Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

Roland Jones posted:

On the topic of Golden Sky Stories, I started looking at it again today, and I'm wondering if I just imagined it or if a preview for Mononoke Koyake was sent out; I swear I saw one at some point, but I can't find it in my email history. Am I imagining things or just not looking hard enough?

I'm also curious if there are any plans to translate the latter two expansions at some point. I'm particularly interested in the one that, according to an online summary, has things like centipede and spider henge and rules/guidelines for making different henge types.
The Mononoke Koyake preview isn't out yet. That's definitely something I want to get out of the way. On the plus side the two original settings are about ready to start layout (though each has one last piece of art left to go).

We definitely are planning to do the other two supplements at some point. Once we finally finish everything from the first Kickstarter, we're probably going to do a second Kickstarter for a proper print release of Mononoke Koyake (with a translation of the character options from the Touhou Yuuyake Koyake book as a stretch goal), and then something like one single KS for the two remaining books.

unseenlibrarian posted:

Shinobigami is apparently coming at some point in English, anyway.

http://shinobigami.com/
Yeah, Andy and Matt have been planning to release that once Ryuutama is all done with. There's probably still a while to go yet, but it's next in their queue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ewen Cluney posted:

The Mononoke Koyake preview isn't out yet. That's definitely something I want to get out of the way. On the plus side the two original settings are about ready to start layout (though each has one last piece of art left to go).

We definitely are planning to do the other two supplements at some point. Once we finally finish everything from the first Kickstarter, we're probably going to do a second Kickstarter for a proper print release of Mononoke Koyake (with a translation of the character options from the Touhou Yuuyake Koyake book as a stretch goal), and then something like one single KS for the two remaining books.

Huh, I wonder what I'm thinking of, then. One of the updates, maybe? I remember seeing a list of the different character types in it, with pictures and stuff, that might be it.

Also, there's a Touhou book for the game? I did not know that. Neat.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!
Yep:
http://shop.cokage.net/touhouyuukoya.html

It consists of two replays, some new character options, and writeups of all the Touhou characters at the time they did it. (IIRC some of the boss characters have attributes as high as 8 or 10, which is kinda nuts.) For copyright reasons we can't do the full thing, but Kamiya said we can use the actual game material, which includes writeups for shrine maidens and fairies as GSS character types.

The replays are pretty amusing. One player didn't know Touhou, so they played Riko from GSS who found herself in Gensokyo. Also one of the replays was about them helping Kaguya get a job so she can stop being a NEET, which is hilarious if you know a lot about Touhou fanon, and gibberish if you don't.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Ewen Cluney posted:

Yep:
http://shop.cokage.net/touhouyuukoya.html

It consists of two replays, some new character options, and writeups of all the Touhou characters at the time they did it. (IIRC some of the boss characters have attributes as high as 8 or 10, which is kinda nuts.) For copyright reasons we can't do the full thing, but Kamiya said we can use the actual game material, which includes writeups for shrine maidens and fairies as GSS character types.

The replays are pretty amusing. One player didn't know Touhou, so they played Riko from GSS who found herself in Gensokyo. Also one of the replays was about them helping Kaguya get a job so she can stop being a NEET, which is hilarious if you know a lot about Touhou fanon, and gibberish if you don't.

Oh man I need to get this ASAP. I bought a bunch of GSS and Witch Quest (and Witch Quest/GSS crossover) stuff from that site but I skipped the Touhou book because I thought it was just a replay (in my defense it does say 'Replay' on the cover). I should have read the summary, since it says right in there that it has new classes and character data.

Edit: I also sometimes consider ordering Nechronica from that site but then I remember the one time I casually flipped it open and looked inside at an RPG store and Tokyo and just the memory of the images I saw in there make me regret even thinking of picking it up. It's a huge crying shame that such an interesting and unique system (I've played it a few times with the Japanese TRPG club I'm in over here) has to be full of a bunch of nasty guro lolicon images. I'm pretty sure I'd go on an FBI watchlist if I bought that and tried to take it back into America.

Getsuya fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jul 14, 2015

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Speaking of Golden Sky Stories, you know what fanmade class it needs?

