Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Haha just killed my first Golem. That was a pretty fun fight. I really love the battles with big monsters in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Wow the fight up to Salomet is pretty bullshit. A fuckton of really hard to stun archers that fire arrows as fast as a minigun.

Salomet went down immediately though. :| Does he have really low HP or something?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Just fought Grigori. That was an awesome and fun fight (probably helps that his English VA is Kenpachi Zaraki's as well), if a bit easy. Now for post-game poo poo. :toot:

I also have no loving clue which NPC my beloved is. Don't recognize him at all. :v:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Sylphosaurus posted:

I'm still not sure how you are supposed to avoid ending up with the Duchess if you do her questline. I really ought to refrain to do it but I'm an oldschool RPG player, leaving quests unresolved is like nails on a chalkboard for me :(

The wiki suggests making sure her affinity is set to zero before doing the quests, IIRC.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

i don't understand this game.

I just started and i'm fighting bandits, there's doesn't seem to be a dodge or parry button only block and hit. if i block they break my guard and kill me, if i hit they hyperarmor through my hits and kill me. i can't even seem to grab them. i feel like i'm missing some key game mechanics? sometimes my pawn will grab someone and the game will do a 300 camera thing and no matter what buttons i press nothing cool happens

Bandits surprisingly are some of the nastier enemies you'll face. Your ability to dodge or block depends on your class; i.e. classes like strider or ranger get dodge moves, while fighter or mystic knight get sheilds they can block with.

You can do a sort of parry; if you block right before an enemy hits you you'll do a perfect block which will cause the enemy to stagger letting you get hits. Some classes also have abilities that trigger upon doing a perfect block.

Are you traveling the roads at night? Cause you'll encounter stronger/more enemies. Stick to traveling by day until you feel more comfortable with the combat mechanics.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Welp just did the post-game stuff. Pretty interesting. I really like the lore in this game, just wish they could have expanded on it more.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

So the game is supposed to be this difficult :stare:

I couldn't even do the encounter after begrudingly setting the difficulty down to easy, ended up running away. Perfect blocking sounds cool i guess ill try that out. Wish the game would have even hinted at it's existence if it's a core game mechanic

What am I supposed to do when the game goes into slo mo cam?

I just started a new character as a fighter, so another tip: use your skills often, and when you get more, test them on various enemies to figure out which ones are good. i.e. the one skill that you start with is really useful since it will send smaller enemies flying back, leaving them vulnerable to attack or just taking them out of the fight for a few seconds.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I gave up.

Maybe the combat gets fun later but i'm at level 20 with a dagger guy and STILL have no defensive abilities (switched to dagger when someone described it as having a dark souls parry), so combat is just "mash square" and "get healed by pawn" which isn't really fun for me. in the meanwhile the quests/story/running back and forth aren't fun/polished enough to keep me wanting to play more

Different strokes I guess.

Not sure how you're not having fun with the combat though, it's easily one of the better combat systems I've seen in years (certainly the best for an action RPG, save for the Souls games).

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I don't get how the lantern mechanic is a pain in the rear end. For one giving you lightning means they can make night actually dark like it should be (as opposed to something like Skyrim), and the Lantern itself only needs to be re-filled with oil rarely. Only place it may become a bother is in a place with water where it'll go out, but that's kinda the point, as usually those areas have monster ambushes.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The Gunslinger posted:

So I'm finally getting into this and I basically want to break the poo poo out of the game and just have fun with it. I have no intention of doing replays though. Is Magic Archer or Mystic Knight the best way to go? I do have Dark Arisen if that makes a difference.

IMO Assassin is the most fun. You get both swords and daggers to work with, a bunch of useful/fun skills for them, as well as bows (great for killing bigger poo poo) and shields (not that great imo).

