Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Brainamp posted:

The only reason to do SR3 as single player is if you are doing an informative run. I haven't watched the video yet, but it sounds like that is the farthest thing from what you want do. As Coolguye said there are several ways to do the multiple POV thing, whether having transitions or two separate videos is all up to you, but the L4D lp and the Fear 3 lp are good references.
And let's not forget that having player 2 do some crazy and unexplainable stuff off-screen can be its own kind of fun, like with Mercenaries 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

TraumaticRatio posted:

By the way, does anyone here know some sVirus guy? He's been on 2 of my posts and just seems to want to antagonize me. I saw someone else on a different thread complain about him too, so I just want to know if any of you know what his deal is. In a way, I'd rather have him say what he has to say to me here then on yt.

Possibly just a wandering troll. Unless he says something substantial, it's best just to ignore him.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Skippy Granola posted:

I just batch resized them down to keep the post from being too crazy long. 600 pixels wide is pretty good for an SSLP, I think, and I can make out what's going on pretty well.

600x450 is just proportionate.

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=2249

So I added more content. I figured I could cram all of chapter 1 into one post, which I think works out nicely.

Also put some animated gifs in there but I had to make them slightly smaller so they'd come in under 2 megs.

40 pixels won't make much of a difference, and it means not dealing with resizing filters or batch jobs.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

MeccaPrime posted:

Holy poo poo. :stare:

Gotta get those Starcraft 2 Google searchers no matter loving what.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I use Word because holy poo poo I write a lot. "Draft" format gets rid of the page images, which saves space. I also use a text document for the image file addresses and paste them in as I go, and I have Irfanview up to make sure I'm getting the right ones in.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Jewel posted:

JPG has multiple quality levels. If you can't save as a higher quality jpg (yours look really really low quality for some reason), try saving them as png but mass converting them to a high quality jpg. You never want to use png for anything non-pixel however.

Jade Empire is high-detail enough that jpg works properly and all png will do is inflate the file size much higher. I feel I should add though that, if you're capturing images from a video, you won't need to use pngs. Finally, most programs use around 80-85% quality as the default, and that's usually where you'll want them to be.

Now as a side note, and I'm assuming you're capturing from footage since you're discussing a video editor, but is your raw footage lossy or lossless? Lossless may take up more space, but it'll mean fewer dips in quality as you process it into videos and/or screenshots.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Xander77 posted:

I captured directly from Fraps footage using avspmod. The default there is 70%, so that's what I used. Hang on a sec...

85. Better? It still defaults to 70, which I need to stop.

I guess I'll also need to find a way to crop out the blackness, either in avspmod or infranview.

You should probably make two jpgs to compare the quality drop rather than jpg vs png. png will always look better, but in games this detailed it's just not worth the file size.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Xander77 posted:

Oh yeah, and here's a png converted to jpg via infranview:

I think the 100 quality is unreasonably large, but the others are approximately the same size, so it's just a question of which is best in terms of quality. I can't really see the differences there, so let me know?

At what quality level? drat. Since both png's and Fraps footage are lossless, creating a jpg from either source shouldn't matter. The only thing that does matter is the quality level the jpg is set to.

Seeing how much is lost is a matter of examining the right areas. I'll use the characters' faces in this example.

The 100% quality jpg is essentially a lossless jpg, hence the sudden jump in size. We'll use this for reference.

Take a close look at the protagonist's nose, and also at the lock of hair in front of his opponent's face. See how the colors sort of go nuts in an aura around those areas? That's artifacting. It's not so bad here, and you probably wouldn't notice it unless you were looking closely as we are now. Some spots are worse than others where the algorithm doesn't expect you to look; see what's happened to the post between the center man and the opponent? Look in particular at the top fence log right where it intersects the post and compare that to how it looks on the lossless image above.

This image is 35 KB smaller, but is it worth it? Look at the opponent's hair now, and the sash across the main character's chest. See how the blocks have moved up in size compared to the image above? The artifacting is the same around the posts in the middle ground, but the quality loss has more significantly affected the contrast between light and dark areas. Since this is happening more to the characters people are paying attention to, it's a bigger problem. 85 is a good compromise between detail and size.

