Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kung-Fu Jesus
Dec 13, 2003

Well it's about time. Just a couple notes about the IRC channel:

If you do IRC drama on the forums we'll ban you from the channel for a long time. If you're awful we'll ban you but for less of a long time. If you just want to ask questions or say dumb things or idle then that's cool. There are no rules except those and the whims of the IRC bosses. We don't talk about LPs much so don't be surprised.

One useful resource in IRC is Rirse. He knows lots of things about lots of LPs and has personally archived many videos. His dedication is baffling and impressive, and if you can deal with his weird grammar and fascination with really old LP drama, he should be your go-to.

For technical assistance there are many people who can walk you through AVISynth scripts, computer hardware, recording hardware, streaming logistics, etc. Because we're a global community (and/or nerds who stay up til 4am) chances are good that someone will be around at any given hour.

Trin Tragula is a cool dude.

It's not official. Nothing that happens in there has any bearing on these forums. I don't know what that means exactly but it sounds right and good. There is no shadow LP cabal or IRC hitsquad or anything like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kung-Fu Jesus
Dec 13, 2003

slowbeef posted:

...Anybody wanna take a guess as to why we're the #1 forum right now? We've got more people browsing than Games or GBS. (But more a higher guests/members ratio than anyone, so... some thread get linked somewhere?)
Guessing the pokemon test post

Kung-Fu Jesus
Dec 13, 2003

Let's Plays upgraded to real hobby. I guess I'll start taking it seriously.

Kung-Fu Jesus
Dec 13, 2003

Skippy Granola posted:

This is carte blanche for you to act like a complete diva in your threads.

Be careful though, LPs are a gateway drug to podcasting.

When I have to explain to people in real life what I'm doing on the internet with recording equipment I say I have a podcast. Essentially the same thing.

Kung-Fu Jesus
Dec 13, 2003

Niggurath posted:

I guess I've missed this proven experience since it was from 4 years ago, but Proteus is pointing out the same thing I am. And the criticism has been met with "Why are you so mad at dave_o?" and "Why don't you give it a chance to get better?". It's not my dislike of the LP'er and more that this is some bizarro hypocrisy.
On the other hand you're saying that if someone attempts to LP one of the games on the Forbidden List that we should automatically, no matter who it is, encourage them in the strongest terms to desist. Essentially you believe in the idea that some games are "un-LP-able" and should be left alone?

Criticize his LP all you want for valid reasons, but not just because he's attempting to play Minecraft. Maybe it will be boring, unfunny, and plodding like every other Minecraft LP, but maybe not.

I dunno, I just want him to have a couple vids up to determine a trend before I drop warm shits in his gaping mouth

Kung-Fu Jesus
Dec 13, 2003

Niggurath posted:

And saying I should stick around for the videos to get better or the gimmick to become obvious is not really something that people would do for most LP's.
I mean, I always expect a twist ending in M. Night movies, but not so much in movies from other directors. Also each of his movies was way worse than the previous one.

From your description, though, it sounds like all my fears about Minecraft LPs realized. Gotta go home to watch it though.

Kung-Fu Jesus
Dec 13, 2003

Yeah but is DotA 2 going to be that different from its sequel? I have a feeling it will be easy enough to get permission to launch early in this case. It's like having a new The Sims game about to come out and waving the 3 month rule around.

Kung-Fu Jesus
Dec 13, 2003

jawbroken posted:

pokecapn posted:

I didn't know you were into auto-erotic asphyxiation :thurman:

Kung-Fu Jesus
Dec 13, 2003

Hahaha I guess they don't know that no search engine gives a gently caress about the keywords meta tag, or that it could actually lower their ranking!

Kung-Fu Jesus
Dec 13, 2003

JamieTheD posted:

Heck, due to the game review site I work for being canadian, and thus having some interesting rules, we can't even technically get a kickstarter to rejig the site (much needed), get a nice camera and some green cloth to do video posts (probably a good idea), and generally get the reviewers/editors decently paid (would actually be drat fine around now, ta muchly!)
Kickstarter is just crowdsourced seed money. You can still potentially get seed money in the traditional ways -- hitting up rich people, incubators, funds, etc. If you already have a business but it's floundering, you're better off examining your strategy and getting some good advice (and then implementing it!). Maybe a business loan if things are looking dire. If your business model is poo poo, you will leak money, and Kickstarter or other revenue sources will do you no good.

