Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
These are for a Mass Effect hybrid LP I'm planning on possibly doing in the future, if I find I can commit to it. I want to capture all the video at the very least, first, if not write out all the updates. So it won't be coming for quite a while (playing a game twice in a row isn't exactly fun for me, but I'm having a good enough time with this one, despite only having rebeat it less than two weeks ago). Here's some mock updates for a dialouge heavy update and an action heavy update.

Update 1: Shakedown Run

Update 7: Visions

Things I'm seeing that I could improve upon from the test poster myself: Reduce the walls of floating heads by putting in a few more screenshots during dialogue bits. Also, debating still on a 75x75 profile picture or a 64x64. Can you see the 64x64 ones well enough in the second update post?

Keep in mind these aren't anywhere near final, if they don't have to be. I want to make sure that I'll actually finish the LPs first, I just want to make sure that what I have in style so far is fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Feinne posted:

Yeah there is at very least one conversation that probably demands a video.

Oh no doubt. Several very, very important ones will be given videos, but it won't be a very common occurrence. There's at least four off the top of my head that will be getting videos when I get to them.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

muike posted:

That seems like a fairly good price, honestly.

Uh, no. No it doesn't. A brand new Happauge costs less then that.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

The Mass Effect trilogy LP I'm planning is still coming along. I'm mostly concentrating on getting footage. I've gotten most of it, I just need to play through Mass Effect 3 and if I can finish it, then I can most likely be confident enough that even if I haven't finished my update scripts for the games, with the raw footage sitting there I'll finish it eventually. Right now I'm just trying to find something out.

Which of these sizes do you all prefer for when I do the inevitable transcription of about a billion words?

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

All 4 One test post Commentary over cutscenes No commentary over cutscenes

The LP is a LONG long way from getting started, but I figured I should get quality control while the gettin's good. I already know I need to fix my mic issues and that will be done before the second episode is recorded, and I should probably trim out everything before "Sony Computer Entertainment Presents", but aside from that what else would you all say?

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

I take it aside from the issues I stated, All 4 One was okay?

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

baldurk posted:

Plus if you really want to you can mess around with them and make stupid shit like this.

Holy poo poo, how long did it take you to make that monstrosity?

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

kalonZombie posted:

All 4 One test post Commentary over cutscenes No commentary over cutscenes

The LP is a LONG long way from getting started, but I figured I should get quality control while the gettin's good. I already know I need to fix my mic issues and that will be done before the second episode is recorded, and I should probably trim out everything before "Sony Computer Entertainment Presents", but aside from that what else would you all say?

There was no commentary for this earlier. Anything I should pay attention to aside from the stuff I already said?

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

JcDent posted:

Here's a testpost of my Warlock: Master of the Arcade LP! I was advised to do it here first before letting it out into the real world. Is it any good?

A few quick suggestions:

1. You have screenshots of all of the races, and you list what they do after the screenshots... why not during? List what each race can do under their screenshot.
2. I can understand why you want to make a play-by-play commentary for the first turn, but I know how these games go, so I would suggest skimming over some stuff in later updates. Not this one, but later.
3. Even then your commentary was very sparse, I felt. I was very confused as to what was going on and why it was important. Try going a BIT into more detail about mechanics and such. In a screenshot LP, your words are just as important as your pictures.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

I just started watching it and I can hear white noise in the background. Is that part of the game? If it isn't, go into audacity and noise removal that. Other than that it looks and sounds fine, from what I can tell, but I'll keep watching and edit in anything else I can find.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Brainamp, is there any way to turn off notifications on the PC version of what are essentially xbox live games? It's not too bad in this episode so I'm not saying to rerecord the first half hour, but it would be nice.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Spiffo posted:

Or being the blind co-commentator.

This is a fun one. I had no idea what I was getting into with Rogue Galaxy and the sheer idiocy it gets into was WONDERFUL.

Lazyfire posted:

No no no, you are supposed to ignore the advice, get into a verbal slapfight with someone and then disappear forever.

How are we supposed to deal with someone listening?

I know! It's like... we need a new standard protocol for this, now.

ReturnOfFable posted:

Why the gently caress is Kotaku treating that as a piece of news.

Because Kotaku is a piece of poo poo site that will report anything game related ever?

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Just A Friend posted:

I usually provide a download link for my videos since they have multiple audio tracks. However, maybe I should switch to uploading 2 versions instead? I've seen other people do it but I don't know what viewers prefer. Maybe I'll have to in service of good video quality.

