Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Hey there everybody. I've been working on setting this up the past weekend. Before I commit to posting an actual thread I feel it best to run it through the Sandcastle. I'm going to put a spoiler tag in this post just because it's not the actual thread and maybe some people don't know about the previous games.

Let's get the hell out of here, RESIDENT EVIL 6!

Welcome to the world of RESIDENT EVIL 6! Some call it "Bio of Duty" but let's be honest, it's deeper than that! It's a "dramatic-horror" story with wrestling, martial arts, bullet curving, and there's a horde of zombies and mutated freaks to practice on! Leon's back, Chris is back, what's not to like about this game full of unnecessary explosions and gratuitous body slamming?

:siren:Spoilers of past games ahead!:siren:

What is this game?

Resident Evil 6, or "Biohazard" to some, is the 9th much hyped main installment of the critically acclaimed series of horror games from Capcom. It’s a series that’s always had a special place on my shelf and it’s one of the few series in the industry that has survived its blood-dressed adventure from the late 90s.

Just as Resident Evil 5 had built off of 4, RE6 finally completes the transformation of the series to their free-form gameplay that’s as far from its roots as Warren Spector is from his. With abilities new to the series such as sliding, voluntary dodging, curving the bullet, and moving while shooting, you will control one of seven characters, each in their own story and fight to discover the truth of this new viral outbreak that grips the world once again and threatens to destroy it entirely. Throughout the game, these characters will encounter each other and work together, or in some cases, work against each other.

Going back to their roots in some ways at least, the game features much more violence and rather :stare: death scenes. Some may see that as Capcom having a wake-up call of sorts since RE5 where it was actually funny to get hit and knocked out. The game is much darker and the action grittier, but that does not mean it doesn’t have the same kind of humor at moments!

Technically speaking, it's a fairly lazy and rushed game that was pushed ahead of the original release date by a month, which may or may not have something to do with it. The graphics aren't very good except for the character models, and even then you can count some squares. To offset that, the game is drat long. Two of the main campaigns are easily longer than RE5's, one is 80% of RE5's, and the last is...really drat short. The game play is solid, the controls are just as perfect as RE5's, it's still challenging, and there are a lot of varied enemies to fight with satisfying ways to take all of them down! At times, however, it can get way too easy.

The story so far

Several years after the events of Resident Evil 5, Chris Redfield returned to duty for the BSAA. In the time since the death of iconic antagonist Albert Wesker and the collapse of then terrorist pharmaceutical organization Tricell, a new threat has reared its ugly maw. In the European country Edonia, in late December, a group of anti-government mercenaries takes a drug given to them by a mysterious woman and become victims of a new virus and turn into monsters called J’avo, who start wreaking havoc. The BSAA are immediately called to deal with the situation.

Not the only outbreak, China later becomes the largest outbreak zone, and zombies born from the new virus have risen from their graves in eastern America. The undead shamble again in the west and the world tears apart in the east as series favorites Leon S. Kennedy and Chris Redfield return to the fight to save the world once again, accompanied by new allies and even a surprising few additions. The die is cast and the stage, the world itself, is set to burn.

How will it work? Will there be audience participation?

Yes, there will be audience participation! This game, like both RE4 and RE5, features a way to enhance your character strengths with the use of a currency called “skill points.” I’ll be taking votes on how I should play the game. Do I go balls to the wall with attack increases? Do I remove my targeting sight? Do I become a turtle? Or do I become a tireless god of kung-fu and gunkata?

I'm going to endeavor to play this game in a way so as to present it in a serious light to give the game a chance to show off its “dramatic-horror” story, and I’ll be playing it in a chronological order somewhat similar to the 3DS game RE: Revelations. But, if you guys would like me to play more focused on one campaign over playing it in a way that requires us to jump between campaigns often, I can do that, but I can at least promise that if I play chronologically, it won’t be as uncomfortable as Revelations’ weird pacing.

I’ll be doing a 100% run on the PS3 version, I’ll be showing off all the small things when possible, and I’ll do my best to explain the nuances of the game. In later updates, you will see me playing as both characters for some parts, but for the first update I focused on just playing as one character and saved the other for the bonus video because I wanted to show off some technical aspects that you will get to vote on.

If anybody wants to play co-op with me, I wouldn’t mind, but for some chapters I’ll want to run solo. As well, in the spirit of all things RE related, I’m going to ask people to vote on challenges for me. Handgun only? Assault rifle only? Knife only? Melee only? No healing? Don’t pick up any ammo? The potential is there! Be aware that I can’t guarantee a full chapter of any of these stipulations due to certain moments but I’ll do as much as I can with it!

There will be bonus videos for The Mercenaries, but not for Agent Hunt as I mention in this update’s bonus video. It’s just not fun. Also, since we can get skill points to use in any of the game modes by playing Mercenaries, I’d like everyone to decide whether or not I should grind for any reason.

