Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

biosterous posted:

Some of your images are way too wide.

Considering that 80% of this picture is just a bunch of grey number signs, you should probably crop out the chaff and just show us the relevant parts.

You have several run-on sentences like this. Try to break it up more.

What's a card? Why is it important? Why do you load up on rocks? I know you explain later, but you might want to make a note of that, just so people don't wonder. Something as simple as "(you'll see why later)" would help.

Talking about the mechanics is good, but talking about the controls isn't. We don't really need to know what buttons you're pressing.

Alright definitely! I was going for informative for people who would want to play themselves, but I can see how that gets annoying. I'll work on the run-on sentences, part of the reason I want to do this is to work on my writing skills, and consistently get better at writing.

I'll do more editting, I can see what you mean with that image. Also the first one, I think I'll add something explaining the interface. I'll re-write everything and throw it back up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Nietzschean posted:

Hello friends, I am planning on doing a LP for Terraria to highlight the game as of the new v1.2 content patch. I have included a couple of 15-minute videos below to demonstrate how the final videos would look. I would really appreciate some feedback on the technical side of things, as I am new to video editing and uploading things to YouTube. I have thus far just recorded in FRAPS, while running the game natively at fullscreen 1920x1080, then converting to MP4 via MovieMaker. General feedback would also be appreciated, with regards to pacing and if I overlooked anything that needed to be explained at the beginning.

Video 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xqk_k5Ygq-4
Video 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BanJ3VAlTOk

For crying out loud, don't go through the menu like that! You aren't making a tech-assistance video. You should reduce the introduction to the barest possible minimum, and delegate any general information about the game to the OP. Also skip over the loading screen. As it is, it takes you 6 minutes just to start the game, that's absolutely terrible, and I can't imagine many people making it that far into a video without seeing any substantial content.

My recommendation would be that you should start the game with some sort of clearly stated short-term goal, just to keep people interested and with a frame of reference, and to give you an opportunity to gradually explore and introduce mechanics in a more organized way.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Six minutes and 51 seconds before you get into the game

Bloody hell. Keep your introductions succinct and punchy, you absolutely do not need to go digging through all of the menu options like that, assuming the viewer is a moron doesn't serve Let's Play videos well.

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

There's something very very wrong with your voice sound - it has constant distortion like the tone you would get if something was peaking out, but somehow it happens 100% of the time. Not sure how that's possible - is it raw audio or did you process it in some way?

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks folks for the feedback on the slow start. For the actual LP, I can just skip straight to loading into the new world. I just realized that it's possible to make a character, then make a world, then delete that character, make a new one, and join the previously made world. That might be a lot better, I think.

unfair posted:

There's something very very wrong with your voice sound - it has constant distortion like the tone you would get if something was peaking out, but somehow it happens 100% of the time. Not sure how that's possible - is it raw audio or did you process it in some way?

I did no audio editing. FRAPS (AVI) --> MovieMaker (MP4) --> YouTube

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Nietzschean posted:

I just realized that it's possible to make a character, then make a world, then delete that character, make a new one, and join the previously made world. That might be a lot better, I think.

Alternatively just edit out the loading screen?

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

Nietzschean posted:

I did no audio editing. FRAPS (AVI) --> MovieMaker (MP4) --> YouTube

You should check if the AVI is like that from the mic or it somehow got distorted along the way. Generally you also want to record the audio separate from the video, using something like Audacity. This will allow you to noise remove if necessary and things like ducking which you can't do if it's already baked into the FRAPS recording.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
That also brushes up awful hard against Rule 3's "expansion packs count" subclause?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

CraigK posted:

That also brushes up awful hard against Rule 3's "expansion packs count" subclause?

I agree, it might be okay, but it's definitely in "PM a mod first" territory.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Couple of questions:

1. Which of these pairs of images is a good size for a VN LP? The first one looks better, but it's way too big. The second is the right size, but the text seems a bit smudged, no?

2. You might notice Cyrus has a minor change in expression between the two pictures (look at his eyes). The game has a whole bunch of subtle expression shifts like that, which is one of the things that makes it really awesome, but hard to convey in screenshot form. Should I bother making seperate mugshots/screenshots, or should I just stick to the major facial expressions?

3. How do you guys remove the background for your mugshots?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

SSNeoman posted:

3. How do you guys remove the background for your mugshots?
I know a lot of folks just get transparent pngs from the appropriate wiki pages, but if that's outside the realm of possibility, you might just have to do your best in the image editor of your choice.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

The White Dragon posted:

I know a lot of folks just get transparent pngs from the appropriate wiki pages, but if that's outside the realm of possibility, you might just have to do your best in the image editor of your choice.
Aye, or if you can find an image with a solid background color, it's not too difficult to add a transparent alpha channel to the image and that'll give you a transparent background. It's not too hard to do in GIMP really.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
Just do your best to use an image of the character where the backdrop isn't some weird color and it's not really a thing.

red mammoth
Nov 3, 2011

Stupid sexy Stalin!

