Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

KDavisJr posted:

Don't mean to ask a stupid question but how come you closed the other thread?

It was getting big and old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

unpronounceable posted:

Clearly getting a mod's approval is only doing so much for pokemon test posts. Can we get a rule saying you'll get probated if your pokemon test post, which is supposed to be new and original, isn't deemed new and original by the Ivory Tower Egghead HQSandcastle? They aren't too common, but they still pop up more than they should.

Just to be clear, I only gave him approval to make the test post, not the thread. Sorry if I was unclear.

I mean, we get one every ... what? Two months? Once a month?

Previous to the bottleneck (which I'll admit, right now, that's all it really is), it was more like once a week. But if you want me to add more rigor to it, sure.

I don't mind adding a "week's probation if it sucks" clause. I just honestly didn't see it as a huge problem.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Proteus4994 posted:

Probating people for bad test posts, even if it is Pokemon, goes against the entire point of the Sandcastle. Shame them, sure, but I don't think the banhammer needs to be pulled out for a bad test post, no matter what it is (unless it breaks forum rules).

I will do anything to stop talking about Pokemon though.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
...Anybody wanna take a guess as to why we're the #1 forum right now? We've got more people browsing than Games or GBS. (But more a higher guests/members ratio than anyone, so... some thread get linked somewhere?)

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

FakeKraid posted:

For my part, I'll let it go because I don't like conflict or drama, but I want it known that I'm not a pansy who'll take poo poo from people either.

Thank you for being the bigger man in all this. Thank God the real Kraid didn't make a test post!

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

FakeKraid posted:

Thanks for your support and encouragement. I enjoyed reading your Darkseed LP's.

Well poo poo, now I feel bad.

edit: Disclaimer: I do not actually feel bad.

slowbeef fucked around with this message at 16:47 on May 22, 2012

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

CodyDaviesTV posted:

I suppose I could get away with all those kinds of things if I were an established veteran here, but since I'm not I'm happy to keep it as a hobby.

No, I have the feeling doing Minecraft LPs and keeping things at the gimmick level wouldn't work for "established veterans" either. You can see that sort of thing happen to "established" LPers here from time to time.

edit2: nm

slowbeef fucked around with this message at 04:43 on May 27, 2012

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
Also I removed that psuedo-hobby line from the Rules thread because it's a relic of the times when this poo poo started and people wouldn't LP a game if someone else was doing it, or get legitimately mad over thread hijackings, or describe someone who made a good Let's Play as "a legend". It gets bandied around, regardless of the point behind it, so whatever.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

CodyDaviesTV posted:

I'm not here to shine, I'm here to read other LPs. As I said, I don't have the work ethic to try a big SA LP, so I haven't. And I thought there was etiquette about internet detectiving people here. I keep my Youtube stuff separate for a reason so I'd appreciate not having it brought here for mockery.

No, I called out your last line because you implied that it's not about hard work, it's about being part of in-group mentality.

Also you're kidding yourself on the detective bit, and you know it. Your username has the word TV in it because you were trying to call attention to your YouTube channel when you made the account (why the hell else would it be there, if you didn't already have a "channel.") I didn't even need to hit Google on that one.

edit: You know, I'll back off. I really don't think that was Internet detectivery at all, but fine. I told you I was annoyed by the one line, and I'll leave it at that.

slowbeef fucked around with this message at 04:42 on May 27, 2012

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
^^^ Better answer.

Xander77 posted:

Ugh. I was just about to ask this, and it's less than relevant now.

But still, why "pseudo"-hobby.? I mean, hobbies aren't that serious to begin with (in theory) and LP-ing seems to fit every hobby definition.

Basically, when people were flame-warring about LPs and writing page-long posts about what this guy is and isn't doing and all that crap, I meant it to sort of ground things. Adding a qualifier to "hobby" (as if to imply it's not even a hobby) was meant to underscore the "This is not a big deal" point of it.

I do think SA serves a good purpose in its LP forum insofar as it's a more specialized version of YouTube and I don't want people who do put time and effort into a good thread to have it dismissed as a "pseudo-hobby", so I don't like that use of the phrase.

I know some of the Rules thread is stale, due to it being a modification of AxeManiac's original Rules thread (I mean, Rule #1 is kinda ridiculous and the 56k thing doesn't happen anyway... ...maybe I should repost that thread actually...)

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

VoidBurger posted:

Thank gawd. About loving time.

opinions_no_one_cares_about.txt

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

dave_o posted:

I've been trying to get in touch with Le Beef, I kind of disappeared from the internet for a few years haha. I still have his phone number but don't want to be a weirdo textin' a dude. :3:

I have a different number now anyway. I also got Proton Jon's number if you want to call him.

Alright, I should know better than to do circlejerk poo poo like this, so IM me one of these days.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

WickedIcon posted:

I can do that last thing? Definitely going to drop slowbeef an email about that (especially since I should probably do that anyways regarding the game's 3-month-rule status).

