Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Get the last copy Best Buy had, get it home, go to install it... 360 makes some ugly, ugly noises and the install won't start.

So hurray, either my copy of the game is hosed in the ear or my 360 is dying. Again. For about the fourth time in a year.

Lemme kill some manticores and poo poo, god dammit! :argh:

E: Thought it might be the hard drive, but the game saves/loads just fine and plays alright without being installed. Obviously I don't want to just play from the disc, though. Anyone got any ideas?

ChibiSoma fucked around with this message at 15:38 on May 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

My copy did this too. I think it may be something with the game as other things install fine. I just kept trying and it eventually installed without trouble.

Okay, it's good to know it isn't just my copy then. I'll keep giving it a go. Thanks for the info, man. I want to get to killin' giant things!

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Chick3n posted:

The new disc format games can have trouble installing. Disconnecting from Xbox Live first should work.

Didn't for me. I had to just give it a little more time, and eventually it started to install. Thought I read somewhere it was just due to preparing the abnormally large amount of files it needs to transfer or something, but I'm not sure. Didn't know there even was a new disc format.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Chompers posted:

DD uses a new variant of copy protection in which additional data is stored in the very edge of the disk, an area normally left blank. This coupled with the games 43,000 files makes the 360 hang at the start of installation, it can take up-to 5 minutes for the drive install location prompt to appear and over 15 minutes to install.

I think this might be something worth putting in the first post of the thread. Most people are going to be installing the game, and suddenly having the game apparently not want to do that might freak some people out. It's useful information to have handy. It's normal, but you're gonna need to go have a sandwich or something while you wait, because it's gonna take some time.

NESguerilla posted:

^^^were you just cancelling/restarting the install?

I let it roll for about 2 minutes and nothing happened the first few tries. It took about 3 1/2 for it to actually give me the installation bar.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Hey guys, want to feel better about your own skills at this game? DarksydePhil has started an LP. For those unfamiliar, he's a youtube LPer who bitches about his difficult job of being a youtube LPer, is insanely misogynistic, laughs like Skull from Power Rangers, loves his own jokes, and is 100% awful at every game he plays. He also uploads like 30+ videos a day or something crazy like that.

Dude's awful is what I'm getting at here. Get some alcohol and see how long you can watch his stuff before you want to punch him. Take a sip any time he blames his controller or lag, 1 sip any time he says something racist, sexist, or bigoted, and finish your glass if you actually make it all the way through the video. He's a comedy goldmine for all the wrong reasons. Guy's got almost 12,500 videos uploaded. And that's just on that channel. He basically plays and records himself playing every major release.

Seriously, if you can make it through the first minute of part 3 and not want to dropkick him, you're a better person than I.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Jeez. Is there any way to see what kind of level range you should be in for any given quest, or is it a 'try it and come back later if you die' scenario?

I thought I was doin' pretty good in this Everfall quest I got right after entering Gran Soren, but then that Cyclops came and beat my team up but good. I jumped on his back and tried attacking his neck, motherfucker jumped into the air, spread his arms and legs, and fell on his back. Which is to say, on me. :mad:

No way I'm tacklin' that bad boy again! We weren't doin' squat to his health. The undead were hitting sort of hard, but my mage pawn can do the holy magic enchant, so we were tearin' through those.

Woof, man. It's rough, but it hits that spot Dark Souls left when I finished it. Good times!

E: Less good times. This Negotiation quest sucks cyclops nut. Where the hell are these people? So in this massive-rear end town, I'm supposed to find this dude's wife and kid? Well they certainly aren't marked. And the spot Pip apparently ran to? He's not here. There's a barn with a red circle on it, but there's gently caress-all here. I've waited a day already and nothing. The hell do I need to do to complete this?

ChibiSoma fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 23, 2012

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
...The gently caress did I just get arrested for?

I found that rear end in a top hat Pip on the roof of the barn, and I was jumping around trying to figure out how to get to him. Suddenly, a guard goes 'It's no use struggling' and here I am in jail. This is some poo poo.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I can't get Pip off the barn, I can't check out the Everfall because the Cyclops is too hard, I can't go after the grimoire because the bandits are too hard, and I apparently can't advance the plot any further because I still can't get in the castle.