Update intervals?

The first few chapters of the three main campaigns are really long so I can’t give you a concrete date with them based on the sheer volume of things to do. I’d say around every Friday or Saturday for the earliest updates, but as it goes on it will be easier to do.

Spoiler Policy
-Do not talk about anything we have not seen yet. Includes enemies, weapons, chapters, etc.
-Do not post the trailers to this game, they spoil all the highlights in this game. Don’t watch them!
-Interestingly, do not talk about the patch notes! Even they will spoil the game a bit.
-It is OK to talk about the past games. If you’re interested in this thread, I will assume you know about the events of prior games leading up to this one.

:siren:Also, not a spoiler but still just as important!:siren:
Please do not talk about the potential suggestiveness of the game's logo, we don't need that here. If you know what it is, or don't, you can easily google that, but don't bring it into this thread.

Table of Contents
In progress...

Episode 1-2: Hell Yeah!|Youtube
<Update description here>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Zain posted:

So far OP looks good, I would say we don't really care about the options. It took you 3 minutes to get to the actual game. Otherwise so far it seems pretty good. Try to shorten the intro as much as possible to what is necessary for the thread. I personally could care less about the retical's look and color or which arm you have your gun on.

Thanks, and yeah it was pretty much a judgment call when it came to the menu, I really wanted to show off the FOV options because you just don't ever see options like that on Console games, as far as I know anyway.

Fighting-Fefnir posted:

Your commentary is very polished, and the video looks great, but I'm 7 minutes into the video and I haven't seen any gameplay yet. You really don't need to walk us through the options since that should just be part of your setup pre-recording. Telling us about the rewards all at the start of the video and series is pretty tedious as well, since you can just as easily show us those in the OP as they're unlocked.

47 minutes is a maaaasive video. You should probably cut it down some if possible, even if you're uploading multiple videos per mission. I think 20 to 25 minutes was kicked around as a good middle ground. Also, get some autoducking going, there's a lot of dialogue and loud noise going on and it can be a bit hard to hear you.

Thanks for checking it out, but about the video times the problem is the chapters are just plain long. I admit that I could have done the chapter 10 minutes faster but I was trying to make sure I showed off a lot and not just speed-run through before you get a chance to look at things. The worst videos I'm going to have to tackle are the first two chapters of Leon's campaign, they're the longest in the game, especially first time through, but I'll make liberal use of fast-motion for some of the more tedious areas like the "puzzles."

Cool Ghost posted:

I just jumped around the video, but I watched a bit of the actual gameplay section, and every time you use the route finder, the camera jumps and the screen flashes blue, which is really annoying to watch, and the camera seemed to move around more than I remember when I played this game, and that made the video hard to watch as well.

Agreed, and I apologize if that was painful. I never used the route finder on my first playthroughs but I wanted to show off that option for turning Icon Display off because it had a cool idea pre-game launch where you could just turn off objective indicators (which highlight enemies and bosses) and your UI. I had to keep using it see my UI to track my health. The problem is that it turns "everything" off, and I like to use those marks (target an enemy and press partner button) and you can't see those either. After this first update though you're not going to see that route finder again, unless I'm just showing off how it looks with the other characters' UIs.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Lazyfire posted:

I think his YouTube income is supposedly between $400,000 and $1 million using the idea that YouTube pays you a dollar or three for every 1000 views a video gets (that I was never able to confirm was an actual thing). Then you have to remember he is selling merchandise that, no matter how stupid it seems, people buy. Considering that he has probably made a couple thousand more from just that.

As Sundowner has attested to, YouTube fame is fleeting. Imagine he does this for a couple more years and then starts bleeding subs and views because who wants to watch a man fake scream for 20 minutes at a time for five years? He hasn't made "retire at 40" money, so he'll either have to complete his education or try to enter the workforce. Now imagine the person who comes across his resume and the fact that there will either be a huge gap in it or he will list his YouTube stuff as his experience. A couple clicks later and his resume is in the trash.

It is indeed fleeting. Several years ago I followed and watched a lot of people who rose high on their YouTube subscribers, and in the last year or so, one in particular just a few months back, they've been abandoned and have faded, they've tumbled from their high horses due to the changing climes and due to the fact they've all made huge mistakes in how they treat others. Anyone who rides and subsists on their vaunted e-careers will lose it and more, yet they won't ever stop to think there's a problem with it.

I once knew someone who had a friend who became a YouTube partner and immediately started raking in money. Afterwards, he spat in the faces of his friends and threw them away. I imagine he's still doing just that, but at this point he's probably bled a fair amount of subscribers.

This is how most "YouTube Celebrities" will be seen after their time is up.

"Hi, thank you for applying to work at our company. What did you do before this?"
"I made videos for the internet!"

They'll be laughed all the way out the building.

