Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Could someone give me a hint on fighting the giant under the pawn guild? I climb up to his neck and start stabbing and his health bar barely budges. I'm using stilettos and spent 14 levels as a Fighter so I should have a fair attack power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Killsion posted:

So I'm doing a new game and I'm going to aim for Assassin with a support mage main pawn. I've noticed people just have no idea how to make a good support pawn, thus why I'm making one.

Oh god yes. Most of the fighters I find in the Rift haven't even had their skills set, they're just rolling with their default two abilities.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I want to do the board mission to kill undead in the quarry, but I've already cleared it out and nothing seems to be spawning. Am I screwed on this?
(want to get war bugles to turn in for another mission)

Also are any of the ammo types worth it? In the course of unloading 100 oil arrows into a cyclops it caught fire maybe three times, and I've never seen an enemy become poisoned.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Fonzarelli posted:

My pawn never gets hired because i thought it'd be cool to have an old man wizard adventuring with me. Basically the opposite of a little girl :(

I always hire old man fighters/warriors. They look awesome.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

If you clear out the quarry for the merchant sitting outside he sets up shop in there. Sold me a nice White Hawk sword.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Does Dexterity from Strider (the climb fast augment) work if you're a sword-wielding assassin?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

RME posted:

I just did the quest to reclaim shadow fort
As the Goblin Chief ran away, I tried following after him and jumped out the window, but I was a little slow in doing it, does anyone know if it's possible to kill him if you act quick enough?

The fall killed him for me. Got a little cutscene-thing of him dying.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Everytime I head through the Gran Soren marketplace my main pawn picks up a Coin Pouch. I think she's a pickpocket. :(

It does pay for the inn though.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jun 10, 2012

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Count Uvula posted:

Using a rift stone let's you release pawns, though if you hire a 4th pawn you'll just be given a choice of which of your current ones to replace. It lets you rate and send items back to their maker :)

If your pawns point out an enemy, you can press up on the d-pad to get them to start a fight without you going in first. It's hard to tell which inclinations are good, but guardian is the only one you definitively do not want.

I just hired some Rangers to help me with the griffin.

WHY ARE THERE RANGERS WITH MEDICANT AND GUARDIAN INCLINATIONS?

Why are there so many?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Robo Reagan posted:

Pawns are terrible enough that I'm tempted to just drop them in a few levels. Spend the money I was going to spend on gear upgrades for my main pawn on some healing items instead. Between Rook blindly charging in to bandits at low levels even though I kept spamming Come and having all three wiped out by a single boulder on a high cliff, they just don't seem worth the effort except for a healing button.

e:Not to mention storming the hobgoblin keep in A Fortress Besieged by myself was seriously some of the most fun I've had in a game in awhile.

If you do this get to Rank 9 Assassin. There's an augment which gives you a big bonus to strength/defence if you have no pawns.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

A BLACK PRESIDENT posted:

If you are a sorcerer, the best way to keep a griffin grounded is to cast Comestion/High Comestion on him as soon as he lands(It tends to burn his wings, rendering him incapable of flight). Otherwise, if you aren't, then Flask of Oil/Burst Arrow(If you're a bow user) or Dragon's Spit/Throwblast tends to do the same thing

Fire Affinity on the bow works just fine. Remember to aim for the wings.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

DrNutt posted:

Whoa, you can kill him? I didn't interfere because Mercedes asked me not to. Mercedes went back home and Julien just sort of disappeared from the rest of the game for me. Man, new game + is going to be so weird.

Wait, Mercedes survives if you do nothing? After she took a mace to the face a few times without managing to strike back I shot Julien in the back. With 20 poisoned arrows, because why do things halfway?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Fonzarelli posted:

So what combination of inclinations will make my Sorceror pawn cast huge spells at big bad guys and also buff my weapon when i ask?

Scather / Utilitarian would be my guess (possibly Utilitarian / Scather).

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

DO I need pawns for the four-pressure-pad room in the Dragon's Domain? I've been rolling solo and I'm stuck there.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Stelas posted:

The 'Find Quina in the Witchwood' quest most people have been missing is accessible immediately after you first take the first guy (Rook?) to the Encampment. If you turn around and head back towards Cassardis, you'll get collared right outside the Encampment gate and told about it.

But most people probably won't find the witchwood until after they've been to Gran Soren.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Bakalakadaka posted:

No those accents are the worst thing you monster.

Mercedes' voice is the hottest thing since nuclear fusion.

Pity she turns all "Waah I'm completely useless" later in the game

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

likecnsnnts posted:

Mercedes, I tried to add you after all that wonderful advertising you did of your pawn last page, but your friends list is full. :colbert:

edit: vvvvv She was probably on her way back to Gransys when post-game happened and said, "Merde that noise, I'm a lovely knight. I'm staying le home."

I'd given her a ton of booze so she showed up at the Dragon's Domain. Now she hangs around my house complaining about how useless she is.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

sicDaniel posted:

I was really irritated by that quest, during the first encounter with the Griffing I already almost killed him and the quest-givers told me "The beast is wounded and cannot be far, let's chase it!" And then the Griffing is at the other side of the planet, fully healed.

