Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die

CJacobs posted:

That said, pawns can be pretty goddamn stupid re: things like bottomless/leech-water pits no matter what their traits. Also, get ready to hear IT FEARS FIRE :byodood: a lot.

I hope everyone has changed their pawn's speech rate.. to maximum :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
So if I remember this game right, if you want to min/max and sperg out, you have to plan carefully from the beginning. I'm thinking about doing MK, so how should I plan out my character? I know they use a weird mix of magic and strength so I don't know exactly what I should do. Presumably start as a mage and then change to assassin or something asap. I have no idea how people usually do this, it's been a couple years since I last played.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Thumbtacks posted:

So if I remember this game right, if you want to min/max and sperg out, you have to plan carefully from the beginning. I'm thinking about doing MK, so how should I plan out my character? I know they use a weird mix of magic and strength so I don't know exactly what I should do. Presumably start as a mage and then change to assassin or something asap. I have no idea how people usually do this, it's been a couple years since I last played.

Optimal Magic Knight damage you'd be a sorcerer from level 10 to 100. However, don't bother unless you're on valium because it will increase your damage by like 8% or something and leveling will take way longer, when just the Sorcerer and Mage magic power augments equal 30% iirc.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Count Uvula posted:

Optimal Magic Knight damage you'd be a sorcerer from level 10 to 100. However, don't bother unless you're on valium because it will increase your damage by like 8% or something and leveling will take way longer, when just the Sorcerer and Mage magic power augments equal 30% iirc.

So should I start as a fighter then? I enjoy all of the base classes, I just want someone to tell me what to do so I don't accidentally gently caress up somehow.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I never played a MK for long but for virtutally every other class it doesn't really matter much, you can hypersperg out or just play regularly and achieve the same result.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jun 14, 2015

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The only way your class choice would make a difference you'd actually notice was if you did something like play assassin to level 100 and then suddenly switch to sorcerer. Almost everything else isn't that polarized and the differences you'll get from switching classes won't mean much.

What's far more important than stats is augments. I always level fighter to 5 and strider to 9 for their awesome weight augments. (If you'll be using a class with a shield then getting fighter to 7 for easier blocking is good too)

I'd like to try dark arisen but the nerf to autonomy has made it a tough sell for me. Pawns are incredibly obnoxious and I really enjoyed being able to see some of the game's details and atmosphere without some jackass constantly saying useless poo poo and running in front of the camera. Seriously, some quirk of their AI makes some pawns actually try to stay somewhere in the camera view at all times, so if you rotate the camera around they will always move to get in the way. I don't think it has to do with their inclinations but some pawns do it and others don't.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I'd like to try dark arisen but the nerf to autonomy has made it a tough sell for me. Pawns are incredibly obnoxious and I really enjoyed being able to see some of the game's details and atmosphere without some jackass constantly saying useless poo poo and running in front of the camera. Seriously, some quirk of their AI makes some pawns actually try to stay somewhere in the camera view at all times, so if you rotate the camera around they will always move to get in the way. I don't think it has to do with their inclinations but some pawns do it and others don't.

This game is still perfectly playable solo even without the old ridiculous autonomy. I did it as a fighter even, with no ranged attacks, and had a blast. And the new DA content is fantastic.

Col. Roy Campbell
Dec 19, 2008

Yeah, I'm just now soloing as an assassin and it's crazy fun. It even makes the game feel dangerous again.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Dark Arisen is really good and you should get it. You really don't need autonomy to be effective on your own.

Also why don't you make your own pawn good, tweak their speech rate/inclinations and play with them?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Vargs posted:

This game is still perfectly playable solo even without the old ridiculous autonomy. I did it as a fighter even, with no ranged attacks, and had a blast. And the new DA content is fantastic.

I always assumed the base classes were somehow inferior to the hybrid ones. Is that not true? It seems like a fighter is more of a tank than anything else, but I could be completely wrong. I really like good sword/shield combat.

