Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Kwyndig posted:

Tenra is a great game but the way it's set up really doesn't work for long term play. You can rewrite that, but it's a good chunk of work getting the new balance correct. Demimonde the Persona-inspired supplement which still isn't out yet promises to be both simpler to set up and more suited to long term play. We'll see though.

It's definitely designed for a single weekend-long session (in my experience, you'd be hard pressed to run a full TBZ story in a single 3-5 hour session, particularly with the Zero Act and the suggested full five-act structure with intermissions) but as long as the PCs were on the ball about sublimating fates and/or happy to have characters leave play and new ones enter the story, I see no reason why you couldn't run a traditional campaign in TBZ. It definitely wants to be a story though, so I'm not sure how you'd run a sandbox game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Decided to try to get a group together for a series of Tenra Bansho Zero scenarios. For the interested.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Covok posted:

Decided to try to get a group together for a series of Tenra Bansho Zero scenarios. For the interested.

This would very much be for me, but the timing isn't really good for me (I generally work 4 to midnight). Otherwise I'd jump on it.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
There isn't any way to buy the Saikoro Fiction games as PDFs, is there?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Dumb question, but does the DriveThruRPG version of Tenra Bansho Zero consist of 4 PDFs? I ordered the physical bundle from IndiePressRevolution, but it only comes with 3. There's supposed to be an illustrated version of the rulebook, right?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

mycot posted:

Dumb question, but does the DriveThruRPG version of Tenra Bansho Zero consist of 4 PDFs? I ordered the physical bundle from IndiePressRevolution, but it only comes with 3. There's supposed to be an illustrated version of the rulebook, right?

You might want to send Andy a message because you definitely should have gotten an illustrated version of the rule book.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Covok posted:

You might want to send Andy a message because you definitely should have gotten an illustrated version of the rule book.

Thanks for the suggestion, I did this and he sent me a free copy of the DriveThruRPG version. What a friendly guy!

I wonder what the universe where budget jrpgs are cranked out for this setting is like. Why isn't there any Japanese equivalent of EYE: Divine Cybermancy?

Covok
May 27, 2013

I think a lot of that comes from the fact the Japanese trpg fans already have that "show the world my game!" outlet with replays, which are like actual plays and are rather popular there. This is conjecture, but, perhaps, having the ability to put their game out in the world and know people are listening and are interested in it gets rid of the itch that leads to things like EYE: Divine Cybermancy.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Speaking of replays. Are there any available for Double Cross?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Read both Tenra books and I can't believe I'm asking something so simple but. Uh. Can Kongohki talk? Like they mention that they're hard to roleplay and are treated like objects, but can they actually talk?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Yeah, they can, even if I had an entirely not-snake-eyes one running around my last Tenra game.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Yeah, Kongohki can talk. The book mentions that they have rudimentary personalities so that they can function with their memories sealed.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

mycot posted:

Read both Tenra books and I can't believe I'm asking something so simple but. Uh. Can Kongohki talk? Like they mention that they're hard to roleplay and are treated like objects, but can they actually talk?

I pictured them talking in vaguely tinny speaker-voices like 40k Dreadnoughts.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Any news on Shinobigami? No new updates have come out in a while.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Last update for it was a month ago from the KS emails I got.

Covok
May 27, 2013

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Last update for it was a month ago from the KS emails I got.

Oh, felt like it was longer. My mistake. That's pretty frequent.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

It's coming out NEXT MONTh

Covok
May 27, 2013

It's coming out NEXT MONTh

What is?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Covok posted:

What is?

Shinobigami. Well at least the basic text for backers at least?

quote:

While you play with that, we'll spend some time on our end hammering and sawing at the text, have our editors pore over it, and get it into a presentable form. Within approximately one month after the above, we should have a "Okay, here's the final(ish) text; please give it a read, and help us find any mistakes we may have missed."

Covok
May 27, 2013

Shinobigami. Well at least the basic text for backers at least?

Ah, I gotcha now. I was wondering where you saw that since I didn't see that when I skimmed the update.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Andy K. just sent out an update. Apparently the English Kickstarter for Ryuutama did so well that it gave the game's designer enough money to marry the supplement artist. :3:

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Maleketh posted:

Andy K. just sent out an update. Apparently the English Kickstarter for Ryuutama did so well that it gave the game's designer enough money to marry the supplement artist. :3:

That is the cutest loving thing oh my god :kimchi:

Ergonomix
Apr 14, 2009

pffffff
So the first draft of the translation for the Ryuutama rules for vehicles (wagons, ships, and airships) just went out. I've got a hankering to do some sailing (or sky sailing), anybody interested? I'll make a post in the recruitment thread, too, but I figure most of the people who got Ryuutama probably follow this thread, anyway.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Is that backer only, or will it eventually be available for purchase for us fools who missed the KS?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It's part of a planned supplement, so it will eventually be up for sale.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Any word on what's going on with Mononoke Koyake for Golden Sky Stories? Now that Fantasy Friends is done (and references it), it seems to be a popular question in other threads.

