Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
After my previous LP I decided to make a LP video that's a little... less structured and more casual. Especially since the Hard Games thread is now LPing the entire Contra catalogue from the looks of it I don't think I'll actually be LPing the full game let alone the series here. But since I already recorded the footage before those fuckers (I'm really mad!) even started posting their videos I thought I'd at least make a first video just for fun.

http://youtu.be/BXafxg0HdXg

IGgy IGsen fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jun 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Mastigophoran posted:

Has the frame blending been mentioned before? XIII is a weird game so maybe it's part of the game:
This is an "issue" with Vegas. By default, it has resampling turned on for every clip. I also learned about that when testposting my last Lp in here. Just group select all the clips on a track, and look for an option that's called "switches". Saves you the trouble of doing it for each clip by hand.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Sword Lord posted:

Call of Juarez game that came out this week

So first, this game doesn't meet the three month rule. Add to that the quality of the video is low (modern game and the best quality is 360p? I can't make out poo poo) the commentary is not great; being neither informative, and maybe worst of all, basic mechanics aren't explained. When the world slows down it would probably be a good time to tell us how that happens, how long it lasts, etc.

Before I would try this again I would:

1) Wait three months
2) Get better video quality
3) Not do live commentary

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Mastigophoran posted:

Has the frame blending been mentioned before? XIII is a weird game so maybe it's part of the game:

Generally speaking frame blending is bad, so, just sort of asking. That screen is at about 7:44ish in the encoded video, I guess take a look at your raw video frame by frame about then and see if it's in your raw footage or introduced by the encoder.

double edit - also, you say your audio was 'too loud' before; the final audio on the video you linked video is very quiet, and looking at it on audacity showed why. The balance between you and game audio seems unproblematic, just the overall volume is very low. I would try locally playing someone else's video with whatever you'd normally use, followed by your own video, and see if you're not getting tricked into thinking your audio is too loud by differing volume settings between your production software and what you'd normally use to watch content.

Nah, the frame blending is only used in the very, very beginning to give the whole "Christ, I got shot in the head" effect. I've decided that Vegas is inferior at simple video editing. I'm just going to go with AVI Synth/MeGUI., as test videos I made before don't show any of those graphical issues. And yeah, the volume was too low - I overcompensated for it being obnoxiously loud before.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Missing Name posted:

Nah, the frame blending is only used in the very, very beginning to give the whole "Christ, I got shot in the head" effect. I've decided that Vegas is inferior at simple video editing. I'm just going to go with AVI Synth/MeGUI., as test videos I made before don't show any of those graphical issues. And yeah, the volume was too low - I overcompensated for it being obnoxiously loud before.
You still want to make sure to have resampling turned off on your clips. I use the pro edition of Vegas, so I'm not sure if your version also has this on by default. In never hurts to check though.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Missing Name posted:

I get the feeling though that there is frame blending as I think that the 'shot in the head' effect doesn't go on for the entire level while the frame blending does show up throughout. Like the point where that screenshot is is very near the end of the stage and looking up another video of the game at that section, it does seem to stop before that.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Lazyfire posted:

So first, this game doesn't meet the three month rule. Add to that the quality of the video is low (modern game and the best quality is 360p? I can't make out poo poo) the commentary is not great; being neither informative, and maybe worst of all, basic mechanics aren't explained. When the world slows down it would probably be a good time to tell us how that happens, how long it lasts, etc.

Before I would try this again I would:

1) Wait three months
2) Get better video quality
3) Not do live commentary
Or put a video of your live reactions in the corner of the video, throw it onto youtube right now, and become a ~superstar~

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

JT Jag posted:

Or put a video of your live reactions in the corner of the video, throw it onto youtube right now, and become a ~superstar~

BRB, making a video of the first level of the Yaris game with a face cam, I'll be back when I am a YouTube Superstar.

Fragger
Aug 21, 2010

Lazyfire posted:

BRB, making a video of the first level of the Yaris game with a face cam, I'll be back when I am a YouTube Superstar.

