Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Not too surprising if it is because of Dangan Ronpa. There was that really annoying phase where everybody and their brother were signing up so as to keep reading and making sure those that watched the thread knew it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
But hasn't the Dangan Ronpa thread been around for a while? Why would it just suddenly be popular? I guess I've got to get around to checking that behemoth of a thread and seeing what all the fuss is about.

Roxors
Feb 18, 2011

TwoPair posted:

But hasn't the Dangan Ronpa thread been around for a while? Why would it just suddenly be popular? I guess I've got to get around to checking that behemoth of a thread and seeing what all the fuss is about.

I'm guessing it is more of a gradual surge, as people discover it and offsite threads pop up discussing it. And yeah, you should check it out. It does a lot of neat things and avoids the annoying/creepy anime tropes that seems to pop up a lot in games like this. Just avoid reading the thread if you don't want the solutions to cases solved ahead of time, as the thread is usually pretty dead-on with predictions once a consensus is reached.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

TwoPair posted:

Word travels I guess, deadly premonition had the same kind of draw.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Psychedelic Eyeball posted:

That thread has over 2 million views. :psyduck:

That's actually pretty insane.

After reading the thread, I can't say find any fault with that. It is one hell of an undertaking.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

The Dark Id posted:

It's a prelude to a deluge of godawful Youtube dumps that will flood the subforum for seven days and seven nights. The end is nigh.

The ~LP Superstar Wormwood~ :swoon: rises!

FakeKraid
Feb 10, 2012
Success! After much picture-editing, I have created what I think is a much better product than my last. As I said, I've skipped touching on the video almost entirely and opted to jump straight into gameplay, taking a mostly informative approach with a bit of (debatably) subtle humor thrown in to keep things interesting. It's still not terribly long - especially since I skipped what I'll put in the OP of the thread - so if anybody has any suggestions, comments, criticism, or encouragement, I'll be grateful.

Here's the link. Please ignore any earlier versions from this point on, the new one is totally unrelated to them.

FakeKraid fucked around with this message at 09:27 on May 22, 2012

Psycho Serum
Apr 28, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

FakeKraid posted:

Success! After much picture-editing, I have created what I think is a much better product than my last. As I said, I've skipped touching on the video almost entirely and opted to jump straight into gameplay, taking a mostly informative approach with a bit of (debatably) subtle humor thrown in to keep things interesting. It's still not terribly long - especially since I skipped what I'll put in the OP of the thread - so if anybody has any suggestions, comments, criticism, or encouragement, I'll be grateful.

Here's the link. Please ignore any earlier versions from this point on, the new one is totally unrelated to them.

Okay, see this is good and I would legit follow this LP. Serious improvement right here.

FakeKraid
Feb 10, 2012

Psycho Serum posted:

Okay, see this is good and I would legit follow this LP. Serious improvement right here.

Thanks! Your criticism was...useful. But your comment was still vicious and nasty when it could have been more polite, and an apology is in order if you're man enough to give it. :colbert: For my part, I'll let it go because I don't like conflict or drama, but I want it known that I'm not a pansy who'll take poo poo from people either.

Meanwhile, I guess I'll throw together an OP and post this thread for real, now that I've got my paces. I don't know how long it will take me to get more content together for the next update, but we'll see. Pray God my netbook doesn't break down...I should probably move all this stuff to my dropbox. :eek:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Psycho Serum
Apr 28, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

FakeKraid posted:

Thanks! Your criticism was...useful. But you're still a dick for talking the way you did before when you could have been far less vicious and nasty, and an apology is in order if you're man enough to give it. For my part, I'll let it go because I don't like conflict or drama, but I want it known that I'm not a pansy who'll take poo poo from people either.

Oh gently caress I'm about to get Internet Tough Guy'd! I always knew it would end this way!

Tell Coulis he gets my stuff

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.

FakeKraid posted:

Thanks! Your criticism was...useful. But your comment was still vicious and nasty when it could have been more polite, and an apology is in order if you're man enough to give it. :colbert: For my part, I'll let it go because I don't like conflict or drama, but I want it known that I'm not a pansy who'll take poo poo from people either.

Get over yourself

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

FakeKraid posted:

For my part, I'll let it go because I don't like conflict or drama, but I want it known that I'm not a pansy who'll take poo poo from people either.

I'll tell everyone I know, for sure.