This all being said, it's still really, really depressing to think that people who incomprehensibly scream rape 'til falsetto for 20 minutes in every video are making more than hard working people who facilitate his way of life ever will.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

TheWanderingNewbie posted:

I just wanted to bring this up because a quick scan shows that it wasn't, Blip has added a new anti AdBlock thing on all their videos where it will play a 90 second long DON'T USE AD BLOCK if you try to view a video while you have AdBlock on, just thought it was worth mentioning in the whole which video host to use scope of things.

Wow I didn't think anybody was going to mention this! I've been having that while watching the D&D 4th Edition Let's Play since two days ago. Blip is just being greedy but I suffer through it for the content. I'm sure those ads are totally going to make the difference for their users in the same way that Ad.fly is going to pay some modder's bills. I am also starting to wonder if there is a hidden quality control on their player but maybe it's all just the source video, some high quality some 360p here and there.

Hopefully the plugin will be updated to counteract this, or Noscript. If anything, you can just open multiple tabs and have the set of videos you want to watch pre-load.

EDIT: I found the work-around. Just go to Adblock Plus' "Filter preferences" then "Filter subscriptions" then add "EasyList" and update it. Problem solved, no more 90 second countermeasure.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 07:57 on May 14, 2013

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

ReturnOfFable posted:

So I hate to interrupt the conversation but this is pretty neat so I figured I would mention it. Nintendo has started to claim copyright on any LP of a Nintendo game on Youtube. They are starting to enforce ads on them in order to generate some amount of profit for the company.

Source: IGN

Your link has a spacing issue, copyri ght, just letting people know that in case they wonder why it isn't loading.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Simply Simon posted:

By the way, while we're at it...does anyone know if Capcom really said "yeah we're okay with people LPing our games"?

Considering all the LPs of their games from even years ago I'm positive they're fine with it even if they hadn't said something concrete. My friend has playthroughs of Devil May Cry, Megaman Legends, and Resident Evil 5 on his channel from 4 to 6 years ago, but he never got partner status so this probably isn't a good example.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

gatz posted:

About the images - the washed out color stuff is a problem I'm having with my capture device, the elgato game capture hd.

EDIT: I've been playing around with the elgato controls and I think I found a setting that restores the lost vibrancy of the colors.

Before: After:

This was done through changing the saturation rather than gamma. I'll definitely rerecord the footage and have the images like this, including the cropping of borders.

I do this with my Hauppauge PVR2 whenever I record RE6, adding saturation to some games really does pretty up the game and make it feel like more authentic! For critique I'm just going to agree with Picayune and say that I think the pictures could be a little bigger, maybe wider if you can manage that.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

HenryEx posted:

Grinding in Last Remnant?

I think grinding is one of the worst things you can do to yourself in Last Remnant, since it only makes the game harder.

Yeah, supporting this statement. My friend bought the game on PC when it first came out and he would never stop telling me how how much the level scaling was ruining the experience, it makes the game unbeatable if you're too keen on exploring and grinding and he was never able to finish the game, so the only way to actually beat it is to just keep yourself low level. The soundtrack is pretty nice though, so I'm curious how the overall game is, although the main character is purported to be insufferably typical.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Because the post button is right next to the preview.

Someone said you can't post a thread without putting a title first I think, so it's one way to go about it.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Whatever happened to TheDarkId? I love his LPs, but he seems to have disappeared.

He's around, but he's not LPing for the time being I believe.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Powerfrog posted:

Dear Baldurk and co

I was just browsing through LP Archive and noticed there are no "Speed run" or "Skilled" categories. I guess challenge can fit the purpose fairly well but if it's not too much trouble adding one or both of those categories might be handy to separate goofy challenges from regular gameplay just with above average skill.

I don't know, these two seem pretty unnecessary. I mean, unless an LP was based entirely on doing a self-imposed challenge of some kind then it might go there but how many have actually done that? And, I think a lot of things can just be assumed. If you're good at the game, people will notice! Usually if the LPer is not they do mention it straight away in the first video I believe. For the most part I don't think these need to be tags.

I was doing challenges for RE6 from the audience but then I decided to stop and just go to town on the game, and I would not want a "challenge(s)" tag on the archival since they only lasted for a few updates and challenges done as a side thing are pretty superfluous to the whole shebang. If you start making challenges the focus then that leads into the next point: it could probably become something arrogant, but that isn't to say they can't be fun at all. I would think a lot of people just want to sit back and be shown something new and to be entertained by an LP.

There's also something about "Skilled" in that I think a lot of people would find that kind of attention craving among other things. Like I said, if you're good at the game it will show and the most I would do is say something like "I've played this game for x amount of hours so I'm positive I'll be able to bring out the most in this game!" at the start of a thread.