The gently caress can I do? Because I've apparently run out of stuff in town and would like to, y'know, kill big monsters some more!

E: vvv How the hell do you get up there? I'm not seeing ladders or climbable spots anywhere.

ChibiSoma fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 23, 2012

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Haha. I went back to the Everfall to see about that ogre thing.

I dunno if my main pawn mage blinded him somehow, if I shot him in the face enough, or if the AI is just kinda derpy. Homeboy ran his rear end off the edge of the path and fell to his death. :downs: I love that that's possible.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Killsion posted:

For all the "Why is the water killing me?" etc questions, it is some fog-like creature called The Brine that lives in the water. It is pretty much everywhere and nowhere hive-mind kind of entity. If you fall into the water and "die" you don't actually die, just get teleported back to shore, so don't worry too much about it.

In your hometown, you can talk to a soldier on the beach who explains a little about The Brine! They are many and they are one. They are Legion. They... don't want you taking shortcuts across the water or you could've just caulked a raft, made the bison thing stand on the hydra head, and Oregon Trailed your rear end to Gran Soren. :v:

I love the armor for the mage, but my strider main's still kinda... pauper-ish. My mage looks like he came out of Anime Oliver Twist.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Man, I'm having a time of it trying to find a quest I can actually do. :(

Troublesome Tomb I can't do because I get swarmed by about a dozen bandits and get torn to absolute shreds, Land of Opportunity I can't finish because the hell I'm spending 30K gold on that blowjob, The Cypher I got no leads on, and A Fortress Beseiged is somewhere a million miles away and the only path west I can find is the one that takes you into bandit country.

I guess I'm going to do the long, slow, boring haul back to Gran Soren again to just grab every single quest on both the Hunt and the board and hope I can find one to do. Was trying not to just load myself down like that, but I guess that just isn't how it works. Main's level 17, as is my pawn. Guess I need to get a couple new pawns, since both of those are 13. Don't think it'll help much with this bandit problem though. Those guys hit hard! Certainly isn't going to help me figure out how the hell to get from Point A to Point B, though.

Should I be wandering off the beaten path? Keep hearing tales of people doing that and then getting stuck in Really Bad Places. There's a mine behind the pawn camp that the hydra attacks. Is death lurking in there, or is it safe to poke around?

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Is it weird that I like giving pawns skeleton keys when I trade them in? Seems like a nice enough gift to leave for someone. What do you guys give?

GT is the same as it is here, pawn's name is Arma. He's around L18 right now and... actually kind of looks like a young Soma Cruz at the moment.

E: Okay, I give up. I'm just gonna play the game with a FAQ open. None of these quests - not a loving one of them - I can complete. Just tried to altar of the water god and the lizardmen ripped my entire team to shreds before we could even get into the room with them. So enough of 'discovering' things on my own. Gonna get a guide and actually enjoy the loving game now.

ChibiSoma fucked around with this message at 13:31 on May 24, 2012

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Took a step back and decided to go back to the start of the game and quest around that place. It was a good idea! Even when I jumped in the well and there were lizardmen down there for... some... odd reason, they weren't so ungodly strong that I stood no chance. Also? Making my snot-nosed pawn smarter about quests seemed like a good idea.

But oh man, I want to punch that dumbass who keeps running off, collapsing, and demanding herbs from me. He's voiced by Vic Mignogna too, so his voice is extra douchey. He's run off to Witchwood, which is where the bandits from hell live. So I'll wait a while on going there if I can. Getting some better skills and armor for my team, learning combining stuff a little more (five hundred recipes for backfat!), and I'll look around for quest boards in the first couple hubs. I didn't even know the pawn camp had a quest board!

I figure I'll go into Witchwood for dipshit up there and the grimoire then trudge back to Gran Soren to buy that fop a place to live. And maybe if I've got the extra funds and I can still lean the quest in my favor, I'll buy the land from the old bald guy himself. Seems like that's the 'good' end to that quest. Is that possible at this point? I've got him to the "Maybe you could buy me a house for 30 grand, Arisen ser?" point. If I pay the 80K to the landowner, can I come out on top?