Otherwise I'd say go Magic Archer. They get daggers and magic bows, both of which have a fun of useful and fun abilities. Magic Archers have pretty poor magic atk growths, though, so you'll probably want to level a bit as Mage/Sorcerer first. Start as Mage, switch to Sorcerer as soon as you can, max it out for its final two Augments (they give a boost to your magic attack and spell casting speed, respectively), then change over to Magic Archer.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I decided I would try doing Everfall solo with my Assassin since it's my second run through. Got an encounter with two cocks and a horde of goblins. Was a very fun fight, felt very Dark Souls-ey.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Does anyone know how long the quest Bad Business lasts? I want to do the duchess quest for the royal guard armor and love-in-the-rough, but I want to try and get Madeleine as my Beloved instead of the duchess, and want to know if I can still do Bad Business after getting Deny Salvation.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Haha, it's funny facing Golems when you're a Sorcerer. The first one is just a pain as your pawns slowly whittle down its HP. Then the second one is over immediately as all your pawns start climbing and hacking at its weak spots. I do love the AI at times.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

WeaponBoy posted:

I think you can do Deny Salvation safely, but afterwards DO NOT do the following: talk to the Dragonforged, go through the Door at the bottom of the Deny Salvation castle.

What I'd do is do the Duchess quest, then toss her around her room to make her hate you. Next give the ring to Madeleine then go finish the game. If you go straight there after using the Arisen's Bond that person should be your beloved.

This worked. Bad Business did remain available after I accepted Deny Salvation.

Also, been trying Magic Archer, and now that I've got it max ranked (and got a good magick bow from beating Grigori) I can see why people like it so much. Just a shame you can't level up as it much if you want to deal good damage.

e: haha Explosive Rivet is amazing. :allears:

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Nov 3, 2013

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Okasvi posted:

If you haven't already, try spamming ricochet hunter in tight corridors. It makes everything easy.

Yeah I've been doing that in BBI. Just did that and killed a harpy, almost killed an ogre, then finished the ogre off by firing an explosive rivet into its chest, running up and slashing it. MA may been poo poo early on, but now it's awesome.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Haha, just got my un-upgraded Heaven's Key and Dragon's Breath dragonforged thanks to a cursed dragon. :3:

e: Wish I had known the cursed drake with the dark bishop could dragonforce your stuff, I would have equipped another weapon.

ee: Haha, started a new character on another account, and found a Schierke pawn in the encampment. :v:

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Nov 4, 2013

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Just killed Dark Bishop on my BBI only challenge run. Throwblasts OP as gently caress.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Can Masterful Kill parry Death's scythe?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Kingtheninja posted:

Picking this up on PSPlus today, it's been over a year since I played this. I wanted to try out the bow classes this time, but wasn't sure if assassin had that many bow skills? Or should I stick with magic archer/ranger area?

I'd say go either Assassin or MA. They both get really good skills and are arguably the two best classes in the game.

Assassin is nice in terms of stat growth since they have really good ones, meaning you can start as Warrior, switch to Assassin at lv10, and not have to worry one bit about having a poor stat spread. MA, on the other hand, is best if you level for a while as Sorcerer, and have the magic boosting augment the Sorcerer gives you..

They both have access to daggers and (a type of) bow, so which you'd prefer would depend on the abilities of each class, unless you'd like having access to a sword and shield as well, then you'd want assassin. Here's a video showing all of MA's abilities, and here's one for Assassin. If you don't want to check them out (they spoil the post-game, if you haven't done it), my favorite abilities for each class are

Assassin
  • Masterfull Kill (Dagger) - you can parry any non-grab physical attack (giant club from 50 foot giant? no problem) and do a powerful counter. Timing is also quite easy.
  • Gale Harness (Dagger)- doubles the speed of everything you do, lasts for 40 seconds.
  • Back Kick (Dagger) - kung fu kick to send enemies flying
  • Invisibility (Dagger) - constant stamina drain while active, but you're completely invulnerable
  • Fivefold Furry (Bow) - fire 5 arrows with one shot; once you've activated it, all firings will be 5 shots until you activate another skill or put the bow away
  • Lyncean Sight (Bow) - sniper vision bow shot

