Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Or he could try writing a script and not trashing it; or just do both and gauge the response.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

njsykora posted:

That might be Youtube's doing, but I've heard bumping to 720 makes Youtube do less weird things to your videos so I'll do that. The resolution it's at now is native when capturing from my PS2 and after cropping off the big black border before Youtube does things to it.

Someone said earlier that YouTube downsizes; sounds like you're capturing at 480p with the borders, then ending up with slightly less than that without borders, which YouTube bumps down to 360p.

I personally haven't figured if it actually looks better to have older games in 720; I don't know how it looks to try and upscale something that way.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

sentrygun posted:

(I'm not aware of the release schedule so this may or may not be an issue).

Final episode of season 1 came out in the past week, I think.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Volume posted:

Your commentary live is purely reactionary. There's no information given, you aren't explaining anything just telling us what is going on. Post commentary you can take time to get your ideas together and actually tell us something.

Is there an example of the difference between the two I can watch/listen to? I haven't done commentary in post before, and when I do it live, I do try to be informative, so I'm probably just not fully understanding what the real difference between the two are. I can understand pacing, not having 50% of the words spoken be "uh", writing a script etc. but in terms of the actual content of the commentary, I'm unsure.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Niggurath posted:

Well in the case of his video he's merely narrating things going on screen, restating lines, or just making general observations of obvious things on screen. A guy is sitting handcuffed in the back of a cop car and wearing prison garb, and he makes the observation of 'It seems this guy is under arrest or going to prison'. Or later on in another video there's a shotgun shell on the ground, he'll say "Oh, it's a shotgun shell" and then the in-game character will repeat it while on screen is text saying 'Shotgun shell'. There are easier ways of stating things without verbatim repeating things or stating super obvious things. For me it makes more sense to say 'Well now that we can explore, let's take a look around the general area' and then let the game say the stuff it wants to say. Really if you want to see key examples of reactionary commentary look up a horror LP by PewDiePie and observe that he will only react most of the time to immediate things on screen. "gently caress I'm scared", "gently caress there's a scary light", "Ouch I'm getting attacked"....it's repetitive to the viewer cause we can obviously see that.

Ah, I see. I have watched about two minutes of a PewDiePie video; an Amnesia mod, or something. All he did was scream at how there was a barrel in front of him. I shouldn't be amazed that he has as much of a following as he does, yet I still slightly am.

It sounds like a lot of the time, the problem with live commentary can be a desire to be speaking, filling dead air. Would you have advice for if I want to do an LP of a platformer? Or, to be more general, a game that is more about mechanics than the narrative? I'm interested in doing an LP of Mischief Makers; it has been done a couple of years ago, yes, so I thought I'd make mine different by getting all S-rank times in the game, for what that's worth.

In any case, whether I do that LP or find a different game I want to show, should I follow a general rule that if I can't say something about the game that the game isn't saying about itself, I should just let the game audio go ahead? 'Watching a few test posts and actual LPs, it seems like it's a good practice to go by.

frozentreasure fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Nov 25, 2012

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Niggurath posted:

I can only speak from what tickles my fancy and how I feel comfortable talking; there are so many things to keep in mind when doing commentary (the game's atmosphere, length of cutscenes, information you want to get across, the feeling of the commentary you want to get across) that it's not really viable to give a definite answer. In the end it's all up to practice and finding what you are most comfortable with. If you feel most comfortable with a friend just talking and having a good time with a silly game then go with that. If you are a serious minded chap who wants to be as informative as possible then go with that. What will come across most in your commentary is how you carry yourself verbally. Are you mumbling, are you unsure of what you're saying, does it seem like you're just rambling off to keep dead air full? Well if that's the case then you can practice to make that dead air filling entertaining, you can practice to not repeat certain words, and with practice words will just form easier. Or generalized scripts and bullet points help. Or just writing a script. There are any number of ways to make entertaining and good commentary, but it's up to you personally to find which works best for you.

Okay, thanks for the advice. Might try making a test post for Mischief Makers sometime in the next month or two; if that doesn't seem like it'll work well, or if I just don't think I can do it, I've also been considering 007: Everything or Nothing. I'll see how I go.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
I was going to ask a question relating to video resolutions, but then I double checked and I don't think it's a problem. Or might not be. I'll find out when I upload it, I suppose.