Of course, it's also harder to tell than usual what with all the bloody blurry bloom in this game. This is just a personal opinion you can ignore, but turn that poo poo off.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Stratafyre posted:

Yeah, it's the last bit. The initial audio has a nice, loud sound of the ship's engine and ventilation system in the background. I'm not sure how to get rid of it without clipping the audio.

Just in case you didn't know how noise removal works, what you do is you highlight a part of the audio where you aren't talking and click "Get Noise Profile." You can then highlight the full audio track and Noise Removal will only get rid of background noise.

If you already know that and you're having this problem, then the only thing you can really do is to lower your microphone's sensitivity.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Xander77 posted:

I... honestly can't tell. It might be my monitor, I may be going blind at my old age, but it takes some really big differences for me to notice for more than a second. So the bloom question is entirely up to the audience.

(I still need a way to set avspmod's jpg generation at a certain value, without having to change it manually every time)

Copy the frame with Ctrl-C or however the program works and save it in Irfanview, which does remember where you set the quality? Dunno if you'd call that faster or not.

I know doing that will work if you use Ctrl-1 in VirtualDub, at least.

Bobbin Threadbare fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 10, 2012

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Cleretic posted:

Thanks for the suggestions, Mastigo. I think the newlines somehow came from copy-pasting from Notepad to LPix, so I fixed those. Hopefully this works better.

I've run into that one before. The easiest way I've found to fix the problem is to turn off word wrap when copy/pasting from Notepad into the post.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Try using the [s] tag for the parts you screwed up, then put the correction in below it. That way you acknowledge your error while also fixing it. Oh, and also let the thread know in a new post, as well.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I just checked an old video and one of my new ones and I got a source download option for both of them.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Suspicious Dish posted:

This is a bug in Firefox not respecting vertical-align: sub; properly. I've reproduced a simple test case here and will file it with them later. Chromium, Safari, Opera and IE9 should all look OK.

I did try to design it so that the grid layout didn't look too bad regardless.

I'm currently fiddling around with the audio trying to get Noise Removal to work without making me sound like a robot. I'm having limited success, and will update the video a little bit later.

Are you using "Get Noise Profile" on an empty stretch of microphone audio first? The normal settings have always worked fine for me so long as I do that.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

kidcoelacanth posted:

The only reason they should take it down for alcohol is because there wasn't enough consumed.

I was hoping he'd pour out the drink, rethink it, and then chug the bottle instead.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Considering that the "bros" will have to cover up another part of the video to react to the adults reacting to the video, I propose that the next video skip straight to the Brady Bunch parody.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Can't believe it took me ten minutes to say it all out loud. I gotta admit, I went through it twice, once to read and again to edit, but I still can't remember a single word of that nonsense.

I thought about turning it into a video somehow, but :effort:

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Cangelosi posted:

I'm sure we can send him screenshots of our thread every few days and post them up on his blog to show otherwise.

Make sure there's a daily newspaper in the shot so he knows it's recent!

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

S.D. posted:

So, I've been trying to figure out Fraps and encoding a Fraps file using Mediacoder in order to record cutscenes from City of Heroes.

Here is one of the results.

I really don't know what I'm doing here, to be honest - is this a good quality encode? I've mostly been following a couple of the starter links in the LP Tech thread but I'm pretty much all thumbs at this...

You should probably go to the Tech Support thread for this rather than the Sandcastle.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Give him a good week's probation so he can't come here during the honeymoon.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

So all this talk about scare cams has inspired me to cash in on the trend. Think it's any good?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

njsykora posted:

In what universe did he think pimping his Youtube channel in GBS was a good idea?

But Let's Play has a rule against Youtube dumping! That means it's cool to do it someplace else, right?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

One extra note on what others have said: I keep all my retakes in a separate channel from the main commentary. It's a lot easier to keep things synced that way.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Lazy Programming posted:

Slowbeef, can you reword rule 8 so it says that don't post a LP here unless you are starting it for these forums, don't post a bunch of youtube links, etc or something? The current wording is vague enough that people who haven't lurked aren't going to get it. Especially get rid of the unless it's really really good clause, no amount of personality, editing ability, or anything is going to be better than having audience participation.