Edit: realized I missed the speed run tag. Yes, that could be there actually, I was too focused on "Challenge" and "Skilled," sorry. Also by the looks of it there already is a "Challenges" tag on the LParchive.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jun 13, 2013

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

ohnonotbadgers posted:

Hey,
So, real quick. What's the general consensus on heavily edited LPs? It's a simulation game, but it's also quite goofy and surreal. I'm shooting for a mixture between walkthrough, story and a little bit of riffing, but I'm not sold on 8 hours of un-edited footage even if I could touch upon all those areas in that time. The only LP I've seen of this game (youtube, not SA) has 60 parts and is totally unedited. That's not really doing the game any favors, which gave me the idea to essentially just show off all the unique things about it while somehow still relating it back to the campaign.

Is it alright to put together something heavily edited as long as you're still showing off the essence of the game? Unless I'm given a gazillion very strong opinions against it - I'm just going to make the first part and sandcastle it.

Define "heavily edited."

Basically, don't cut out important things and make sure you show off everything that the game is doing and cut grinding if there is some. Keep it a fluid trip and avoid alienating your viewers. If you can poke fun at it with editing, go for it. What game are we talking about here, too? As well, you should already be making a first post for the Sandcastle if you're serious about this.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Jaster posted:

I'm really confused why you guys seems so mad?

Like, I've clearly misjudged my (lack of) audience and decided to heed your advice and back out. That means you won, right? :(

You're right, my video isn't as good as I would like it to be. I'm going to make some other videos to practice and maybe I'll come back later and try a different series with a little more practice at editing and putting videos together on a different game. Probably not, though, as "blunt" is rapidly turning into "hostile" and the gang up style of critique is erring away from being helpful and towards cruel teasing. I never had delusions of being a Youtube superstar, whatever that is, I just thought it would be a fun game to play.

That's...kind of what happens when you start getting defensive here or anywhere else on SA.

You do realize this thread is meant to be dedicated to having some quality control for the sub-forum and that the regular posters here have seen plenty to make decent and informed calls on what comes through, right? Having watched the video some myself I'm inclined to agree with them. Not only that, Niggurath pointed out a while ago that the game wasn't much a good idea to VLP because of its intense grindiness. I was going to make a post to support that but I held back since he had all the good points.

But, I will now. You're basically commentating over a game that is entirely luck driven with no way (that I know of really) to make good decisions on how much to extort the customers of your shop, or even know when you can start pushing just a bit further and beyond. Making matters worse, you need to possess a high level of ESP to know how and when to score extortion streaks across multiple customers to then score magical extra money to even come close to building up the kind of purse you need to make it through the game's debt cycles. If there were stratagems like that, you could be making good headway into exploiting the best ways to build up your wallet, for example. Your commentary is a lot of white noise and going in blind isn't very reassuring in a game that is in all respects a mediocre indie title, a Japanese one at that, that is entirely determined by luck with repetitive dungeons to break up the monotony and which only has one claim to fame: its colourfully embellished corny dialogue.

If this was an SSLP written in a comedic vein going your own way with the story telling and keeping your capitalistic ventures succinct we wouldn't be having this discussion. This just isn't the kind of game you go entirely with video. If this were a hybrid, it might be perfect, with videos for actual game play or certain dialogue sequences if you were inclined, and screenshots to go through the rest. As a pure VLP, you might as well just use Cheatengine and get it over with.

ReturnOfFable posted:

Except those people are funny. They're not.

That's not supposed to be an insult by the way. Some people are just not funny. Trying to force humor is the worst thing you can do, it sounds bad and almost always works against you.

If your not a funny person, stop trying force it and work another angle. Easiest way to solve the problem.

This is something I can get behind. I don't consider myself a funny person and have never thought I had much to offer in general conversation but working on a game I was knowledgeable of I knew what moments to emphasize to try and keep the humor going from video to video, and I worked with what I had in memory and sought what best fit each moment, and have tried to avoid reusing major things.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Brainamp posted:

I'm actually planning on rerecording the first episode anyways cause of that. Part of the way through the recording, gwfl screwed up and messed with my controls, then it disconnected later. I'm not sure if there is a way to turn it off but I'm trying to take out every instance of it that I can.

Unless you stay signed out I don't believe there's a way to keep it from popping up like that.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

kalonZombie posted:

I know! It's like... we need a new standard protocol for this, now.

OPs are like EULAs: no general user will read them.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Sundowner posted:

garbage games

I am almost certain that I'd have to dig out Slant-Six's Slanted-Turd Operation Raccoon City for this thread if it's made :mad:

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Wasn't expecting this high level of quality to be honest. Well, whatever happens you've got a good start!

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Sundowner posted:

I don't think think people like that make the claims directly or even knowingly. It's youtube's robot kicking in to gear and thinking it's found a match and is attributing it elsewhere. I think charlestrippy is a well known v-logger or video maker of some sort so he's probably being "protected" by youtube. Doesn't change the fact that it's loving stupid, of course.

