Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
God drat it, I still have to wait 3 days
drat you Australia :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Got my copy of it today, impressed with it so far outside of the constant chattering of the pawns. A little sad to see I can't run with 3 rangers, but oh well.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Count Uvula posted:

? You should be able to use 3 rangers, they're the advanced strider. Is there some artificial party limitation I'm not aware of?

Oh! Sorry, I meant viably. I've heard that some foes are weak to only magic, so it makes having 3 rangers not really viable.

e: also meant strider v:shobon:v

Zeruel fucked around with this message at 04:30 on May 24, 2012

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Ok, that's just really killed my drive for this game:
I can ignore one of my pawns disappearing so I have to 3v2 two ogres, one armoured. Still came out on top. After that, I ran around and got an ambush quest, and suddenly a giant purple earth golem appears. It takes me literally half an hour to kill, and despite the crappy loot, I'm pleased with myself. I venture onwards and find a chimera. We duke it out, but then the chimera leaps about spazzily and takes me out. Fair enough, I think. I'll just head to the town when I come back. Unfortunately, I'm not spawned at the place I killed the golem. I'm at the last place I saved, which was grand soren.
:suicide:

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Finally read through all 50 pages since I last visited this thread! Now I feel like I can properly post. :woop:

This is a really fantastic game. I'll really be looking forward to starting an entirely new game when I have proper internet and making proper support Pawns. What would be the most popular Pawn to summon, a support Mage or an in-your-face, balls-to-the-wall warrior who gives naught fucks? As far as I know Sorcs are overdone and no-one wants a Ranger Pawn? Also looking through the thread, I remember seeing someone mentioning someone elses Pawn throwing a whole bunch of living enemies off cliffs. How does one manage to encourage their pawn to do so? Clearly, throwing enemies off cliffs is the best part of the game. Or grappling a Chimera or Ogre near a cliff and riding them to the bottom. :getin:

Zeruel fucked around with this message at 07:21 on May 31, 2012

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Blunt Force Trauma posted:

Climbing up a cyclops' back gives me issues as well, if he's swinging at my teammates I'm unable to move up his back, I just dangle there by one hand until he stops swinging (he doesn't) or I run out of stamina. Is there a stat that governs my ability to hold on or move while enemies are moving around?

There are two Strider Augments that aid climbing: Dexterity(Climb Faster) and Arm-Strength(Halves Stamina needed for climbing)

The moment DD clicked for me was... well, there are a few shining moments...

Hurling live enemies(or friendly NPCs) over cliffs
Encountering a big bad for the first time(Oh poo poo a Chimera oh gently caress oh gently caress)
Hiring a Warrior pawn, strolling through the quarry and proceeding to watch cleave an ogre in two. Seriously, about 80%HP to 0%.

Also... whats with everyone comparing DD to De/DaS? I know they're both Japanese Devs creating a 'western' RPG, but DD isn't anywhere near as 'punishing' as the two Soul games.

e:oh yeah and when I went to Bluemoon tower for the 2nd time, fighting Salomet, as soon as I entered the arena, I realised my main pawn died, I had no healing consumables, and my checkpoint save was an hour ago. :suicide: gently caress me that was a grueling battle.

Zeruel fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jun 1, 2012

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Easier time as a Strider/Ranger/Assassin - Use the charge arrow shot to knock him down and keep using it til you reach him.

Surely killing him would have been easier.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Finished the game last night! Im having a really hard time deciding whether or not I want my main pawn as warrior or sorcerer, since my sorc pretty much oneshot a gorechimera.
Can anyone tell me how fun m. Archers are? I'm really diggin the self-immolation thing here.

Zeruel fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jun 2, 2012

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

whale hunter posted:

What does the Sundering Spear Tome do? It says it "splits the earth itself" but I don't know what that means. I tried it on that passage blocked by stone in the Quarry but no luck there.

It's an earthquake spell for you pleb non-magic users
:smuggo:

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Not sure whether or not this has been posted or not, but oh well!

I started a completely new game with my current knowledge, and decided to keep the Rusted Bow, just as a debuffer. I have to say - its pretty great! Sure you're gimped to hell on ranged, but the ability to Fivefold Arrow an enemy twice and have them poisoned and slowed is really great!