Totoro

It'd be pretty easy to stat out (well, I mean everything is easy to stat out in GSS just make up 6 magic powers and 6 strength/weakness pairs). The only problem I can see with having them as playable characters is that every player would want to play one every session.

Edit: If we can stat out a Totoro class I will totally run a PbP thread for an all-Totoro game.

Edit2: I can't be the only/first one to think this is a good idea considering tons of the English PR for this game mentions both Miyazaki and Totoro specifically as things people should imagine when picturing this game.

Getsuya fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jul 27, 2015

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Henge are expected to be able to hang out with humans in their animal or fully-human forms without causing Surprise, though.

From the sound of things, totoro might be best run using the mononoke book, but that isn't out in English yet.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

inklesspen posted:

Henge are expected to be able to hang out with humans in their animal or fully-human forms without causing Surprise, though.

From the sound of things, totoro might be best run using the mononoke book, but that isn't out in English yet.

Correct. According to the Mononoke Koyake book mononoke henge cause their henge level +1 surprise to anyone who sees their true form or their magic powers.

I think the proper way to do an all-Totoro game would be to have them trying to work happy magic stealthily somewhere. Like they watch over the village and sneak out of the forest at night to spread joy or resolve things, and they have connections with the human folks but the humans don't know who or what their magical benefactors are, they're just grateful for what they do. And once their connection with the town levels up, you have kids or people in trouble coming out to the forest and calling for help from the magical guardians and even though they're surprised when the players first show up they've come to know them as friendly spirits so slowly a few humans overcome that and become friends with the players.

That sort of thing.

Edit: Something that could help with this style is if one of the traits a Totoro can choose is 'tiny', like the little one in the movie. In exchange for not being able to do anything that requires physical strength (so it can run but it can't lift or push etc) it's small enough that it can enter homes and follow people around without being seen.

Edit2: VVV I was thinking 'Summon Nekobus' would be one of the Totoro basic spells.

Getsuya fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jul 27, 2015

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
I want to play a nekobus.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

I need more Tokyo Nova in my life, which to say any Tokyo Nova at all.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

inklesspen posted:

I want to play a nekobus.

This is the correct answer. Totoro is not the problem. Nekobus is.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Traveller posted:

I need more Tokyo Nova in my life, which to say any Tokyo Nova at all.

I'd actually like to see how well this works in a PbP. One thing that bugs me about FEAR games in realtime is they like splitting the party to have different people going different places researching different things all at once, which would be much easier to handle in a format where everyone just posts up what they're doing and the GM responds to each (using PMs to control what information each player gets their hands on) in one go instead of needing to take everyone one by one and resolve their scenes in order. You'd just need a way to simulate drawing cards and having a hand rather than rolling dice, but a simple 1d52 roll anytime someone needs to draw a card, with a table set up representing what number equals what card, might work. I say might because I'm not sure how much Tokyo Nova and Terra the Gunslinger are balanced around having specific numbers of each card available. Terra would get pretty broken if there were a ton of Aces floating around, but the numbers are more sane in Nova so I don't think it would matter if people could draw multiple copies of the same card.

Just so long as the GM makes sure to give any important bad guy kamiwaza protection. I dunno what FEAR's obsession with giving all their games 'once per session you can kill one thing of your choice' skills is, but most climactic battles I have experienced in Nova have started with the GM and players expending all their kamiwaza to eventually break even (aside from the GM feeding the players a few insta-killable mooks that he put there specifically to eat the players' insta-kill moves) and then the actual battle begins with normal skills and rolls.

(though honestly I like the kamiwaza system better than the godawful Terra the Gunslinger system of power chips where last battles boil down to 'so the boss can expend one chip to avoid taking lethal damage any time he's attacked, how many chips does he have again? Over 20? Oh, well we're all on our last few so... cool, I guess. Say good-bye to 4 hours as we pointlessly attack just to whittle down his stupid get out of death free pool')

I can throw together a translation of at least the character creation stuff once I'm back in the States (kind of hectic with packing right now) since I plan to do that for all the Japanese TRPGs I own so I can play them with folks in the US, but you'll need someone who can just straight up read the Japanese rules to GM the game if you want to play.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

I can read Japanese more or less and translate, so anything is welcome. I just want to be Future Shield-Toting Dick Tracy.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Woah what edition are those from?