Magic Archer
  • Grand Scension (Dagger) - send a ball of holy light along the ground in front of you. picks enemies up and constantly hits them, can also hurl them off of cliffs/into pits with this.
  • Magic Rebalancer (Dagger) - Demon's periaps (magic boosting item) that you can use at will, essentially. Stacks up to 4 times and lasts 90 seconds.
  • Immolation (Dagger) - set yourself on fire
  • Sixfold Arrow (Bow) - firing six ice arrows that will hit an enemy multiple times, often stunning them/knocking them into the air
  • Explosive Rivet - fire three explosive arrows that you can then detonate with a melee strike. you can use up to 3(?) at once, and this will stun most foes.
  • Ricochet Hunter - lightning arrows that ricochet and become more powerful with each bounce; virtually useless in wide open areas, ungodly powerful in tight spaces.

If you want my opinion, go Magic Archer. They take considerably longer to get good (though they're by no means awful early on), but once you have a good base magic attack, and a good bow (like the on you can get from killing Grigori), they are loving insane, especially on Bitterblack Isle, the new content included in Dark Arisen.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I just realized Fournival sells infinite Periaps. This aught to make BBI a bit easier.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Sylphosaurus posted:

Yeah, Capcom really hit the sweet spot with this game for me. I can only hope that a sequel is in the works for the next gen consoles.

Well, Capcom is releasing Deep Down for the ps4 sometime in the future. It's a procedurally generated multiplayer(?) dungeon crawling thing that looks pretty similar to BBI in terms of execution, though it's not part of the Dragma IP.

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Nov 6, 2013

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Harrow posted:

Also, and this is just me caring way too much about interfaces, there wasn't any health indicator I could see (and the player didn't seem to take much damage from attacks, probably for demo purposes). I'm wondering if there'll be a health meter of some sort in the actual release, or if it's going to do one of those "damage shows on your character" things instead.

One of the articles I read said that there is a casual mode available (for the demo at the very least) that made things safer.

It would be awesome if you could cripple/chop off enemy's limbs by how you direct your attacks. Reminds me of Shadow Tower Abyss, a bit.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

5er posted:

I've played the poo poo out of this on the XBox, and dont' at all mind the justification to start a fresh game courtesy of my PS+ privileges. Is there any way to 'trick' DA into perceiving an older version was played, in order to get the perks?

If you don't have a save file from DD you can't get the import bonuses. You can get a save online and edit it to be useable by your account, if you want (I saw a post by Gibbed telling how to do this while skimming the thread, no idea where it is).

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

Makes sense. Where do I go to start the Dark Arisen content? I left the game last time in the end game of NG+, I dunno if that affects anything.

Go to the Cassardis docks at nighttime.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

I would be so disappointed if they didn't do that. Also a PC port of Dark Arisen, though that'll never happen. They only need to do three things to make one of the best games, period:

-Fix the open world. It's garbage in DD.

I disagree. It could definitely be a bit more interesting, having more varied locales and maybe some dungeons you can explore that aren't tied to quests, but otherwise it's pretty fun, at least now that it has a fast travel system. I'd hope a sequel would be like DA in that most of the game is open world, but there's a large area that's a really tough dungeon that's best done in chunks as you progress through the story.

quote:

-Fix the quests. I don't mind there being miscellaneous "kill X Y amount of times" quests but that's basically every quest in the game.

So? There's still plenty of good/fun quests (or at least ones that are more interesting). The kill X or gather Y materials quests aren't meant to be done by themselves, they're there so you get bonuses when you're doing other quests.

quote:

-Make the entire plot like everything that happens when the dragon reappears and beyond. Most of the plot is so dull and bland but then it goes insane in the best way possible.

