Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Also I don't know if it's just me but your screenshots could definitely stand to be bigger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Cheeseman posted:

If it itches that much, find a doc. Bud Tucker in Double Trouble [Blind VLP]

I know this game to be an unpolished mess with an awful interface and terrible gameplay. I kind of foresee big problems going into that blind, unless you plan on cutting out parts where you end up wandering around trying to figure stuff out.

And yeah, talking all through the intro of an adventure game kind of defeats the purpose of LPing this. The story is important even if this one isn't particularly good.

Oh and the guy ragging on Rik Mayall is kind of an idiot for it, just fyi.

Awkward Turtle
Jul 13, 2010
I've uploaded these videos about five times each because I kept forgetting to do things. Hopefully they'll actually work now. :doh: The first video is just the opening cutscene with no commentary, but I put two update videos up because I felt like the first one was too short. And also because I already had it done and figured I might as well. Anyway, on with the show.

Mentalis Uber Alles: Let's Play Psychonauts! [VLP]

If you haven't played this game yet, you've heard of it. Psychonauts is that game that always comes up when people talk about underappreciated games, or games as art. And let me tell you something.

I really like this game. And I'm going to show you why, along with my good friend GenerallyRyte.

So, who made this game?
Psychonauts was released in 2005 by Tim Schafer and Double Fine Productions. They later made Brutal Legend, Costume Quest, Stacking, and Trenched Iron Brigade (but no one cares about Trenched Iron Brigade).

Are you going for 100% completion?
No, I'm actually going for 101% (I'll explain in a later video). For people who have already played the game: Don't worry, I'm not going to collect all the figments on-camera. I'll get everything else on-camera though.

Where can I buy this game so I can shower the developers with my love and money?
It's available on Steam, GOG, and the Mac App Store for :10bux:, or if you REALLY want a hard copy for your Xbox you can find it on Amazon. Don't get the PS2 version. Just don't.

Spoiler Policy
Try to keep them to a minimum. Level/power names are okay in tags. I don't want to see any pages that look like CIA documents in my thread, though. :argh:

Show me the videos!

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Awkward Turtle posted:

Good thing you guys breathe into your mics and talk quietly over the dialog, everyone knows the dialog and characters are the weakest part of Psychonauts.

Psycho Serum
Apr 28, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Awkward Turtle posted:

This is really loving bad and if you don't look at this and think "Holy gently caress, this is the worst possible way I could approach an LP of Psychonauts" than you are stupid and no amount of pointing out what you're doing wrong is going to help because you are incapable of either shame or good judgement

Awkward Turtle
Jul 13, 2010
I didn't think it was that bad. :sigh:

I'll just... go completely redo the entire thing then. Thanks for being honest, I guess?

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
Is it just me or have there been more bad test posts than usual lately? Gotta bring the new thread in in style I suppose

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

Awkward Turtle posted:

I'll just... go completely redo the entire thing then. Thanks for being honest, I guess?

Duck the game audio or at least balance it so you guys are audible, upload a no commentary over cutscenes version as well.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Here's a very competent Psychonauts LP. What are you doing to improve on it?

Oh, jabber over all the dialogue. That's... that's an interesting idea.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Xander77 posted:

They have photoshopped episode images. That archived one just has links.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Xander77 posted:

Actually the guy doing this sounds amazingly bored and the fact that it's only on Viddler is pretty horrid nowadays. Doesn't mean that an improved LP can't be done, but yea, I can't really say this is an improvement.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
^^^ Sethur's uninflected delivery was a result of his foreign handicap, pls do not be racist/ableist forums poster "Niggurath" if that IS your real name which i doubt, TIA

But yeah, its a pretty good object lesson that even lionized threads still have room for new approaches, especially as vid hosts of days gone by bite the dust or clamp down on LPs.

Awkward Turtle posted:

Well hell, I'll give it a shot.

The key thing about LPs on this forum as distinct from LPs as they've spread pretty much anywhere else is that its got to be a thread worth putting behind a paywall. This is an incredibly niche hobby when done well, combining no less than the spergiest aspects of being a gamer geek, computer hardware geek and an A/V geek. So when making a thread, try to brainstorm your hook:

--Maybe you have a lot of video capture hardware or software on hand and have incredibly good production values.
--Maybe you're really funny and can approach the game from an entertaining direction.
--Maybe you know the game like the back of your hand and can show it off like nobody else.
--Maybe you're really creative and to hell with doing something new, you just want a big project to do Good Work on and it might as well be Psychonauts, one of the funniest and most visually distinctive games in gaming.
--Maybe something else remotely interesting.