I was planning on running Strider>Sorc>Mag. Archer but since I've heard MA is pretty crud until higher levels, I'm thinking I might save that for post game and roll Stri>Assass>MA so I can get Autonomy, then and roll the postgame bosses on my own as MA

ps: beholder/evil eye owns, hydra sucks.

e: also does anyone know if arm-strength affects monsters, or just terrain?

Zeruel fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jun 3, 2012

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

^^^
I didn't the first time around and she still set up shop. I think its another affinity thing.

a kitten posted:

During the course of the game she will be forced to flee the city and you lose her shop

Wait, what, really? This never happened for me...

Zeruel fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jun 3, 2012

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Azraden posted:

killing the cockatrice

Oh, that would explain it then.

I was too poo poo to kill it :smith:

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I was using her recently and she was actually quite good with the exact set of spells I wanted, but for some reason when I fought the cockatrice she just sort of broke. While I circle-strafed with a bow she just followed me around constantly and did nothing in particular, aside from heal occasionally. It was really strange.

Got Assassin up to rank 6 and it's starting to get more interesting. Combining Instant Reset with Easy Kill basically lets me go right from attacking to slitting someone's throat, but unfortunately the damage on it isn't quite what I'd like it to be considering the stamina cost and the need to time it right. Is the upgraded version much better? Also, can you use it on anything besides bandits and skeletons?

Anything that's about people-size, I'm fairly certain. I have memories of using it on Saurians.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Thelonious Monk posted:

What's the best party composition to roll around with? I've been using 2 mage pawns and 1 fighter pawn with my strider. Should I drop one of the mages for another melee type?

For my first game, I ended up with Strider/Assassin(Me), a Sorc Main Pawn, and a healbot hired pawn and a Warrior. I found it rather effective.

also I love some of these quests they give you: "Eradicate 10 deer"

e: OH HOLY poo poo I THOUGHT GRIFFINS WOULDNT APPEAR IN THE WILD UNTIL YOU KILLED THE QUEST GRIFFIN AAAAAAAAA
ee: and it turns out at that point I was close enough to hillfigure knoll for the first time to trigger the cinematic and enter the knoll :smithicide:

Zeruel fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Jun 4, 2012

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Blunt Force Trauma posted:

My plan for a challenge run after I beat the game is to run through with only my main pawn, me as a mage and him as a fighter or warrior. That, or solo as a Warrior or Magic Knight

Make sure you don't get Autonomy from the Assassin Vocation :ssh:

e: I think my pawn must have knocked her head or something, this is the 2nd time she has jumped off a cliff to her death.

Zeruel fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jun 5, 2012

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

I am... Quite worried I have screwed myself.
After meeting the duke for the first time and getting that silly hat on my head, I tried breaking into the treasure room. After 5 or so attempts, I was imprisoned, and lost the funny hat. I have now missed out on meeting the duchess.

What have I done :gonk:

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Oh man. I'm nor sure if anyone else is aware of this, but as magic archer, if you get a holy boon and you have scension, all your melee hits will heal you

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Cakeequals posted:

Scension just does that normally, doesn't it?

But you don't have to cast it :ssh:

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

My opinion of Magick Archer has greatly shifted, once I tried it after maxing out Sorceror Vocations. Hundred/Backfire/High Scension + Sixfold/Hunter/Explosive. :swoon:
Am considering replacing Scension with Magick Rebalancer, though. Considering going Assassin for Autonomy, but I enjoy the company of my pawns too much now. v:shobon:v

As far as I gather, the game is pretty much the same in NG+, right? Quests won't be different, just encounters along the way? I messed up big time regarding the audience with the Duke, meeting with the Duchess in the garden. Now she doesn't appear to exist :confused:

Zeruel fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jun 6, 2012

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

If you mean for the quest Arousing Suspicion, you're supposed to go to her room in the left tower.

I hosed up after meeting the duke for the first time, where you leave the Castle with the party hat on, where She takes the hat off you and swoons all over you. That didn't occur since I decided I would try break into the treasure room, and promptly got thrown in jail, went back to the Manse, and was greeted by Aldous.(spelling?)

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

I think its a matter of certain things you can do to the enemy to gain stars.