Col. Roy Campbell
Dec 19, 2008

Thumbtacks posted:

I always assumed the base classes were somehow inferior to the hybrid ones. Is that not true? It seems like a fighter is more of a tank than anything else, but I could be completely wrong. I really like good sword/shield combat.

They all have their little things. Fighter is the tankiest class, Strider has cool support skills like Implicate, and the Mage is the only one who gets healing spells. If any class is a bit crap it's the mage but that's because both the pure-magic classes are super boring (but kind of necessary to level through a bit to be a good Magick Archer or Mystic Knight).

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.

Thumbtacks posted:

Fighter has one of the most damaging moves that you can spam in the entire game hth, it is a full area combo around him that on level parity with average gear will probably murder everything and kill trolls in a couple hits, one if they're knocked down and you can do it to their head (hint: can also be used on their legs to knock them down!)

It's semi-limited in terms of options and it doesn't have some of the more ridiculous gimmick shots like Magic Knight, but Fighter is one of the solidest classes in the game and does huge amounts of damage. Way better than junk like Warrior and their only-getting-three-skills idiocy. I played through as Fighter first time I actually beat the game and he made everything a complete joke.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
So how do people usually deal with augments or whatever? Do you just pick a class and get it to 9 and then move on, or do you have ones that you suggest grabbing first?

This is frustrating because I used to know this.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
the fighter one that reduces your encumbrance by one stage is a godsend no matter what. for the rest it kinda depends on what class you wanna use.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Lexorin posted:

It's the pips below the health bar that matter. The counter spam combo is taking off multiple pips of life. The normal sword swing orbs are only taking off partial health from a single pip of life. It really does do an idiotic amount of damage.

I just rewatched the video and you are incorrect/correct. His sword hitting the orbs does way more damage than the counter. However, at the moment where the framerate goes to poo poo, he's getting off like 4 or 5 counters in a row which adds up to tons of free damage. But for the rest of the fight, most dps is from him smacking the orbs.

Also seconding that i miss this game. Especially mystic archer, I went through playing at night once to try out the giant ball of light and it was great rolling through the woods getting ambushed and replying with a miniature sun.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Thumbtacks posted:

So how do people usually deal with augments or whatever? Do you just pick a class and get it to 9 and then move on, or do you have ones that you suggest grabbing first?

This is frustrating because I used to know this.

There are definitely augments in most vocations that are cornerstones of great builds and a few that are just invaluable all-around. You'll have to look that up yourself or maybe you can get some build help ITT, but everyone knows that fully maxing out vocations, especially ones you don't give two shits about, is dumb and slow work. So, here is the generally accepted strategy to get as many discipline points, vocation levels, and unlocked augments as possible while keeping wasted levels to a minimum:

-If you have DA, consider grabbing Asura Armor and a Ring of Perseverence or two.
-Get to the post-game where you're reporting to the Duke after the city has gotten a nice big hole punched into it, afterwards you should be attacked every time you're in the neighborhood.
-Pick your vocation and equip Asura's Armor and Rings if you have them. Make sure your pawns are ready for protracted fighting; these enemies aren't exactly tough, but they'll probably be on their own without adult supervision for a while.
-Hop your rear end up onto the wall near the church once you've attracted hostile attention.
-Your pawns will now be engaging in combat while you sit safely out of harm's way (unless you have a Mage or Sorc with Frigor, in which case they may propel an enemy onto your camping spot on accident), collecting marginal amounts of EXP but a goodly chunk of DCP (vocational experience).
-You can go AFK or provide ranged support as you like. With the previously mentioned items, vocation leveling will go very quickly so it might be fun to get into the mix or collect loot or whatever. Otherwise, you might want to just listen to a podcast or something and occasionally check in.

You mentioned you used to know all this, but pretty please post if you want to know anything else. I love this game and these days there isn't a lot of fresh opportunity to talk about it.