Without asking the guy directly (which usually never works) there's no way to really know. YouTube only acts automatically on behalf of big, official companies like Capcom, EA, so forth. He had to have made it himself or someone did it for him.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

a cartoon duck posted:

Funnily enough, there's a Touhou fangames megathread in the works, and I've got some stuff for it I'd like some thoughts on.

Wait, where do you know this from? I'm curious myself.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Lizard Wizard posted:

It's still an anime pornography game. This LP that you want to go through with is a proposed exception to a hard rule. You're not going to be able to do this without mod approval.

EMAIL SLOWBEEF.

I suggest him not doing this at all because I don't see how it would work out, but I don't know anything about the game and the content shouldn't be very heavy considering Nitro+'s other works.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jul 26, 2013

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Lizard Wizard posted:

To be fair, it's hard for us to discern that when you classify it as an eroge right off the bat.

Yeah. I don't really know how prevalent or impacting the actual questionable content is but I doubt it's super hardcore or anything like that. Probably just a one-off near the end of whatever 'path' they're on.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Chaostime posted:

So Bumfluff, Stiggs and I have been thinking about doing an XCOM LP. It's been a while since we did anything like this so comments are welcome :)

From the get-go I notice you're not auto-ducking for audio, you're being overpowered plus you were all pretty lax throughout this. I felt explanations could be better as someone completely unfamiliar with XCOM (although I know some of how Enemy Unknown plays myself so more discussion and exposition about that would help others who have never played or seen this game, like explaining what Overwatch, Hunkering Down, Dashing etc indicates and what it means to your turns). For this test video you were messing around with a lot over things you could have shown elsewhere (I would keep the base overview in video since it's nice to see the detail). For things like your squad's customization you could have left that to something else, like in screenshots.

For example, you could hybrid this up where you just use the videos to show us the base as it expands, maybe buy a few things in preparation and generally be fastidious: be at your briefing and then the mission(s) while leaving all your customization showings off to screenshots in the thread to solidify your audience input options. For just this prologue mission and the first mission I think it was going well and I'd assume you cut out a lot of unnecessary waiting or failures if they happened.

All that being said I think it's hilarious that so far you're videos have included defiance of reality (shooting through walls) and you seem like you all could have fun. I personally wish that it was being done live too!

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jul 27, 2013

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Fizzy Pop posted:

Now that I have (or at least what I assume to be) Slowbeef's permission proper, I decided to jump forward to a later point in the story to do my next test post, instead of just swiping from the prologue. If everything is a'okay with this, I'll start the actual LP soon.

Test Post #3

I'd also like to take this time to ask whether or not "panty shots" count as NSFW. If so, I'll be cutting out all of those as well, since the game appears to have a few.

It seems the butler is a distant cousin of Seymour Guado. As for the test post you seem to be following the basic lineup of an SSLP and everything's in high quality, I see no problems here, but others might talk to you about file sizes, you could probably go lower and save yourself some space if it's a big deal. I would recommend using tindeck for your music, it will show up better than a regular URL.

As for upskirts, you should ask slowbeef on that one too. How often do they happen?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Fizzy Pop posted:

I'd also like to take this time to ask whether or not "panty shots" count as NSFW. If so, I'll be cutting out all of those as well, since the game appears to have a few.

I also think it's a good question now to ask if you've played through this to completion already.

I looked up the CG set and there's quite a lot A LOT of lewd content. For every safe image there's suggestiveness overmuch; hardened nipples, panty shots in almost every social picture (there was even the slightest hint of the pantyline in your test post), not-so-steamy baths, and less than subtle innuendo. Did I mention plenty of tentacles? I reiterate: I don't know the pacing of these images but almost anything that doesn't involve the giant robots I have no doubt is going to be erotic in some way based off what I've seen. For the amount of things you'd have to cut out you're not 'gonna have much of an interesting read.

From experience I can only see this as a fully-fledged sex game with the standard outrageous narrative concept.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

your evil twin posted:

Just about to post a new thread, Mark IV style, motherfucker! Let's Play Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon

Another option would be The year is 2007, it is the future. Let's Play Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon!

Both are lines associated with the game, but the "it is the future" line has already been used by someone else, "Ghost Recon Future Soldier: The year is 2024. It is the future." Grrrr.

Is there any massively overused phrase in the dialogue?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Cangelosi posted:

He basically ADMITS to using a CAMCORDER for his earlier LPs.

And he's PROUD of it. PROUD!

I don't know what to make of this at all, but I'm sure there's some medication that can solve this sort of mania.

The dark ages of LP were long and miserable. Very few survived without the sunlight, it was blocked out by the black smoke of "Record the TV from 10ft away" players and users who couldn't select the proper colors and focus when they had the tripod set up in front of their screen.

slowbeef posted:

Can you write back and say, "I'm not him" and tell him my e-mail is lowtax@somethingawful.com if he wants to discuss it further?