Eg: Cyclops have 3(I think?): Tusks can be broken, They will drop their club when their clubbing arm is struck, and they become blind when struck in the eye.

Goblins... They are weak to fire and ice both? Also something about holding them down I think.

:iiam:

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Spork o Doom posted:

He should eventually show up on the roof of a barn near the pawn guild IIRC at which point he will commend your persistence and give up. You don't needed actually physically catch him I don't think.

Thats the first place you find him. 2nd is in the venery under a bridge, at which point he started the running.

Also for Magick Archer, would the Sorc augment for reducing stamina while intoning spells(magic bow) be the one you need, or the Warrior augment?

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Dyatlov Bass posted:

Even though my main pawn was a Sorceror with the High Meteor-whatever spell, I got greedy and made a forgery of the grimoire. The repurcussions were both unexpected and hilarious.

Oh god tell me what happened when you fought the griffin :allears:

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Internet!! :woop:
Added my pawn Noa to the spreadsheet. If you're after someone who will use seism against oxen, this is your gal!

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

^^^
When leaving the encampment, hug the left wall all the way around. Go up a hill, keep hugging, and you'll eventually come across sparse woodland. You're nearing witchwood.

As soon as I got internet, I logged into dragon's and immediately beheld all the little anime girls, even some with pinku~ hair. It made me feel guilty instantly for creating a female myself, but I am justifying it due to the end of the entire game. :colbert:

Zeruel fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jun 7, 2012

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

^^^
What whale hunter said.
Mage/sorc augs are good to have, but unnecessary. The magick archer augs are pretty crap, though. I went from 9/9 strider to 9/9 sorc before hitting up m.archer, and the.things like reducing cast time are quite useful. Overall I'm finding m.archer really fun and quite strong.

Zeruel fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jun 7, 2012

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

As magick archer, finished the game, went to the everfall, and a room had a gorechimera, chimera, Wight. And tons of hellhounds oh god the horror. Only 1 pawn survived since the other two got petrified.

e: New chamber. An arch hydra. After I beat it, there was a chest at the back. In it was a golden egg. :suicide:

Zeruel fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jun 7, 2012

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Welp, another new game down, that's me burnt out on DD :suicide:
Might try go at least for finished ng+ and 10m gold though

e: anyone know if the 350 armour achievement can span games?

ee: or at least knows if you just have to acquire them once, then sell them?

Zeruel fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jun 7, 2012

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

I gave my pawn a pickax and he helped me mine some rocks. Thanks buddy! I'm still surprised at how good and fun the pawn AI is.

Mine just tend to crowd around a single rock and just stare at it because :effort:

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

So... Uh, just rescued the duchess from the manse. As a girl. :psyduck: Kind of out of the blue...

e: oh so thats where you get love in the rough

Zeruel fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jun 8, 2012

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Haha, man, it's the little things that make this game pretty great.
As I walked out of Greatwall, post slaying dragon one of my pawns was making hand gestures, like she was chatting to the other.
"So I was like, 'Shut up you big dumb lizard!', and I smacked him in the face with my mace."
:v:

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Came across a metal golem in everfall. One of the amulets were about 20ft in the air. I was rolling as m.archer/sorcerer/mage/warrior.
:suicide:

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Man the Ur-Dragon is just tedious at gen 60+ Hopefully it auto-resets at 100.

Anyway, whats the Ur-Dragons deal anyway? I keep hearing my pawns say "Strike at the hearts of Arisens", but I have naught a clue.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Bruteman posted:

Holy poo poo, how did I miss this coming out? Stumbled across the thread yesterday and immediately downloaded/played the demo. Definitely picking this up this weekend!

Glad to hear you got a positive review of the game from the demo. It just doesn't express what the game is about. Sure, you roam around, stab some poo poo, but then there's things like shooting a cyclops in the eye, making it stumble, and watching it fall off a cliff. :3:

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

limaCAT posted:

The next Monster Hunter to be this fun.

Monster Hunter Tri had better music/atmosphere :colbert:

e: All I could ask for the next console MH game would be the combat mechanics and open-world of Dogma

Zeruel fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jun 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Uhh...
Just a heads up, don't throw your pawns at Tomlin and his father.
:staredog:
I DIDN'T MEAN TO KILL YOU GUYS IM SO SORRY

• Locked thread