The 3-month thing is fine if the dev gave you permission.

You can't resize down to 682x384? ...Wait, how is this game running at 1364x768 resolution? Are you sure that's the default?

I don't PC game, so if someone wants to correct me, isn't that an odd resolution?

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Zarah posted:

Digging this up from the previous page to see if there's any other comments anyone wants to make before I go whole-hog with it.

I have a meeting to run off to, so I could only watch the first 5 minutes.

All in all, I'm happy with it. As far as critique, you guys reference Mega Man X6 a lot... I guess that's a previous LP you did that I missed? So I was kinda lost.

It's not worth redoing the video just for that or anything, maybe something to keep in mind for future ones. You guys can talk over each other once or twice, like you talk right over the other guy's "I get my tea from there!" joke, so maybe pause for those one-offs or something (but admittedly, that's hard to do).

I liked it. I'm an Indy fan, so if you started the thread, I'd give it a watch. I say go for it.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
Special thanks to Zorak for editing/reformatting/rewriting some parts of the LP Rules thread which has been reposted for your reading convenience.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Nyaa posted:

デキる男のモテライフ 昼のモテ講座編.

Why????

Just tell us, sheesh.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Nyaa posted:

Loosely translated it would be Mr.Universal Dating Day Life

That's what I meant - I didn't get why you had just posted the Japanese title, assuming you also knew what the English translation was.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Speedball posted:

What's with all the drama in the second Skyrim thread?

As far as I can figure, the OP started with a lackluster character creation post.

One guy complained, and got a response, but he pressed the point, other people came into defend and it started spiraling out of control.

I posted a "shut up and let's see the next update" response because it didn't appear awful enough to be gassed/reposted or anything, and it's totally possible that the OP couldn't do much with the game's character creation stuff (like they said) and is planning to kick it into higher gear next update.

It's one of those situations where it seemed like the complaint was valid, and the OP's first response seemed sane and measured, so I'm waiting to see where the thread goes for now. I might revisit some more individual posts later, but for now, I'm stuck late at my job with version control woes, and I wanted to at least stem the nonsense.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Alkydere posted:

The image quality is actually pretty good though people more picky than me will probably tell you to use .png files instead of .jpg.

I think the rest of your advice is fine, but .PNG isn't always better than .JPG. For photorealistic stuff, use JPG because you want to keep a complicated image's filesize down. For non-photorealistic stuff (cartoony/old video games), use PNG to keep sharp quality.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

PoshAlligator posted:

It really is ridiculous.

I use YouTube. It's great and I don't see any reason why anyone wouldn't.

There is ONE reason that I can think of - really the only one.

If you're doing a plot heavy game or something you don't want spoiled, using YouTube as is can lead to your readers seeing spoilers in the related videos tab.

Of course, you can solve this by using Polsy's YouTube player, or a different host, but it is like the one con.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
Isn't this one of those PC VGA games that were made for monitors with rectangular pixels or something?

It's like there's no actual "right" solution since the closest correct resize is something ridiculous like 1920x2048 or something weird? Something.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Proteus4994 posted:

Why are you doing this?

I don't know that I'd mind a blind LP of a game "everyone" has played, but yeah, I'm not really feeling this attempt for reasons previously cited.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

MeccaPrime posted:

Don't use tinypic for LP's, I guess.

No, no, ALWAYS use tinypic for LP's.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Egomaniac posted:

Having never played or heard of this game I'm going to totally disagree with the poster above me. You need much more commentary. Who are we (the character)? What are we doing? What are the mechanics? What is all that stuff in the game world? You may have been planning on putting that info in the OP, but the last two in particular need to be explained as they come up. The game's clearly weird and quirky, which means you don't have to try and be funny. Just be informative and highlight the weirdness.

Absolutely stick with screenshots.

I think an animated GIF could help because I have no idea what our character entirely looks or moves like.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Mezurya posted:

Is my account doomed to eternal damnation? I was uploading a 40 minute test post last night, but it failed and I got the message that I can only post 15 minute ones. I'm uploading the test post to an alt account right now, but I wanna know if I should just pack it up and put everything on this new account.

You need to dispute the claim or contact YouTube support and tell them you uploaded the video in error, and have since deleted it.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

CestMoi posted:

It's this and it's the Dangan Ronpa double update that's causing it.

Is it really that? Today's update was actually loving huge.

edit: Asking Chooch. Read that drat thread if you haven't!

slowbeef fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Sep 8, 2012

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

baldurk posted:

On the topic of milestones too, I forgot to mention in my last post that the archive has hit 1000 LPs. Thanks to all the authors and everyone for reading, it's kind of cool to look back on how far the forum has come in the last 5 years or so (yes it has been that long, drat).

Also congrats on this, thank you for all the hard work.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
Can everyone do me a favor and tell baldurk he's crazy?