Great now I remember the Yaris game :negative:

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

Nohman posted:

Odd thing to ask about but does anyone know whatever happened to The Dark Id? That guy went from consistently banging out great LPs with updates near daily to off the map in short order. Did he die or something?

Yes I died. TV in hell is all PewDiePie LPs, the latter seasons of 24 and Prison Break, alongside DOTA2 matches. It really isn't that much worse than modern programming back in the living world to be honest.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Crap, now we either have to make a new Sandcastle or someone needs to test post the GhostBusters game because this thread is haunted.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

A slightly esoteric question. I ran into this song somewhere on the internet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKPN_9l73Ow

And recalled that a few months ago some LP used it in a very apropos way. The problem is, I have no idea which LP it was, and now it's bugging me. Anyone got a clue?

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

Xander77 posted:

A slightly esoteric question. I ran into this song somewhere on the internet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKPN_9l73Ow

And recalled that a few months ago some LP used it in a very apropos way. The problem is, I have no idea which LP it was, and now it's bugging me. Anyone got a clue?

Was it Chocolate Donuts' Sleeping Dogs LP?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kFJCZmaZjI

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Greekonomics posted:

Was it Chocolate Donuts' Sleeping Dogs LP?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kFJCZmaZjI
That's the one. Cheers.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

A while ago someone posted some videos of a PS2 game about being a cameraman that had to warn a news reporter as she got attacked from behind and such in some kind of horror village setting.
Anyone remember what I'm talking about? And if there's a thread for it because it seemed kind of interesting.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Michigan: Report from Hell, probably.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

That's the one, thanks!

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
[VLP] Neither John Coltrane nor the Coal Train: Let's Play The Jazz Jackrabbit Series!

Jazz Jackrabbit was a series of video games made by shareware PC game developer-turned-AAA studio Epic Megagames, now Epic Games. The games feature the titular Jazz Jackrabbit, fighting the evil turtle terrorist Devan Shell in a science-fiction universe taking place many years after The Tortoise and the Hare. Three entries have been made into the series: Two PC games and one handheld game, as well as a cancelled third PC game. We'll be looking at all four of these in this LP.

Let's dive into the first game!

Jazz Jackrabbit started a lot of things. It started the Jazz series, but it also started Cliff Blesziniski's career as a video game designer. Developed literally in his mother's house along with demoscene star Arjan Brussee, it put Epic Megagames on the map and started a legacy that continues to this very day.

THE STORY (SHORT VERSION)

THE STORY (LONG VERSION)

Jazz came with a short comic in its manual. Check out these scans!

EPISODES

A note about episodes: Certain portions of the game are presented in a different aspect ratio than others. This is because Jazz's code is built in such a weird way that certain parts run in different graphics modes, meaning they would appear as different aspect ratios on computers at the time. This article on the Doom wiki explains it better.

{I desperately need a good title for the thread, my current one is a gigantic stretch basically nobody will get. Any suggestions?}

Segmentation Fault fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jun 3, 2013

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Segmentation Fault posted:

[VLP] Neither John Coltrane nor the Coal Train: Let's Play The Jazz Jackrabbit Series!

Jazz Jackrabbit was a series of video games made by shareware PC game developer-turned-AAA studio Epic Megagames, now Epic Games. The games feature the titular Jazz Jackrabbit, fighting the evil turtle terrorist Devan Shell in a science-fiction universe taking place many years after The Tortoise and the Hare. Three entries have been made into the series: Two PC games and one handheld game, as well as a cancelled third PC game. We'll be looking at all four of these in this LP.

Let's dive into the first game!

Jazz Jackrabbit started a lot of things. It started the Jazz series, but it also started Cliff Blesziniski's career as a video game designer. Developed literally in his mother's house along with demoscene star Arjan Brussee, it put Epic Megagames on the map and started a legacy that continues to this very day.