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die
^^ To add to that, by far the most efficient way to do that is to have a pawn with high miasma since the enemies are super weak. Having a resurrection stone in your inventory will save you potential grief too.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
every loving quest i'm on wants me to kill goddamn ogres and my pawns and dumb assholes and i can't loving move around in this stupid mine gently caress ogres

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Thumbtacks posted:

every loving quest i'm on wants me to kill goddamn ogres and my pawns and dumb assholes and i can't loving move around in this stupid mine gently caress ogres

Try explosive barrels.

There's one ogre that's crouched next to three, and i threw one more at him and it instantly killed him. I died too though and couldn't recreate the effect sadly.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Thumbtacks posted:

Don't hire any female Mages, Sorcerers, or Rangers. Ogres will speed up their attacks and make a beeline for them and those aren't the bee-friendly vocations. DO hire a single female Fighter or Strider whose owner made the wise decision to not equip them with a bow. They will tank/stun the preoccupied ogres while your manly muscle wizards unleash hell mostly unmolested.

If all else fails, just go Ranger and invest in Six/Tenfold Flurry and a big bucket of Blast Arrows. Also, Ogres are weak to fire.

dPB
Aug 2, 2006
Captain Awesome
I liked playing as sorcerer, that feeling when a boss approaches you as you're casting a spell and just before the boss can hit you it's smashed in the face by ice/meteors/maelstrom is awesome.

Don't get me wrong, setting yourself on fire then climbing up a monster is fun as well but sometimes I just want bring the heavens down.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
yeah this game has some of the best spell effects ever, they're great.

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004

Inflammatory posted:

yeah this game has some of the best spell effects ever, they're great.

Also has the best title music.

Seriously, when are they going to put this on PC? There is no way I'm going back to the chugging framerate on the ps3. The game is so good though, I beat it three times.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

CountingWizard posted:

Also has the best title music.

RIP Dragon's Dogma OP.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Is it still possible to kill the online Ur-Dragon anymore? I used to have the full Abyssinal set (I lost my save from years ago) and I'd like to get it back, at least for posterity's sake.

I assume they reset it every so often, otherwise it should be on like it's millionth cycle.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
About a year ago i fought it for like a half an hour and didn't even seem to move its health bar.

Granted I didn't have any of the OP expansion equipment yet at the time.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Thumbtacks posted:

Is it still possible to kill the online Ur-Dragon anymore? I used to have the full Abyssinal set (I lost my save from years ago) and I'd like to get it back, at least for posterity's sake.

I assume they reset it every so often, otherwise it should be on like it's millionth cycle.

One of the DD hobby threads (not this one for some reason :iiam:) keeps track of when Online Ur-Dragon goes into its "grace period", when it is possible to actually kill it across a couple of tries. Bear in mind the fucker is tippy-top tier as far as needing to be fully equipped and relatively min-maxed. Even at lvl170 with ~mostly~ DF'd and otherwise Rareified gear, I was hardly even damaging it during grace period, as far as I could tell.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Gamefaqs has threads for tracking the Ur-dragon, or at least it did back when I cared enough to farm it.

Getting an Ur-dragon kill is mostly about stacking damage perks and periapts and using a holy weapon.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

argondamn posted:

Gamefaqs has threads for tracking the Ur-dragon, or at least it did back when I cared enough to farm it.

This. It took a couple weeks until one went into the grace period when I could actually be at home to fight it. Ranger with maxed gear, full consumables and blast arrows along with the arrow that kills one heart instantly. I just *barely* managed to pull it out. Do not mess around with online lizards.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
So at this point, that should basically be the last thing I do? Darn, I love that set.

At least I can keep it for NG+

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
At this point you'll probably have to do NG+ twice before you're a high enough level to make a dent in it.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Sorcerers are fun. BBI isn't particularly difficult with one since I've usually got enough room to get casts off. Ideally I'd like to gear up and then do Hard Mode.

Is BBI gear completely random, or are there guaranteed drops? Am I just gonna have to farm/purify level 3s?

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

The kind of armor/weapon you get from purifying equipment in BBI depends on the type of your class and your pawn's class. If you save before you purify and end up with something you already have, you can re-load and change your class and your pawn's class to get something different. Basically, fighter/warrior get you swords/shields, strider/ranger will get you bows/daggers, and magic will you get you staves and magic bows. Hybrid classes are weird and I don't remember the rules for what you get as them.