I'd say it's less that the plot's bland and more that there isn't much of a plot prior to the dragon stuff. Otherwise yeah, more plot stuff like what happens after Grigori would be awesome. I do kinda like how you're doing basically nothing or worth for most of the game, instead just being an errand boy. It fits into how the Duke prefers that Grigori stays alive.

Zurai posted:

OK, clearly the starting equipment is wholly inadequate for anything at all because these bandits are impossible for me to defeat on Easy. Where can I get upgraded gear? The only shop I found in the starting town sold herbs and the encampment only had the inn (at least that's the only thing that shows up on the map).

The lovely rusted stuff you start with is fine so long as Rook enchants your weapon(s) with fire. Otherwise you can buy some decent upgrades from a shop in Cassardia, or you can try and brave BBI and do chest runs for slightly higher tier equipment.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Are you supposed to be able to do the quest in the well in the first town right when you get it? The monsters down there seem really tough.

It's totally doable. For best chances you want a full party, ideally with a mage that can buff your weapons, and better weapons than rusted (you can buy slight upgrades from a shop in Cassardis). Like your pawns (are hopefully) advising you, aim for their tails; cutting them off greatly reduces their defences. If you started as Fighter, by any chance, spam the sword skill you started with; it should take 2 or 3 in a row to knock a Saurian on its rear end.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

So, I've fought two bosses now in Dark Arisen (the super cyclops and beholder) and I'm surprised they give you ledges in both fights to hide on. You can still be attacked by the beholder, but if you're a mage you can completely trivialize the cyclops by just chilling out above where he can hurt you. Surprised at the lack of equipment and new spells thus far, but I guess that's all in the cursed relics (or ridiculously expensive in the shop, as per usual).

Item weight continues to be the worst mechanic in video games. :sigh:

I've never had a problem with it in DD. Just store stuff like materials on your pawn until you can unload it.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Harrow posted:

That means if you're specifically looking for Magick Archer gear, you should change both your Arisen and main pawn to Strider or Ranger before purifying.

Aren't the items you get from cursed items set at obtaining the cursed item?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Nahxela posted:

Leg Strength is another handy Augment you can get to improve your weight issues. Though, it's a level 9 Strider Augment, so that'll take some time.

I just get Leg Strength by grinding dp on the guards in the post game. Goes pretty quickly since Strider doesn't take much dp to max. Something I've been wondering, do Asura Armor and Ring of Perseverance make your vocations rank up more quickly too, since that's dp based?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

tooooooo bad posted:

As much as you want. Stats aren't a huge deal thanks to some hilariously busted end game equipment but if you want to play a little of everything it's a good idea to experiment early. Stat growth on level up takes a huge hit once you reach level 100. Again, stats aren't a big deal so don't go nuts min-maxing, just keep it in mind.

e: stat growth explanation http://dragonsdogma.wikia.com/wiki/Stat_Growths

Min/maxing your stats can be useful however, since you do need pretty high damage to kill poo poo in BBI, so min/maxing your damage output a bit can let you tackle it at a lower level.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Harrow posted:

As much as you want.

To be honest, I don't think there's a single vocation that you can do 200 levels in and not end up with kind of wacked-out stats. The old vanilla method of making a high-strength character was just to level Assassin from 10-200, but you end up with low HP, defense, and magick defense if you do that, and so it's not particularly wise.

Except HP and the defense stats aren't important at all. Even with comparatively low HP, there's very little that will actually oneshot you, and if it doesn't oneshot you then you can easily heal thanks to all the healing items the game throws at you. Plus you have enough control over your character to limit how much you do get hit. Atk or Mag Atk and Stamina are the three actually important stats.