Give him my address and imply that who he thinks is slowbeef is actually multiple people. Maybe we can push him out of the Top 5 "Started the LP hobby" group! lunethex@hotmail.com

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

This talk of simultaneous LPs reminds me of a text I got during the RE6 LP: it came to me in a PM (politely asking if it would step on my toes) around the 2nd update that somebody and his friend actually wanted to play the PC Version blind and I basically said "That sounds pretty boss, here's a bunch of links to mods and the RE Modding board so you can definitely do something different and interesting" but sadly it never cropped up. Not sure why, it would have been an interesting contrast to mine and a polar-opposite LP of the game like that would have perfectly showcased the ultra-random and quirky nature of Capcom's most favored franchise.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

slowbeef posted:

DSP Jokes

I hope someone does a video about USB devices and how some setups need you to flip them around and bitch about how you can't even fit it in the way you were doing it for X amount of years :allears:

(Then make mention that someone told you how to do what you're trying to do from a stream chat)

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

ChaosArgate posted:

If that's the case, forget it then. Man I didn't know Halo 3 rendered at less than 720p. You learn more every day.

Can't the 360 be set to upscale the display no matter what the default game resolution is? I have long been under this impression, so wouldn't your recording equipment just capture the upscale to 720p or higher?

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Sep 18, 2013

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

TheQkey posted:

I'm planning to do a video LP of a Resident Evil-like PC game. I've decided to do it in voice, solo and post-commentary to better exhibit the oddities and interesting things that would be hard to showcase via screenshots. I'm having a bit of a problem with the commentary though...

I've only ever dabbled in screenshot and subtitled LPs before, and because of that I'm producing what could very well be called a video screenshot LP. I can't seem to find a proper balance between being informative (my preferred style) and just shooting the poo poo, thus I end up with a 5-minute monologue on battle tactics spoken over 2-minutes of actual combat, and painfully fake, pre-written quips that make me sound like an aspiring video game reviewer from youtube.

Sadly, I don't have a suitable partner to team up with.

Could any of you successful people share some tips on how to do good post-commentary? Do you make lists of topics to mention or something like that?

Please name this Resident Evil-like PC game, if just for me.

When I started RE6 I thought I'd write and rehearse topics of note but I didn't, it wasn't working out and I stopped after one sentence. I was so uninspiring that I asked people to vote on whether I should have continued with vocal commentary. I simply said things as they happened if they were new and unseen, explaining the mechanics in pseudo real-time. That's the best advice you can be given. Know the game to its fullest, give some detail on everything new, spread it out and you're golden.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Leal posted:

Cavalry only, no archers, open plains. Let's play Prophesy of Pendor!

Prophesy of Pendor is a mod for Mount and Blade Warband that creates its own lore, factions, units and its own map. Its also really hard (and at times, tedious.), some compare it to Dark Souls difficulty but thats assuming Dark Souls didn't let you do counter attacks and dodging and instead became a numbers game. So of course I'll be running through this from level 1, only quitters import a level 60 character :colbert:.

This is using the latest version of the game, which includes things such as nerfing the Qualis Gem potions and allowing the huge minor faction armies the ability to ransack towns. I'll explain those when I get to it, without further ado:

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=15917

Are the pictures ok? Could they stand to be a bit bigger, should I make them smaller? Save them in a different file? Too much explaining, not enough?

Wow, someone's doing this :haw:

The pictures are fine to me, go about it how you want. Have you considered not using emoticons to denote speakers in dialogue though? I think it'd be a bit better to have mugshots.

This mod was the reason I spent over 300 hours at M&B: Warband. So my questions are a few and without being too spoilerific. Are you going to write a little narrative surrounding this? Are you really going to forgo archers? (Every PoP player will think of what you could get in this game if you were about archers, including me :smugbert:)

e. (post below reminded me)

I'm in a bit of a rush so I forgot to say, can you do videos? On top of that, did you/could you increase the troop count by modifying the config file? The battles, and in fact the overworld travel, are all made infinitely better by the lineup of tracks they have in this game, especially the stuff by Lind Erebros. For all interesting or new battles I'd recommend videos. I wouldn't say this is a spoiler but there are random events where great heroes of legend or something come around and wreak havoc on the land and you fight gigantic armies as a result. They always have their own theme, so videos there would definitely be a plus.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Oct 10, 2013

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Lance Streetman posted:

Awhile back it was discovered that Machinima signed people on using contracts that basically said all video content produced by that person, forever, belonged to Machinima and that they could not host videos without pimping Machinima or sign onto another service while signed onto Machinima (and machinima contracts were binding, non-negotiable, and lasted forever). This was all hidden in the middle of a bunch of legalese, so most people couldn't figure this out even if they read the full contract. Think the contracts directors used to force actors to sign in the early days of film, and you've basically got the machinima contracts.

Ed: Here's an article about it. http://www.dallasobserver.com/2013-01-10/news/rage-against-the-machinima/full/

Basically, they're getting video creators in their late teens and early twenties to sign contracts which effectively bar them from making any content across any form of media without Machinima's sponsership and ads, for the rest of their life.