Anyway, I do have another question, this one about frame rates. Not sure if it's supposed to be in the tech support thread or not, but I think it's more relative to what the end user sees, as opposed to any question about the technology itself.

When I capture from my N64 (and possibly other consoles, but I haven't checked), I can capture at 25 or 50fps (no other options given to me). Is it better to go with the higher frame rate? I imagine I'd see it if it were pointed out to me, but I just can't notice the difference between the two myself.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
I have an EasyCap DC60 that I capture with EasyCap Viewer on OSX. It only gives me the option to halve the frame rate; I checked some Wii videos I'd recorded a few weeks ago, and they went at 59.94/29.97fps, so it's not set to any particular frame rate, rather it seems to be picking up what's coming in automatically. I think I remember PS2 footage coming in at 25/50 as well. Only other console I have is a 360, and I haven't checked what it captures at.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Are you in a PAL region? Europe, Australia?

I am; Australia.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

cat doter posted:

Framerate doesn't really have anything to do with resolution, they're kinda distinct from one another. 60fps high res footage does look great though.

But yeah, just record at 25fps. It might look a bit shuddery with some games that run at 30, but youtube will just knock the framerate down to 30 and completely throw the audio sync out of whack.

If I record at 25fps, YouTube will set it to 30 and throw the audio sync out? Or would that happen with 50fps?

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

So anyone can post in the thread with their single video and it'd be added as a link to the OP, or people would just scroll through the pages for each video?

In any case, this sounds like an awesome idea. I've got some 400 games I haven't played, mostly for unreasonable reasons, so I'm sure I could find one or two.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Lizard Wizard posted:

Okay, now I genuinely want to see you do try HL2. I'm not saying it to be cruel or anything, I just think it'd be interesting to see since you're (again, no offense meant here) pretty much the only person in the world yet to finish it, so it could be nice to see it through fresh eyes.

I haven't even played it; I went through about 30 minutes of Half Life Source a couple of months ago before dying and discovering the wonderful world of PC games without autosave.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

General Ironicus posted:

This just makes me want to make more and better stuff, but I don't know where to put it. I really wish we had the cash to just get our own dedicated servers and never have to worry about a hosting site getting jumpy about animes.

Could always just slowly save up money on the side?

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

DStecks posted:

…or decrease spending to compensate…

Which is to say you'd need to save excess money instead of spending it.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
No, that'd be Gamespot.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
I had always heard that the best position to have a headset mic is just above the nose; the wind from breathing won't get in and the sound should still travel perfectly fine.

Of course, I've never had a headset mic of my own (unless you count the 360 headset, which I do not), so I can't say for sure if that is the best or not.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Okay, made a test video for Everything or Nothing.

Any advice and so on; in particular, I'm not entirely certain of if the audio is too quiet, or if the mix is good or not.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Insert James Bond Pun Here: Let's Play Everything or Nothing!

What's with this game?

The year was 2004. Call of Duty had yet to realise that more wars happened since the early 20th century; Epic Games were still picking out the right shades of brown and grey for Gears of War; and James Bond fans were still licking the wounds of Die Another Day from little over a year previous. EA, in an odd stroke of genius, decided to forgo the idea of making the next interactive Bond adventure another first-person shooter, instead opting to develop Everything or Nothing as a third-person action game, featuring more varied hand-to-hand combat, driving sequences powered by the Need for Speed engine, various open levels that would reward alternate methods of dispatching (or avoiding) enemies, and cover-based shooting that was ahead of its time. It's the best James Bond game that has been made to date, and as Pierce Brosnan's final performance as James Bond, serves as a much better sendoff than Die Another Day.

What's with this LP?

I'll be playing each mission in the game on the standard difficulty, "Agent". In each level, I'll endeavour to play relatively stealthily; there's plenty of shooting throughout the course of the game, and I want to show the alternate ways of progressing, should they come up. I'll also aim to earn as many of the "Bond Moments" as I can, however I don't expect to get all of them, as my memory tells me some of them are ridiculously annoying.

What about platinum ranks for the levels?

Hah. Good one.

The Videos

Update 1: Stronger Than A Fighter Jet - YouTube

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
I was wondering about the audio levels; thanks for letting me know (When you say "second cinematic", do you mean the one that ends with M telling Bond to pick up the briefcase?). And talking while I played is what I actually did; I've been told before that I sometimes speak a little fast. Was it anything specific, or just in general? Because the only point that I felt a little rushed was in the post-level summary screen.