If you're going physical attacker, I say switch to Assassin immediately and never change to anything else (though maybe try and max Strider for the really good Leg Strength augment, or Warrior for Clout, a strength boosting augment). It has the best strength growth and nearly best stamina growth, can use bows, shields, daggers, and swords, giving it a lot of variety, and gets some really need class-specific abilities like Masterful Kill and Gale Harness.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

So, I killed the demon at the end of Bitterblack Isle (shorter than I'd expected, I didn't even get any equipment for my character and no weapon upgrades period) but the quest marker is still there. Did the dungeon reset or is there something new at the end? I did notice that my pawn has stars in two unfamiliar enemies.

Item carry weight continues to plague me. I hit average weight at 30 and I really don't feel like finding a place it's even possible for me to grind out vocation ranks for Sinew. I've basically got enough to be just under average with nothing but healing items and the lantern/life stones. Lotta going into a menu and moving your inventory around as a mage.

BBI is Dragma + Souls series + Ghouls n Ghosts. So yes.

Grinding vocations ranks is really easy in the post-game. Get two sorcerer pawns with AOE attacks, and aggro the guards in the Noble's Quarter. There's a short wall to the right that you can jump on. Jump on it, and the guards can't reach you, while your pawns kill them over and over as they keep spawning. You'll get around 80 EXP per guard, making this not just the easiest but best place to get DP. Go do something else for a few hours and come back to find yourself max rank. Equip Asura's Armor and Ring of Perseverance for even faster gains.

e: According to the wiki, armor sets like set of Lady's Trek Ware are "Part of the Gransys Armor Pack, added to the player's stored inventory when Dark Arisen is loaded up (and saved data of Dragon's Dogma is present)." If I started a DA save without importing, then put a DD save on my account, would I be able to get the armor sets?

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Nov 7, 2013

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Shalinor posted:

Restarting for Dark Arisen... and I can't remember which are the annoying Pawn classes to hire for.

What should I focus my primary pawn as? Fighter? Healer? Sorceror?

I make my pawn to shore up any weaknesses the vocations I'm playing as have. So if I'm going primarily physical, I like to have a sorcerer for buffs and high magic damage, if I'm going magic, I like to make a Ranger or Fighter.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Shalinor posted:

Figuring this is the way I'll go (I'm going Fighter/Mage Knight). IIRC, finding a Mage pawn that's equipped right to do proper healing AND enchanting was kind of a bitch, and you end up having to swap them based on the weaknesses of the region you're in, etc.

Gnome Chomsky shall ride again, this time on PS3-side as a fat little magician :3:

Remember that you probably should not upgrade Anodyne at all. It's a lot more difficult for pawns to cast due to its considerably longer casting time.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Kinda wish I hadn't used Blast arrows + Conqueror's Periaps on Daimon. Made the fight a bit less epic than it should have been. Oh well, hopefully when I get to him next time he won't fall so easily.

I do really like the story stuff BBI adds, definitely has shades of Berserk (and so does the main plot, in some ways; thematically it's kinda like a softer Berserk).

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Nahxela posted:

You can also dress up as Guts/Griffith, hooray~

If only it weren't so heavily class restricted.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Does anyone know if Assassin's Ring/Band counts as a red item or a yellow item?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Vincent posted:

I'd imagine you'd have to be a warrior for Guts, but what class do you need for the Griffin armor?

IIRC both armor sets are Fighter/Warrior/MK.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Krinkle posted:

Thanks, I needed to hear that but what is a BBI?

Bitterblack Isle, the DLC content added by DA. You get to it by going to the Cassardis Docks at night. You can easily just run past all the monsters and loot chests for a chance at great gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

a kitten posted:

And just in case you do eventually go into new game plus, you should know that the kid doesn't give you the reward at the end of the quest, you have to go back to her house a bit later (a day, maybe more) and talk to her. Even if you screwed up all the nit-picky poo poo that that quest requires she should still give you something, even if it's just the empty flask from the water.

Nope, you can talk to her immediately after completing the quest and get the idol. Also IIRC you can make sure you get the idol by maxing out her Affinity before doing the quest. Though I've never bothered, since the quest is easy enough to do properly.

• Locked thread