Gao
Aug 14, 2005
"Something." - A famous guy

Ergonomix posted:

So the first draft of the translation for the Ryuutama rules for vehicles (wagons, ships, and airships) just went out. I've got a hankering to do some sailing (or sky sailing), anybody interested? I'll make a post in the recruitment thread, too, but I figure most of the people who got Ryuutama probably follow this thread, anyway.

I'm interested.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Writting a TBZ scenario. It focuses on PCs being ninja. Including some pregens. To be sure, you get all the ninjutsu abilities that your school rank gives you access to, right?

If you have "ninjutsu: school of shore 4," you can use "Possessed by the Inner Wolf, Possessed by the Inner Demon, Shadowfl ight, Ninja Duplication, Mind’s Eye, Shadow Stitch, Shadowless Replication Technique" like a list of spells, so to speak, right?

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Covok posted:

Writting a TBZ scenario. It focuses on PCs being ninja. Including some pregens. To be sure, you get all the ninjutsu abilities that your school rank gives you access to, right?

If you have "ninjutsu: school of shore 4," you can use "Possessed by the Inner Wolf, Possessed by the Inner Demon, Shadowfl ight, Ninja Duplication, Mind’s Eye, Shadow Stitch, Shadowless Replication Technique" like a list of spells, so to speak, right?

That's right.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
You do unless it says otherwise.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Making those pregenerated characters made me realize how "everyone is X" can be a little restrictive in making all of the sample characters different. Sure, shinobi, anelidist, oni-nusa, and kijin were easy ones to come up with, but the others were a little harder to come up with and destinys can be a thing for a dude like me, it seems.

Also, it's funny how there are no kijin archetypes in the corebook. Had to make one up myself. Might have went overboard, though. Kind of made a crazy body-modder, but that kind of works.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Covok posted:

Also, it's funny how there are no kijin archetypes in the corebook.

Check pages 403-404.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Covok posted:

Making those pregenerated characters made me realize how "everyone is X" can be a little restrictive in making all of the sample characters different. Sure, shinobi, anelidist, oni-nusa, and kijin were easy ones to come up with, but the others were a little harder to come up with and destinys can be a thing for a dude like me, it seems.

Also, it's funny how there are no kijin archetypes in the corebook. Had to make one up myself. Might have went overboard, though. Kind of made a crazy body-modder, but that kind of works.

Ninja/Something else is a good way to differentiate characters who share an archetype. I think the only thing you can't mix being a shinobi with is being a samurai. Shinobi/Monk, Shinobi/Kijin, Shinobi/Kongohki, Shinobi/Annelidist, Shinobi/Paragon will all play really differently.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Maleketh posted:

Check pages 403-404.

Oh, there it is. Oh well, too late.

Doodmons posted:

Ninja/Something else is a good way to differentiate characters who share an archetype. I think the only thing you can't mix being a shinobi with is being a samurai. Shinobi/Monk, Shinobi/Kijin, Shinobi/Kongohki, Shinobi/Annelidist, Shinobi/Paragon will all play really differently.

Not every ninja needs to be a shinobi.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Ninja/Shiki-slinger seems like a good way to do ridiculous ninja pets. Calling up giant toad/slugs/snake shikigami, etc.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

unseenlibrarian posted:

Ninja/Shiki-slinger seems like a good way to do ridiculous ninja pets. Calling up giant toad/slugs/snake shikigami, etc.

Unless there are new players. Onmyoji are a really bad idea for newcomers due to being very complex and number-intensive.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Out of curiosity, is anyone currently playing Tenra Bansho Zero?

Also, is LPPB the only scenario pre-made online?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

unseenlibrarian posted:

There's already a shinobi power that summons a giant, fire-breathing toad, but it's top-tier and I don't think any of the existing shinobi paths include it. However, it would be trivial to create a new path that does, or reskin the power for slugs and snakes.

The shinobi powers I'd watch out for are the mist-summoning pair of powers- as written, they can lock down whole groups of enemies if they don't have very strong Willpower scores, and are amongst some of the worst-balanced abilities in the game (in a game that already has quite a few broken abilities).

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Covok posted:

Out of curiosity, is anyone currently playing Tenra Bansho Zero?

Also, is LPPB the only scenario pre-made online?

I'm working on a scenario for my group right now.

And I'm pretty sure there are 4 or so pre-made scenarios around. Though I'm not sure which are from the KS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

mikeycp posted:

I'm working on a scenario for my group right now.

And I'm pretty sure there are 4 or so pre-made scenarios around. Though I'm not sure which are from the KS.

Got any tips. This is turning into quite a bit of work. Though, it's worth noting, that I never plan so any planing is more than I'm used to. That and I made 6 pregens for players with story so that ended up being quite a bit of work.

• Locked thread