As far as I can tell from your vids, you don't have this. Like, people have said you talk over the dialogue which isn't great, but its kind of a symptom and not the sickness, y'know? You have a friend, you have a computer, you have a copy of Psychonauts and you have a headset mic with an inadequate windsock on the end of it.

Most of all, you have a LOT of competition in mediocre LPs of Psychonauts.

So when people say "redo it" they're telling you to ask yourself from the very beginning why you're investing so much goddamned time in a thread, and asking others to invest so much time in watching it.

If people are terse with you, its because this is spelled out pretty much weekly in this thread and they're probably sick of it, and looking at your videos with a semiobjective eye and lurking the stickied threads would tell you as much as I'm telling you now.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 23:55 on May 22, 2012

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space
Another component that no one else has apparently noticed so far are all the frames that appear to have been dropped, causing the stuttering that's readily observable in their videos, meaning that ideally not only do they need to re-do their commentary, they also need to work out the source of that problem and probably rerecord their base footage, too.

MidnightSun
Feb 15, 2011

I am Truthless
Quickly to Awkward Turtle, if there is one thing I could say, it would be to turn down the game's volume in relation to your commentary, especially since your friend's voice is so low. Also, a bit more exposition in the OP is always appreciated!

Now onto my test post. Here's my second go at starting up this particular game now that I have a bit more LP'ing experience. It was a bit too fast-paced for me when first I attempted it.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Vroom Vroom! Gundam Legs! - Let's Play! Gunstar Super Heroes

It's so visually stimulating! I must watch! (That's what you were just thinking)

What is Gunstar Super Heroes?
Gunstar Super (or Future in Europe) Heroes (GSH) is the arrogantly-named (though somewhat justified) sequel to the Sega Genesis' popular title of the same name, minus the Super. In it, you play as a member of the newly-formed Gunstar Heroes unit, part of an organization named The Third Eye (or just 3YE). The Earth is under attack by some familiar faces in what looks like a Borg starship, and it is your job to repel them and prevent a being of destruction from being brought back to life!
This is a run-and-gun style of shooter, with two playable characters, each sporting one unique weapon, and three modes of difficulty (I'll be playing on the highest difficulty, which is actually the only one I've ever done). It was released for the Game Boy Advance (GBA) in 2005, when it was met with high praise in a declining GBA market, as the DS had been released earlier the same year.

Why play or watch this game?
Why not? GSH, despite its almost painful anime-esque style of art and character structure, is an entertaining little ditty which manages to keep a person entertained, if not occasionally frustrated, for a good couple of hours. The levels are short and full of fun explosions, so we might as well entertain ourselves with this somewhat redundant child of the original Gunstar.

How will you be doing this?
The LP will always be posted in sets of two commentated videos, one for each of the playable characters. Red will only be allowed to punch, kick, and slash his way through opponents, while Blue will be our resident gunslinger. I am not aiming for perfection in this LP, so if one of these tactics is either invalid or painfully ineffective against an opponent, I will set them aside for the sake of doing the job right rather than doing it stupid. For those of you who followed my previous Master Quest LP, I regret to inform you that Lightspectra will not be joining me for this particular project. The swift pace of levels would not allow us much time to both explain what is happening and have fun anyways, so I believe this to be the wiser choice.
As we are able to choose which level we go to next, I will be relying on your input to decide where next to go. If you have played the game before and want to see me go through a particular level or just think one of them sounds more interesting, go ahead and vote for it!

Our Heroes

Red This honorable chap seems to be the poster child of the Gunstars' program. When the game was released in Japan, Red was not referred to by any specific gender, but was called a "she" in the American version. As even they won't speak up on the subject, we can only guess at which gender (if any) his/her/its creators meant to impart.

Blue The much less sexually ambiguous Blue is our bad boy. Not very motivated by a sense of duty, Blue seems to prefer the idea of letting others do the job he must have been trained and conditioned to do. He may be ungrateful, but his side of the game is a whole lot more interesting, so I will forgive him and write off his laziness as "spunk."

Yellow This young lady, clad in a glorified bathing suit, is Yellow, the team's manager of all things tech and communication. Her actual part in the game is to drive the other two Gunstars around. Her brother, Green, has recently gone missing. Oh boy. I wonder what he's up to.

