Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

I don't think I ever played the original seriously. All I ever did was use the hand gun to hold people up and follow people around in cardboard boxes while binding "Don't mind me, I am just a ordinary box"
Wait, that's not how you're supposed to play the game? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qxz9p
Aug 15, 2005

your salmon tastes like happiness
I loved the poo poo out of the first one and by golly I love the fact that you're doing this. I can't wait for the opportunity to play it!

Cow Tippin Sloth
Jan 4, 2010
I've had the honor of playing this.

10/10

great stuff, premium fun.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
The original one was some pretty hilarious bullshit but gimmicky so hopefully this time around it has more staying power.

Cow Tippin Sloth
Jan 4, 2010
they plan on being able to edit how weapons behave on the fly via console

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
Why am I not playing this right now?

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO
This really needs a goon beta.

Dr. Derek
Jan 1, 2010

Faster than a dead horse falling through orbit

it was mentioned that one of the goals of development was the ability to modify weapon attributes like in the original Jaykin Bacon, but instead of via text file editing, using the console. Here is a video demonstrating this using the shotgun ricochet attribute.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEgRb57Qzsk

Dr. Derek fucked around with this message at 22:20 on May 19, 2012

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.
The above video basically encapsulates everything about jaykin bacon.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Oh my god, I could easy see that being abused to melt some servers.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Dr. Derek posted:

it was mentioned that one of the goals of development was the ability to modify weapon attributes like in the original Jaykin Bacon, but instead of via text file editing, using the console. Here is a video demonstrating this using the shotgun ricochet attribute.

I have no idea what I just saw. But if this is anything like Jaykin Bacon, I am very excited.

Cow Tippin Sloth
Jan 4, 2010

notZaar posted:

Oh my god, I could easy see that being abused to melt some servers.

im assuming only admins will be able to edit the gun behaviors

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
So, apparently it's possible to get a headshot with a fart...

damn chimera
Jan 31, 2007

EMERGENCY
EMERGENCY
EMERGENCY
I'm pretty sure it's possible to get a headshot with almost everything

Cow Tippin Sloth posted:

im assuming only admins will be able to edit the gun behaviors

Yes that makes sense!!

Syllables
Jul 2, 2011

XOF XOF XOF

:fag:

Semisponge posted:

You can kill anything with a well-placed fart if I recall correctly.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Semisponge posted:

It's comments like these that let me know this mod's in good hands.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

Please tell me they are planning on bringing back the entirely superflous MGS style health bar.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Who's doing the voice of David Hayter? Why is there so much MGS stuff in this? Is it possible to fart while inside a stealth box? Which gun attributes will you allow people to customise? Why does Dr. Kleiner want to peel us apart?

I've so many questions, and yet I know I'm downloading this on day one.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
All those questions can be answered by remembering that the original Jaykin Bacon was made by one guy as a sort of video game gumbo, taking models and levels and ideas from other mods and games and putting it all together. I think all those sound bytes are by Podunkian.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
It's stuff like this that makes me remember why I loved GoldSrc so much. There were so many crazy mods and people were genuinely interested in creating new, fun things whereas now in Source it seems like all the mods are either super serious, if they ever get made at all. The only thing comparable I can think of is S-Mod and Elevator: Source

It seems like the move to source pretty much killed off most of the modding community, or they just started playing Garry's mod instead.

Mr. Podunkian
Feb 28, 2005

welcome to murder city, i'm the mayor

Cromlech posted:

Does Podunkian have any role in this mod's development or not?

I haven't really had any role in the mod's development, but the team was awesome enough to let me take part in their playtests from really, really early on (though with my ~real vidja games jorb~, I'd been a little too busy to actually take them on). There's a lot of really cool and fun stuff in the mod, and it's cool to see the IDGAF mentality to weapon balance here in full force. The team for HL3JKS basically took all of my restraint against zany, mega-explosive weapons and threw it out the door, for better or for worse.

The original mod was really my first foray into working with C++, and the mod just grew organically from messing around, implementing cool things from games I enjoyed. That's also around when I had my first taste of the MGS series with Snake Eater, and welp, let's just say I really enjoyed the series.

jimbomcb
Oct 4, 2011

Mr. Podunkian posted:

I haven't really had any role in the mod's development, but the team was awesome enough to let me take part in their playtests from really, really early on (though with my ~real vidja games jorb~, I'd been a little too busy to actually take them on). There's a lot of really cool and fun stuff in the mod, and it's cool to see the IDGAF mentality to weapon balance here in full force. The team for HL3JKS basically took all of my restraint against zany, mega-explosive weapons and threw it out the door, for better or for worse.