Well, people who don't read the rules won't read the rules, but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to explicitly describe a Youtube dump and how that's unacceptable.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Danaru posted:

The comment system might work if there's some kind of confirmation thing similar to LPix, that confirms that you have an active SA account. Otherwise I imagine it would devolve into youtube levels of commenting fairly fast.

Because we know SA posters only produce quality commentary! Just ask Orenronen or however you spell that.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

ApeHawk posted:

Does the three month rule affect Telltale's TWD? Like, is it cool to LP it now or does he have to wait three months after the last episode released?

I'd call it at 3 months for each independent episode. After all, everyone who actually plays the games will have that time to wait and speculate, too.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

You could always just link the playlist (and thread, if you have one) in the video description. If you list it first, the viewer wouldn't even need to click the "more" button.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

RoeCocoa posted:

If it was up to me, I'd start with the least interesting and work my way up to the most interesting-- and by interesting, I don't necessarily mean technologically advanced. This is the series that has creepy teleporting Watson in at least one scene, right? And I'm sure there are other amusing tricks and bugs that you could show off, probably more of them in the earlier games than the later ones.

I don't know if the in-universe chronological order is the same as the order in which the games were released; if it isn't, then maybe present the games in the order in which they take place.

Ultimately, though, you should do whatever you think will keep you interested in the LP. Six games will mean a lot of work, even if they are fairly short games individually.

I can vouch that creepy teleporting Watson shows up during the Cthulhu game at the very least.

Something I remember from my English classes is that the audience always remembers the first and last part of any work the best. As such, my recommendation is that you bookend your megathread with the two best games--leave whichever one you think might drive up anticipation for last and place the second-best in front.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Masamushia posted:

Firstly, thank you so much for your input. I definitely see what you mean, I'll take a different approach on the explaining mechanics, items and buffs. That's always the biggest oversight is thinking in the perspective of someone who has never even touched the series, it's a nasty habit of mine I've been trying to break. As for the speeding through things, it was more an experiment than anything, I wasn't sure how much to show/not show. The only reason I cut through things the way I did was because majority of the fights are pretty repetitive through the zone. I think I'm going to just abandon that whole thing and just plow through the dungeons taking the most direct route to the goal. You're right, doing a VLP just to get to cutscenes is not the way to go.

There are a few options you could take to get around the issues raised by the extremely procedurally generated zones/dungeons in the .hack series. The first thing you should probably do is to play through a full dungeon--not just the tutorial, but the first real dungeon--straight, without any gimmicks or editing. Just you, the main character, and the central gameplay that .hack has to offer. Doing this basically explains to the audience why you'll be skipping over so much in the future and shows us exactly what we'd be missing (and why we shouldn't miss it).

That done, there are a few ways to handle future dungeons. First, bonus dungeons and sidequests should probably be cut out entirely unless they have some unique content; the first time you encounter a new biome, for instance. Second, every time you encounter a new item (that isn't a flat upgrade to something you've already got), you should spend a moment to explain exactly what it is and why it's important or unimportant. Take some time to show off the skills and spells you acquire, too, and use more party members than you would normally, just to give them some time to show off. Finally, you should slow down when you get to plot dungeons, show more than usual of the game to provide an appropriate level of buildup. Even still, jumping straight from plot floor to plot floor probably won't leave out too much of what these games have to offer.

One alternate option would be getting a co-commentator to help pass the time. I wouldn't recommend this unless you have a ready-made companion, though, since you'll need to know if you work well together ahead of time, otherwise you'll wind up dragging each other down.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Dithiannim posted:

Thanks, this feedback helps me as well.
Here is the stuff of .hack//G.U. I've done already, could you take a look?
Part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ang_wD7Ptj4
Part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUfHdEENWSY
Thank you.