Pork Lift
Oct 9, 2007

Winner of the 2012
:dong: Highway Traffic :dong:
Prediction Razzies

FakeKraid posted:

I think LP is getting so many views because everyone wants to read the forum with this guy in it. Today I learnt a lot about respecting my fellow man.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

FakeKraid posted:

Meanwhile, I guess I'll throw together an OP and post this thread for real, now that I've got my paces. I don't know how long it will take me to get more content together for the next update, but we'll see. Pray God my netbook doesn't break down...I should probably move all this stuff to my dropbox. :eek:

Well done, you just gained a whole lot of goodwill for seriously improving a test post and threw it away almost immediately. If you're not sure how long it'll be until you can get another update together, then don't start the thread until you have a bit of a backlog ready. No-one wants to start following an SSLP only to then wait 2 weeks for the next update.

FakeKraid
Feb 10, 2012

njsykora posted:

If you're not sure how long it'll be until you can get another update together, then don't start the thread until you have a bit of a backlog ready. No-one wants to start following an SSLP only to then wait 2 weeks for the next update.

Oh, it definitely won't be that long. I have enough free time for that. It might be a day or two, but I seriously doubt even that; it depends on how busy work is and whether I can motivate myself to do it on my days off. I probably can.

EDIT: Though it may be worth mentioning that I work a graveyard shift, so my update times may seem a bit wonky to any other USA-based users. The majority of my updates will likely occur in the small hours because of that.

FakeKraid fucked around with this message at 13:30 on May 22, 2012

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

FakeKraid posted:

Oh, it definitely won't be that long. I have enough free time for that. It might be a day or two, but I seriously doubt even that; it depends on how busy work is and whether I can motivate myself to do it on my days off. I probably can.

EDIT: Though it may be worth mentioning that I work a graveyard shift, so my update times may seem a bit wonky to any other USA-based users. The majority of my updates will likely occur in the small hours because of that.

A backlog is still useful, if for no other reason than Murphy's Law. IRL poo poo eating up your time, computer issues, problems with the game, burnout... these are all things that could screw up your LP. People (usually) understand you aren't some kind of amusement machine, but it's still going to affect the thread.

Basically, something's probably going to go wrong and a backlog provides some insurance against that.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

FakeKraid posted:

For my part, I'll let it go because I don't like conflict or drama, but I want it known that I'm not a pansy who'll take poo poo from people either.

Thank you for being the bigger man in all this. Thank God the real Kraid didn't make a test post!

Lt. Dans Legs
Jul 3, 2008

FakeKraid posted:

This is pretty great.

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

slowbeef posted:

Thank God the real Kraid didn't make a test post!

Right, because we all know that real Kraid is the true pansy; he can't even deal with more than six super missiles. Not like my bro Ridley.

This reminds me, I have a real question for the Sandcastle. I'm planning my next move after finishing Link to the Past and I've always wanted to show off a skilled 100% run of Metroid Fusion ever since Diabetus decided not to make his LP 100% a while back. To add a twist to the LP, I plan to play it on hard mode (which means that I'll have to use the Japanese version of the game). Now the story doesn't pop up too much in this game (it isn't Other M, for God's sake), but there are quite a few mission screens that tell you what to do next. I have two options when dealing with this:
  1. Add English subtitles when there is text on the screen*, or
  2. Verbally summarize what's being said on the screen.
*I can't read or write Japanese, I would use the English version of the game to make the subtitles.

My question is: is the story well-known/not pertinent enough for me to be okay simply explaining what is going on verbally, or should I go through the effort of adding the subtitle so that viewers can read along with the text just as if it were in English?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Here's a real Kraid test post.

Lt. Dans Legs
Jul 3, 2008

MeccaPrime posted:

My question is: is the story well-known/not pertinent enough for me to be okay simply explaining what is going on verbally, or should I go through the effort of adding the subtitle so that viewers can read along with the text just as if it were in English?

I think subtitles would work best. For some of the "go here Samus" dialogues you could probably just get away with explaining it verbally, but when Adam's describing your next boss and such it'd probably be good to have subtitles. No idea what you can do with those elevator sequences where the screen fills with text without it looking ugly, though. Maybe you could make a translated version of that screen and link it alongside the video.

While he certainly has good commentary, he needs to work on his gameplay. Those lemmings didn't need to die. :colbert:

Lt. Dans Legs fucked around with this message at 15:13 on May 22, 2012

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

MeccaPrime posted:

Right, because we all know that real Kraid is the true pansy; he can't even deal with more than six super missiles. Not like my bro Ridley.