This reminds me of something (I don't remember it very well) where a company (I believe a game dev) said that if you want to play their game you have to agree to a TOS etc and they just snuck in something like "you agree that your life is forfeit to us at all times and we own you etc" just to prove that nobody really reads those things. That the stuff about Machinima there is actually true...I am pretty shocked by it but they're too big to fail so nobody will care.

Also they make YouTube a lot of money.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Brainamp posted:

I think that was a joke by a japanese dev and it was that they owned your soul if you agreed to the TOS.

Yeah, it was soul my bad.

Here's the link.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Is there a way to check the "featured LP" blurbs including the little picture on any LP without it going through the rotation?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Explosionface posted:

You mean like this? http://lparchive.org/blurbs

That took a little bit of digging in the archive thread because I can't remember the easiest url ever.

That's exactly what I was looking for, thanks.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Shugojin posted:

Let's Play will die with a VLP of a new, ultra-realistic, character driven licensing of Oregon Trail.

The first death scene will be the main character drowning in 3-foot deep water.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Well I've been running some options through my head for a while and I think I'd like to do another LP based on the circumstances. I've put together an OP I want some criticism on!

Our leader, the Father, believes in the future in COLONY WARS!

quote:

The Earth is fully stripped of natural resources by the fifth millennium. As a result, the Earth Empire sends out expeditionary sleeper ships to distant planets found to have abundant natural resources and harvest them, spreading like a sickness with no planet or life form immune to it. Vast tracks of the universe have already been rendered sterile by its progress.

The discovery of hyperspace technology accelerates the Empire's interstellar expansion. As the colonies become more prosperous, the inhabitants begin to feel discontent over most of their mined resources being used for Earth's benefit. The Empire’s scant regard for the freedom of the local population or the well-being of the environment has led to its vicious methods bringing widespread famine, drought, and death.

A peaceful insurrection in the 48th century only results in the Earth Empire's leader, the Tzar, personally leading the destruction of a rebellious planet. Stunned by the carnage, the other colonies band together as the League of Free Worlds, with a man known as the Father leading the fight.

The Empire's Colonial Navy sends a fleet to attack League forces in the Gallonigher system, but the League executes hit-and-run strikes as they fall back to the main capital planet, Bennay. When the Navy overextends its forces for the assault on Bennay, the League lures them into a trap inside a nearby asteroid belt, where the Navy strike fleet is destroyed.

The game picks up several months after a key victory at what is now known as the Battle of Bennay, when the player character signs up for combat duty with the League as it fully mobilize for war. The battle proved that meticulous planning could harm the Empire and its Colonial Navy, and as a result the League’s ambition is longer an imagination.

Colony Wars is a piece of beautiful history, as I would put it. Psygnosis put out a lot of games in their time, some good, some bad, some exceptional. Colony Wars is in a league of its own and was equivalent to a game called Descent, which was succeeded by Freespace, something many considered the end-all of Space Sims at the time, itself preceded one year by Colony Wars. In this game you will pilot Scouts, Bombers, Interceptors, and Stealth Fighters armed with an array of weaponry like EMP cannons and Plasma Torpedoes, but craft are pre-chosen for you before missions by League Command in order to maximize efficiency.

In this non-linear game spanning over 70 missions, the player is faced with a bevy of missions and five different endings depending on their performance. Success and failure in one mission will not dramatically decide the fate of the war between the Colonial Navy and the League of Free Worlds, but too much failure will lock you into a path that you will have no choice but to see to its bitter conclusion. A challenging, difficult game where every fast-paced mission spans two discs is not only complemented by fun gameplay, but novella-length dialogue outside of the action. Between the missions are narrated FMVs which detail the state of the war and the mood of the nascent League.

For this LP I will strive to show off every interesting thing about it. Not many games had this kind of love and care put into them. The game also features two separate databases, one for the Solar Systems and their planets, the other for the fighter ships and fleet craft possessed by both sides – each subject has fully voiced and detailed explanations given which all tie into the fictional world. I’ve always wondered if Colony Wars was meant to be a book instead of a game, but in this way at least someone got to have their possibility of space travel showcased!

Because of the nature of the game and my wanting to show every single mission off (most missions, especially later ones, have unique things to them and I feel they deserve to be shown + all the FMVs for these missions because, come on, Burt Caesar is awesome) so there won’t be any voting on paths to take. Because there is also a certain condition that needs to be fulfilled for one particular ending, I’m going to take five different routes through the game in order to get all the 5 endings and get access to the missions and narrative.

