Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

its good from a technical standpoint although i didn't watch the videos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dr. Fetus posted:

Really, the main feedback I'm looking for here is the technical stuff. The commentary and actual content is just a skeleton. I won't be starting this one up just yet, but I just want to make sure everything's in order before I start working on the actual LP. I'm using a different emulator than what I used in my last LP, so I want to make sure the screenshots, gifs, and video and audio quality are good.

Screenshots, gifs, and audio are all good, but I didn't see any links to any video in the test post though. I'd say you're just about set beyond that. Good luck with it.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Oh, this was the video. I edited it into my quoted post. Probably not gonna have too much of those, but I want to make sure it's watchable. I noticed a slight bit of audio desync while editing it, but after I uploaded it, it seemed fine. Just wanna make sure that's not just me. And thank you.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dr. Fetus posted:

Oh, this was the video. I edited it into my quoted post. Probably not gonna have too much of those, but I want to make sure it's watchable. I noticed a slight bit of audio desync while editing it, but after I uploaded it, it seemed fine. Just wanna make sure that's not just me. And thank you.

No problem. If you're just gonna do a few of them, I'd suggest slowing things down a little. You kind of blow through the menus awfully quick to get to the :black101: good stuff. I know you cover all that in the thread, but that's just my thoughts on it.

Beyond that, the video looked and sounded fine to me. So I'd say you're all set.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

No problem. If you're just gonna do a few of them, I'd suggest slowing things down a little. You kind of blow through the menus awfully quick to get to the :black101: good stuff. I know you cover all that in the thread, but that's just my thoughts on it.

Beyond that, the video looked and sounded fine to me. So I'd say you're all set.

Ah, that's because I was using Desmume's built in recorder. It slows down the emulator a ton, but the recording comes out at normal speed, which makes it look like I'm going through the menus super fast. I'll keep that in mind, thanks.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Dr. Fetus posted:

Ah, that's because I was using Desmume's built in recorder. It slows down the emulator a ton, but the recording comes out at normal speed, which makes it look like I'm going through the menus super fast. I'll keep that in mind, thanks.
Well there is a way to work around this; you just have to record a 'movie' in the emulator (which is a TAS tool to record input) and then record an avi from the 'movie'.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Niggurath posted:

Well there is a way to work around this; you just have to record a 'movie' in the emulator (which is a TAS tool to record input) and then record an avi from the 'movie'.

Oh, thanks! That really helped with that. Although from the way you described how it works, isn't it possible for desyncs between the inputs and the game to happen?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Dr. Fetus posted:

Oh, thanks! That really helped with that. Although from the way you described how it works, isn't it possible for desyncs between the inputs and the game to happen?
Nope, it works out perfectly fine. Really the only drawback is that it does kinda double the work you have to do for just what I assume to be ancillary material.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
It's best to check out what people use for TAS videos and use that, if you want a guarantee you won't be recording it again.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Flarisic posted:

Total Newbie to SA, but if I wanted to see 2-bit attempts at comedy or mindless posts from people who don't get the attention they seek, I would have just kept reading Youtube comments. This thread full of useless posts. After having to read the rules, I'm actually disappointed because I bet this thread was something years ago. Maybe not very much, but something better than this. Coming up with a new name for this thread is unnecessary as well, people understand the intention just fine, and if I'm wrong on that then at least agree that we don't need more criticizers in this thread, but instead, more sandcastles to be criticized.

Anyway, since what I just said lacks the relevance to this thread's topic, I'll chime in with an opinion that was asked for

You'll probably attract a really pathetic and desperate audience while turning away ones that feel like your face isn't important enough to block a corner of the game. In my honest opinion, it'll only help if you have another gimmick going for you, but that's if you want to be a gimmick itself.

I'll try and ignore my instincts to make fun of you, and will answer you seriously instead: Face it, you can't expect people to feel enthusiastic about giving essentially the same advice over and over for like eight years now. LP is just a pseudohobby, and on an individual level, any desire to take it as a serious debate subject will eventually fade away.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

steinrokkan posted:

Face it, you can't expect people to feel enthusiastic about giving essentially the same advice over and over for like eight years now.