What You're Really Here For:

The Hand of Mine is Burning Red!
  1. Earth: Red | YouTube

Aggro Equals Ammo!
  1. Earth: Blue | YouTube

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Skimming through the video, this seems fine content-wise, but how exactly are you recording this? The graphics seem blurry, although that might just be Youtube's treatment of low-res pixel art.

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

Psycho Serum posted:

This is really loving bad and if you don't look at this and think "Holy gently caress, this is the worst possible way I could approach an LP of Psychonauts" than you are stupid and no amount of pointing out what you're doing wrong is going to help because you are incapable of either shame or good judgement

It's a rare day when I read a post and go "God drat, do you really have to be that brutal?" but today is that day.

It might be bad (can't watch it at work) but don't we usually reserve this kind of response for when the poster gets all pissy that you dared criticize his LP? I feel kinda bad for the guy and that's not something that happens often...

Edit: BTW, I'd like to congratulate Awkward Turtle for taking it in stride.

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
Well, since the updated video and test post didn't draw any feedback on the previous post, I've improved what I can as regards the OP (including such things as character descriptions and even portraits) and video quality, and posted them to a thread here: Let's Play Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory - Conviction Style. Thanks for the technical help, and here's hoping you enjoy it.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
Psychonauts: serious fuckin' business.

Since you're going to redo them anyways I'm not going to bother watching the other videos, but if it makes you feel better the introduction makes me really interested in this game.

MidnightSun
Feb 15, 2011

I am Truthless

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Skimming through the video, this seems fine content-wise, but how exactly are you recording this? The graphics seem blurry, although that might just be Youtube's treatment of low-res pixel art.

If you're referring to my vid, I'm using Virtual GBA's built-in recorder. It's really just the fact that the graphics are that low in resolution. I tried other methods, but this was the only one that worked, and it is as high-res as you can get. As you see it on YouTube, I saw it while playing.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
What I mean is:

Screenshot from your video:
[IMG]http://lpix.org/652361/Let's Play! Gunstar Super Heroes_ Red 01.flv_snapshot_02.42_[2012.05.23_02.55.26].png[/IMG]

Screenshot from VBA at 3x:

If you're using your emulator's internal video recorder, you are probably getting footage at native resolution, which means you did upscale this in post before uploading to to Youtube since YT gives me HD options. Switch your upscaling filter to nearest neighbor, depending on what software you use this might be called differently.

MEAT!
Mar 18, 2008

I believe dastardly presets may be the culprit here once again.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Proteus4994 posted:

It's a rare day when I read a post and go "God drat, do you really have to be that brutal?" but today is that day.
I've got to agree, the posted videos need some work and I won't insult Turtle by repeating the advice (I'm sure he can read), but disturbingly often I see people seemingly making the presumption that a bad presentation is the direct result of laziness and/or egomania. I really hope we can try to remember that lazy egomaniacs are the hilarious exception, not the rule.

I'm only able to actually look at test posts about 1 hour a day so part of this problem is my fault for not helping set a better example, but I'd hope we can agree on something: everyone who puts up a test post is at least putting in effort. You can say that of a large percentage of people. We currently have 342 threads in this subforum. We have WELL in excess of 1000 users browsing the forum at all hours of the day. I'd be utterly loving stunned if 1% of the people who enjoy LPs have ever even considered doing one themselves.

Again, I'm not trying to string anyone up here: a LOT of people have done this and I'm just as guilty as anyone else for not saying something sooner. But can we please try to give people some credit for putting forward more effort than 99% of people that roll through here? If they end up getting passive aggressive about the extra work or something then whatever, they deserve all the ridicule they get, but until someone acts like a dick we should probably keep ours in our pants.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 03:08 on May 23, 2012

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!

MeccaPrime posted:

Right, because we all know that real Kraid is the true pansy; he can't even deal with more than six super missiles. Not like my bro Ridley.

This reminds me, I have a real question for the Sandcastle. I'm planning my next move after finishing Link to the Past and I've always wanted to show off a skilled 100% run of Metroid Fusion ever since Diabetus decided not to make his LP 100% a while back. To add a twist to the LP, I plan to play it on hard mode (which means that I'll have to use the Japanese version of the game). Now the story doesn't pop up too much in this game (it isn't Other M, for God's sake), but there are quite a few mission screens that tell you what to do next. I have two options when dealing with this:
  1. Add English subtitles when there is text on the screen*, or
  2. Verbally summarize what's being said on the screen.
*I can't read or write Japanese, I would use the English version of the game to make the subtitles.