SSNeoman posted:

2. You might notice Cyrus has a minor change in expression between the two pictures (look at his eyes). The game has a whole bunch of subtle expression shifts like that, which is one of the things that makes it really awesome, but hard to convey in screenshot form. Should I bother making seperate mugshots/screenshots, or should I just stick to the major facial expressions?

I don't notice any difference between his expression in the four different screenshots. I'd just stick to the major expressions.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Get ready for another round of Blip purges, I just got a notification they are terminating my account in early November. All my internet popularity points; gone like tears in the rain.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Lazyfire posted:

Get ready for another round of Blip purges, I just got a notification they are terminating my account in early November. All my internet popularity points; gone like tears in the rain.

Meanwhile I got my first ad revenue payout from them this week. :v: I still have a hard time to believe it actually.

Edit: Oh nvm, I just noticed mine is slated for purging as well. Guess I really should get around to upload at least my Halo and Splinter Cell videos to youtube.
My HAWX stuff is kinda hosed though so I guess they'll remain on Viddler until they purge me there as well.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Oct 8, 2013

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Lazyfire posted:

Just came in to post this. Oh well, I had all but stopped using them anyway.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
When I went to watch a video today to see what blip had been up to, I got the same AT&T ad I did last year. Is AT&T the only thing keeping blip alive?

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Suspicious Dish posted:

When I went to watch a video today to see what blip had been up to, I got the same AT&T ad I did last year. Is AT&T the only thing keeping blip alive?

No, there are a ton of unfunny 20-somethings comedians who buy like Blip pro or whatever it is so they can promote their pretend TV show about being a cool person.

I don't think I can properly articulate how bad those shows are.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Lazyfire posted:

No, there are a ton of unfunny 20-somethings comedians who buy like Blip pro or whatever it is so they can promote their pretend TV show about being a cool person.

I don't think I can properly articulate how bad those shows are.

If you want to see just how bad Blip shows can get, this is a good place to start.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
I just got hit by the great Blip purge. Time to transfer my first couple of LPs over to Vif's site as the download alternative..

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
I just got the email as well. Is there even a good option to use as an alternative host these days or has it basically boiled down to YouTube and self-hosting?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

I just got the email as well. Is there even a good option to use as an alternative host these days or has it basically boiled down to YouTube and self-hosting?
You could try purposely mislabeling your videos and host on Vimeo; hell, I think there are still some 'I wanna be the guy' videos on there from the LP on the archive.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

ScurvyKip has been using Daily Motion as a secondary host for his Xenosaga LP. I haven't been watching the videos there, but apparently it's much better than it used to be. Sample video.

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

There's always Gamer Stube dot com. :v:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Didn't that guy threaten to sue Lowtax or something?

Atomic Spud
Jun 24, 2013

DarkHamsterlord posted:

If you want to see just how bad Blip shows can get, this is a good place to start.

This stuff cannot be real. I refuse to believe that someone gets paid to post videos that rate anime fanservice. What the gently caress blip.

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

He started off hostile to criticism and then started blaming us for "DDoSing" his site. But I think he eventually came around and started taking actual criticism, so maybe Mr. Stube wasn't so bad after all.

Either that or I'm remembering wrong. I can't find the thread here on my phone.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Phimose Knight posted:

So... is this Bird School (For The Birds): The Game? Heard some good poo poo about it.

I guess the only thing I can find (or can't, rather) is that there's no commentary. Then again, maybe the game speaks for itself, so take that as you will :v:

e: oh duh italics.
Yes it is, also there might have been a better way to make the commentary thing more obvious in the OP.

jonjonaug posted:

I'd recommend toning this down a lot or not doing it at all, Hiyoko is a pretty great protagonist on her own merits to begin with.

Edit: Also you should explain the VA gags since those aren't translated in the CGs.
Do you mean in the case of the opening bit or as a whole? The "additions" are pretty sparse past the introduction part, and that was more to just give a proper intro to the character and the character sprite. In most cases the idea was just to give more context to some of her actions, but I can see where that could just come off in white noise in certain cases. I can certainly tone it down if it's an issue.

As far as "VA gags", you mean explaining who the VAs are for each character? Because that'd be pretty easy to fit in, and there are definitely some interesting choices in there.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Atomic Spud posted:

This stuff cannot be real. I refuse to believe that someone gets paid to post videos that rate anime fanservice. What the gently caress blip.

You'll get paid a couple of bucks for every 1,000 impressions the ads on your videos make, unless Blip has changed their pay schedules. And considering how absurdly anti-creator they have traditionally been I imagine they haven't. I remember one time I bought a month of Pro because I didn't want to gently caress around with their byzantine encoder rules anymore, and they turned on ads without my input for about two weeks. I was perplexed when I was scheduled to get about 20 bucks at the end of the month, my Pro subscription expired, and my ad payout magically went to 10 dollars instead.

So sure, perhaps these people do get beer money every now and again, but unless they are getting 10k+ ad impressions per week they are not really getting any actual money out of it.

