Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

I have a feeling that there would be no pleasure to be found in an lp of that mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

You don't have to sound quite so bored. You might not like some points of JC2, but it sounds like you don't want to be doing this at all.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

slowbeef posted:

...Anybody wanna take a guess as to why we're the #1 forum right now? We've got more people browsing than Games or GBS. (But more a higher guests/members ratio than anyone, so... some thread get linked somewhere?)

LP's are the new hit thing?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Not too surprising if it is because of Dangan Ronpa. There was that really annoying phase where everybody and their brother were signing up so as to keep reading and making sure those that watched the thread knew it.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

CirclMastr posted:

Test video redux (featuring Lt Dan's Legs): Youtube

The game audio is quiet compared to your's, but you sounded better overall.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

As an optional video in a SSLP? It's fine I guess, but not really amazing. Are you meaning to capture the videos of the battles?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Niggurath posted:

They look like LP'ers to you? Let's Play Silent Hill 3

The "special static" noises were really loud to me. Might wanna consider lowering the audio of the game, if only for those noises. Other than that it looked fine.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Quarex posted:

LET'S PLAY: WASTELAND

Yeah having an actual test post would be extremely helpful. Can't really judge what hasn't been seen.

cKnoor posted:

Mutant - Heir of the Apocalypse - Test

Looks good as far as I can tell.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

If you felt that one post would have been to long, you could've split it into two and labeled them appropriately. Judgement would have been passed on both without the length being too much of a bother.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Looks good, let's hope you don't fall to the bof curse as well.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Mezurya posted:

Have BoF LPers had a habit of quitting midway through or something?

Yep, about 3 or 4 have started since I started watching the forums and all have petered out.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

The only reason to do SR3 as single player is if you are doing an informative run. I haven't watched the video yet, but it sounds like that is the farthest thing from what you want do. As Coolguye said there are several ways to do the multiple POV thing, whether having transitions or two separate videos is all up to you, but the L4D lp and the Fear 3 lp are good references.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Niggurath posted:

I don't think there's any rule against visual novels, unless they're some kind of hentai mess. I was actually fairly certain there had been LP's of other visual novels before (at least I know I saw that stupid pigeon one pop up in the sandcastle like 6 times for some reason).

There have, but they generally undergo major censorship. The easiest to think of is the Tsukihime lp.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Doing a Blind run is hard just because of that lack of information that the viewers get. I'd say playthrough once or twice and maybe read the book the game was based on to get a better feel for the world and to make comparisons to. While this removes the point of a blind run, it is easier to watch and the viewer can get more information about the world of Metro 2033.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

CommissarMega posted:

All right, here's a short test post for Magical Diary, covering the first day:
http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=2103

I'm going to bed now; hopefully things aren't too bad when I wake up.

As an intro it's fine. Having character portraits or some way of distinguishing who's talking is the first thing I can think of. Are you planning on letting people suggest a character and name?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

There's also the problem when people do blind runs and die or mess up a lot, but don't edit it out. It just makes the video tedious and frustrating instead of funny.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Lord Booga posted:

For the Storm! Lets Play Netstorm!

Aw, so you choose to go with Netstorm eh? The text on screen is very hard to read, but I suppose that can't really be enhanced can it? Other than that looks good.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

CommissarMega posted:

As for the character and name? You cannot pick your stats out at the game's beginning, if that's what you're thinking, and the name/looks are just a cosmetic choice. I think that simply going with what the game suggests is a faster way to start the LP, but if you'd rather I hold a vote as to our character, then why not? What do the rest of you think?

I thought that there might have been more variety in the creation of the character and that stats might have been allocatable at the start of the game, but I guess not. It's fine that there isn't a vote, but please choose a name other than Mary Sue. It would be funny to start with, but then it would get grating on the nerves very fast, but that is just my opinion on it.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

CommissarMega posted:

Mary Sue's actually your character's default name :ssh: If there's enough demand, I'll change the name, no worries.

I'll miss being Mary Sue though :(

Oh god really? As I said it was just my opinion, the ultimate decision is yours.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Tech Support! Also the rest of the tech support forum can help.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

CommissarMega posted:

I tried posting with character avatars and the like, but to be honest, I found writing the post that way quite boring. It was a lot more fun for me to type things out narratively- sorry, Kersch. I completely understand if this turns people off.

It's fine, just would have made slightly easier to read, and my name's not Kersch.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Kung-Fu Jesus posted:

I mean, I always expect a twist ending in M. Night movies, but not so much in movies from other directors. Also each of his movies was way worse than the previous one.

From your description, though, it sounds like all my fears about Minecraft LPs realized. Gotta go home to watch it though.

As chill as the videos he has posted are, they are also incredibly dull. Just like every other Minecraft lp out there.

Brainamp fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jun 8, 2012

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Lance Streetman posted:

I have no idea who the gently caress dave_o is outside of "that dude doing a minecraft LP," but I'm unironically enjoying his LP. Then again, I've never really understood why minecraft was considered "un-lpable."

Minecraft is a game that is dull as bricks to watch. Playing it is fun and all, and a lot of fun things are happening in your head whilst you play, but when you are on the viewing end it will just be the same grind over and over. "Watch as I break a brick, then another, then another, then place this brick here, and another one there and wait that isn't right lemme start over." You may enjoy it, but quite often the videos will start blurring together cause of the lack of difference in them. Which, unless I am mistaken about the concept of entertainment, is boring.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

MeccaPrime posted:

LP seems to have gotten too serious, lately; what ever happened to showing off a game and having fun?