My question is: is the story well-known/not pertinent enough for me to be okay simply explaining what is going on verbally, or should I go through the effort of adding the subtitle so that viewers can read along with the text just as if it were in English?

I feel like for a 100% skill run, the story isn't super relevant. In fact, I'd actually consider jump-cutting the text out altogether if possible.

MidnightSun
Feb 15, 2011

I am Truthless

I DO see what you mean now. I'm trying to get what you're saying, and I think I do. Basically, I need to make it so it's not recording in its original aspect ratio, instead of just viewing it while playing in that up-scaled aspect ratio. Am I right so far? Because if I am, I'm baffled as to how this problem is solved on VBA. Which program were you using, because maybe I can at least do it on that as per your instructions.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
No, he's saying that when you upscaled it from the native 240x160 footage, there's some kind of filter being applied to make it all blurry. Though it probably wouldn't hurt to make sure you don't have some kind of filter over the source footage itself.

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

KingEffingFrost posted:

I feel like for a 100% skill run, the story isn't super relevant. In fact, I'd actually consider jump-cutting the text out altogether if possible.

Well, I want this to be more of an informative LP (kinda like my Metroid II LP) so I really don't want to cut out the story or mission briefings (such as they are). I think I've decided to splice in the English version of the opening cutscene and elevator monologues (I think there are only 3 of them) and just subtitle the mission briefings. Shouldn't be too hard as there's a text dump on Metroid Recon that I can use to make the subtitles with.

I'll probably make a test video in the weeks ahead to work out what would be best. Thanks for the input, everyone!

Cheeseman
Apr 1, 2001

davidspackage posted:

I know this game to be an unpolished mess with an awful interface and terrible gameplay. I kind of foresee big problems going into that blind, unless you plan on cutting out parts where you end up wandering around trying to figure stuff out.

And yeah, talking all through the intro of an adventure game kind of defeats the purpose of LPing this. The story is important even if this one isn't particularly good.

Oh and the guy ragging on Rik Mayall is kind of an idiot for it, just fyi.

We haven't totally thought it through about the aimless wandering potential, but I'm sure editing to cut that stuff will be no problem. We'll see how it goes this weekend when we do our next session and adjust accordingly. As for the intro issue, we talked about it yesterday and I believe we're going to record a clean version of the intro to add for everyone to see. Probably not the best solution, but better than having to re-record the whole first video. And, as mentioned in an earlier post, we'll stop talking over dialogue in future videos.

On a personal note, your Hopkins LP is a favorite of mine. I introduced it to the other guys last year, and we all sat down together to watch it. Certainly an inspiration in some part for us to be doing an LP.

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space

MidnightSun posted:

I DO see what you mean now. I'm trying to get what you're saying, and I think I do. Basically, I need to make it so it's not recording in its original aspect ratio, instead of just viewing it while playing in that up-scaled aspect ratio. Am I right so far? Because if I am, I'm baffled as to how this problem is solved on VBA. Which program were you using, because maybe I can at least do it on that as per your instructions.

How about this: could you maybe post your workflow? Like, how are you going from that recorded video to your finished video?

For reference, people are implying that your video, as is, should look more like this. I'm not sure if a 6x resize and adding 60 pixel borders top and bottom is the best thing to do, though. Disclaimer: I don't really know how to play this game.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Cheeseman posted:

We haven't totally thought it through about the aimless wandering potential, but I'm sure editing to cut that stuff will be no problem. We'll see how it goes this weekend when we do our next session and adjust accordingly. As for the intro issue, we talked about it yesterday and I believe we're going to record a clean version of the intro to add for everyone to see. Probably not the best solution, but better than having to re-record the whole first video. And, as mentioned in an earlier post, we'll stop talking over dialogue in future videos.
As mentioned before, be very careful with the idea that "Oh yea, it'll totally be fixed for the next video" if the problem in the first set of videos is something likely to draw people away from watching. The first videos are what people are going to use to judge if they want to watch the rest of your LP and if your first video has you guys talking over a large portion of the dialogue in an adventure game than it might push away those looking to watch an adventure game.

MidnightSun
Feb 15, 2011

I am Truthless
Alright, I get it now. I'll keep on trying to figure this out for a bit, but if I can't get it to work looking all nice and stuff, I still intend to plow forward. There's gotta be a way to record this with FRAPS. It worked on VBA in the past, and may be able to overcome this oddity.