Other than that, it's pretty much random.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
So if I get rid of my other pawns and change my pawn to a sorc i'm guaranteed magic weapons? That's handy.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Thumbtacks posted:

Sorcerers are fun. BBI isn't particularly difficult with one since I've usually got enough room to get casts off. Ideally I'd like to gear up and then do Hard Mode.

Is BBI gear completely random, or are there guaranteed drops? Am I just gonna have to farm/purify level 3s?

Like argondamn said, it's pretty much random so far as BBI Novelties and the actual chests go (there's loot lists which you might check out for each individual chest, but grinding one chest over and over is boring Everfall-style grinding and to hell with that). Purifying gear is heavily weighted by your + your pawn's vocation. Being a hybrid vocation will split the chances of drawing between two colors' loot lists (eg. purifying things as a Mystic Knight will draw either from the Blue casting pool and the Red fighter pool), but won't necessarily increase the likelihood of getting that hybrid vocation's good gear. For example, just being a Mystic Knight won't make it more likely to get Mystic Knight's lvl.3 spell rings from BBI Gears.

Two important things to keep in mind:
1. You actually cannot just reload for a different result; each time you pick up a cursed weapon or armor, it has a fixed Red, Yellow, and Blue outcome. If you really hate your Red result, for instance, reloading and re-purifying as a red class won't change what you get. What WILL alter the outcome is changing you+your pawn's class to a different color and getting its Blue or Yellow result instead.
2. As far as I remember, Hybrid class weapons and rings are tied to a single color. Assassin and Mystic Knight gear draws from the Red list. Magick Archer gear draws from the Yellow list. Blue is just Mages and Sorcerers all the way down.

Finally, the only really fixed chests are the moongem ones and, to an extent, the ones right after Daimon. Save before popping the Daimon chests because there's a small chance of getting shafted with some rift crystals instead of rare lvl.3 goods.

im cute fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jun 18, 2015

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
BBI is huge, what the hell.

Alright I'm in the Tower of Treasons Repaid. I think there are like five(?) zones left. I know there's another safe zone. Does that have a shortcut or am I just gonna have to make this run if I decide to leave and come back?

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Thumbtacks posted:

BBI is huge, what the hell.

Alright I'm in the Tower of Treasons Repaid. I think there are like five(?) zones left. I know there's another safe zone. Does that have a shortcut or am I just gonna have to make this run if I decide to leave and come back?

There are seven(!) zones left, and they're going to get harder until the penultimate one. There's a rest stop and final shortcut after Forsaken Cathedral, which is next. After that is two more zones, a final shortcut-less safe zone, then one last difficult area with some fun guaranteed encounters. After that is a "boss" fight and then the Fallen City which, if this is your first time through, then it's depopulated and full of loot so go nuts. Then it's actual boss time, so be sure to hit the rift stone outside the gigantic BOSS INSIDE, CONSIDER SAVING doors leading to him.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
-snip-

Thumbtacks fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Jun 18, 2015

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
hi more dumb questions

i was checking the wiki and noticed some weapons are rewarded for killing the online ur-dragon, but that you don't have to provide the killing blow.

...how exactly does that work? You hit him a bit and when he finally dies (weeks later) you just get the equipment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Thumbtacks posted:

So if I get rid of my other pawns and change my pawn to a sorc i'm guaranteed magic weapons? That's handy.

other pawns don't work into the equation, just your own.

Thumbtacks posted:

hi more dumb questions

i was checking the wiki and noticed some weapons are rewarded for killing the online ur-dragon, but that you don't have to provide the killing blow.

...how exactly does that work? You hit him a bit and when he finally dies (weeks later) you just get the equipment?

yup, you just need to do damage and survive for 10 minutes. the next time you visit him after he dies there's a pile of loot for you.

Rubellavator fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jun 18, 2015

• Locked thread