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Loofa08 posted:

I get murdered everywhere I go. I constantly feel like I'm in the wrong area. Like I've somehow wandered into the end game area where every person is level 100 or something. Or is this game just this brutal? (This coming from someone who has beat Dark Souls).

Did you do what I did, ignoring all side quests until you reached Gran Soren, then wondered why everything was giving you a red-rear end beatdown? Yeah, there's a few things you can do around town, but most of it will either cost you money or put you up against poo poo that you probably aren't in the right level range for.

My suggestion? Head back to the starting town. Dick around there for awhile. There's stuff to be done. Not to say it's that much easier, the game will always have that Dark Souls-esque 'I will kick your rear end and gently caress you if you haven't saved recently' air about it, but it'll give you some easy levels.

Also, gear and skills are important! If you don't have the funds for either, make a few walks between the starter town and Gran Soren if none of the quests you have is doable. Beef your guys up, get some pawns out of mothballs around your current level, and keep plugging away. Eventually things will start clicking into place.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I really, really wish there were multiple save slots. :( Lemme test drive the other classes without committing to them on my main, Capcom, c'mon.

Wonder if that's something that could even be patched in. Doesn't seem like it. Just feels like if I go and switch vocations for awhile, I'm stat-gimping my character. Both the one I was and the one I want to be.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Where the sam hell is Valmiro? I'm chilling at the bandit camp in Vestad Hills, I got the grimoire already, but dude's nowhere to be seen. The map mark seems to indicate he's somewhere in the main campgrounds, but he's not down there. Is he below the encampment somewhere?

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ArubaIsAwesome posted:

Did anyone else just get a "Dragon's Dogma service isn't available" message on Xbox?

Also, warrior is a whole lot more fun that I was expecting. They really put a lot of effort into making the classes fun.

Yup. Seems the servers are flaky at times. I've gotten it a few times since I got the game. Worst part is you still have to sit and watch the Accessing Server bar stall out after you 'sleep' at the inn. :v:

Lemme update my pawn, game!

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

DrNutt posted:

That's how I ended up with my giant mage. Four or five tiny women come strolling out, and in walks a gigantic support mage with a big bushy beard and a deep voice. It's amazing because he has obviously been coached to be timid as gently caress by his creator, so the experience is uncannily similar to running around with a protective Hagrid character.

vThat sounds great. I wonder if the two-handers clip through the ground with a character that small? What is your GT? I'd love to give GnomeChomsky (best name) a go in my party.v

I'm sad I haven't seen any of the silly pawns other folks in the thread have. Also kinda sad I didn't just go bugfuck and make the ugliest hunchback motherfucker ever. Pawn seems to be getting a decent amount of use, though, considering I didn't make him Clothesless Anime Girl. Actually picked the smuggest sounding voice out of the lot. Looks ridiculous coming from a tiny wizard.

What kind of party makeup are you guys using? My main's a Strider, pawn's a Mage, I've been rolling Strider/Fighter for backup. Trying Strider/Mage this time to see how two mages on a team roll. With two Striders, poo poo's getting knocked into the air and set on fire constantly. I kind of want to roll with a 4-Strider party at some point just to see how silly it gets.

Anyone actually tried a party of four base classes yet?

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Just finished with the Altar quest finally. A few levels and knowledge of how to deal with them made those lizardmen way easier. Except those chameleon guys, those are assholes! Only two really bad parts of that dungeon. One were those ghost things on the lower level. I... am not entirely sure how to actually deal with them. I guess only magic works? My arrows did nothing and my daggers couldn't reach. So I had to wait for my pawns to stop aiming their spells into pillars.

And then getting poisoned, having no healing items, which meant having the two mages in my party spamming their healing spells at me. Which... y'know, good under normal circumstances, really bad indoors on narrow platforms over water!

Looking at my quests, there's nothing really interesting I want to go for next, so I may wander the lands for awhile. See if I can't run across some big monsters. Valmiro's still not around, so I've decided the quest is bugged or something. Dude is nowhere in the area he should be.