I'd love to play some Tokyo Nova as well, if anyone puts something together. Though I only have the latest edition (Axleration).

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

inklesspen posted:

Well, to an extent with the animal forms thing; cats, dogs, and such don't cause surprise, but foxes and tanuki do, for example. That one varies.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Getsuya posted:

Woah what edition are those from?

I'd love to play some Tokyo Nova as well, if anyone puts something together. Though I only have the latest edition (Axleration).

Those are from Revolution Revised and Detonation, as well as these.

These are from Revolution and Revolution Revised.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
So, I just got Ryuutama from RPGNow's Christmas in July sale and it seems really great. I'm just having a hard time imagining my current group of friends wanting to play it, but I definitely want to run it at some point.

Also, just looking at the Merchant, I can imagine this game being run as Recettear the tabletop RPG, where the PCs just travel from one town to another, buying goods when they're cheap and selling them for an insane profit in other towns.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
So, I'm running a Double Cross game and I'm wondering if anyone can clear something up for me. Namely, what is the point of Troops? Don't they tend to be groups of regular humans, and therefore vulnerable to Warding? There are a lot of powers that enhance Troops, but can't any PC defeat an arbitrary number of Troops without any cost or risk due to them becoming extras?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Ratpick posted:

Also, just looking at the Merchant, I can imagine this game being run as Recettear the tabletop RPG, where the PCs just travel from one town to another, buying goods when they're cheap and selling them for an insane profit in other towns.

Yup. If I was to play it I'd probably do a merchant whose goal for his "journey" is simply to just amass enough money to settle down, find a wife, and open his own store.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

Kaza42 posted:

So, I'm running a Double Cross game and I'm wondering if anyone can clear something up for me. Namely, what is the point of Troops? Don't they tend to be groups of regular humans, and therefore vulnerable to Warding? There are a lot of powers that enhance Troops, but can't any PC defeat an arbitrary number of Troops without any cost or risk due to them becoming extras?

If the Troops are human, yes! But there are a couple of stats for Overed/Gjaum Troops in the core book as well.

However, you might want to give rare anti-Warding technology to a human Troop, especially if they're from an anti-Overed agency or organization in the first place. We know it's not impossible, since if I recall correctly, there's example of anti-Warding gear in the Equipment chapter. It'll be a nice what-the-gently caress moment for the players, and for their characters: the resource you've been relying on to avoid fighting human has just failed, and now you've got to make a decision about how you'll deal with non-powered folk. I think it's a great curveball if you don't abuse it.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
Thanks! In return, here is a chart I threw together to help visualize the benefits of dice/critical value improvements. Wasn't able to find one already made. I really should have calculated the median rather than the average, as this is somewhat thrown off by huge values on the upper end.

EDIT: Here's the median results

Kaza42 fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jul 30, 2015

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

I've gotten interested in Double Cross and I'm reading through the rulebook and I've got a question...does anyone have any good descriptions or illustrations of Gjaum. The book seems to be oddly coy about showing them. You've got a few torn up Gjaum on the cover, a couple of shoulders in the initial comic and some vaguely weird looking people on page 352.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Gjaum can basically look like anything, from normal but with crazy eyes, to full on weird mutated freakshows. Or giant robots :v:

Public Enemy has a few boss templates, and IMO they're all good as depictions of gjaums.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

oriongates posted:

I've gotten interested in Double Cross and I'm reading through the rulebook and I've got a question...does anyone have any good descriptions or illustrations of Gjaum. The book seems to be oddly coy about showing them. You've got a few torn up Gjaum on the cover, a couple of shoulders in the initial comic and some vaguely weird looking people on page 352.

Gjaums are described very vaguely so you can insert your favorite shounen villain archetypes into them.

Of course, the real answer is "depict them however you like", but here's some suggestions based on the common tropes of the genre: most Gjaums should look humanoid with animal/plant/inanimate/whatever features, and powerful Gjaum can be bigger, from 10 feet to giant-monster level. The most powerful of all should look just like human beings, no weird features at all (except when manifesting Syndromes). Gjaums with non-humanoid bodies are rare and usually serve specific story purposes.