Have you even watched half the lps that are up right now? Cause there are plenty of people showing of games and having quite a merry time at it.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Color Printer posted:

Here's my updated OP for Super Scribblenauts, which talks about the audience interaction and the challenges. And here's my introduction post, where I explain the basic mechanics and show off the first five levels of the game. Should I attempt to make up some audience suggestions and come up with another example update or is this good enough to start with for now? Oh, and is there anything else I need to fix? (Don't be afraid to be harsh. If I'm not criticized, I'll never learn! :))

Looking better. Remember the power of GIFs if you feel that they would help show something. It also looks ripe for audience participation which is always a plus.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Major_JF posted:

General question for the castle. Have you bought a game because someone LPed it?
The flipside of this is, have you not bought a game because someone LPed it?

I'm pretty sure that is what the point of the lp is. To convince you whether or not this game is worthy of occupying your library of not. As for me the Catherine lp convinced me.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

So heres a question for the sandcastle. If I was to make a Fallout New Vegas LP, what format should I use? Screenshot or video?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Yeah, I was worried about the trekking part of game mainly. Its. Got enough happening that screenshots would have felt wrong, but the periods without anything happening are pretty boring.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Niggurath posted:

Bulettes this early in the game? WTF DM, this'll be a TPK.

But it doesn't to me and it might be a good idea to assume that your audience will have no idea about what I assume to be are Dungeons and Dragon terms(?). Or the bizarre Avatar reference a couple lines down? And finally it seems like you end your update right in the middle of a battle; did you just run out of steam or was there a point in that.

It is a DnD reference

Bulette = Land shark thing
DM = Dungeon Master
TPK = Total party kill

But its still annoying since you have to know the source to understand

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Brad! posted:

I THINK THIS IS WHERE THIS GOES GOSH I HOPE IT IS

This is not where this goes, you want the tech fort I assume. The sandcastle is for lp qa and critiquing.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Brad! posted:

I just wanted to dabble in Let's plays but I guess there is a higher quality standard than I was aware

If you'd bothered to lurk at all and watch the sandcastle's judgement on other let's plays, you might have had a clue.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Brad! posted:

Not really, my experience with Lets Plays was people who capture in what ever way thet can and then make funny narrations. Sometimes the crudeness of recording adds to the entertainment. The only others id seen are of kids who put a camera on their TV

But yes, I should have looked harder at what the standards for videos on this forum were first

That's not a good thing at all. Seriously, did you lurk at all before wasting your money? Congratulations of trolling the sandcastle now :frogout:

Brainamp fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jun 16, 2012

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

TraumaticRatio posted:

I haven't seen any test posts up since Brad stirred up all this controversy. Maybe you should skim through previous pages to see if anyone posted one up. I'm down to watch it if they can make it entertaining enough to keep me in my seat.

Nah, nobody has submitted anything new yet.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Brad! posted:

I'm seriously baffled

:frogout: and we'll stop being mad at you.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

eating only apples posted:

I'm gonna run an audience-participation Sims 3 LP. They're always fun.

Here's a test OP. It'll be two posts, and the screenshots at the bottom are just examples since I can't show a proper update. I just noticed you can't really read the text on the last image, I'll fix that. Are my screenshots okay otherwise? Any tips, comments, criticism?

Quality of the pics is good, but Sims lps take quite a bit of time so be ready for it.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

First thing off having an actual update is necessary for the critiquing. Second thing those screenshots are tiny. Can you make them at all bigger?

SciFiDownBeat posted:

I understand that a test OP as well as a test update is advised for the SSLP. I included the prologue section of the game after the introduction all in the test post. Basically my LP will consist of transcribing dialogue with intermittent images of dialogue and gameplay, nothing out of the ordinary. However, I will be making asides every now and then about relevant facts, gameplay, and bios of characters, as well as a handful of sarcastic comments and jokes along the way.

This is expected, you do not have to tell us that you will be doing this, and don't be boring for the love of god. Making jokes might sound nice, but they aren't required to make a good lp.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

SciFiDownBeat posted:

I like them at this size, but I think I can make them bigger.

It's nice that you like them at that size, but you aren't making an lp for yourself.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

simosimo posted:

Planning to make an LP of an MDickie game. Now that I have a decent mic and fast speed internet, episodes won't take an hour to upload like before ( I did a brief LP but abandoned it due to those reasons.

Now i'm ready to get my stuff together. I have composed an intro video, just to test volumes and for those interested in the game mechanics before I start the REAL episode 1. It's just a little something before I start the real deal and get an OP together. There's a bit of rambling but that's just to explain the details and etc. Let me know if it sounds ok and etc. The Episode 1 video will be more concise.

Your commentary is okay, not stellar but okay. Don't read anything on the screen, if there are subs the goons can read it for themselves.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Danzel Glovington posted:

I think he meant to say Look Whose Back is in the Saddle.

Unless that is a joke that a guy named Whose Back is in a saddle, in which case there would need to be commas surrounding whose back, it should be who's as in "who is". But this is not the grammar forum so it is dropped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

TraumaticRatio posted:

No Jill Sandwiches? Let's Play Resident Evil 2

Several things.

1. Are you going to be cutting out the backtracking when it's not absolutely necessary?
2. The movement method is called tank controls.
3. Your aspect ratio seems off to me. Might just be the game.
4. Your audio sounds like it has a weird reverberation.
5. You know that the Dark Id did an lp of this right?

Something unrelated to the lp is that there seem to be a lot of goons joining up recently just that rush to the sandcastle. Just an odd thing I've noted.

• Locked thread