Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

Azraden posted:

Haha holy poo poo this game got even more insane. (NG+ post-game ending spoilers)
So when I beat it the first time I fought god and it was the dude from the prologue. Now I just got to the point again and it's a woman I've never seen before! What the gently caress is going on? :psyduck:

edit: Also her pawn looks exactly like her and her name is in Japanese.

Maybe The game uploads a version of your Arisen as well, and in any subsequent NG+ it chooses a random Arisen and their pawn? Makes sense considering the game seems to like the whole parallel worlds and endless cycle thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

Azraden posted:

So after finishing it twice, I still have some super-spoilery questions about the ending. I never get a chance to read/here what the final boss is saying about the cycle since I'm too focused on the fight. Is the god-person you're fighting also the dragon? So the arisen becomes god AND the dragon? When you stab yourself so there's no god, does that mean you broke that cycle, so no more dragons? Also did your pawn become infused with you (you wake up on the beach and out of your mouth is the pawn's voice saying "MASTER!") or are you dead and your pawn's soul living in your body?

I remember people making jokes that this was going to have some sort of insane twist at the end. More right than they ever thought they would be.

Well,

Presumably all failed arisen at that point become the dragon and are used by the god-person to lead on more potential Arisen. As for defeating the cycle, it's ambiguous. Particularly I think the cycle is still unbroken because the Godperson pulled Godsbane out of their chest right about where you stabbed yourself. I'm thinking you destroyed your physical form but your soul is still leading things up there. Plus, if it was that easy to kill yourself as God-dude I imagine Savan would've done so a long time ago.

As for the Pawn thing, if you do Selene (the witch)'s quests you find out that all pawns eventually become more and more like their master, taking on parts of their soul. Selene herself is a pawn given life after her master died. If you had high affinity with Selene during the ending she says specifically that the pawn is like her now.

And yes, this ending is quite crazy. I like how it seems to choose a random Arisen and Pawn on NG+ though.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

skinny white boy posted:

Did you not pick up on the part where your pawn becomes you and whatever you were is gone? You are supposed to break the chain and pass the world on to your followers. Pretty much God is supposed to create the world and then leave it, removing interaction and providing free choice (your pawn is now the master).

In regards to the ending:

I think you don't kill yourself. Perhaps it could be seen as discarding your physical shell in a sense. There are a couple of things that tip me off about this:

1. The way the final boss removes Godsbane from his chest in the same position (or close to it) that you stab yourself. Judging from his demeanor as well, if it was as easy as killing yourself I imagine he would've done so much longer ago.

2. In NG+ your Arisen becomes the Seneschal of another person's world. NG+ also refers to the eternal cycle. Could just be a silly reference but since DD seems to like the whole cycle thing...

As an aside, Selene's story explains why your pawn becomes you. As a pawn travels with the master and learns more about the world, they become their master. A pawn is a fragment of the master's soul without any will of its own that slowly becomes human as time goes on. Selene was originally a pawn but gifted life by her master. Plus during the ending she directly says that your pawn is just like her, interestingly enough.

I think the ending is ambiguous enough that there's a lot of different ways you could look at it.

FZeroRacer fucked around with this message at 22:20 on May 31, 2012

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

Kilometers Davis posted:

Also, anyone care to post your "and then Dragon's Dogma really clicked with me moment"?

There are three points for me. First one was when a harpy caught me and dropped me from high as hell, only for my pawn to catch me on the way down. I was all :aaaaa:

Second point: During the Mercedes duel If you kill Julian and then revive him with a Wakestone, he'll appear in the castle dungeons and you can talk to him to receive his shield.

Finally, when I got Instant Reset.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

Marogareh posted:

I thought abyssal riposte was lovely since it's dark elemental but on perfect block it sprays out torpor all over the place which makes everything trivial.

The best counter for MKs is Demonswrath by far. Charging it all the way up and letting loose on foes in BBI, instantly killing them never gets old. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

For me, mystic knight is about casting sigils + magic cannons right under giant enemies (or making one a bit away and luring them in) so it does absolutely stupid damage. If I'm gonna fight at long range I'll just be a sorcerer or something.

As for ripostes, does it really do enough damage to justify the fact that you are deliberately putting yourself in harm's way in order to use them?

Absolutely, yes. Abyssal Riposte shits Torpor all over the place and Demonswrath, ohhhh man. Every time you get a perfect block with Demonswrath on you charge up your shield and at max power you can use the skill again to fire a huge blast that can wipe out most foes in one hit.

• Locked thread