Cyphoderus fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Aug 11, 2015

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
On the subject of Double Cross, Ver Blue is apparently taking a long sabbatical from further work due to health concerns.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I've got it! Animal Crossing Golden Sky Stories.

Every character is a henge and the players are working to pay off a debt to Tom Nook. Instead of increasing connections to get their powers, connections supply players with an income of Bells. Doing good around town can boost their connections with the other residents as well as granting them either bells or a random piece of furniture from a random loot table generated using an Animal Crossing wiki/strategy guide. Each player has a house in which to assemble sets of furniture, and completed sets grant in-game bonuses. It's brilliant.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
You are a bad person and you should feel bad.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I laughed.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

inklesspen posted:

You are a bad person and you should feel bad.

Nah. I didn't even feel a twinge of guilt when I introduce my 'in-app purchases' system to the campaign; for a premium rate the players can pay me cash for extra bells in the game! I also made a catalog for them with several furniture sets available for direct purchase!

Next month I plan to introduce character cards they can purchase to get me to bring all their favorite Animal Crossing NPCs into the campaign!

I wonder how much they'll shell out for Isabelle...

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I'll shell out $10 for Bob.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Cyphoderus posted:

Gjaums are described very vaguely so you can insert your favorite shounen villain archetypes into them.

Of course, the real answer is "depict them however you like", but here's some suggestions based on the common tropes of the genre: most Gjaums should look humanoid with animal/plant/inanimate/whatever features, and powerful Gjaum can be bigger, from 10 feet to giant-monster level. The most powerful of all should look just like human beings, no weird features at all (except when manifesting Syndromes). Gjaums with non-humanoid bodies are rare and usually serve specific story purposes.

So, Tokukatusu/Power Rangers/Kamen Rider/etc. villains?

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Xelkelvos posted:

Yes, yes, and yes.

For example

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Anyone knows what's the system used on the original Chaos Dragon (or Red Dragon) playing sessions? I made the anime's thread on ADTRW a while ago and got curious about the system since it was a homebrew.

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Aug 13, 2015

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

Absolutely! But this idea, that you get more monstrous as you get more powerful, then at some point become so powerful that you cycle back again into looking normal, is prevalent in shounen anime/manga as well, which DX tries to emulate more than tokusatsu. Freeza's successive transformations in DBZ are the quintessential example, I think.

I love this idea that the super villain is the unassuming guy in a suit and glasses, while the flaming pterosaur cyborg is actually his second-in-command.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Anyone knows what's the system used on the original Chaos Dragon (or Red Dragon) playing sessions? I made the anime's thread on ADTRW a while ago and got curious about the system since it was a homebrew.

If it's homebrew, doesn't that mean there's no system?

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Potsticker posted:

If it's homebrew, doesn't that mean there's no system?

Yep. This. Looking around at the Japanese sites they say that it was a one-off custom-made system specifically for this game. However, sometime this year they will be releasing a 'storytelling boardgame' based on the franchise, which sounds kind of like one of those D&D board game hybrid things.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ya its because I do remember being Lodoss books of that kind and such.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Watching the show amd reading some of the replay the system itself doesn't seem super important. Like its just part of the IP building blitz. The cellphone game by the way has a really terrible rating, so it sounds like the whole project isn't really doing that well. The anime is fairly terrible, but I don't know any numbers for that or anything else.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Potsticker posted:

Watching the show amd reading some of the replay the system itself doesn't seem super important. Like its just part of the IP building blitz. The cellphone game by the way has a really terrible rating, so it sounds like the whole project isn't really doing that well. The anime is fairly terrible, but I don't know any numbers for that or anything else.

The anime is a beautiful flower in a garden of weeds, don't you try to fool these people! Also, yeah, from what I understand the "game" format was that there was a GM team for the original Red Dragon project that ran one session with each character as the highlight and made replays out of that, which later inspired the anime production.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Did you finally start enjoying it, faxman? The first two episodes are rough, but once Kagrava gets introduced it becomes a much better show.

Still not really a good show, but I'm not dragging my feet on keeping up with it like Rokka, which is sort of a similar thing except its based on an LN and not a TRPG session.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Kagraba and Luo are cool but oh god the anime is so loving dull when it's not about those two. Also Overlord gives a better TRPG feel even though it's based on MMO crap.

• Locked thread