Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

losonti tokash posted:

Capcom didn't pay for good reviews. That will basically explain why any good game doesn't get the reviews it deserves while mediocre stuff like every Bethesda game ever will get 10/10 goty forever.

Are you loving stoned, you are talking about Capcom here

They're only slightly more scrupulous than Activision when it comes to franchises and marketing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Renoistic posted:

BBFs forever :unsmith:

It's a dog's life, Geralt, I'll tell you that much.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
How long do you think it'll take before the online aspect of this falls off a cliff? I don't think it'll have the same staying power or looney-tunes dedicated fanbase of Dark Souls (he said with like 9 pages of posts in the DS thread), so I'm wondering how long it can hang on.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Think I asked this before but no one answered - is the multiplayer, such as it is, for this winding down already? Or is it even possible to tell, given the way the multiplayer works?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
So all of a sudden this became $40 on Amazon, if anyone was on the fence.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
So I just escaped from the Everfall after my first visit there. What exactly should I do now? Just beeline for the Duke's castle, or try to putz around with sidequests?

The game world's so generic that I have zero investment in it, so a little direction would help me press forward.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I just finished this. It's not often I play something that's so wildly loopy in quality. Completely unremarkable fantasy setting, horrible backtracking, very little energy to the story and pain-in-the-rear end item management on one hand. On the other, pretty good combat, some spectacular boss fights, and the plot actually makes a semi-successful attempt to be clever in the final stretch. Overall I don't regret the purchase, and I might replay it if only so I can pick up the bunch of really involved and story-heavy quests I lost forever in the first two hours seriously who the gently caress does that

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

drunk asian neighbor posted:

So having just borrowed this game from a friend as a break from Borderlands 2, my first question is: what stops me from summoning 2 pawns from my friend list that are a good 40-50 levels higher than my character? Wouldn't that make everything a whole mess easier?

Prohibitively expensive RC costs would be my guess.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Awesome, you guys pretty much confirmed this is my dream sandbox RPG.

Don't be too excited, because the game world is a hundred square miles of grassy-hilled gently caress-all for the most part and only becomes interesting/dynamic when you take the related quests (because they make things happen). Exploration isn't really its watchword.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Blackray Jack posted:

Uhh guys? I've finally been making excursions into the country side and right now I'm in Devilfire Grove and I found the dragon taking a leisurely stroll. I'm engaging it but does this mean I can kill it or will it fly off once I do a set amount of damage?

Different dragon. The capital-D Dragon is the size of a small village and at your level could probably kill you with a thought. The ones wandering around wild are still brutal fighters with a huge aggro range and will probably cook you crispy if you try engaging them now.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Okay, i'm hyped. Those are some really cool new monsters.

Of course it's just a trailer, but I spent that whole thing waiting for the Arisen and the Chosen Undead to brush shoulders as they ran away from two totally different abominations from two opposite directions.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Suitable DLC would have just been paying 10 bucks to populate the world with 10 new monster types. As long as they were good and all-new that would have been awesome.

Okay, hear me out - we find a peaceful, innocent fishing village about 5,000 years in the past, populate it with straw dummies covered in dragon treats, and when the Dragon and Kalameet show up, we drop a giant magic iron cage over the whole shebang and sell tickets.

We'll make a loving mint.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Nahxela posted:

Fire works well, master.

You just know that Siegmeyer would get into a six-hour conversation with a Pawn and find every minute of it incredibly engrossing.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ninjahedgehog posted:

Unless your gigantic fuckoff anime sword is six feet long. :black101:

Warrior's skill limitations were a loving pain in the rear end but man, that class could be cathartic at times.

I wish I could've commissioned an in-game artist to paint a tasteful little still-life on my blade or something. That way, at least the last thing my enemies saw would be beautiful.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Thundarr posted:

I wasn't expecting to be ambushed by the goddamned dragon during my hour long trek to the far side of the continent. Seriously, that guy is a dick. At least the griffon I ran into on the way flew off with an npc guard instead of somebody important.

Thanks for the EQ1 flashbacks, Capcom. I guess.

That was a goddamned dragon, not the goddamned Dragon. That thing's still a dick, though.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Thundarr posted:

Oh. Well, I don't think it gave a drat about the two or three attacks that landed before I ran the hell away, so it may as well have been. :v:

Also, I've got about 17,000 RC right now. Since I have not been hiring pawns above my level, I've pretty much never spent any. Would I be kicking myself later if I dropped 5,000 on an Art of Metamorphosis to fix a few minor nuisances (like my pawn's voice :byodame:)? Haven't seen many useful things to equip, my pawn's behavior is already pretty much how I want it to be, and I'm not interested in crazy hair dye for now.

You can change your pawn's voice for 3,000 gold at the Gran Soren barbershop, so if that's all that really concerns you then you don't need to drop the RC.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
What's a good starting level for Bitterblack? I just hit the Everfall in my game, in the high fifties. I also specced Assassin for pretty much the whole duration so I'm a glass cannon like whoa, but I'm ok with that.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
The Eternal Ferrystone was a loving godsend. Say all you want about the "appeal" of walking everywhere, after my vanilla DD game I never wanted to see that harpy canyon again.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Soonmot posted:

I just changed to an assassin from strider. I wanted to stick with dual daggers, should I go to sword and board instead? I haven't been using any consumables except healing potions, guess that's going to change too!