Then don't frequent the Sandcastle :ssh:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Then don't frequent the Sandcastle :ssh:

This is a free country.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

steinrokkan posted:

I'll try and ignore my instincts to make fun of you, and will answer you seriously instead: Face it, you can't expect people to feel enthusiastic about giving essentially the same advice over and over for like eight years now. LP is just a pseudohobby, and on an individual level, any desire to take it as a serious debate subject will eventually fade away.

You can't really expect people to take you seriously if you tell them they're wrong to enjoy the things they enjoy or take seriously the things they do, either. "LP is a pseudohobby" is shorthand for "I don't bother to pay attention to what anyone around me says or to what's happening in the world and I'm just here to piss on everyone else's work, so just ignore me."

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Nidoking posted:

You can't really expect people to take you seriously if you tell them they're wrong to enjoy the things they enjoy or take seriously the things they do, either. "LP is a pseudohobby" is shorthand for "I don't bother to pay attention to what anyone around me says or to what's happening in the world and I'm just here to piss on everyone else's work, so just ignore me."

It's actually shorthand for "don't whine like a baby when somebody doesn't have the same attitude about the appropriate level of discourse re. your vidya game videos".

There are people who just want to chill in some thread without the desire to be constructive all the time (which is fully in the SA spirit) - sadly there isn't a thread like that, and the mods seem unwilling to let one be created, so it ends up in the Sandcastle. I see no reason why a thread like the blasting zone couldn't exist with literally just the GBS rules applied to it. If "shitposters" such as myself shouldn't post here, then there should be a thread where they could post without the fear of being reported by some LP-only poster who thinks his precious community is being insulted.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

So you're saying there should be a GBS thread in every subforum in case, say, someone wanted to post in Debate and Discussion without caring about that subforum's rules or accepted practices?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

pun pundit posted:

So you're saying there should be a GBS thread in every subforum in case, say, someone wanted to post in Debate and Discussion without caring about that subforum's rules or accepted practices?

There's a D&D chat thread that basically works like that, and paradoxically D&D is a way more relaxed subforum than LP.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

pun pundit posted:

I actually like this idea

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
To be honest, VoidBurger, some facecam dumper came in, we told him the videos didn't have the community standards we were used to, and when he got mad about it and didn't change a thing, that's when the posts making fun of him started.

What would you have preferred to see differently there?

Note that the dumb goon house crew that literally posts hentai on threads for some reason is really bad and I fully approve of them not being a thing. I want to see them gone as well.

Suspicious Dish fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Mar 24, 2015

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Suspicious Dish posted:

Note that the dumb goon house crew that literally posts hentai on threads for some reason is tally bad and I fully approve of them. I want to see them gone as well.

Yeah we should ban goonhouse especially the part where goonhouse isn't actually a thing.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Dr. Fetus posted:

It might be worth resizing it to 720 vertical or more (for DS at 256x192 that's 1024x768 I think) to get rid of the slight Youtube blurriness.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Dr. Fetus posted:

Really, the main feedback I'm looking for here is the technical stuff. The commentary and actual content is just a skeleton. I won't be starting this one up just yet, but I just want to make sure everything's in order before I start working on the actual LP. I'm using a different emulator than what I used in my last LP, so I want to make sure the screenshots, gifs, and video and audio quality are good.

The video was technically fine, but you went through the options so fast I couldn't follow what commands you had selected or what they actually do. From my perspective, that tends to make the videos pointless.

I admit that I sometimes do that myself with my Last Remnant videos, but in fairness, the battles take a long time and you can better see what your units are doing even if I don't show the commands ahead of time.

The screenshot portion seems fine.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Niggurath posted:

Nope, it works out perfectly fine.

Except for the whole "if you use it, you can't make normal saves which you need to use it" thing. DeSmuME's keystroke recording feature is useful, but it makes you jump through hoops to make it work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

New sandcastle is posted. Closing this out.

• Locked thread