I'll edit the note about Call of Duty, though my point about Gears of War was that it was still in development and had yet to make third-person shooters "a thing".

And I'm definitely being hyperbolic about it being the best Bond game; I'm assuming people will be able to respect personal opinion and that I'm not trying to force mine on them.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

slowbeef posted:

Silly thing, but put an image in your OP, even if just your test post here. It's a good callout to let people reading the Sandcastle know you've got a test post you'd like feedback on.

Is it okay to just grab something off of Google Images, or will I need to make sure it's hosted somewhere?

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
(Changed the note about Call of Duty, added a title image and upped the commentary audio by 2 decibels. If the commentary still seems too fast, I'll re-record it.)

Begging for an E/N pun: Let's Play 007: Everything or Nothing!

What's with this game?

The year was 2004. Call of Duty had yet to reach critical mass; Epic Games were still picking out the right shades of brown and grey for Gears of War; and James Bond fans were still licking the wounds of Die Another Day from little over a year previous. EA, in an odd stroke of genius, decided to forgo the idea of making the next interactive Bond adventure another first-person shooter, instead opting to develop Everything or Nothing as a third-person action game, featuring more varied hand-to-hand combat, driving sequences powered by the Need for Speed engine, various open levels that would reward alternate methods of dispatching (or avoiding) enemies, and cover-based shooting that was ahead of its time. It's the best James Bond game that has been made to date, and as Pierce Brosnan's final performance as James Bond, serves as a much better sendoff than Die Another Day.

What's with this LP?

I'll be playing each mission in the game on the standard difficulty, "Agent", with the exception of the first level, which the game automatically sets to the easiest difficulty, "Operative", to make it basically impossible to lose. In each level, I'll endeavour to play relatively stealthily; there's plenty of shooting throughout the course of the game, and I want to show the alternate ways of progressing, should they come up. I'll also aim to earn as many of the "Bond Moments" as I can, however I don't expect to get all of them, as my memory tells me some of them are ridiculously annoying.

What about platinum ranks for the levels?

Hah. Good one.

The Videos

Update 1: Stronger Than A Fighter Jet - YouTube

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
I was very uniform with putting the game audio down; I might play with that on a per-line basis for the next video. And I forgot to turn the gain up, so I recorded a little quieter than I should have to begin with.

But apart from that, I should be good to go?

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Okay, thread's live. Added some stuff regarding spoilers and the multiplayer mode to the OP.

Thanks for the help, peoples!

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Fionordequester posted:

Well, because I didn't want to shell out money for FRAPs.

Plenty of other solutions that will give you a good starting file exist; as I understand it, Hypercam and Camtasia have both come a long way and are viable options.

quote:

Because there's usually very long pauses or stuttering otherwise (worse than whatever I leave in the video).

I think the question was more in the context of "why do it the way you're doing it now, which doesn't sound good, instead of post commentary, which has all the benefits listed?"

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Migeman posted:

Well, I don't know what I can add to it then. How old is that LP though? I can't actually view it.

It's about a year old; you can see the status and dates of all LPs, archived or no, on the LP Master List: http://lparchive.org/lpmaster

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
I used OBS a couple of weeks ago, which worked okay after setup, but it produces an already-compressed file (about one hour was 160MB, I think?).

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Haven't tried streaming; and since the recording was for a race, I didn't actually record audio, so I can't speak for that.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

djw175 posted:

Stuff about a Cave Story LP.

Shouldn't that be directed towards OSad? ph0ngLP did a test post for Darkness Within 2.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
It actually is possible to capture from a 3DS; I saw a link kicking around that sold the capture unit or the 3DS with capture unit (not cheap).

Obviously, that doesn't make a difference on your LP (especially since it can't capture 3D, so there'd be no point going to the trouble anyway), but it is possible to do it outside of Nintendo-sanctioned capture kits.

EDIT: Ah, here it is. If you ever have too much money to spare, I suppose.

frozentreasure fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jan 13, 2013

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
I'm more okay with it since (I assume) it also allows for regular DS capture.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

ritcheyz posted:

On the topic of writing out numbers, I've been taught that it's best to use the word (one, two, three...) until you reach one hundred (101, 102, 103...)