This reminds me, I have a real question for the Sandcastle. I'm planning my next move after finishing Link to the Past and I've always wanted to show off a skilled 100% run of Metroid Fusion ever since Diabetus decided not to make his LP 100% a while back. To add a twist to the LP, I plan to play it on hard mode (which means that I'll have to use the Japanese version of the game). Now the story doesn't pop up too much in this game (it isn't Other M, for God's sake), but there are quite a few mission screens that tell you what to do next. I have two options when dealing with this:
*I can't read or write Japanese, I would use the English version of the game to make the subtitles.

How much text normally appears during the mission screens? If it's a fairly substantial amount you could always screenshot the English version and link that into the thread along with the video for the people who want to get into the story but just give a cursory run down of what it says in the video so everybody knows what's happening.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

I'd say option 1 if Adam actually has anything interesting to say (mostly the plot-related stuff), option 2 when he's just saying "Yeah, go here and do a thing."

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

FakeKraid posted:

I do graveyard shifts too, it's not really much of a handicap since I either have stuff up in the late evening US time or early afternoon before I go to work. The fact you bring up motivation is a worry, if you're worried about your motivation then maybe rethink starting an LP. They are very work intensive and that's from someone who just does video, screenshot LPs are even more work. I actually prefer doing lots of stuff on days off since those are great days for building the backlog though since it pretty much just amounts to playing the game, and if you enjoy the game you're playing then that's just sweet.

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

Redundant posted:

How much text normally appears during the mission screens? If it's a fairly substantial amount you could always screenshot the English version and link that into the thread along with the video for the people who want to get into the story but just give a cursory run down of what it says in the video so everybody knows what's happening.

It depends on the mission, some are wordier than others. My problem with linking English screenshots is that (for the viewers who want to read them), people will have to stop the video, open the image, read the mission, then resume the video. I want the video to really be more of a convenient, one-stop shop.

If I go the subtitle route, I'll have to be a bit crafty with some of the placement: for the mission screens, they'll probably be right above the text box (but not in the way of the map); I don't really know how I'd handle the elevator monologues (but thankfully there are only 2 or 3 of them).

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

MeccaPrime posted:

You could always just splice in the dialog section since they never appear during gameplay (minus maybe a WARNING SIREN).

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

Rirse posted:

You could always just splice in the dialog section since they never appear during gameplay (minus maybe a WARNING SIREN).

I thought about doing that, I was just worried that mismatching the music with the spliced in cutscene might be a bit too jarring, but I guess that really couldn't be any more jarring than a bunch of Japanese text overlayed with a bunch of English subtitles.

I can definitely do this with the opening cutscene.

FakeKraid
Feb 10, 2012

njsykora posted:

I do graveyard shifts too, it's not really much of a handicap since I either have stuff up in the late evening US time or early afternoon before I go to work. The fact you bring up motivation is a worry, if you're worried about your motivation then maybe rethink starting an LP. They are very work intensive and that's from someone who just does video, screenshot LPs are even more work. I actually prefer doing lots of stuff on days off since those are great days for building the backlog though since it pretty much just amounts to playing the game, and if you enjoy the game you're playing then that's just sweet.

The game has a lot of nostalgic value for me, and there's a certain perverse pleasure to be found in the more arcane elements of it, so I don't doubt I'll enjoy it. I'm definitely seeing the work intensive (though in my case it's mostly the image stuff, the writing isn't that hard, at least for now), but it's fun and educational, so it's not too grueling.

The motivation thing deserves some explanation: I suffer from very severe depression - as in, the physiological kind that has nothing to do with moods - and sometimes get into slumps where I can't focus on anything. Fortunately, one of the things that is proven to get me out of slumps and keep me out is a creative project on which I can make steady progress, and an LP is a good candidate with its serial nature and the amount of structure built-in from its relation to an already-complete game. Also, I have a pathological, utterly pathetic, almost puppy-like aversion to disappointing people, so I can easily be guilt-tripped into working if it comes down to it.

As a super-secret admission just between us because nobody else is going to read this post, I am really doing this project to learn more about dialogue and characterization in a controlled environment to better my writing skills. So there's that to keep me going, too. All in all, I'm pretty hopeful about this, and I'm an extreme pessimist.