THE STORY (SHORT VERSION)

THE STORY (LONG VERSION)

Jazz came with a short comic in its manual. Check out these scans!

EPISODES

A note about episodes: Certain portions of the game are presented in a different aspect ratio than others. This is because Jazz's code is built in such a weird way that certain parts run in different graphics modes, meaning they would appear as different aspect ratios on computers at the time. This article on the Doom wiki explains it better.

{I desperately need a good title for the thread, my current one is a gigantic stretch basically nobody will get. Any suggestions?}

Don't you call me Bucky, It's Jazz Jackrabbit perhaps? Or something with a bucky o'hare connection. As for the video, it seems to jump between modes for me, like for a while everything might be muted but then it gets a tad bit louder and then it lowers itself again. You might want to try checking to see if your video editing software isn't doing something screwy.

Goggle Fox
Jul 9, 2011

^ That's autoducking.

Your autoducking is really severe. When there's voice on the track the levels are pretty much perfect, but it gets way too loud when the game sound ramps back up to full volume. You might want to lower the starting volume and cut back on the attenuation.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Goggle Fox posted:

^ That's autoducking.

Oh, okay, I never had to autoduck yet so I didn't even realize it.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
You also might want to compress your commentary. When it's quiet, it's really quiet, but when it gets loud, it's fine.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Heard loud and clear on the autoducking. I thought it was a little much myself but I was more worried about making the game look better. I had a fair amount of issues with the visuals, from the ZMBV codec being read wrong and red/blue channels getting swapped to the picture just being really blurry and ugly in general. How does the video look, ignoring the sound issue?

gatz posted:

You also might want to compress your commentary. When it's quiet, it's really quiet, but when it gets loud, it's fine.
Compress? I'm not sure I follow.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

Compress? I'm not sure I follow.

It's an audio technique. I'm assuming you're using audacity, so check this out.
If you don't want to bother with that, increasing the level of the two commentators to the lever of the louder third one will probably suffice.

gatz fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jun 3, 2013

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

gatz posted:

It's an audio technique. I'm assuming you're using audacity, so check this out.
If you don't want to bother with that, increasing the level of the two commentators to the lever of the louder third one will probably suffice.

Our commentary is actually all on one track. The three of us are ~*~IRL friends~*~ so we'll meet up to do a recording session, and then maybe go grab dinner or something.

Anyway I redid the audio and I think I got it working. Rather than compressing the audio, I lowered the volume of the game. The big complaint I noticed was that the commentary voice was fine but the game got too loud once we weren't talking, so I turned down the game audio before ducking, while ducking at half the intensity (I guess?) as I was before to make up for the game not being as loud. I think it sounds leagues better, and I'm rendering a new copy of the video now! It'll be up on youtube soon.

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem

Never apologize for Coltrane jokes!

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

UZworm posted:

Never apologize for Coltrane jokes!

I never would, but I don't think people will make the connection with regards to "coal train" and Jazz.

Anyway, the new video is being uploaded and will be here in about a half-hour from now.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

I never would, but I don't think people will make the connection with regards to "coal train" and Jazz.

Anyway, the new video is being uploaded and will be here in about a half-hour from now.

Bit late for it now, but could you upscale the videos in the future so they use the higher-quality process on YouTube, please?

GameboyHero
Apr 11, 2010

Been a while since I've done so this so anything looks or sounds screwy, let me know:

The LP Double Feature: Amped 3 & Wario World

Wario World
Developer: Treasure
Publisher: Nintendo
Release Dates:
US: June 23, 2003
JP: May 27, 2004
EU: June 20, 2003
AU: July 10, 2003

From stealing castle to finally getting one of his very own, Wario has come a long way. But a lot of it still boils down to one thing: being a greedy bastard. After having all of his treasure turned into monsters and his castle wrecked by a black jewel, you gotta punch, spin, crush and piledriver any living thing to get all your gold back! Had a lot of good buzz back when it was released with a few problem like being too short and/or the combat being a bit too repetitive.