To make this a little better, I’ll try to take a proper path through the missions on their respective paths to help add to the narrative and garner a better viewing experience. I think that’s my thing now since RE6 :v:

“…without Diomedes, the League was finished; without the League, Diomedes was dead…”

(2:24) [Mission 1: Initial Duty] - YouTube(PC)|YouTube(PS3)

“…confidence was evaporating. Self-belief was draining from my comrades and myself, and from what I heard, there were those who even blamed the Father himself…”

“The Tzar promised glory tomorrow in return for treachery today, then watched as the League ripped itself apart. Our League was in agony…”

“Rookies were becoming hardened to the fluctuations of war as innocent fears were forgotten in the searing heat of battle…we hoped the Navy were learning those fears as we were losing ours…”

“In those split seconds after victory was won…I thought the stars were parting to let us through!”

Among other things I’d like to rotate guest commentators if anyone has cool Sci-fi facts to share. I’m sure there are a lot of subtle references or drawings from other sources in this game which, personally, I wouldn’t know about. The missions themselves will be short so there won’t be a lot of time to talk and I’ll probably end up having to leave other tidbits to post, but I’ll always have something to say about the state or objective of certain missions as nothing overstays its welcome in this game. I plan on chaining groups of missions together to get a good length out of the game though.

As we discover new things I will detail the weapon in post, but for any new systems and craft discovered, I will have a video dedicated to the explanation of such things due to them being voiced by a rather interesting actress!

At the end of it, I just want to take those who have played this game down memory lane into the late 90s, and for those who missed this title I hope it is inspirational and entertaining to experience! I’ll have pictures of the game’s manual later just for the heck of it.

:siren:Let’s keep this spoiler-free, especially the endings!:siren:

There's still a lot of planning I need to go through to tie all the missions together (around 70!) so this won't be coming for a bit due to that technical oddity I mentioned. I just want to know if this OP looks good and to talk about the videos. I want to play this game on ePSXe but so I can do away with the pesky lack of anti-aliasing and get a smoother experience out of the game, doing it a good justice I think thanks to the emulator plugins! But, I'd be using Fraps to record.

The only problem I have with doing it on my PC is that the frame rate will/may drop at times, and I can't record at 30fps on fraps without it being a bumpy ride, (cue file sizes coming up here but due to the mission lengths it shouldn't be so bad) I don't know how to set the emulator up properly to avoid this. My PS3 is capable of PSX emulation so I can run it on there but it will have all the glory of the PSX days showing yet be without any issue except brightness/contrast and the bit rate which I'd have to clean up.

Thoughts?

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Nov 6, 2013

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

The second I saw his name I knew this posting frenzy would happen.

Everyone should avail themselves of this video by Habermann: YouTube

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Highwang posted:

I'm wondering how I can make the title a bit less of a mouthful.

Thoughts on the OP as a whole?

It's a tough call but I would suggest that the thread title should have Revelaitons in there.

I'd say a little sprucing up on the assessment of the "What is this game?" part is in order. The quality of the videos is solid and clear. I think this is an LP that would greatly benefit from the Dual-Audio approach - two different videos with commentary absent for cut-scenes since you are talking over a lot of the game's admittedly silly exposition but that will probably end up being just me.

Other than that this has potential, both for something interesting and for the RE5+ humor so I hope you'll carry on with it.

I also have the PC version!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

It's been said at some point in the past but I think people plain prefer group efforts so that there's the feeling of "I want to have that too (but I can't so I'll watch it)" in them. Going solo in most cases, unless you're lucky to have a golden voice or have a balanced gift of the gab, will not usually grab and keep attention unless you're playing a game that everyone's just plain curious about, but for the most part that just boils down to the author's charm and range of knowledge on what they're playing. That being said, variety in the commentary, which you automatically get with a group, and forward thinking in technical terms are still important. The point is to convey thrill.

Personally, if you want to talk raw minimum, I think it's mostly in the voice. If you've got a clear and strong voice you'll always get a good base of followers :v:

There are other more reasons for explaining the lack of interest of course but this is what comes to mind based on this topic, since it's already been pointed out that most people will stick to the ones they know they like or experienced authors, and potential authors may find themselves discouraged by past threads. At the end of it, as some have said, just prompt the thread for anything. It worked out well for me when I asked for music recommendations :)

Niggurath posted:

Yeah, quite often I've had the term 'low-effort' thrown in my general direction in regards to my threads and I question why. I plan out my LP's ahead of time, I perfect and make sure I'm ultra competent at the game and knowledgeable, at times I have to play through games like six or seven times over (or in the case of Silent Hill 2 I ended up having to replay that game 14 times in a two month period) to unlock all endings and items, and I make sure that I'm clear, coherent, and informative. But in the end, people seem to want reactions or mimicry of other LP'ers and I question if they want better technical quality or some immeasurable meter of 'entertainment' that I don't know how to get.

Being too informative on the game-side of things will take away the excitement of discovery from those who might play it or from those eking it out in viewing. If anything, just try to fulfill the role of someone who's ushering everyone in the door just to the side near a velvet rope, as someone encouraging them to try it out and have fun as you are.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Dec 4, 2013

• Locked thread