Would it be worth it changing my main pawn mage into a sorcerer? Or should I keep him as a mage? Losing the healing spell would kinda suck, especially since I just got the upgraded version. The sorcerer's Miasma spell worth the trade-off?

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I have no idea how I just survived all that.

So... I went back to the bandit's fort in Witchwood, right? Figured I'd see if Valmiro was there. He wasn't. So I guess he died somewhere and I have to wait for him to respawn or something. By the time I carved through all the enemies in the way, it was night. So I figure, what the hell, I'll go along the coast and see what I can see.

What I can see, apparently, was an armored cyclops with what looked like a fire-enchanted club. drat thing was glowing red, anyway. So on the edge of this tall-rear end cliff, we engage the stupid thing and somehow no one gets batted off. So I keep going through the trees since there was a cliff ahead. I check my map and see I'm near one of my unfinished quest destinations so I head off towards it. ...And run straight into Devilfire Grove.

:cry: Oh god I didn't want to be there! I've seen people mention what was there! Sure enough, I swing the camera around and there it was, literally staring at me from about 20 feet away. I don't know how this loving thing snuck up on us, even in the dark. Hell yes I ran. I ran for all I'm worth, but I was up against the side of the cliff and there were goblins everywhere. My entire party was flipping their poo poo and so was I. Somehow, despite having to about-face to run back to pick my main pawn up after he got set on fire, we escaped.

Laying siege to the goblin-infested fort was cakewalk after that. Especially using the mounted weapons to chip away at the two cyclops for a bit. So uh... moral of the story, don't decide the best time for exploring is the dead of loving night, I guess.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I really hope the speed running community takes to this game. It'd be interesting to see how fast the game could be blitzed, I think. Sadly we'd probably just get a bunch of NG+ runs and no one ever touches the base from-the-start game. Kinda like why RE4 runs are so poo poo. :v: Ain't nothin' interesting about seeing people go through the game with the uber weapons. I watch speed runs to see skill, and I think this game's a good target for some really skilled, impressive feats.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The catacombs crawl gave me such ugly flashbacks to Blighttown. All it was missing was the lag. Urg. It was a fun dungeon, though! Babby's first ogre fight. First real ogre fight, anyway. I killed the one under the pawn shop, but that was only because it wandered off the edge. Not too different than a cyclops, just thicker skin. They still burn nicely.

Switched my vocations around. Main went from Strider to Ranger, pawn went from Mage to Sorcerer. Been going alright so far. I've been renting out Mage pawns in case I need healing. Ranger's fun! Decided I was sick of sidequests so, at L30, I went to see the Duke. The hell quests did it remove, my quest log's still got like two dozen unfinished quests in it. Confused.

Also, the cutscene with him and the duchess both kinda show that the Arisen's this goggle-eyed mute who just kind of gapes and stares at everything like Link would. My main's a young girl with a bow that's literally larger than she is, so I'd imagine she doesn't actually have a clue what's going on and just rolls with the punches, because she's just staring straight ahead through everything. Or maybe she's related to Gordon Freeman.

If you don't talk to the Duchess a few times, how long does the awesome jester's hat stick around? My Arisen looked ludicrous with it. Speaking of awesome, impractical crap, I'm so sad that the robes I found in the catacombs have less defense than my pawn's current getup. It looked like the cultists' robes. Dark Souls will spoil you in regards to outfitting your character in a way that looks good, rather than being practical. Bit more important here, considering how hard the big monsters hurt.

I was kinda unsure of Ranger at first, but man... started the first(?) griffin quest. Shooting a mess of flaming arrows at it, setting the entire thing on fire, then pelting it until it falls out of the sky is completely awesome. Can you shoot it down over the ocean? What happens? Does the second half of the quest not trigger?

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Dan Didio posted:

So how the gently caress do I catch this thief in the starting town? I hit him, try to grab him, he just shrugs it off and keeps running, I try to chase him, he runs out of town and I fail the quest, I try to just grab him straight up, he shrugs it off and runs out of town.