Your point about days off is a good one, though I'm still working out how best to...uh...organize a substantial backlog in a way that leaves my screenshots clear enough to make any sense of later. Right now I'm trying the method of playing ahead to find potentially amusing or interesting situations, writing the steps down in a plan, and then going back and taking the screenshots in a second playthrough (this limits my irrelevant or useless screenshots and cuts down on clutter), but if you have any suggestions that would be more effective or less work, that would be great - though, I doubt the issues are the same with a video LP.

FakeKraid
Feb 10, 2012

slowbeef posted:

Thank you for being the bigger man in all this. Thank God the real Kraid didn't make a test post!

You know, after I had eaten three tubs of Ben & Jerry's, watched Casablanca, and cried myself to sleep, I realized that despite the pain and hurt, despite the emptiness and isolation, we can't lash out and continue the cycle of pain and destruction. We all have to learn to let go of the things that hurt us most. And someday, when I finally remember that I can't just join a forum site and expect everyone to know that I'm at least 30% and usually 70% joking when I say almost anything, I'll have what it takes to reach out and help others through their dark places, too. But for now, I'll have to satisfy myself with hanging on, with help from my friends. I will survive.

Thanks for your support and encouragement. I enjoyed reading your Darkseed LP's.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

FakeKraid posted:

Thanks for your support and encouragement. I enjoyed reading your Darkseed LP's.

Well poo poo, now I feel bad.

edit: Disclaimer: I do not actually feel bad.

slowbeef fucked around with this message at 16:47 on May 22, 2012

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

Guess he has a week to work on that backlog now. :v:

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

slowbeef posted:

Well poo poo, now I feel bad.

Looking at his thread, I'm pretty sure he's converting jpgs to pngs, so gently caress that guy.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

GuavaMoment posted:

Looking at his thread, I'm pretty sure he's converting jpgs to pngs, so gently caress that guy.

Argh why not capture as .pngs in the first place?!

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Well. Given feedback from this wonderful thread full of wonderful people, I've changed my proposed Pokemon LP to an actually potentially interesting topic - :spergin: about game mechanics.

This is the test post.

I finally managed to work out a way to crop my screenshots so that I can remove the emulator border, and it seems intuitive enough to remove top and bottom screens as needed. I think the URL not working on the SSLP test poster is a test poster thing.

I apologise for not including gameplay again, but I think this post demonstrates my ability to sperg about Pokemon in an informative manner. If you guys think this is worth pursuing, I'll happily do a test playthrough of the initial battles with a random starter and explain more mechanics.

I obviously still want a lot of feedback on this because it still has heaps of room for improvement, but what do you think?

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Don't touch shoopuf. Tailss will be shlapping!

ungulateman posted:

I think the URL not working on the SSLP test poster is a test poster thing.

The URL not working is because you used smart quotes. You don't even need quotation marks for a URL here, anyway.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Shoopuf posted:

The URL not working is because you used smart quotes. You don't even need quotation marks for a URL here, anyway.

That has been noted and taken into account if this ever becomes a thread. Thank you!

Brassherald
Feb 3, 2012

Wait, I'm the one who calls people buttheads!

ungulateman posted:

I obviously still want a lot of feedback on this because it still has heaps of room for improvement, but what do you think?

Okay, it's an improvement, because it does address many of the issues, but, you also lost the introduction to geek boy and hyperactive girl (I don't remember their names, I barely played the game), who are pretty major characters from my short memory. Maybe you are now going to do a no story run, but, then the question arises of why this Pokemon game and not one of the trillions of others? I think that in the interest of streamlining a bit, you may have gone a little too overboard, the main issue with the last one were that the jokes were not great or even overused, like the one about the boy or girl choice was in a webcomic.

I feel like this is improvement, but, I described the last one as aggressively mediocre, and this one I would give more original, but still mediocre.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Seriously, forget the opening. Jump to some point around the second gym or something and show us what the actual LP will be like. What you've done is a good start, but you still have a long way to go to make it worth following.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

I suppose the best option is to quickly show the parts with Cheren and Bianca when I skim over the plot, then. I was planning on being quite minimal on the plot, but it seems I went overboard again.

The main reason to pick White is because it's the game with the least horrible interface and level curve, along with the most Pokemon to :spergin: about.

More revising! :black101:

And Artix posts while I'm typing with an actually smart idea. Definitely what I'll do, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
Show a Route too, I want to see how you're gonna go about the covering wild pokemon on each one.

• Locked thread