Looking at my numbers, people prefer uncut to cut about 10:1, but I still like having the option. With Chip's Revengence LP, for example, I tend to watch the cut version first, then I go back and watch the cutscenes only in the uncut version. This way I still know what's going on, but I get to hear them talk over the cutscenes.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

I'm only about 5 or so minutes in, but a few things:

When you talk, your microphone occasionally gives a little pop. Try putting it further away from your face.
There's some background noise I can hear outside the cutscenes. Very faint, but I can hear it. You should put your commentary through some noise removal in Audacity.
Your commentary, up to the point I've watched, hasn't been very interesting. Maybe it gets better a bit more in, but there's a lot of dead air (some is good, too much is bad), and when you are talking, you're talking about what's going on the screen or entirely unrelated games. You might benefit a bit from a co-commentator, if you can find one. Scratch that, had I watched another 20 seconds I would have realized you're fine. It's just a slow start is all. That slow start could still benefit from a second person who has never seen the game before, though.

The video quality and such, however, looks fine to me, but I tend not to obsess over video quality too much.

kalonZombie fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jul 8, 2013

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Psion posted:

I'd say remove that line "It's not a bad game" because lying that early in an LP is poor form :v:

You stole the words right out of my mouth.

Also, it's important to note that the last guy who LP'd this game ended up being banned from the forum due to being an unfunny, racist, homophobic fucktard who made the same four jokes over and over again. Don't repeat his mistakes.

Also, those pictures are REALLY small now. Like, way too small. Try going with a 800 width size picture, I've found that to work pretty well in an LP I rejected because I got bored with it.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Niggurath posted:

Well considering that his update was nothing at all like ShadowIsaac's garbage, then it seems an odd thing to even mention.

ShadowIsaac showed potential in his first few updates too, then by the time Act 1 was finishing he started to get grating. I will agree that this is way better though.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

gatz posted:

a side note: Drew Karpyshyn only wrote certain parts and characters in the game. It was a whole team of writers who collaborated for the game.

Eh, given Karpshyn's books, I'd say his point still stands.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

MellowHype posted:

Can anyone tell me if a Platforming RPG type game, like Castlevania, have to be a screenshot LP, or could it be a video LP, or both?

Castlevania is far better suited to a video LP. Even the "Metroidvania" type games are better in VLP format, but they need more editing than their pre-SOTN counterparts.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

My Boyfriend Is A Severed Head And Other Strange Tales! [Lollipop Chainsaw]

BLANKET NSFW WARNING. PRETTY MUCH ANY GIVEN MOMENT IN THIS GAME MIGHT GET YOU IN TROUBLE AT WORK, OKAY?

Lollipop Chainsaw is a Suda 51 game where you play as a barely legal teenage girl named Juliet who runs around in a cheerleader outfit and--

Please stop looking at me like that.

Anyway, you run around and you kill zombies with a chainsaw. All in all I'd say this is probably one of Suda 51's more normal and straightforward works. Even so, the game is amazingly fun and has some of the best boss fights in Suda's career, and considering No More Heroes was basically "cool boss fights, the game", that's saying something. Even the worst boss fight of the game still manages to be incredibly fun and memorable, and I love 'em.

I'll be doing two runs of the game. The first is a more casual look at the game on Normal difficulty, taking my time and showing off the story in all its' glory, and likely being really awful at it because I'm too used to playing it with all the moves and character upgrades and stuff. My scores will likely be awful and to reflect the fact that I'm actually pretty good at this game, the second run will be a score run. Every family member of Juliet's (except her mom) has a score in the level, and your dad has the highest ones. I'll be doing Dad Attack runs for each level on Hard difficulty, and during the Dad Attack runs I'll be taking the chance to show some more of the ridiculous and... "questionable" skins.

The game also has some really amazing music, though not all of it is on the soundtrack, so I'll be linking any songs I can manage to find. Especially the boss tracks, which are ALL amazing. Seriously, there's not a single bad boss or a single bad boss song.

Yes, there is a Very Hard difficulty. No, I won't show it off, Very Hard is awful and the antithesis of fun.

As usual, Ape will be with me the entire way. However, since this would make us feel very uncomfortable after a while, after the first video, I'll be bringing in guest commentators. A lot of them have barely seen anything from this game, so it'll be fun seeing how they react to how crazy this game is.

:ducksiren::ducksiren::ducksiren::ducksiren:SPOILER ALERT: RED:ducksiren::ducksiren::ducksiren::ducksiren:
Please please PLEASE no discussion about the plot, bosses, stages, etc. etc., not even in tags. This game is crazy and ridiculous and half the fun is going into it blind. I want my guests to be as surprised as I was the first time I played through the game.