EDIT: I got him. What a stupid quest.

Step 1) Go Strider.
Step 2) Ensnare.
Step 3) RT/R2.

I chased the bastard around trying to do it legit for awhile before shrugging and just throwing wires at the bastard to catch him up. Shoulda done it from the start, would've saved me a few minutes.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So I finally got back into the game. I'd stopped midway into the big griffin kill quest for the Duke's sidekick guy, halfway to the ruined castle. Picked up, ran my rear end towards it, promptly got killed by bandits in the cliffs. Well poo poo. Reset back at the outpost castle not far from Gran Soren, decide to just hoof it. Made it back, ran past the bandits, killed some undead, poo poo went down... and I arrived at the ruined castle without a loving single guy as backup.

With a griffin on the loose.

With two healing items left.

Well poo poo.

I sniped the harpies from outside of where they could apparently aggro on me, made my way in, nearly got killed by skeletal mages a few times, and finally make it up top where the griffin was chillin' out. I take potshots from the doorway for a bit, then walk out a ways when I can't see it anymore. Oh hey, some dudes trying to open a gate! Somehow, I completed the events out on the edges there without dying, but I was loitering around 200HP for a long-rear end time.

Got to the top, dude I gave that grimoire thing to shows up and promptly does gently caress-all since I was hiding on the stairs near where the king's men were fighting the griffin, and it becomes the longest, slowest, most boring fight ever. Tenfold Shot with the occasional charge-in to melee on the few times it fell down. Grabbed the teleport stone doodad and hauled rear end out. Grabbed enough mushrooms to run and not look back, took a wrong turn, and stumbled into a friendly camp.

Got my team reassembled and ran back to Gran Soren. Not sure how the gently caress I survived that one. Thinking of trying Magic Archer out. Ranger's fun, but MA looks like it can be a load of fun too, once I level it up a bit. It's strange, when I started as a Strider, I was mostly full-dagger with only occasional bow use. That's pretty much turned completely around now. I much prefer the bow to my melee weapons.

This game, man. Running through the pitch-black crevices between cliffs after your lantern goes out, leading a nighttime assault on a ruined castle, and a battle with a giant monster that went from just before dawn to just after nightfall. It's a hell of a thing, the big fights in this.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Really?

Jesus Christ the AI in this game is some of the worst I've ever seen. Enemies never get easier because there's all of five weapons I've used over the course of the game because apparently there's one weapon vendor in the whole of the god drat world and he never gets any new stock in. Wanted to go back to whatever the gently caress the ruined castle was, and my entire team gets slaughtered by ogres and harpies. And my last saved game apparently didn't 'save' or something because it defaulted me back to the last checkpoint save.

Which was when I got new pawns out.

Six hours ago.

Thanks, Capcom!

E: Oh wow, it's before I got new pawns out. That's some kinda checkpoint system there you inept shitheads. Maybe if I could save in multiple slots this kinda poo poo wouldn't happen!

Hey, here's an idea for the sequel: Not creating spell effects so god drat thick you literally can't see through them! That'd be real rad! I might've been able to see the ogre charging at me if I could've seen through my two mages' loving giant cloud spell effects! And maybe a quest system that wasn't total poo poo, that'd be pretty great, too! If I had any clue what I was supposed to do for half the quests in my log, I might be having more fun!

Where's a gold idol? Who the gently caress knows because the game literally tells you nothing and gives you no map indicators. I gave in, stole the bronze one from Mister Burnt-Arms and gave it to the drat blacksmith. And I found that by accident because I wondered if he served an actual purpose as opposed to 'here's a character that seems important but nope' and went back to inspect his cave. How is it 2012 and quests are this vague?

I never found that guy from the starting village out near the bandits' camp. He never loving spawned anywhere in the area the quest marker claimed he was. I searched all around the place and he was simply nowhere. Quest is still cluttering my log, though! Still claiming he's there! I waited around the clock and he never popped in anywhere. Where's a snakeskin purse? No clue! Who's Selene and where is she? Your guess is as good as mine.