"Hey, I couldn't find your Max Payne LPs on lparchive.org (which is the site you host)"

baldurk posted:

Dunno, really. They're not particularly amazing combined with an ill feeling like I'm giving myself special treatment even though I wouldn't be. Like it feels like it's a conflict of interest somehow although I can't say why.

Jeez, man, you run and host the site as well as a real-deal dedicated LP image and video host. I don't think anyone would think less of you for linking to your own Let's Plays on your own drat servers!

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Mico posted:

I was under the impression that threadshitting was against the rules in the entire forums, on any page, except for FYAD because FYAD is an alternate dimension.

You can get around any rule on the forums if you post something (really) funny.

Look, the whole trick is if you're threadshitting, you're making a gamble with me. You're saying, "This thread is so awful, that even a mod's gonna agree that it's only use is mocking the poster. Right, slowbeef?" (or Zorak)

In the recent case of Venus Hostage, I was genuinely asking if it was "that bad" because it didn't seem like soooooo horrible. Note nothing got probated or gassed, so whatever.

In the case of the Slender LP with the scare cam that just happened, pfft, yeah threadshit away, that was nonsense.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

PersonMan and I were gonna crash the Pong thread, but then slowbeef closed it.

I'll reopen it. This better be good!

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Nohman posted:

I figure this is as good a place as any to ask, but I am curious what LPs those that have done multiple have enjoyed completing the most. And the least for that matter. I'd be interested to hear from the perspective of the people that do the things.

Snatcher (the screenshot one) - because people really got into it, and it was awesome to show off a game I'd liked so much and have everyone experience it sorta vicariously. Sometimes people don't take an LP how you'd quite intended (I don't think I ever conveyed that Dead To Rights really is kinda fun to play, though the ridiculous story was still front and center), but Snatcher, things worked perfectly.

It certainly wasn't my best work (I was in kind of a rush to complete it by Christmas), but it was really satisfying to see a game you like get some late recognition.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Peenmaster posted:

In the vein of having to play a game multiple times, the game I'm LPing right now (Home) has no save feature, and I'm letting the reader make the MANY choices in the game. This ultimately comes to me playing the game all the way from the beginning up to the next choice, every time I update. It's not a long game, but it's going to get pretty tedious towards the end.

Sprung blew away my saves like 13 times. Really.

In a game that's all dialogue trees, that was more than a little annoying.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

MeccaPrime posted:

I don't know if Mods can look at that either (probably not, but it wouldn't hurt to ask).

I don't believe I'm able to edit or quote archived posts.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

BioEnchanted posted:

That was certainly an experience. By the way, was that last person Slowbeef? It was credited as MeccaPrime but the voice is very distinctive, and I have a feeling the 'cast list' wasn't entirely serious. :P

I didn't include myself or Diabetus since the "cast list" was supposed to be more like "Thanks to:" Also, the guy with the bong is not Dave_O.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

If anything it'll be taken down for animal abuse.
Poor doggy. :(

:ssh: I would never subject a dog to actually watching the video.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Mulderman posted:

If done by someone with a working brain yea. But this sad pathetic manchild just yells the stuff because dumb kids think he's edgy and funny that way. I don't get offended by something like that. It's loving retarded so I prefer just to ignore it.
But the option to flag his videos for inappropriate content is there so if enough people do it...

I dunno. I'd rather not stoop to the level of "I don't like it, therefore you shouldn't be able to either."

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Elliotw2 posted:

He is basically what happens when the very popular dumb voice LPers combine with the very popular stupid scarecam LPers. It's not any more complex than "Popular thing + popular thing = super popular thing!!"

And guess what:

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
I wanna try one. From:

http://pewdies-spookyarmy.tumblr.com/post/33670956564/last-and-final-rant

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

TwoDayLife posted:

Can we stop with the rapist accusations against folks who support pewdeepie? It's disingenuous at best, and potentially harmful at worst.

Aw, I didn't really mean it like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

BrainWeasel posted:

Has the hubbub mostly died down? Because I think I'm comfortable with the technical stuff now, and I want all the feedback I can get on my content.

FFXII IZJS Test Video

I think it might have one last day or two in it, unless something else weird happens.

Anyway, I hate to pick apart high-effort test posts, but I had a problem maybe other people won't. During the Air Cutter Remora fight, I read your paragraph on the left and started watching the fight. I was focusing on the right, where the combat was and then I realized you'd written something else. By the time I finished reading it, I missed the Remora strike.

The two-column approach is definitely unique, and you might have something there, but I have to take my eyes off the action to read, and even worse, when I'm watching the action, I'm missing when the text updates, because it's a subtle transition that's happening in the corner of my eye.

I'm thinking traditional subtitles might be the way to go, honestly. Unless you have a better callout to text updates and really good timing in terms of not writing things while there's stuff onscreen that I want to watch.

• Locked thread