As the griffin flies it's a pretty short distance.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I really wish the Rift let you search by inclination.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

TehGherkin posted:

Haha, yes it was :3: Tell her I said thanks for the feedback and the friend request, I will definitely get round to using her pawn at some point, I'm just at that point in the game where I'm starting to have actual okay items to gift sometimes, so I'll take her pawn on for a couple good quests then give him/her something cool. It's strange you should say he climbs on cyclops and such, I've never once seen him do that, although to be fair I'm the strider so I'm usually climbing up on poo poo myself.

That's probably why he's climbing everything in sight. Pawns ape their masters, so if you climb monsters a lot then he's going to do that himself when given the opportunity.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Almost certainly Great Gamble on the ranger.

Incidentally, if anybody has not personally used that skill before, you need to switch to ranger right now and rank it to 9 for that skill because it's one of the most amazing things in the game. I've one-shotted a gorechimera with it. And unlike that loving magick archer skill it doesn't use pawns as ammunition, it just eats all your stamina which you can deal with by getting Grit from strider or eating a stamina item.

Does Liquid Vim work?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is there a way to get items out of storage in postgame Gran Soren?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'm noted for snatching nuts out of my pawns inventories the moment I notice them. I need my Matured Greenwarish.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

crazkylo posted:

Do stat boost augments stack Like +10% Strength and +20% Strength, or will it only take the value of the higher one?

They better than stack, they multiply. +10% and +20% end up as +32%, not +30%.

Edit: Now add Bloodlust and Autonomy for a total of +281%.

\/ Drain stamina like a motherfucker though. My Ranger is a mushroom addict.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jun 28, 2012

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is there any quests/plot after the Duke sics an infinite number of guards on me? Or is it just "jump in hole, look for Wakestones"?

Also, what am I supposed to do with all these locked portculli in the everfall?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

It's based on XP earned, not time.

I've opened dozens of chests in the Everfall and literally not found a single piece of equipment. Even the 'fancy' chests always contain consumables. Am I doing something wrong?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

TehGherkin posted:

That's really weird, didn't you get the message about your follower returning from assisting another Arisen in the realm? I definitely sent her back with a rating, gift and full plate. :ohdear:
vv

Did you sleep at an inn after doing so? Pawn releases only upload once you sleep.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Bakalakadaka posted:

You probably missed his wings or tail. Both parts suck to kill.

Tail is grabbable. The inner half of the wing I stabbed from his back, but I had to use my bow to finish the wings.

You don't have to hit a heart precisely. If your blows are causing purple blood then you're doing damage.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

It's a JRPG, what did you think was going to happen?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Seemenaked posted:

Ranger pawns surprise the hell out of me everytime they bust out great gamble. I've had a ranger nearly one shot a drake on a few occasions now. I'm curious if you throw someone off a ledge and narrowly miss getting caught by the guards, how long do they stay mad at you? Does anyone have a quick method for leveling vocations? I am just starting my pawn on sorc and I forgot how awful it is to level.

Head north from Gran Soren at night and massacre enormous hordes of dire wolves.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Also I just found out that if you do ruinous sigil and stuff with the Eden's Warden, it doesn't automatically make them fire. Laaame.

They don't look like fire, but they do set things on fire. At last that was my experience.

Does anyone know all the points you can use a Wakestone? There's the blacksmith's son, Julian, and who else?

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jul 2, 2012

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Seemenaked posted:

I did that with Fedel's affidavit, so maybe I am in the clear. I just sorta panicked when I got thrown in jail and got a message saying trial was nearing and it didn't give me a days left counter.

You can get Fournival found innocent with no forgeries / fake affidavits at all. The three genuine petitions and the witness from the Stone of the North, with no counterveiling evidence, is enough for Not Guilty.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Pierson posted:

Man I really hosed up. I saved before handing in the Wakestones for the final ending and then went ahead to do it just to see the ending again. Now both that save and the autosave take me to after I handed them in but before I jumped. Now I can't fight Ur-Dragon or finish up the Everfall. Guess this is the excuse I need to go through again with a new class.

So so know about New Game +? You can start killing the Ur Dragon from day 1, and pretty sure you can explore the Everfall as soon as you get to Gran Soren.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Seashell Salesman posted:

I definitely couldn't figure my way into the Everfall in NG+ before the usual time it opens up?

I could be wrong then :(

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You get dragon-bits for hurting him, and special-weapons for killing him.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'm trying to punch my way through a new game+ at the moment.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I absolutely *cannot* find the last heart on this Ur-Dragon. It's not the wings, not the tail, not the head (not the back, not the feet, not the chest). Took him down to 2 bubbles in the first engagement, then spent 2 more looking for this heart.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I stabbed those out before he enraged. There doesn't seem to be anywhere at all that isn't zombified.

There's no way to reset the ur-dragon is there?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

jerichojx posted:

Also of course 1 on each wing.

2 on each wing.
I definitely got his hands, but I'll be taking a close look at his hips and knees when I get up. Thank you everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Another bizarre thing I've noticed about the AI is that over time my pawns get increasingly obsessed with staying in the middle of the screen and generally getting in the way as much as possible. I have no idea what makes them do this, but it starts roughly in the middle of the game and tends to last for most of the rest of it. They're so concerned with getting in the way that if I jam the camera as far into a corner as I can, they'll still push against the wall and try to cram themselves into any available screen space they can. If I rotate the camera around myself they'll run in circles to try to stay in the screen. Once again, Freighter S. and Herr Komrade weren't obnoxious about this at all but for some reason my third and fourth pawns are.

Make sure they haven't become Guardians from too many battle commands.

• Locked thread