Think I should just play this with a guide open. Convinced as this point that if you want to do anything but dick around, that it's the only way to enjoy yourself.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Does a solid LP of this game exist yet? Early on it was kinda comical and rough. People either didn't 'get' the game and fumbled around or they just dropped it midway in when they got bored.

E: vvv That describes basically all that guy's videos. He's like DSP levels of poor gaming skills.

ChibiSoma fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Mar 5, 2013

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'd say the quest system needs an overhaul, too. My first playthrough, which I abandoned so I could start fresh today, I had a quest that I couldn't complete. There was a map marker out in the woods en route to the fort you fight the two cyclops in, and I guess I was supposed to find some guy I'd already saved twice before. He never showed up anywhere. I kept checking back every few in-game days, but nope. Not in or around the bandit camp anywhere. Couldn't get rid of the quest, it never failed, dude just did not show up.

Fixing weird things like that and adding in proper fast travel would be lovely. Slogging back through long areas that don't have much in them aside from annoying wolf/harpy fights over and over got pretty tiresome pretty quick.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
It's the small things I love. Things you don't plan to happen but end up being way more fun than what you were expecting.

I was gonna go get revenge on a chimera that was out by the stone fortress near where the Dragonforged and his idiot-man are lounging, since he wiped me out earlier on. Unfortunately I wasn't minding the time of day, so I reached the fortress at sunset. I went out past it to try and find where the chimera was pacing, but it was nowhere to be seen.

You know what was there? Every dire wolf that's ever existed in history. No joke, I was fighting packs of dire wolves from sunset to mid-morning the next day. It was a continuous stream of them. I'm pretty sure I've rendered them extinct. A pack of skeletons got raised at some point, but I barely noticed them because a god drat cyclops had set up camp nearby, and one of my rogue arrows bounced off his head and made him get up and lumber on over to join in the war.

I went for a simple chimera kill and ended up in one of the longest continuous fights I've ever had in a game and it was awesome.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
To your left: They're masterworks alllll.
To your right: The endless void of terror and despair!

:psyduck: That just happened. If I had known the game went this far up its own rear end after you fought and beat the dragon, I would've done it way sooner. That was a surprisingly interesting fight. A little clunky, but what isn't. I'm a Ranger, I didn't have any issues hittin' him. And then I stoned back to Gran Soren and everything went right to poo poo.

Bet Duke Wizenedbeard there is doubly mad at me. I broke his city and stole his wife.

Walked from the starting town to the pawn camp and good lord at those enemies. Gonna take awhile to get gear that's good enough to actually hurt a lot of these things, isn't it? I beat the game right around 40-41, so I'm probably a bit underleveled for the post-game.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
God drat kill-stealing ocean! :argh:

Went venturing out from Gran Soren (I Ferrystone'd there after getting to the pawn camp) to see what the surrounding area was like. Decided to travel to the Dragonforged's place to see if his pawn had anything to say. A blue dragon popped up around the abandoned castle out there, and I ran for it. On the way back, I figured what the hell and engaged it.

Got one of its life bars down and it took to the skies. I thought I'd be clever and try shooting it down to insta-kill it. I'd knocked cyclops and ogres off cliffs and still got the XP for killing it, after all. I figured dropping a dragon into the sea would do the same! It fell into the ocean and never came back up. But I didn't get anything. It wasn't until I was nearly back at the bridge that a Quest Failed alert came up. :mad: Poseidon did not approve of my offering, it seems!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So the game has a speed run mode - that work off a fresh save? If so, are there any runs up anywhere from a new game? All the ones I've found were NG+ runs. Or is that the only way you can do it? The main story seems pretty short, but the side quests can be too long and involved.

I think a 100% speed run shouldn't have to include any escort quests. Or time sensitive ones unless you got some weird, perfect route down. I'd watch a speed run that did all quests minus the escorts, anyway. As long as it wasn't NG+. Kinda takes some of the entertainment away. It's like RE4 speed runs where people only seemed to do NG+ with the super weapons. That's boring to watch! It also doesn't take any skill!

What would even be the best setup for something like that?

• Locked thread