For the LP I'll be going for a 100% run. Not too sure if I'll show off the Wario Ware stuff but anything can change. Two guest per world is what I'm gonna aim for and if you played a good bit of this game and wanna commentate, feel free to add me on skype: GameboyHero.

Videos:

Amped 3:
Developer: Indie Built
Publisher: 2K Sports
Release Dates:
US: Nov 16, 2005
EU: Dec 2, 2005

While Amped 1 and 2 went for a more straight forward sports title (and a good alternative to SSX), Amped 3 wanted more. What we ended up was something that has to be seen. A variety of animation styles, some humor about itself and what we all came to see: snowboarding! The game did pretty well for itself as a 360 launch title but this would end up being the company's last title. Least they went out on a bang.

This LP is more of a casual run through the game. Trying for just one guest per video. I mainly wanted to show off the game without any trouble. While there's not a lot to spoil gameplay wise, but let's keep the story bits in spoiler tags.

Video:

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Is there something connecting these two games, like a theme or mechanic, or are they just two games you wanted to LP, so you decided to do them at the same time?

Fragger
Aug 21, 2010

I love both Cole Train and Coal Train jokes!

On the video itself. Looks good and audio seems ok though there are some times where it seems the game is a touch too loud against the commentary

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

frozentreasure posted:

Is there something connecting these two games, like a theme or mechanic, or are they just two games you wanted to LP, so you decided to do them at the same time?

Adding to this, if it's the latter then you are definitely allowed to have two threads at the same time, one for each.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Aerdan posted:

Bit late for it now, but could you upscale the videos in the future so they use the higher-quality process on YouTube, please?

How big do they have to be in order to do that?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Videos need a vertical resolution of at least 720 pixels to use the HD pipeline.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

How big do they have to be in order to do that?

At least 720 vertical pixels.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare

GameboyHero posted:

The LP Double Feature: Amped 3 & Wario World

Aside from the odd idea of doing two completely unrelated games in one thread, the audio in the Amped 3 video is a bit shoddy. It's hard to hear you and your guest, whoever it was, I didn't catch their name due to this. The Wario audio wasn't too bad but it could still be cleaned up a little. You should try reducing the game volume or autoducking.

GameboyHero
Apr 11, 2010

Spiffo posted:

Adding to this, if it's the latter then you are definitely allowed to have two threads at the same time, one for each.

Sundowner posted:

Aside from the odd idea of doing two completely unrelated games in one thread, the audio in the Amped 3 video is a bit shoddy. It's hard to hear you and your guest, whoever it was, I didn't catch their name due to this. The Wario audio wasn't too bad but it could still be cleaned up a little. You should try reducing the game volume or autoducking.

The idea is that both games are a bit on the short side, in my opinion, to have their own threads. And I wanted to get to them so I thought "eh, why just do them at the same time and stick them in one thread?" and here I am.

As for the audio issues I can go back and fix up Amped 3's audio. Our first WW take was a bit on the screwy side so I've been trying to clean up as much as I can without making the voices too scrambled. I'll keep trying and see which works out the best.

Aside from those anything else that needs looking?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
The thing is that your thread discussion won't be focused if you have a thread containing two topics. Just create two threads, even if the game is short.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare

Suspicious Dish posted:

The thing is that your thread discussion won't be focused if you have a thread containing two topics. Just create two threads, even if the game is short.

Yeah, I wouldn't worry too much. I underestimated how quickly I could beat Papo & Yo when I did it over the last couple of weeks. Turned out to only be 6 videos worth but baldurk has just approved it for archiving so I don't think the length of the game or thread will really matter too much.

Edit: My wording makes it sound like I did it blind. I didn't, but I hadn't been timing my runs of the game beyond my first playthrough a while back, so I didn't realize it was done in 2~3 hours.

Sundowner fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameboyHero
Apr 11, 2010

Can't argue with that, I suppose. Alright, I'll fix up the audio for both videos and get the threads posted in a few days.

• Locked thread