I keep all four on me, just in case. Daggers have definitely served me better for Assassin, though Gouge is a great skill for bringing down bigger critters.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I'm satisfied with Bitterblack Isle so far (I thought I was hot poo poo at level 75 and then comes along a Cursed Dragon to humble me again), but the sheer number of copy-pasted rooms in this place is bumming me. The Everfall was sort of understandable because that place is a glorified loot grind, but Bitterblack's got, what, three or four room templates total? It's undermining the Dark Souls feel.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Thundarr posted:

The end boss sequence was legitimately badass. It helped that two of my favorite spells turned out to be what it is actually weak against, so that probably shaved a hell of a lot of time off the fight itself. Not sure how I feel about the forced romance unless you specifically never raise anyone to max affinity, though. Let's just say that got creepy and I'm glad I didn't get hooked up with Fournival or something. :gonk:

And if I understand this right, this is the funniest way of beginning a new game+ that I've seen in a long time.

I'm no raving Dragon's Dogma fanboy but I truly love how it whipsaws from "generic fantasy" to "heavy metal album cover" in the final act.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Man, Death is a chump if you've got 100% Sleep resistance. Takes forever to whittle him down, but an Assassin with Bloodlust and Autonomy can wreck him even without top-tier weaponry.

On the other hand, the twin Condemned Gorecyclops in the Chamber of Fate hahahahahaha gently caress YOU.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Somehow a Cursed Dragon spawned in the Midnight Helix and woke up the Gorecyclops sleeping there. I did what any wise man would do - let those fuckers settle things amongst themselves.

The Gorecyclops won by a mile. Kind of sad, really.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
First Living Armor fight was hilarious for me. I didn't notice its armor breaking, so I just thought its Defense skyrocketed after it lost half its health or so. After plinking at it for a while, my Pawn cast High Maelstrom, which meant I had to bug out because the Armor just deflected everything while the tornado was spinning. Then my Pawn cast it again, which started to piss me off, because the drat spell wasn't doing any damage and the Armor still had three bars to go.

The tornado clears.

The Armor is gone.

A split-second later, it falls out of the sky and goes SPLAT at my feet. All three bars vanish.

Good job, Pawn.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Finally beat the Daimon redux. Now I'm putting this game away because like hell I am loot-grinding just to grind loot, that nonsense is for Monster Hunter fans.

Dark Arisen was a great addition, despite the copy/pasted architecture. It's too bad the vanilla game only picks up right at the end.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Thundarr posted:

I could never even touch Gazer until I got down on the ground floor where the game decided that I actually had a valid angle on his eye. I have no idea how people would even begin to fight him with Throwblasts since you can't even aim those, just kinda heave them a few feet in front of you.

The cursed dragon guarding that void key can be run from, but you can also cheese it to death by running upstairs into the gallery. It will fly up in the air and hover for a very long time before breathing, giving you an easy shot at it's heart. This method will take a long as time though since when you hit it it is likely to fall to the floor and have to fly back up again, every time.

My Assassin leapt off the balcony and straight into the Gazer's hideous maw to stab the exposed eyeball over and over and over again. Maniacal laughter optional, but encouraged.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Captain Novolin posted:

That room has like 3 corrupted pawns with high maelstrom. I died to one, used a wakestone, then as I was getting up I got hit by a second one. gently caress that room.

Yeah, I just charge right through that area every time. It's a slaughtering pen, and I'm positive it was intended as such, since the Lich that spawns in the opening hallways immediately summons enough cannon-fodder undead to trigger the Garms just as you hit the Gorecyclops room.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

goethe gear xx posted:

Just started playing this a few days ago and it's fun but now I'm kind of having my indecision regarding character classes kick in as it always does. Character level is in the teens, with the time being spent as either a Strider or Fighter. Now thinking of going Assassin in a while, but also tempted to try Magick Archer. Simply put I'm seeing too many attractive options.

Is there a helpful mindset to approach levelling with? And how easy is it to end up with a gimped character by swapping classes too much?

If you want to go Magick Archer or Mystic Knight you'll need to spend some time in the Mage classes, because most of their damage comes from the Magic stat. Beyond that, I don't think it's that easy to screw yourself over, since most of the classes take care of themselves - the Assassin class has horrible defense growth, for example, but also comes with two insta-counter moves that nearly one-shot anything without six health bars.

You'll want to put some ranks into Fighter to gain the Augment that lets you carry more weight, though, it's super helpful.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Thundarr posted:

I have cleared pretty much every quest (other than the Unseen Rivals one that I locked myself out of before I knew I could lock myself out of it). But that loving macabre sculpture in Fortress of Remembrance is making me strongly consider not bothering to get all of them. Whenever I do manage to grab a succubus, I just heave them over my shoulder rather than hanging on and letting them fly.

Did you try to grab one while jumping?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Thundarr posted:

I missed that portcrystal my first time through because I didn't realize that's what it was when I got there. :downs:

Anybody else think that the awoken Daimon is a bit disappointing? The first form is this angry, winged wrecking ball that hurtles around the room throwing megaton punches while casually multi-casting spells. The second form just kinda hovers there and throws attacks at you until you kill him or he kills you. Also it tends to get stuck in the entryway and give you a cheap win.

At this point I don't think I'm going to stick around farming armor, so I'm putting the game to bed. It was a pretty good ride. I've got a pile of BBI level 2 weapons and can gift practically any material, so shout out if you need something.

I like the contrast, myself. Daimon 1 is highly mobile and uses magic mostly as a distraction from its devastating melee, whereas Daimon 2 is limp, mostly stationary, and barely moves when casting - but almost anything it touches just dies. It does a nice job of illustrating how this isn't really Daimon anymore, but some Other that's just commandeering the corpse for a laugh.

• Locked thread