These will take you to the youtube videos where you can watch them in high definition from your browser.
You can download the source video from blip.tv in high definition and swap between the cut and uncut videos at any time.

=============================

Mostly here to see if it gets the thread seal of approval. I'm pretty sure I'm mostly ready for it to go live though, aside from getting a bit of a backlog ready. I'm still debating on which tag to use though (it's a toss up between slayer, sex, and blade master right now).

kalonZombie fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Aug 18, 2013

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

ultrafilter posted:

That's breaking the hell out of my tables.

Senior Scarybagels posted:

That image for your first post needs to be shrunk down man.

my dad posted:

And those "===================" are contributing to table breaking, too.

Sorry, it looked fine on my monitor, I tend to forget it's loving huge. I shrank it down to 66% of the original size. How's it look now?

EDIT: Alright. Awesome. This is why you sandcastle. I would've gone live with that setup and that wouldn'tve been good.

EDIT2: Added a line in the version of the OP I have saved onto my computer what the COC/NCOC mean.

kalonZombie fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Aug 18, 2013

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

biosterous posted:

You might want to make clear in the OP which link has talking over cutscenes and which doesn't. "NCOC" and "COC" aren't obvious enough to know at a glance.

Psion posted:

Yeah, I'd define COC/NCOC clearly one time in the OP and let it ride the rest of the updates.

I've added it to the copy of the OP I have saved on my computer.

EDIT: V Been fixed, thanks.

kalonZombie fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Aug 19, 2013

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Sundowner posted:

Unless I'm just missing something having just woke up, I think they meant define what COC and NCOC actually mean.

Yeah, the fixed version says that. I guess I wasn't too clear on it though.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Law posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XETVqg8wTbw

So we brought in someone else to help with the conversation. The audio issues weren't entirely fixed, I put my mic in a different position which I think helped but Charlotte's audio decided to be awful for some reason. We'll definitely be sorting that out in the future. Any last thoughts before we post the thread?

I think you're good to go, but I'm not really the best guy to ask about that kind of stuff.

Concerning Lollipop Chainsaw: I plan on posting concept art and stuff pretty much every update, and I was wondering something.

Concept Art Mockup 1 Concept Art Mockup 2

The second is the original, unaltered png. The first is the size reduced to 800 X 450 pixels saved as a jpeg at setting 8. When I was posting the banner for the OP mockup, people were complaining that the image was too big. However for the concept art I much prefer the larger sized pictures with absolutely no loss. The question I'm posing is that as long as I linked them like I did above, would anybody object to huge png images?

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

FractalSandwich posted:

I used to know both the games I'm seriously looking at pretty well, but I haven't played them in a few years, so I've probably forgotten a lot of the details. I'd have to get back into them before started the LP, but that seems like it's good form anyway.

Pretty much. I hadn't played Ratchet and Clank in about five years before I considered LPing it, so I went through and played it again and I'm glad I did.

Also, if the game you are planning has multiple difficulties, I'd actually suggest you play the game at one or two difficulties higher than the one you're planning to do for the LP. I tend to LP games on the normal difficulty settings because that's what most people play, but for my practice run of Crack In Time I played on Hard, just to improve myself a bit.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Sundowner posted:

I asked for title suggestions for a reason!

Songbird is watching. Let's Play Bioshock Infinite.

God Only Knows You'd Spin Me Right Round. Bioshock Infinite.

I told you he'd pick heads in Bioshock Infinite.

My pants set people on fire when I punch them in Bioshock Infinite.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Just getting one last quick check from the Sandcastle before I go live with Lollipop Chainsaw. I was going to wait until next week but aaaaah fuckit. Linked so that my post isn't a million miles long.

OP

Second Post

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Well, Lollipop Chainsaw is live. Thanks everyone who helped me get everything together.

kalonZombie fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Aug 26, 2013

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Oh thank god, I thought I was the only one getting a weird aspect ratio on my videos.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

wdarkk posted:

Is anyone else unable to upload to LPIX right now? I'm getting a ton of "Upload failed, error: 500 Can't connect to lpix.org:80 (Operation timed out)" messages.

Just your end. I just ran a test and I uploaded fine.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Kabanaw posted:

I'm planning a Rayman Origins LP:

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=15333

It's my first go at an LP, so I know the commentary is kind of lame and awkward at points and there might be some technical problems. I figure the best way to improve is to just go ahead and do it. Is there anything horrendous here, or is it quality enough to post?