PersonMan
Apr 3, 2009

Proteus4994 posted:

It might be bad (can't watch it at work) but don't we usually reserve this kind of response for when the poster gets all pissy that you dared criticize his LP? I feel kinda bad for the guy and that's not something that happens often...

Jesus Christ Proteus man the gently caress up. Where the gently caress was LP hugbox Proteus when I was posting poo poo?

Seriously. It was a bad lp video. If Psycho Serum wants to mock it, let him mock it. Don't feel a need to stand up for every rear end in a top hat that comes through here.

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space

MidnightSun posted:

Alright, I get it now. I'll keep on trying to figure this out for a bit, but if I can't get it to work looking all nice and stuff, I still intend to plow forward. There's gotta be a way to record this with FRAPS. It worked on VBA in the past, and may be able to overcome this oddity.

For uh, for reference, this is how I made that video, and note that what I'm doing here is be as otherwise the same as your video (getting 1080p on youtube):

Used the Rerecording fork of VBA because it seemed like a good idea at the time.
Used the built in recording to avi feature (240x160 @ 60fps video, configured it to use the lagarith codec)
Made an avisynth script as follows;
code:
AVISource("H:\LP\Gunstar.avi")
ChangeFPS(30)
PointResize(240*6,160*6)
AddBorders(0, 60, 0, 60, color=$000000)
Trim(732,0)
Trim(0,1070)
ConvertToYV12()
Encoded with megui

I don't think you really want to be using FRAPS for this. Some idea of what software you're using to produce your videos would probably get you some advice on what specifically you can do to improve things.

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

PersonMan posted:

Jesus Christ Proteus man the gently caress up. Where the gently caress was LP hugbox Proteus when I was posting poo poo?

Pretty sure I was nice to you the first time you posted poo poo.

The fifth or sixth, not as much.

Epee Em
Jan 16, 2010

:fuckthis:
Things really do look incredibly hostile here. A well-intentioned LPer who simply doesn't know what they're doing exactly? FLARGH gently caress HATE YOU gently caress YOU'RE THE WORST gently caress EVER gently caress. If I were thinking about starting a Let's Play, I'd be more inclined not to post in the sandcastle at all due to such a hostile reception, even if I thought I knew what I was doing. Is this a thread for bitching at novice LPers and scaring them off the hobby, or is it for criticism intended to help? I fail to see much of the latter.

Mush Man
Jun 25, 2010

Nintendo announces Frolf means Frog Golf.
Oven Wrangler

MeccaPrime posted:

I thought about doing that, I was just worried that mismatching the music with the spliced in cutscene might be a bit too jarring, but I guess that really couldn't be any more jarring than a bunch of Japanese text overlayed with a bunch of English subtitles.

I can definitely do this with the opening cutscene.

MeccaPrime posted:

I think I've decided to splice in the English version of the opening cutscene and elevator monologues (I think there are only 3 of them) and just subtitle the mission briefings.

Just use an audio cross-fade when splicing in the English version. You'll notice it in editing, but chances are, no-one else will. If there's a transition where the audio is silent, then it'll appear seemless if you line it up right. Subtitling isn't necessary.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It all looks more hostile than it really is when there have been a stream of poor test posts in here. It doesn't help when there are test posts for games people are incredibly fond of and defensive of like Psychonauts. I do agree with Proteus though that the properly angry typing should be reserved for when criticism is given and the test poster is a dick about it.

Psycho Serum
Apr 28, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Proteus4994 posted:

In fairness I replayed Psychonauts last week so it's still fresh in my mind how much I would like to print out a copy of the game and gently caress it, so maybe things did get a little serious business there

Vanilla Bison
Mar 27, 2010

Epee Em posted:

FLARGH gently caress HATE YOU gently caress YOU'RE THE WORST gently caress EVER gently caress.

Please add this to the OP, thanks in advance.

Comrade Question
Mar 30, 2011

"I'd say it's nothing personal, but corporations are people, too."

In addition to everything else, you might want to consider solo commentary on this one. Nothing against your friend, but unless you're talking over the dialogue (bad idea), it's hard to coordinate the commentary around it without cutting a lot of it out. Informative is the way to go here anyway, since your witty observations/small talk won't be more interesting/funny than the game itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booga
Aug 20, 2007

Xander77 posted:

Did a snake LP this? It's probably very competent but the way that guy pronounces nearly everything is incredibly grating.

• Locked thread