I dunno if our blip channel has been eradicated yet, but I honestly can't say I care. Blip's attitude toward the content creator is so loving asinine. They will host your video, but it's up to you to create it, pimp it out, advertise it, aggregate your community somewhere, engage everyone who wants to talk to you on your technology, and basically do everything except run the server that spits out the video. They like to pretend that they're providing so much value by automatically letting you re-broadcast it to iTunes or where the gently caress ever, but since Blip doesn't provide a way to subscribe to a content creator, communicate with them, or even easily find similar/related videos from their basic website layout to aid in content discovery this is roughly the same thing as shoveling out a movie license game and wondering why it doesn't sell. Compare this to Youtube, which has one click subscribe functionality, a great related videos sidebar to help drive new discovery to your poo poo, and a very well integrated comment/messaging back end to encourage people to interact with you. I don't care about the historical awfulness of 'youtube comments', I'll take the ability to interact with my viewing base over technology-induced stone silence any day.

MeccaPrime posted:

He started off hostile to criticism and then started blaming us for "DDoSing" his site. But I think he eventually came around and started taking actual criticism, so maybe Mr. Stube wasn't so bad after all.

Either that or I'm remembering wrong. I can't find the thread here on my phone.
My memory is that he was hostile to the serious questions on what his plan was with the site (it became very quickly obvious that he HAD no plan, he just sort of expected this site to start turning a profit Because Ads), he ignored suggestions for major workflow fixes and other things that would've made his site a lot better to use (presumably because it was a hard thing to do and he didn't want to publicly say so), and responded positively to smaller or configuration changes that could be made easily, and did legitimately improve the site a bit.

However I still have no idea how a site like that is going to turn anything resembling a profit, so it'll probably die the second Mr. Stube gets tired of keeping the lights on.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 8, 2013

Dartigan
Oct 7, 2013

Atomic Spud posted:

Just check out the garbage produced by That Guy With The Glasses contributors. It boggles my mind that some of those people make enough to quit their jobs and do it full time.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

BMS posted:

Well I'll be honest with you, I had some reservations about another Demon's Crest LP. But after watching the video that you posted I was pleasantly surprised. As to your question, the video and audio quality of both the game and yourself appeared fine to me. My only little nitpick with it is that the game audio seemed a little low, even with your voice going. It was audible, but I don't think it would hurt to turn it up a notch or two, but like I say, this is a very small gripe. As for the commentary, I thought it was a good blend of being informative and had enough humor thrown in when the game presented it, but you didn't go over the top with it which is a big plus.

To sum it up, I'm impressed with what I see so far, and will take a look at the thread if and when you post it. The only things I'd tweak aside from raising the audio, would be dealing with your OP. Basically adding a little more information about the game, such as any interesting history involving its development (if any), and maybe some simple little enemy bios, because I'm a stickler for those when they're done right. So, good show!

Thanks for the input. Personally I thought the audio leveling was just fine (at least just the way I like it), but maybe that's me using headphones, I'll have to look into that. Turning up the audio a bit when I actually want to highlight something from it will definitely not hurt, though.

The OP is a work in progress, of course. I prefer to keep them minimal to avoid spoilers (because I hate spoilers) and there isn't an awful lot more to say about the game's background at this stage. but I do plan on adding some more info as we go along, featuring items, bosses and maybe even the areas. Perhaps I'll even try to come up with some backstory here, because the game doesn't go into that, sadly. But this is something I'll decide later.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
For people who enjoy random moments of hubris: Soup Inspector has to eat a hat if votes can keep the hero alive for 2 more updates of Long Live the Queen.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

SSNeoman posted:

I recently played this myself, and I'd say that unless you put it in gif form to make it more obvious, stick to main facial expressions. Tiny movements like that are hard to track across a couple screenshots, so the variation goes basically unnoticed.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Listening to Retsutalk today and hearing all the DarkSydePhil descriptions made me look him up because I had never really watched/heard of him until recent weeks.

That's how I stumbled upon this house of horrors:

http://youtube.wikia.com/wiki/DarksydePhil

Yes, that's Phil's supposed home address posted by fans. That whole site is terrifying stuff written either by the person themselves or by their megafans who appear to be space aliens translating from their language to German and then to English.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare
I love that his list of quotes are ALL about how terrible he is being at any given game...

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

quote:

Incomplete Playthroughs

Phoenix Wright My Turnabout case 5 (Stopped because the last case was too challenging)

Ignoring the fact that that is a case that doesn't exist (probably some fan who doesn't know what it's called..?), he stopped playing a game where all you do is read and think because it was too challenging?

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

ChaosArgate posted:

Ignoring the fact that that is a case that doesn't exist (probably some fan who doesn't know what it's called..?), he stopped playing a game where all you do is read and think because it was too challenging?

That's a pretty long list of games he gave up because they were too hard or frustrating.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

MooCowlian posted:

That's a pretty long list of games he gave up because they were too hard or frustrating.

I'm not counting that poo poo or anything, but I think it's possible he gave up on more than he finished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

MooCowlian posted:

I'm surprised he supposedly finished Metal Gear Rising, given that 1, the final boss sounds insane and 2, his absolute hatred for Metal Gear.

• Locked thread