Big things:
The first thing I'd work on is the ducking. You guys are really quiet compared to the game. Adjust the settings around a bit. I tend to do a -13db at an outer and inner fade of 1 second, the rest of the settings are the defaults.
How come you don't show off the title screen? Leaving it up for a minute or two gives a nice introduction to explain what you'll be doing with the LP, your rough thoughts about the game, and a good way to introduce yourself.
You say it's a 100% run, but you don't go back and get the trophy for a time attack? If I were doing the LP (and believe me I was planning it at some point, but dropped it because I was awful at the game), I'd include time attack runs in the same video of the level that you just played. That's an editing preference on my part though.
You guys sound really awkward doing this. I know it's understandable, it's your first time, every LPer I've known, myself included, had an issue of sounding really awkward in their first few videos. Try to be more natural. Joke around a bit before starting your commentary. Maybe drink a little if you are into that?

Small things:
The "gibberish english" is actually pig latin. Weird, I know.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, RUN MAN. RUN!
You didn't ever explain what the R medals do. I need to know they give me 25 lums man! In some levels they are make-or-break for getting the 350 lum medals.

The video quality is good though, you just need to work on your commentary and ducking a bit.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Kabanaw posted:

Actually, I'm keeping all the medal runs per world in the same video. I thought that doing the level again right after I finished it would be kind of boring, so I moved them all to the end of the area.

Okay, that also works and was the other option I considered doing. I'm looking forward to the LP.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

PEWDIEPIE posted:

fuckin lowtax

And then I preserved it forever.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

Now I've gotten my feet wet with Papers, Please I'm setting my sights for when it's done. I won't put the prep work into it until I've finished this LP but I didn't think there would be any harm in asking now rather than later.

I'm planning on doing a VLP on an adventure games series, I've looked on the LP archives and have seen some LP's of some series done separately and some in separate posts. Would it be better covering the series in one thread or making a new one for each game?

That all comes down to personal preference. I did the Portal Games in the same thread because Portal 1 was short, sweet, and to the point, and most of it's design elements got incorporated into 2, meaning less explanation for when I got there. However I tend to do each Ratchet and Clank game in their own thread (except for Quest for Booty which was rolled into the Crack In Time thread), even though it's no secret that I want to do the other 2 games in the PS2 series. I simply feel that they are long and deep enough to constitute their own threads.

It's also a question of burnout. After doing two (and a half) Ratchet and Clank games in a row, I simply needed a break from cute, fuzzy things blowing everything up. Not having a Megathread helped a lot with that, since I didn't feel obligated to keep going with the series one right after another.

Felinoid posted:

And what is it with people trying to be coy about what they're going to do? Are they afraid that the moment they mention a game's name, four other people will jump on it trying to LP it before them?

Some people like the surprise factor. Me? I constantly blab what I'm planning on doing on my twitter feed, even if I don't say much here.

kalonZombie fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Oct 1, 2013

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

The update seemed a little on the... short side. Though you're on the right track with the commentary.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

suicideprinny posted:

I actually wanted to get some opinions on LP's I'm doing on YouTube right now, but I have a feeling that falls under the "other sites" thing in the rules. What is the accepted way to do this, if at all? Should I just wait until I start my next entire LP series and then try that on the Sandcastle?

Thanks, guys!

Honestly as long as you don't try to start a thread to say "Check out my kickin' rad youtube dump!" you should be fine, as long as you're just looking for criticism.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

I just got hit by the great Blip purge. Time to transfer my first couple of LPs over to Vif's site as the download alternative..

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Coolguye posted:

Good riddance, really, what a lovely service.

Seriously. They charge something like $80 a year in order for you to upload in HD and to set your videos to private. Things you can do for free on pretty much ANY OTHER SERVICE out there.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

I've been using the Blue Snowball since about May or June. I really like it, it's nice and sensitive and gives a good, clear sound. However it IS a stand mic, so it's a lot more sensitive than a headset would be. Easy enough fixes in audacity, but you just have to be wary about squeaky chairs or bumped desks.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Zeratanis posted:

The analogue to digital converter/preamp isn't what I would call "great". Really most USB stand mics(mine included) are pretty guilty of this.

Again, it's an easy enough fix in audacity anyway. Noise removal and compression are your best friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Lazyfire posted:

I was planning on going live with this Wednesday. Before that I was wondering if anyone had any glaring issues with what was posted. Additionally, I encoded at 8k b/s for the first video and 7k b/s for the second. I'm wondering if anyone saw a quality drop because I didn't.

Nah, they're both fine. Besides, Youtube butchers videos down to 2k b/s anyway.

Also I'll sure as hell follow this, especially if you finish off the Zsasz storyline, I never could beat it before the "stop making calls" trigger happens.

• Locked thread