Kung-Fu Jesus
Dec 13, 2003

Except that many of these Kickstarter projects take place in the context of a business. Businesses do projects all the time. Sometimes the project defines the business! It all depends on how it's pitched, really.

Kung-Fu Jesus
Dec 13, 2003

It's actually always fair game to do an LP of any game at any time.

Kung-Fu Jesus
Dec 13, 2003

Quovak posted:

At last, vindication to LP the Pokemon hentai game that came out on Tuesday.
I'd read it.

Kung-Fu Jesus
Dec 13, 2003

Yeah you can skip cutscenes in that one!

Kung-Fu Jesus
Dec 13, 2003

Pork Lift posted:

There is just one rule to making content on the internet and it is "please don't be a charisma black hole"

A rule you've never followed! ha haHa

HA

HAAAAAA

Kung-Fu Jesus
Dec 13, 2003

Yeah, it's a feature of the forums but there's no handy link for it. I think SALR does it (Firefox extension).

Kung-Fu Jesus
Dec 13, 2003

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I remember watching KFJ's God Hand LP and getting put off when he started talking about oval office-kicking, but that's more because I just don't like the word. Overuse of swearing as a whole just makes me think of all the folks out there still trying to do the Angry Internet Critic thing and I can be plenty unfunny on my own without trying to ape anyone, thank you :colbert:

It was oval office-punching, actually.

Kung-Fu Jesus
Dec 13, 2003

Danaru posted:

The comment system might work if there's some kind of confirmation thing similar to LPix, that confirms that you have an active SA account. Otherwise I imagine it would devolve into youtube levels of commenting fairly fast.
Hmm, a site where you can only make posts if you have an SA account.... It's called Something Awful dot com, dumbass!

The freaking bakas are running wild on SA these days

Kung-Fu Jesus
Dec 13, 2003

Danaru posted:

I was more referring to LPs who's threads are closed or archived now. Also I personally think it would be better without comments like it is now, I was just putting forward a possible compromise.

Yeah, but then you talk about it in the LP recommendations thread. Or TV Tropes.

Kung-Fu Jesus
Dec 13, 2003

General Ironicus posted:

Someone has written a Master's thesis about LP and why it deserves academic attention in media studies and related fields. It quotes a lot of people here and the video bibliography is pretty much a timeline of notable threads in the subforum: https://www.academia.edu/5260639/From_Jackasses_to_Superstars_A_Case_for_the_Study_of_Lets_Play_

Here we go again

Kung-Fu Jesus
Dec 13, 2003

Hey guys what's up I'm just checking in to say that face cams will probably get you laughed out of your own thread and for good reason, but there are legitimate uses for face cam technology.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC3axJhdzSI

The invisible hand of the free market and public opinion will kill all but the most determined face cam users, so in my opinion, it's probably not worth it to ban or otherwise materially punish them. They will suffer enough when their egos are blasted with nuclear hate missiles and bad thread posts. Probably. Maybe I'm talking bull poo poo who knows. Anyway, keep it real everyone!

Kung-Fu Jesus
Dec 13, 2003

Cybershell posted:

Look I just want to state for the record Clownbirth did loving suck at peggle.
Is that possible according the the laws of our physical universe?

Kung-Fu Jesus
Dec 13, 2003

Don't know where else to put this, but Kaz, pokecapn, medibot, and I did a commentary track for The Gunstringer like 2 years ago and we included an easter egg that no one found. Here's a video of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhWbw4C14i8

Kung-Fu Jesus
Dec 13, 2003

I'm flattered that you feel the need to have a meta discussion about my thread in the sandcastle, but ask yourself... do you really need to?

Kung-Fu Jesus
Dec 13, 2003

Richard Game 'N Go Away

Kung-Fu Jesus
Dec 13, 2003

I had the low volume problem with my Snowball so I stopped using it. I put it on a mic stand and kept it inches away from my mouth because that's the only way anyone could hear me. With the Yeti I just have to make noise in its general direction and it sounds great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kung-Fu Jesus
Dec 13, 2003

Suspicious Dish posted:

I've found that if you put it on Setting 3 it picks up a lot -- basically everything, but on Setting 1 the lows are cut out, and on Setting 2 (Setting 1 but -10dB) nobody can hear me.
This is what people told me but it didnt work

e: also mine was black

• Locked thread