The original mod was really my first foray into working with C++, and the mod just grew organically from messing around, implementing cool things from games I enjoyed. That's also around when I had my first taste of the MGS series with Snake Eater, and welp, let's just say I really enjoyed the series.

I wouldn't go as far as to say we've dropped all of your restraint about the crazy mega-explosive stuff, we do intend for it to be at least remotely balanced, it's just about striking the balance so it's as fun as possible whilst also being ridiculous in most ways.

The stage you seen it at was with nearly exclusively ridiculous overpowered weapons, it did feel a bit different in my opinion to as it does at the minute (and will feel once we tweak stuff here and there and add the rest of the weapons we're meaning to add). That and the server options to limit it to the more "normal" weapons will be there if people really don't like the crazy weapons. We absolutely took what you said on board and it did help with direction, we're trying to keep it as enjoyable as possible for people who liked the original while adding our own spin on things.

Also here's hoping I'll end up with a ~real vidja games jorb~ in however many years like yourself, this is pretty much my first foray into C++, following in your footsteps and all that.

jimbomcb fucked around with this message at 20:13 on May 20, 2012

Repelex
Jun 25, 2010

ketchum while they're young
I remember playing the original, and cracking up at literally everything. The sooner I get to play this the better! The MGS box was proably my favourite part of the whole mod, or maybe the hand-gun.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
By the way Podunkian, since you're reading this, I just want you to know that I'll remember what "I'll pee in your butthole" sounds like in your voice until the day I die.

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
I'm streaming some SVT http://www.justin.tv/semisponge

EDIT:not streaming any more but if you really care and have no life you can watch me be loving terrible at video games here I GUESS

Semisponge fucked around with this message at 22:26 on May 20, 2012

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
Oh wow, I loved the HL1 mod so drat much. TWO FER! Pretty excited about this.

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
http://www.justin.tv/semisponge streaming again also I forgot I had to crouch while in the box because I"m a dumb idiot bad at video games

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /

Dr. Derek posted:

Why is this not every video game?

edit: Quoted wrong.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
By far my favourite hl2jks feature was the announcer saying HACKER for every headshot. So simple, yet so genius. Please tell me that this, at least, survives to the new version.

Batmarde
Oct 5, 2010

Bawk! Bawk !

Popehoist posted:

By far my favourite hl2jks feature was the announcer saying HACKER for every headshot. So simple, yet so genius. Please tell me that this, at least, survives to the new version.

It's in there

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

I'm fine. Why do you ask?
I was first angry about the title of the thread. Then I saw what this is all about and I am very, very happy. I only regret that I never was aware of the original until now.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
My friends showed me the original last year, we played it once maybe and then didn't again, I think the big problem was we couldn't find any servers and had a hard time hosting ourselves. Hopefully this'll get more play time out of me and my buddies.

if I knew how to texture 3d models I'd totally help out. :(

Dr. Derek
Jan 1, 2010

http://www.moddb.com/mods/jaykin-bacon-episode-three/news/jaykin-bacon-episode-3-media-update-1
Media Update

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
For SvT, does the handgun have more range then the knife? Otherwise it seems kind of pointless. I'm only saying this because SvT seems like it's supposed to be played more seriously than DM or Battle Royale.

Dr. Derek
Jan 1, 2010

notZaar posted:

For SvT, does the handgun have more range then the knife? Otherwise it seems kind of pointless. I'm only saying this because SvT seems like it's supposed to be played more seriously than DM or Battle Royale.

Yes, it has farther range than the knife. Honestly it's just fun to get people with it.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Still no dubstep gun model :(

KaiserPanda
Jan 24, 2008
http://steamcommunity.com/id/KaiserPanda
gimme that sweet beta access.

kevb0
Jan 10, 2005

We don't want no mooncheese babies

ModDB News post posted:

If you're actually reading this and from something awful, post a link to your steam profile in the something awful thread, first 20 to do so get into the beta
gently caress yes.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/kevb0

kevb0 fucked around with this message at 12:57 on May 25, 2012

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Kikka

So in for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004