actual Cthulhu stuff. It's surprising just how well-known Call of Cthulhu is with Japanese fans; I've seen the notion of SAN points even pop up in anime from time to time.

I saw a TON of CoC in both Yellow Submarine and Roll&Role. It was probably the most prominent western RPG in both outside of D&D - and if you don't count all the much older stuff in Yellow Submarine, might've even outnumbered D&D there.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

So I've been toying around with some house rules for a Gust style RPG in Tenra, and I've been posting the occasional update about it to G+ but I know not everyone follows that (or me) so I'm posting a link here as well for comments. Here's a Google doc. Right now it's just some basic item creation rules but I'm planning on adding rules for reyvateil style song magic and atelier style skills consumable items.

Pillow Fort Squire
Jun 29, 2013

Ewen Cluney posted:

a mini hack of BRP/Call of Cthulhu for romantic comedies (titled "When Our Eyes Met, a SAN Check")

This sounds great. Why hasn't this made it's way into English yet?!

Bitchtits McGee
Jul 1, 2011

Pillow Fort Squire posted:

This sounds great. Why hasn't this made it's way into English yet?!

DiamondSutra posted:

The Touhou RPG "Flowers" cited above? I knew that guy from long, long ago: In the late 90s I went with my manga/game friends to help them out at the komike [...] and I stumbled across one of the most prized games in my collection: It's called "Me to Me ga Attara SAN Chekku!" or "When their eyes meet, roll a SAN check!"

Short answer: it's a doujin work from the better part of twenty years ago. Being posted about in here has probably decupled the number of people worldwide who even know it exists.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

You're missing the most important thing about this. When Our Eyes Met, a SAN Check, when googled with speech marks around it has exactly one result. That never happens.

Putting that aside for a moment, is there any way of getting hold of it in Japanese? I wouldn't even know where to look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

CottonWolf posted:

You're missing the most important thing about this. When Our Eyes Met, a SAN Check, when googled with speech marks around it has exactly one result. That never happens.

Putting that aside for a moment, is there any way of getting hold of it in Japanese? I wouldn't even know where to look.

Which is a post in another forum made a day after Ewen wrote his. :allears:

• Locked thread