I always went by the rule that it should be written out in full for the first ten, then use the numerical digits, with a few exceptions in both directions, personally.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
I think I'd personally prefer reading the entries in screenshot form, but for ease of reading for most people, transcriptions might be better.

You could always take pictures of the entries, link them without embedding, then transcribe in the post and cover all bases.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
That looks a lot better. When most movement has stopped is probably going to be a good end point for the GIFs.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
I've been considering doing Pandora's Tower sometime after I finish my current LP, and I'm curious about how I should approach editing with regards to one of the game mechanics.

The game is a set of Zelda-style dungeons, for the most part, and normally this wouldn't create that much backtracking, however one of the core mechanics is an ever-present timer that signifies how much your girlfriend is along the way to transforming into a horrible monster. If it expires, game over, so every now and then, you need to leave the dungeon and return to the rest house to reset the timer.

There's a usable item that instantly teleports you out of the dungeon, however when returning to the dungeon, you need to walk through the dungeon to wherever you were up to; this can sometimes be quite a way along the path.

It's a little bit of a hassle to have to do and I can only assume it would be kinda boring to watch happen, especially as often as it does (if I recall correctly, every 30-45 minutes of game time), however it's also a big part of the gameplay, atmosphere and the relationship between you and your girlfriend. The tension of staying in the dungeon as the timer gets closer to running out and making the decision to continue with a section (or boss) or go all the way back I feel would be lost if the video just jumped from nearly-empty timer to full timer with the commentary saying "A quick detour to feed Elena and we're off again."

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

zythyl posted:

I didn't know someone's already done a narrative SSLP of P:T.

Less than thirty seconds on the archives.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

zythyl posted:

The only advice I remember receiving is no VOs, stray away from VLPs of text heavy games, and don't spend more than I normally would on a static screen going over stat distros for ~2mins.

And that is all valid advice. If you want more advice, make a new test post, either for Planescape or for whatever you want to try next, because you've been given advice based on your previous effort, so your current tests aren't representative of what you know anymore.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Cool Ghost posted:

Why do all the apostrophes in your test post come out as í? Is that just my computer?

I'm seeing them okay; might just be yours, though if it's only happening now, I'm stumped as to why. Change the encoding of the page to some variant of Unicode and see what it reads as.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

DarkPhoenix posted:

The nice thing about Youtube annotations is, you can turn them off if you're uninterested in what is being said.

No one cares for that kind of attitude when you're the one asking for help; and if it's information that you think not everyone will be interested in, put it in your OP/update posts, not in the video.

quote:

Mostly because I find it easier…

That's not a valid argument for not doing an SSLP. Besides which, you would likely be doing just as much work to make it a good VLP.

quote:

I'm not sure about the framerate. Probably because the computer we're recording on isn't the most powerful out there. My own computer, which is way stronger than that one, doesn't seem to want to run the recording program for some reason, or I'd have recorded using that (and probably got no stutter or framerate drops at all, seeing as it's an Athlon X2 with 8GB of RAM).

The tech support thread will most likely be able to figure out what the issue is that keeps your computer from running whatever recording program you're using. If they can't, and you're stuck with a computer that isn't powerful enough to keep up a smooth framerate, take that as another indication that it should be in screenshots, not video.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Nate H posted:

So I was trying to do a Luigi's Mansion Let's Play:

I cannot get over that single pixel white line at the bottom of the video.

You could stand to duck the game audio a bit when you speak, also.

Commentary felt a little too sparse, and not super interesting for the most part. Also, if you've played the game enough to remember specific things like how many pearls you can get from gallery ghosts, exactly where golden mice/money ghosts are, how could you not know enough to get 100%? Unless you mean that you're not going to get every single bit of money hidden in the mansion. I can understand that, but at least get all the ghosts and all 50 Boos.

And then there's the skipped intro. You seem to be going for an informative style, so it strikes me as odd that you'd skip any part of the game, especially the part where you could show and explain the mechanics of Luigi's Mansion. You dive headfirst into the game assuming that everyone knows how to play (then go on to explain other game mechanics throughout the video), but if that was the case, why would they be watching the LP?

As a side note, I only watched your first video, since that's the only one you should have posted to start with.

…And, looking at your ill-fated thread, I feel like your OP could use a bit of work, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Pierzak posted:

Can you switch to a lower resolution through an ini file, or is it set at 1280 minimum?

He already tried; you can see the results of that on the previous page.

• Locked thread