The first thing is that your videos could stand to be much shorter. The first one, for instance, could be cut just before entering the dungeon, and the second one could be divided just after the dungeon ends. Second, if you're going to interject between dialogue, you should either take it slower so you have time to say the whole thing or else say nothing at all; getting half of a sentence out just isn't quite enough. And don't be afraid to do retakes if you don't manage it the first time; you can place the retake in a separate channel to avoid desyncing your audio. I won't comment one way or the other as to whether .hack should be video or screenshots.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

See post 2 for details.

Bobbin Threadbare fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Dec 4, 2012

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Sorry if this is a double post. Forum just wigged out on me for a sec.

I'm pretty sure that the recycled LP rule only applies to making new threads. Posting an ongoing LP in the Sandcastle for comments and criticisms is alright, so long as you do not turn around and post it in the forum. After all, any heeded advice could be applied to the next go-round.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Proton Jon posted:

Based on what I've seen online, he's 18 or 19, and just started post-secondary this year.

So young enough to still be stupid, but still old enough to ought to know better.

BFC posted:

I feel disgusted and now must reevaluate why LP is a hobby of mine.

Nah, the LP'ers were only being nice and got tricked. I'd feel worse about the ROM hackers who don't lie about illness to get publicity.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

cKnoor posted:

LW bitrate is a common encoding term, if you had read a video encoding guide in the tech fort you'd have known this. I know you make SSLPs so you might not have come across it, but just because you don't know what it means doesn't make it technobabble. It seems like you're just trying to poo poo on a discussion about video quality. Why? If you don't have any other reason than that perhaps you should just leave the conversation?

I think he's simply asking you to define your terms. Remember that most folks here are amateurs when it comes to videos and video encoding, and that means that it can help to explain even the simplest and most common terms when trying to argue that your points are valid.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

You might consider linking the archive images to save space.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Egomaniac posted:

You mean linking directly to lpix? I don't think the post is particularly crowded though, and most updates will have only from 0 to 2 archive images. Besides, when I did the first LP I put all the archives in a single post and linked it in each update and people told me I should have done it this way instead.

I used links for the images in my Thief trilogy and Alpha Protocol LP's, mostly for spoiler purposes, but I was never once asked to present the images instead. Maybe the spoiler bit is why. Still, I think I would have done it like that anyway, simply because the first page can get pretty heavy with updates even without all the images cluttering things up. If you posted all the archive images into a single page and only redirected there, it could be that all the images on one page was the irritating part, rather than the "following a link" aspect. I'd certainly agree either way to present the appropriate archive pages with each update, either with a link or an image, but it's obviously up to you which you think would work best.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

BioEnchanted posted:

Why do you think that is, that people tend to point the crosshair slightly down anyway? It's an interesting phenomenon. Is there anything to explain it? I
never noticed myself doing it, but it must be unconscious.

It's related to the fact that we do it in real life. We're watching the ground in front of us so that we know where to place our feet. Try walking cross-country or on an unfamiliar road sometime and see how long you can keep your head up before either getting anxious and looking back down or else tripping over something.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

For my current LP, Alpha Protocol, I divide the updates based primarily on missions. At this point I'm nearly finished, and the record for video lengths stands at 38 minutes at one end and 6 minutes at the other. Two missions have taken longer than 40 minutes, and both of those I divided in half at what I'd consider fairly major stage shifts in the mission. My previous VLP of the Thief trilogy had missions that were much longer, sometimes an hour or more, and without any cinematics to divide things naturally, I cut the videos into more-or-less even lengths that would leave them between 15-25 minutes long. However, I also added my commentary to the whole mission at once so that, once taken together, the video set would work cohesively if someone watched them all at once.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

ThePeavstenator posted:

The only problem is that it's attached to the headset I'm using and I have it below my chin extended as far away and down as it can be. I can't eliminate microphone boosting either because then the microphone is way too quiet.

Try bringing it up to level with your nose instead. That seems to work well for me. Also, keeping it more to the side might work better than simply "away."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

And then of course there's the very real chance that someone will disappear, either before making a thread or in the middle of the LP. It happens, both with and without warning. I think out of all the LP's I've done, only 2-3 weren't ever covered before, partially or completely.

• Locked thread